Interesting point that might affect potential draft day partners

24 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I don't see Cincy trading up.  There's a very good chance they get Sewell just by staying put.   

If you were the Bengals what would you do?

1. Trade the #5 plus early 2nd, 3rd and 4th for Sewell OR

2. Stay put, take Sewell if he goes where he's being mocked, and if he's gone, that means draft went QB,QB,QB,Sewell, and you have your pick of the first non-Sewell offensive player or any defensive player and you have your early 2nd,3rd and 4ths.

If we traded 3 picks for an OT like that, We would have JD's head on a pike.

If Cincy hears the Fins will pick Sewel at 3 they may offer almost as much to trade up to 2 to get him as a team would for Fields/Wilson. In any event Jets could have multiple teams trying to get to 2 for multiple players like the QBs or Sewel. If it winds up being a haul Jets should do it unless they have fallen in love with one of the QBs and no matter what don't want to risk losing him.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

DK Metcalf was another one of the WR's I thought the NY Jets should have selected. 

How's he doing in the NFL. 

So did I, genius. 

Because he's a 6'3 225lb monster that ran a 4.3.

This kid doesn't have the frame to hold up. People comparing him to Marvin Harrison forget that Harrison was 15+ lbs heavier than this kid. 

And if you didn't notice, EVERY Wide Receiver from Alabama over the last 5 years has been wide open every game. LOL.  

Taking that kid at #2 for a Jets team that needs help everywhere would be stupid. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

If Cincy hears the Fins will pick Sewel at 3 they may offer almost as much to trade up to 2 to get him as a team would for Fields/Wilson. In any event Jets could have multiple teams trying to get to 2 for multiple players like the QBs or Sewel. If it winds up being a haul Jets should do it unless they have fallen in love with one of the QBs and no matter what don't want to risk losing him.

Maybe.  If you were a Bengals fan, would you be happy with that trade up?  Just asking.   I'd be upset.  I'd rather have the 4 early-in-the-round draft picks than Sewell

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So did I, genius. 

This kid doesn't have the frame to hold up. People comparing him to Marvin Harrison forget that Harrison was 15+ lbs heavier than this kid. 

And if you didn't notice, EVERY Wide Receiver from Alabama over the last 5 years has been wide open every game. LOL.  

Taking that kid at #2 for a Jets team that needs help everywhere would be stupid. 

Slow your roll. 

Fast elusive WR's find way to hold up in the NFL. 

He will definitely bulk a few pounds and add muscle in the NFL. 

DeAndre Hopkins is 6' 1" 214 

DeVonta Smith is  6' 1" 175 

Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry are  5" 11"  190 

Selecting the top WR in the NFL Draft will help this team and QB for many years at a position that has been weak for ages. 

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

We can trade down and pick any playmaker we want 

This.

The idea that one guy like Penei Sewell or Devonta Smith immediately fixes the Jets offense is hard to agree with.

Trading down once, even twice, and getting a guy like WR Chase or TE Pitts along with other players later in Round 1 and 2 is how you start to fix a team that could probably use at least 5 new starters on offense (WR1, TE1, RB1, OG, RT).

So, trade down from #2 and still get a weapon in the middle of the 1st.  Get an excellent RT, C and/or OG prospect in Round 2 and/or 3 and still squeeze in probably two other players with the haul from trading down.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Stay put at #2 and pick a sure thing immediate impact playmaker. 

You need to score points to win. 

You can trade back and still get an impact skill player. Not sure why people act like impact player makers only available in the top 2. So silly. 

• Upvote 2

If JD and Salah stay with Sam we should trade down with a QB needy team.  A QB needy team will pay more of a premium for the #2 pick.  Once we do that we should trade down again.  With that haul  of picks  the sweet spot in the draft will be  late teens to mid twenties to grab edge rushers and a CB.  The rest of the draft we should address the OL and play-makers.  I think we are bound to be stocked with 2022 picks where we can fill in many needs.  This can be a 2 year rebuild especially with our cap money.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Slow your roll. 

Fast elusive WR's find way to hold up in the NFL. 

He will definitely bulk a few pounds and add muscle in the NFL. 

DeAndre Hopkins is 6' 1" 214 

DeVonta Smith is  6' 1" 175 

Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry are  5" 11"  190 

Selecting the top WR in the NFL Draft will help this team and QB for many years at a position that has been weak for ages. 

175? Sure, on Jupiter, or in 'Bamas Press Guide...

If DeVonta Smith is 175, I'm 500lbs. ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

ESPN 

DeVonta Smith

DEVONTASMITH

Alabama Crimson Tide
FOLLOW
  • CLASS
    Senior
  • HT/WT
    6' 1", 175 lbs
  • BIRTHPLACE
    Amite, LA
  • STATUS
    Active

2020 SEASON STATS

• REC
  • YDS
  • TD
  • AVG

That's from Alabamas Press Guide. Where every player gains 2" of height and 20lbs of muscle. ? 

Remember when Kyler Murrary was 6'1 according to Oklahoma? 

• Upvote 3

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Where do you project Devonta Smith to be chosen. 

Devonta Smith isn’t the only play maker in this draft. LOL, people watch a few games and act like he’s the only high end play making prospect. 

I’d much rather trade back to 4, 7 or even 8....pickup a bunch of extra picks and draft a Chase, Pitts, Waddle.

QBs always rise come draft day. Teams will pay a premium to move up.

If JD doesn’t pick a QB most ideal situation is for ATL to offer us a couple of 2s and a 3 to move up. Chase/two second rounders/third rounder >>>> drafting Smith at 2

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's from Alabamas Press Guide. Where every player gains 2" of height and 20lbs of muscle. ? 

Remember when Kyler Murrary was 6'1 according to Oklahoma? 

Bingo!

I'd guess Devonta is closer to 170 lbs.

And, the value of getting a WR like Bateman, Olave, Toney or Rondale Moore later in Round 1 or 2 is much better than taking Devonta Smith in the Top 3 IMO.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, KINGDIRK said:

Devonta Smith isn’t the only play maker in this draft. LOL, people watch a few games and act like he’s the only high end play making prospect. 

I’d much rather trade back to 4, 7 or even 8....pickup a bunch of extra picks and draft a Chase, Pitts, Waddle.

QBs always rise come draft day. Teams will pay a premium to move up.

If JD doesn’t pick a QB most ideal situation is for ATL to offer us a couple of 2s and a 3 to move up. Chase/two second rounders/third rounder >>>> drafting Smith at 2

Falcons are tied to Ryan for 3 more years. I don’t think they can afford to go QB. If anything, I can see them trading back to get more picks.

We need to hope Bengals want to jump Miami for Sewell. We won’t get exceptional over-value but perhaps a 3rd this year and 2nd next.

If the value to trade down isn’t there you MUST take the QB. I don’t think JD.goes Smith at #2. Miami would have a better chance trading out than us IMO and they could still land D. Smith at #4 or #5 to pare with Tua.

• Upvote 1

The likelyhood of the jets taking a player at 2 seems to be less and less likely as time goes on.  In my estimation there are only two scenarios where they select a player 2nd over all.  

1.  They want a new quarterback and dont feel the player they are targeting will be available after a trade down

2. there are no offers worth trading down for. 

It seems likely more than not that they will stick with Darnold next year, and even if a team blows them away in a trade for him, there is not guarantee they will select a QB anyway to the chagrin of some fans. 

I fully expect the jets to trade down, probably in the top 10, and then Id imagine the targets would be either an Edge player or CB.  With OL with the second first rounder unless a WR they love falls. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Falcons are tied to Ryan for 3 more years. I don’t think they can afford to go QB. If anything, I can see them trading back to get more picks.

We need to hope Bengals want to jump Miami for Sewell. We won’t get exceptional over-value but perhaps a 3rd this year and 2nd next.

If the value to trade down isn’t there you MUST take the QB. I don’t think JD.goes Smith at #2. Miami would have a better chance trading out than us IMO and they could still land D. Smith at #4 or #5 to pare with Tua.

Agree on Atlanta  They may take a QB if one falls to them but they won't trade up with Ryan's contract.

Trade value for Cincy on the trade chart is their 2, 3 and 4 this year.  And those are early.  Too steep I think for Cincy.  

We need one of those 7-12 teams to fall in love.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire draft is a gamble but quality scouting and players who excelled their entire college football careers are a safer bet than others. 

I would choose DeVonta Smith at #2 

I understand where you are coming from, however a Small receiver  like Smith just doesn't appear to me to fit what Joe Douglas seems to like in building this team at this point in time.  He still believes in building through the trenches, being able to run the ball, and receivers that are bigger and more physical.  Also you can add a QB who's deep ball accuracy is weak and it then takes away some of the very value you would get in picking Smith.  I'm sure he will have no problem getting open on crossing patterns until he appears on a few segments of you got jacked up.  That small frame is going to struggle to stay healthy.  I see JD looking at one of the bigger receivers with our second first rounder or second rounder. Personally I see Smith as a much better fit for a warm weather or dome team. 

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Was listening to Movin the Chains yesterday afternoon, and Pat Kirwin made a point about what some teams with new GM's coming in have to deal with regarding their salary caps, and having a disproportionate amount of money tied up to 3-4 guys. He said  rule of thumb is when that gets over 35%, you worry, and over 40% you have major problems. Atlanta, between Matt Ryan, Julio and Grady Jarrett, are over 40% and if you throw in their OT Matthews, it's like 45%.  Detroit, between Stafford, Trey Flowers and one other guy whose name escapes me, is like 38%. Couple this with the idea that a new coach and GM want to start their time running a franchise with their own, cheap QB, and it may make it even more imperative for them to ensure that they get their QB. Point is, if we do decide to move out, we probably won't have a lack of suitors.

prime example about why draft picks are so important.  i was thinking the other day if we've seen an end to players staing with the same team for years on end.  seems like teams are pretty quick to let those guys at the end of their rookie contracts go, especially if they want a boatload to stay. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

I understand where you are coming from, however a Small receiver  like Smith just doesn't appear to me to fit what Joe Douglas seems to like in building this team at this point in time.  He still believes in building through the trenches, being able to run the ball, and receivers that are bigger and more physical.

JD I hope is watching the NFL playoffs. 

Robert Saleh is the new HC and I hope we put more emphasis on the offense and scoring points. 

We obviously need better QB-WR's-TE's-RB's and OL 

2021 free agency and the draft we should be able to address many of the needs and replace previous year players who will immediately improve this team. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So did I, genius. 

You have a partial point but the bolded part annoys me.  If you want to take that tact then you can eliminate half the top end players from being picked because LOL the Qb has all day, the WRs are open, the other teams dline sucks, etc etc etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Agree on Atlanta  They may take a QB if one falls to them but they won't trade up with Ryan's contract.

Trade value for Cincy on the trade chart is their 2, 3 and 4 this year.  And those are early.  Too steep I think for Cincy.  

We need one of those 7-12 teams to fall in love.

Really Miami & Atlanta are in the catbird seat. No team needs to get to #2 for a QB that can reasonably provide draft capital. Carolina, SF are too far back. 
Only Bengals looking to get ahead of Miami is close enough but I think that they stay put and let it play out. I bet Miami can get a team to move to 3 easier than us to #2

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I'd be shocked.  They need help everywhere and can't pay a quarterback trade up price for a tackle.  

56 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Really Miami & Atlanta are in the catbird seat. No team needs to get to #2 for a QB that can reasonably provide draft capital. Carolina, SF are too far back. 
Only Bengals looking to get ahead of Miami is close enough but I think that they stay put and let it play out. I bet Miami can get a team to move to 3 easier than us to #2

I'd take the trade back to 9 even if it's less than market value.  We need to add premium picks.

First, second, and next year's one would do it for me.  One of Smith, Chase, Waddle, or Slater will be there and we add a second to get more help this year.  

31 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd be shocked.  They need help everywhere and can't pay a quarterback trade up price for a tackle.  

I'd take the trade back to 9 even if it's less than market value.  We need to add premium picks.

First, second, and next year's one would do it for me.  One of Smith, Chase, Waddle, or Slater will be there and we add a second to get more help this year.  

Who are those teams trading up for? There will still be QBs on the board when their pick comes up. Fields, Wilson and Lance are all equal prospects. No reason to give up those assets..... unfortunately!

31 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Three QBs + sewell will go top 5, we can trade to 4-6 range and not miss a beat 

By my math, we could miss out on 3 qb's and Sewell with pick number 6.  If we want to reset the clock and take a rookie qb or a no brainer for our OL then 6 is not ideal

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Our roster is the worst in the NFL

It lacks superstar offensive playmakers who can score points. 

We need immediate impact players.

Quality players vs a bunch of what if players. 

I agree you pick the impact playmaker if no QB, but I think moving back to 5 or 6 will still get us Chase or Smith plus some picks. I highly doubt both receivers will be gone by then. I also think our roster is not the worst, just that the coaching was. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bengals are in as bad shape as we are. They are NOT sacrificing multiple picks to move up to #2 or #3. They will stay put and take BPA to fill their need which are countless as is ours.  And we desperately need a QB. If anyone here thinks Saleh is going to fix Darnold, get a grip.  We are in position to get a top QB prospect.  Either take one at #2 or try and trade for Watson if we can work out an equitable deal without trading the our picks over the next 3 years. 

• Upvote 2