Kyle Pitts makes sense

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dustin Keller, Anthony Becht, Kyle Brady, and Johnnie Mitchell say hello.   As do TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard, Eric Ebron, Tyler Eifert.... Kittle was a 5th round p

I’ve watched plenty of him this year. I really like him as a prospect but I think it’s best to have some sort of restraint in these situations where the position of the player doesn’t match the value

Love it at 23.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Like it at 23. I would not take a TE with my first pick no matter if I traded down some or not. 

I was saying the same thing, but then i watched his highlights and did some research. This is not some ordinary tight end. He is an elite offensive weapon. Worth reaching for. 

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I was saying the same thing, but then i watched his highlights and did some research. This is not some ordinary tight end. He is an elite offensive weapon. Worth reaching for. 

I’ve watched plenty of him this year. I really like him as a prospect but I think it’s best to have some sort of restraint in these situations where the position of the player doesn’t match the value of the pick. I would rather pick up Chase,Smith or a QB in a small trade down to 4.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I’ve watched plenty of him this year. I really like him as a prospect but I think it’s best to have some sort of restraint in these situations where the position of the player doesn’t match the value of the pick. I would rather pick up Chase,Smith or a QB in a small trade down to 4.

The question of value is a sensible one; it really depends on how the team is looking to build. I'm not against building inside-out, reinforcing defensive or offensive line. But if you're looking to build offensive firepower, then Pitts is the best possible pick. 

I don't think those WRs are better than Pitts. At least for the Jets offense, which is supporting a developing QB. Pitts is the guy who bails out your QB with a huge catch radius and exceptional play-making ability. He occupies defensive backs all game, and opens it up for other peripheral receivers. And, amazingly, he can make big plays downfield when you need him to. He gives your quarterback so many options. He's a bit like Brandon Marshall was, just flat out dominant in all phases. You won't get the same impact from Chase or Devonta Smith. 

If they can't spend big on Robinson or Godwin in free agency, they should draft Kyle Pitts.  

I think Pitts is much more than a TE.  He’s a hybrid TE/WR who would no doubt help.  If we trade back to the 8-10 range I would very much consider taking him unless Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain were available.  All three are in that range.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Dustin Keller, Anthony Becht, Kyle Brady, and Johnnie Mitchell say hello.

As do TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard, Eric Ebron, Tyler Eifert....

Kittle was a 5th round pick. Kelce was a 3rd round pick. Waller was a free agent.  

Drafting a TE in the first round is fool's gold and has been for a very very long time.

I used to think this, but truthfully, none of those guys were as good as Pitts. They didn't flash the same ability in college, they were more traditional tight ends. Pitts is just a goddamn playmaker. 

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Please tell me he had at least 50 receptions last year.
If we are taking a first round “playmaker” he should have at least 50 receptions at the college level. 

Nope, he had 43 catches in 8 games. Would’ve been well over 50 in a regular season but he missed some time due to an injury and didn’t make the playoffs. Counting stats are going to look funny this year.

Averaged 5.4 catches for 96 yards and 1.5 touchdowns.

Really impressive for a tight end but Smith’s video game averages this year completely blow Pitts’ out of the water - 9 catches for 143 yards and 1.77 touchdowns. 

I’m not sure if it’s the right decision or not but I can’t imagine Smith gets past Miami at 3, which makes me think that making the price reasonable for Atlanta to flip from 4 to 2 if they want their QB could be a win-win.

Back on topic, the Kittle thing occurred to me right before I hit this thread. It’s interesting, the Shanahan offense is known for peppering their #1 receiver and it happens to be Kittle in SF. I meant to do some research and see how they’ve used tight ends historically.

My lean is that the importance of the tight end as a blocker in the run game scheme - where Kittle also excels - would have the focus a little away from Pitts but I’m not positive and not deep enough in the TE class to know who that might be.

I feel like there’s a TE or two that gets this type of hype before the draft and ultimately isn’t anywhere near what people said. Hockenson immediately comes to mind, Noah Fant, etc.

• Upvote 2

I would really like to not be team reach this year.

Also to all those that think he is a great player or pick, you really want us picking a TE in the first?

Seems even if you believe you can pick a TE that early with out being seen as a Macc pick or seems as foolish, you would probably want to draft said TE when there was an established offense or better line in NY.

I'm all against this idea and pick. 

Doesn't seem smart to spend that kind of draft cap on a guy who could be got for similar type play in a later round 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, derp said:

Nope, he had 43 catches in 8 games. Would’ve been well over 50 in a regular season but he missed some time due to an injury and didn’t make the playoffs. Counting stats are going to look funny this year.

Averaged 5.4 catches for 96 yards and 1.5 touchdowns.

Really impressive for a tight end but Smith’s video game averages this year completely blow Pitts’ out of the water - 9 catches for 143 yards and 1.77 touchdowns. 

I’m not sure if it’s the right decision or not but I can’t imagine Smith gets past Miami at 3, which makes me think that making the price reasonable for Atlanta to flip from 4 to 2 if they want their QB could be a win-win.

Back on topic, the Kittle thing occurred to me right before I hit this thread. It’s interesting, the Shanahan offense is known for peppering their #1 receiver and it happens to be Kittle in SF. I meant to do some research and see how they’ve used tight ends historically.

My lean is that the importance of the tight end as a blocker in the run game scheme - where Kittle also excels - would have the focus a little away from Pitts but I’m not positive and not deep enough in the TE class to know who that might be.

So then last year he had well over 50 catches, right? 

Not just Kittle. The Shanny offense has been ahead of its time in terms of making the TE a weapon. Regardless if talent caliber. Look back at past years. TE is essential to this offense. Part of why I’ve clammored for it for San.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Best player in the draft outside of TL

We all know how important Kittle is to the SF offense

Would be my #1 choice if we trade down 

https://youtu.be/Lf0L7tkC5GI 

I still haven't gotten over Kyle Brady.  I wouldn't draft a tight end in first round. Herndon could thrive with the Shanahan system.  BTW Kittle was a 5th round draft choice, Kelce a 3rd rounder, and Zack Ertz a 2nd.  

If he's there at 23, hell yeah but if not, I think Herndon can still be good. He started showing signs of life late last season and did well with Bates running a similar offense to what we will have. And he can block.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Drums said:

If he's there at 23, hell yeah but if not, I think Herndon can still be good. He started showing signs of life late last season and did well with Bates running a similar offense to what we will have. And he can block.

Herndon can be good and hopefully better. 

It seems we are looking for the a Kittle or a Kelce. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, joewilly12 said:

Herndon can be good and hopefully better. 

It seems we are looking for the a Kittle or a Kelce. 

Do you think Herndon can fill that role?

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

As a decent TE yes as good as Kittle or Kelce no. 

Yeah I don't think he will be a household name but both of those guys seem like they're built Ford tough and Pitts looks like a WR body to me but I admit I've only watched some highlights of him so I don't know if he blocks.

30 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

As do TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard, Eric Ebron, Tyler Eifert....

Kittle was a 5th round pick. Kelce was a 3rd round pick. Waller was a free agent.  

Drafting a TE in the first round is fool's gold and has been for a very very long time.

There are actually quite a few 3rd - 5th round TE prospects that have pretty good floors and could surprise upward like the guys you mention. After Pitts, Freiermuth and Brevin Jordan you creep into the areas where you could look at Ferguson from Wisconsin, Kolar from Iowa State, and Ruckert from OSU.

Freiermuth's injury is the big question.  If not injured I think he's a guaranteed 2nd rounder, maybe even 1st, but I just don't know what his season-ending injury was all about.  Having his medicals check out is the biggest thing determining where he will go.  Could turn out to be a Bryce Hall kind of guy who drops for injury reasons but I have no idea.

The interesting thing about TE's is that they're built similarly to LBs in my opinion, and you're looking for the same kind of traits.  Size is typically in the 6'3" - 6'5" range and 240 - 260 lbs.  You want some size and power but also reasonable speed and athleticism for that size.  I don't know if it's a coincidence that Robert Saleh "grew up" in football in both those areas.... he played TE and then several of his early NFL coaching jobs were as a Linebackers coach.  Just an observation.

I looked at every 1st round TE in the NFL Draft for the past 40 years. It is a long list of misses.  Big misses.  The only TE drafted in the 1st round  in the last 40 years who was a star was Tony Gonzalez.  The rest are complete busts or some mediocre players who were overdraft.  Meanwhile, the star TEs were picked in later rounds.  Picking a TE in round 1 is a disaster.  Don't look at the college tape of one player. Look at the history of that position in the draft and relative value.  It's a mistake.  

TJ Hockenson; Noah Fant, Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard, Eric Ebron, Tyler Eifert, Jermaine Gresham, Brandon Pettigrew, Dustin Keller, Greg Olsen (pick 31), Vernon Davis (he was supposed to be what you claim Pitts to be), Mercedes Lewis, Heath Miller, Kellen Winslow Jr, Ben Watson, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, Dan Graham, Jeramy Stevens, Todd Heap,  Bubba Franks, Anthony Becht, Tony Gonzalez, David Lafleur, Rick Dudley, Kyle Brady, Irv Smith, Eric Green, Keith Jackson, David Lewis, Tony Hunter,Wilie Scott

Get the picture?  That's not a cherry picked list. That's every tight end drafted in the first round going back to  1980.  No.  Definite No.  

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Dustin Keller was a decent pick, and also the last offensive weapon we targeted in the first rd (says more about the Jets strategical ineptitude, but still). Not fair to lump him in with other Jet TE nothings.

53 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think Pitts is much more than a TE.  He’s a hybrid TE/WR who would no doubt help.  If we trade back to the 8-10 range I would very much consider taking him unless Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain were available.  All three are in that range.

I’m all for Pitts in that spot

But you would go corner for a first pick?!