Kyle Pitts makes sense

QB1

28 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

So then last year he had well over 50 catches, right? 

He had 54 as a true sophomore. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m gathering you’re not in favor of drafting Pitts...for what it’s worth I’m very reluctant as well given the track record of first round tight ends and what I think his role would be.

Herndon or Griffin can do great in a Shanahan offense. Did we forget how high on Herndon everyone was a few years ago. The problem is our QB. He stinks. Try to make a deal for Watson. Give up Sam and #23 for DeShaun then trade down with Atlanta to #4 overall plus their 2nd round pick and have your choice of Sewel or Smith in that spot. Add Thuney and/or Robinson in free agency and you’ll have an offense the likes of which we haven’t seen since the days of Vini, Vidi, Vici.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Viermoo said:

Herndon or Griffin can do great in a Shanahan offense. Did we forget how high on Herndon everyone was a few years ago. The problem is our QB. He stinks. Try to make a deal for Watson. Give up Sam and #23 for DeShaun then trade down with Atlanta to #4 overall plus their 2nd round pick and have your choice of Sewel or Smith in that spot. Add Thuney and/or Robinson in free agency and you’ll have an offense the likes of which we haven’t seen since the days of Vini, Vidi, Vici.

Yea it’s Darnolds fault that Herndon has a massive drop and fumbling issue. Guy slept walked through the season 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6'4, 238 lbs, Chase Claypool 

6'5, 239 lbs, Calvin Johnson

6'5, 231 lbs, Plaxico Burress

6'5, 231 lbs, Mike Evans

6'4, 229 lbs, Brandon Marshall

6'4, 241 lbs, Vincent Jackson

There's no official measurements on Kyle Pitts. Since they usually tend to round up I'll take his 6'6, 239 lbs listing and say that it's more closer to 6'5, 235 lbs. Fair?

Going from the projected measurements he has absolutely no shot of becoming a TE in the pros. Unlike OJ Howard from Bama, none of us are interested or amaze with his ability to block. It's strickly as a receiver. Going from that aspect alone, you can make the case top 5 or the BEST right with Chase, Waddle and Smith.

Comparing his size to other definitely lines him up as a WR. Now does he makes sense for our scheme? Not sure. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

There's no official measurements on Kyle Pitts. Since they usually tend to round up I'll take his 6'6, 239 lbs listing and say that it's more closer to 6'5, 235 lbs. Fair?

Hes listed at 6"6', 240.  

Im guessing he isnt far off from those numbers so no I dont think its fair.  Im not worried over what hes called, but by what he would contribute to the offense

Let's see what he runs.  They have him as a TE, but he could just be a next-gen WR.  

My problem with Smith, Waddle and Chase at 2 is only the true freaks go that high.  If Pitts runs a 4.4 then he's the freak wide out of the draft and is absolutely worth the pick.  

As for fit, WCO's LOVE big wide receivers running slants.  

That being said, if we are keeping Sam, I'm on the record for trading down... multiple times.  Even at below to gain more premium picks.  

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

I think Pitts is much more than a TE.  He’s a hybrid TE/WR who would no doubt help.  If we trade back to the 8-10 range I would very much consider taking him unless Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain were available.  All three are in that range.

Hes generational. Is that the buzzword now? Well he is I would never be upset if he became a jet

1 hour ago, derp said:

He had 54 as a true sophomore. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m gathering you’re not in favor of drafting Pitts...for what it’s worth I’m very reluctant as well given the track record of first round tight ends and what I think his role would be.

Yeah, I’m being douchey. As talented as he is, if you take out his Ole Miss performance (8 rec, 170 yards, 4 TDs) he’s just an athletic dude who catches accurate passes. 

I just don’t see a top-10 pick in him. 

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

6'5, 231 lbs, Mike Evans

Going from the projected measurements he has absolutely no shot of becoming a TE in the pros. Unlike OJ Howard from Bama, none of us are interested or amaze with his ability to block. It's strickly as a receiver. Going from that aspect alone, you can make the case top 5 or the BEST right with Chase, Waddle and Smith.

Comparing his size to other definitely lines him up as a WR. Now does he makes sense for our scheme? Not sure. 

I was going to say he reminds me of Claypool.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yeah, I’m being douchey. As talented as he is, if you take out his Ole Miss performance (8 rec, 170 yards, 4 TDs) he’s just an athletic dude who catches accurate passes. 

I just don’t see a top-10 pick in him. 

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea he’s just an athletic dude who catches accurate passes - he was my favorite TE before this season so I just like his skill set and I think he and Toney made Trask, not the other way around - but I also don’t think a TE who’s really raw as a blocker fits what the Jets will be running and the track record of first round tight ends is horrific. 

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

6'5, 231 lbs, Mike Evans

6’6, 238 pounds, Darren Waller

I know the exception doesn’t make the rule but build, short area quickness, upper body flexibility...all play a role. Realistically all pass catching tight ends are going to spend some time in the slot and split out wide, just depends how much.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think in a trade down depending where we drop down to he's going to be in the mix.. Especially if we're right on the fringe of the top 10.. My first thoughts are if we trade down we'll probably target a top Corner or Edge, but Pitts will make a real case for the selection. 

I had CB a strong consideration and got trashed for anything but defense.  Which apparently is also anything but TE and some have said RB so we're down to QB, OL and WR 

40 minutes ago, derp said:

6’6, 238 pounds, Darren Waller

I know the exception doesn’t make the rule but build, short area quickness, upper body flexibility...all play a role. Realistically all pass catching tight ends are going to spend some time in the slot and split out wide, just depends how much.

Bingo.  He’s Darren Waller, which isn’t something to scoff at, I just don’t think he’s a building block... he’s the cherry. 

If he hits and stays healthy, you look great picking him. If he Evan Engrams & teeters on IR you’re going to wish you went with a more premium position pick. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I had CB a strong consideration and got trashed for anything but defense.  Which apparently is also anything but TE and some have said RB so we're down to QB, OL and WR 

What people want and what is practical are two different things.  WR could be in play as there are players in the top 10 worthy of the selection, however I just do not think that is JD's type of move, especially since this is another reasonably deep WR draft, and we can look to add one in FA.  Instead I think CB or EDGE, possibly Pitts make the most logical sense at that position. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

What people want and what is practical are two different things.  WR could be in play as there are players in the top 10 worthy of the selection, however I just do not think that is JD's type of move, especially since this is another reasonably deep WR draft, and we can look to add one in FA.  Instead I think CB or EDGE, possibly Pitts make the most logical sense at that position. 

Exactly why I thought CB or EDGE would be in play.  Getting one worth the price isnt easy in FA or trade.  WRs, RBs are much easier to find through FA.  Its interesting when the responses are that the pick just has to be offense.  

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Bingo.  He’s Darren Waller, which isn’t something to scoff at, I just don’t think he’s a building block... he’s the cherry. 

If he hits and stays healthy, you look great picking him. If he Evan Engrams & teeters on IR you’re going to wish you went with a more premium position pick. 

Darren Waller was a college WR who had less career touchdowns than Pitts had last year. Pitts isn’t Waller - I just thought calling him a WR was silly, too.

Pitts looks like a building block. I think more than any TE has recently.

That said, no TE who looked like enough like a building block in college to become a first round pick actually has become one. Meanwhile, the two building blocks were drafted in the third and fifth rounds respectively. So I think he’s too risky to take.

Think you and I disagree on some things but end up in the same place.

Pitts has shown that he is an excellent receiving TE that needs work on his blocking. He is still a better blocker than some of the higher rated tight ends.

The player that would be intriguing for the new Jets offense is Hunter Long out of Boston College.  If Herndon can hold on to the ball, he can be the receiving TE. Long brings good size, blocking and great hands.  He still needs work with his route running and needs to build strength to be a great blocking TE.  He is a versatile, traditional style TE that fits the WCO better than a pure receiving TE.  He can probably be had in the 3rd round though could move up the boards if he tests well.  He doesn't project to be George Kittle but he fits a similar draft profile, an above average ahtletic tight end with limited production and above average blocker.  Similar to running backs, tight ends that can block can get on the field early and often, while they develop their receiving abilities.

5 hours ago, Viermoo said:

No, the problem with our TE play was the coach and offensive system he ran.  Herndon was very good under Jeremy Bates, Darnold's first year.  Bates had a similar system to the one that LaFleur will run.  

Too many people are blatantly ignorant and too fast to jump on the hate Darnold wagon.

As for Pitts, very dynamic looking player, DEFINITELY not worth a top 10 pick, not sure how he will do at NFL level.  He is not in the mold of a Kelce or a Kittle, completely different type of player.  

Here’s the thing with Pitts. 

You can’t take him at 2 but he’s not going to last till 23, so how far down does the value of the player and the value of what you are getting back going to make it worth it. 

If he’s Travis Kelce or George Kittle it’s hard to argue that he’s not worth a top maybe 15 pick. Or look at Chase Claypool, not a TE at ND but a big bodied WR not unlike Pitts, faster than Pitts but not as big. Hard to argue in hindsight that he was not under-drafted and should have been a 1st rounder. And Pitts is a much much higher rated player. 

If you can get him in the mid to late teens and the top 2-3 WRs are gone, I’m taking the guy. Not breaking new ground here but he’s not a traditional TE, he’s so much more athletic, a matchup problem, a true red zone target and an incredible safety net for whomever the QB is. He’s almost unguardable. 

Or he could be OJ Howard but I don’t think so. And obviously depends on what we do in FA-if we’ve added a top end WR I’d rather grab Pitts. 

Still have 23 and 34 to go Edge and C or G or RT or CB and whatever else we got for trading back. 

Herndon should be bagging groceries after his mom drops him off at ShopRite because his license was revoked. 500 yards and 4 TDs his rookie year and people are still acting like he's legit. Career stats 2 years later 796 and 7.

Kid Fury Reaction GIF

As for Pitts..... Kittle was a 5th rounder, Kelce was a 3rd rounder, let somebody else roll those dice in the 1st round.