Kyle Pitts makes sense

QB1

18 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

No, the problem with our TE play was the coach and offensive system he ran.  Herndon was very good under Jeremy Bates, Darnold's first year.  Bates had a similar system to the one that LaFleur will run.  

Too many people are blatantly ignorant and too fast to jump on the hate Darnold wagon.

As for Pitts, very dynamic looking player, DEFINITELY not worth a top 10 pick, not sure how he will do at NFL level.  He is not in the mold of a Kelce or a Kittle, completely different type of player.  

He’s not in the mold of Kelce or Kittle but I’d argue that those two are also different players. All 3 kind of different. Pitts isn’t Kelce or Kittle but he could be his own player and a great one at that. 

11 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Dustin Keller, Anthony Becht, Kyle Brady, and Johnnie Mitchell say hello.

As do TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard, Eric Ebron, Tyler Eifert....

Kittle was a 5th round pick. Kelce was a 3rd round pick. Waller was a free agent.  

Drafting a TE in the first round is fool's gold and has been for a very very long time.

Gronk, Casper 2nd round. But then you have some great ones taken in round 1 like Olsen, Francis, Ozzie, Ditka.  If you’re going to take Pitts so early, you really have to believe he’ll be one of the best TE’s ever. It’s just a position that can be taken later in the draft and still get great value. 

19 hours ago, derp said:

Nope, he had 43 catches in 8 games. Would’ve been well over 50 in a regular season but he missed some time due to an injury and didn’t make the playoffs. Counting stats are going to look funny this year.

Averaged 5.4 catches for 96 yards and 1.5 touchdowns.

Really impressive for a tight end but Smith’s video game averages this year completely blow Pitts’ out of the water - 9 catches for 143 yards and 1.77 touchdowns. 

I’m not sure if it’s the right decision or not but I can’t imagine Smith gets past Miami at 3, which makes me think that making the price reasonable for Atlanta to flip from 4 to 2 if they want their QB could be a win-win.

Back on topic, the Kittle thing occurred to me right before I hit this thread. It’s interesting, the Shanahan offense is known for peppering their #1 receiver and it happens to be Kittle in SF. I meant to do some research and see how they’ve used tight ends historically.

My lean is that the importance of the tight end as a blocker in the run game scheme - where Kittle also excels - would have the focus a little away from Pitts but I’m not positive and not deep enough in the TE class to know who that might be.

miami is almost guaranteed to take sewell if he isnt taken at 2

15 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

He’s not in the mold of Kelce or Kittle but I’d argue that those two are also different players. All 3 kind of different. Pitts isn’t Kelce or Kittle but he could be his own player and a great one at that. 

He's the best TE prospect since Tony Gonzalez. 

Would you draft Tony Gonzalez in the 1st round? I would.