DeShaun Watson's Texans departure seems inevitable

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Just like Seattle had all the leverage when Jamaal was burning down the Jets house?  Come on man even you can’t believe this sh*t your spewing?  Oh wait you don’t that’s why you covered your ass with or grab Fields or Wilson and maybe even come out ahead.  Priceless.

No need to be hostile. We’re just having a conversation.  

Fields or Wilson might be better than Watson.  No one saw Allen this way.  No one saw Herbert this way.   Yet here we are. 

It’s Watson for Fields + next year’s first round pick.  Just like with Jamal and Seattle, we’re the only team sitting on what Houston desperately needs.  They’ll pay our asking price or get stuck with Tua or Darnold.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Throw the book out in this case. It’s unprecedented. Top 5 QBs in their primes do not shake loose like this, ever.

Please explain why most posters would think the Jags would be nuts to trade out of the #1 for Watson vs. Lawrence, but we're nuts if we don't trade three #1's for Watson vs. just taking Fields or Wilson?  Is Lawrence that much more of a sure thing?  

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Hmmmmmm then why is this one shaking free possibly?  How the **** does that not put up a big red flag?  Open your eyes people.

Have you read anything about his misgivings with the Texans FO, or did you just plug your ears and scream when you saw that he was unhappy in his situation? Watson has shown to be a model citizen and a great teammate. He's also not the only one who is disgruntled with that team.

Heck, even a revered cornerstone in JJ Watt wants out and is done with that team. How does that not put up a red flag about their organization? Watt is considered to be the single greatest guy in the NFL by many.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

Please explain why most posters would think the Jags would be nuts to trade out of the #1 for Watson vs. Lawrence, but we're nuts if we don't trade three #1's for Watson vs. just taking Fields or Wilson?  Is Lawrence that much more of a sure thing?  

I don’t think the Jaguars would be nuts at all. I just don’t see them making that move.

Even if they went after him, we still have more overall draft capital to give Houston than Jacksonville does, thanks to the Adams trade. In that case it would come down to whether Houston likes Lawrence more than an extra 1st rounder or so.

33 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I agree his no trade and the seemingly already torched bridge does appear to make the Texans leverage weak, but I think there will be so many teams calling that the price has to go back up, no?

He's a 25 and a FQB. 

It may actually make it cheaper.  Watson could veto any trade strictly because of who is trading for him.  He could tell managment he will only approve of trades from 2 teams, removing other teams that may have raised the price too high.  It would become a 2 team bidding war rather than a 5 or 6 team bidding war.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Have you read anything about his misgivings with the Texans FO, or did you just plug your ears and scream when you saw that he was unhappy in his situation? Watson has shown to be a model citizen and a great teammate. He's also not the only one who is disgruntled with that team.

Heck, even a revered cornerstone in JJ Watt wants out and is done with that team. How does that not put up a red flag about their organization? Watt is considered to be the single greatest guy in the NFL by many.

How is the NYJ organization any better?  And stop purposely leaving out the other issue that DeShaun is bringing purposely to the fight here.

• WTF? 1

Its all going to come down to Miami. If Miami isn't pursuing him b/c of Tua and Houston feels they have to move him - no one else can compete with the Jets. 

Look at the teams on these lists... 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-patriots-dolphins-49ers-texans/y9y2bddicrn014klrevw12zpx

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/deshaun-watson-trade-five-teams-can-compete-49ers-star

You tell me - if you're the new Texans GM you getting excited over 3 years of 49ers 1s? Washington? Denver!? Oh yea I'm sure a new GM will love trading away the face of the franchise for Drew Lock and 3 first round picks with the first (and likely lowest) being at #9 so they can draft Kyle Pitts.... The only way to sell this is getting another franchise QB and to do that you need a top 5 pick. If Miami is out Houston should be calling us....only way to save face here is to sell the fan base on Fields + picks. At least you have hope then. You start 2021 season with a Trubisky/Jimmy G camp battle and hope that your new WR in the first round is half of what DeAndre Hopkins used to be and they will riot in Houston. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Hmmmmmm then why is this one shaking free possibly?  How the **** does that not put up a big red flag?  Open your eyes people.

I think this speaks more to the dysfunction in the Texans organization than it does to Watson's character.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t think the Jaguars would be nuts at all. I just don’t see them making that move.

Even if they went after him, we still have more overall draft capital to give Houston than Jacksonville does, thanks to the Adams trade. In that case it would come down to whether Houston likes Lawrence more than an extra 1st rounder or so.

They're also divisional rivals which makes a deal unlikely in most cases.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I mean probably - but you don't trade the rights to the chosen one after you just spent a month courting Urban Meyer to someone in your division. You also don't send your franchise QB for the hope of the chosen one to someone in your division. I actually don't do it if I'm Jax b/c I believe in TL that much and you get the whole rookie contract thing... but its one of those rare instances where it kind of makes sense for both sides and yet both probably say no b/c the downside is so bad for them. 

3 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Its all going to come down to Miami. If Miami isn't pursuing him b/c of Tua and Houston feels they have to move him - no one else can compete with the Jets. 

Look at the teams on these lists... 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-patriots-dolphins-49ers-texans/y9y2bddicrn014klrevw12zpx

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/deshaun-watson-trade-five-teams-can-compete-49ers-star

You tell me - if you're the new Texans GM you getting excited over 3 years of 49ers 1s? Washington? Denver!? Oh yea I'm sure a new GM will love trading away the face of the franchise for Drew Lock and 3 first round picks with the first (and likely lowest) being at #9 so they can draft Kyle Pitts.... The only way to sell this is getting another franchise QB and to do that you need a top 5 pick. If Miami is out Houston should be calling us....only way to save face here is to sell the fan base on Fields + picks. At least you have hope then. You start 2021 season with a Trubisky/Jimmy G camp battle and hope that your new WR in the first round is half of what DeAndre Hopkins used to be and they will riot in Houston. 

I feel like it's going to be us or Miami due to the fact we're the only teams that can provide another high end QB prospect immediately due to our draft position/current young QB, but I feel like Houston trading Watson to get their own Tunsil pick back would infuriate fans.

4 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

No, it’s all going to come down to the Jets because if Watson goes to Miami it will force the Jets to use the #2 on either Fields or Wilson and the Texans would not be guaranteed to get the QB they want.  

The Texans need to jump the Dolphins, not trade with them.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

It may actually make it cheaper.  Watson could veto any trade strictly because of who is trading for him.  He could tell managment he will only approve of trades from 2 teams, removing other teams that may have raised the price too high.  It would become a 2 team bidding war rather than a 5 or 6 team bidding war.

This is true. The situation is fluid and I'm assuming we will soon understand more about where he's willing to go, and truthfully, if things have gotten so bad in Houston, it might be many places. 

We're in uncharted territory here, so I'm simply using the Ramsey, Tunsil and Adams trades as blueprints, and then throwing the 'quarterback premium' on top. 

I definitely wouldn't call that particularly scientific, but I don't consider it unreasonable either. 

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah he is real great guy holding a franchise hostage to hire someone for social justice **** out of here.

That's a pretty near-sighted way to frame the issues he has with the organization, but now it's starting to make sense why you're so triggered by this.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

80% of this board thought Josh Allen was an absolute bust.  55% completion in college....ignoring the fact he’s a physical freak w a cannon for arm and could improve.  The college Qb gurus around here don’t have much credibility.

How does this relate to the current conversation?

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, it’s all going to come down to the Jets because if Watson goes to Miami it will force the Jets to use the #2 on either Fields or Wilson and the Texans would not be guaranteed to get the QB they want.  

SAR I

If Houston trades Watson to Miami, they're definitely getting Tua in return (New GM in Houston loves Tua). Therefore they won't need to draft a QB.

That's the major advantage Miami has over us. They don't have as many draft picks as us, but they don't need have (or give up) as many because Tua essentially is a 1st round pick.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah he is real great guy holding a franchise hostage to hire someone for social justice **** out of here.

My understanding of the situation is that it's not about social justice. The owner told Watson he'd be consulted during the hiring of the GM and coach going forward and then failed to do so, hired a GM without consulting with Watson, and did not even ask for an interview for the coach that Watson recommended. That's broken promises or lies on the part of the organization, and Watson feels betrayed.

The wisdom of the Texans making that promise in the first place is definitely worth debating, but after having agreed to it, it's absolutely understandable why Watson would be upset. 

BTW, I notice you still have a 'Fire Bowles' avatar... and not a 'fire Gase' avatar...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

80% of this board thought Josh Allen was an absolute bust.  55% completion in college....ignoring the fact he’s a physical freak w a cannon for arm and could improve.  The college Qb gurus around here don’t have much credibility.

Sure. Ignore that he’s literally the first QB in history to suddenly discover accuracy.  

53 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I agree his no trade and the seemingly already torched bridge does appear to make the Texans leverage weak, but I think there will be so many teams calling that the price has to go back up, no?

He's a 25 and a FQB. 

So teams in need of a QB:

Carolina- Little draft capital

Miami- Very good draft capital & players

Jets- Best draft capital no players

49ers: Ok draft capital & players

Pats- Ok draft capital & little talent

Miami worries me. Hopefully The Texans GM & owner would probably want to send Watson to Jet-hell rather than South Beach playoff/Madden euphoria. 

Jets deal gets them a restart at QB and draft capital that they lack. I don’t see how Houston can do it but man if he’s available go get him.

11 minutes ago, King P said:

If Houston trades Watson to Miami, they're definitely getting Tua in return (New GM in Houston loves Tua). Therefore they won't need to draft a QB.

That's the major advantage Miami has over us. They don't have as many draft picks as us, but they don't need have (or give up) as many because Tua essentially is a 1st round pick.

If Houston’s GM is enamored with Tua and if Watson wants to go to Miami then there is no point to this conversation at all.  

Which is fine too.  Fields or Wilson might be better than Watson or Allen, you never know. 

But Tua is a massive step down from Watson, can't see them thinking he's the answer for a very frustrated fanbase.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Even though it feels unlikely, it is true that the Jets feel like the most sensical trade option.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

How does this relate to the current conversation?

Well....the conversation pertaining to Watson which is not going to happen....let’s be real.   Turns to hey let’s draft a kid....but which kid? Let’s just say the track record on this board is less than stellar. 

26 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

No, not in the least. 

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Sure. Ignore that he’s literally the first QB in history to suddenly discover accuracy.  

Given what he showed in college, his great success in the NFL feels like Divine Intervention. Granted I never thought he would be bad, and expected more of a Cam Newton kinda QB. However, when it comes to top 5 passer, division winning, MVP candidate Josh Allen with almost a 70% CMP, I'm completely stumped. I don't even think his greatest supporters saw this coming. Good for him though I guess.

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So teams in need of a QB:

Carolina- Little draft capital

Miami- Very good draft capital & players

Jets- Best draft capital no players

49ers: Ok draft capital & players

Pats- Ok draft capital & little talent

Miami worries me. Hopefully The Texans GM & owner would probably want to send Watson to Jet-hell rather than South Beach playoff/Madden euphoria. 

Jets deal gets them a restart at QB and draft capital that they lack. I don’t see how Houston can do it but man if he’s available go get him.

There are also teams like the Steelers, Colts and Falcons with aging quarterbacks that could be interested. None of them, outside of Atlanta, have high picks this year, but I'm genuinely curious at the price here. If some team is willing to give up three first round picks, and the Jets are only willing to give up two... I don't know, does that move the needle for the Texans?

I agree, though, that on paper, the Jets and the Dolphins have the inside track because of how high they pick this year and their multiple first rounders. 

This is a crazy time, and a golden opportunity. I'm happy for us to be aggressive and go get him. My max, though, is the Daniel Jerimiah suggested trade - #2, 2022 first rounder (either one), and the 2023 first rounder. 

Beyond that I start to worry that no player should go for more than that - any football player can take a bad hit and never be the same or suffer a career-ender. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Given what he showed in college, his great success in the NFL feels like Divine Intervention. Granted I never thought he would be bad, and expected more of a Cam Newton kinda QB. However, when it comes to top 5 passer, division winning, MVP candidate Josh Allen with almost a 70% CMP, I'm completely stumped. I don't even think his greatest supporters saw this coming. Good for him though I guess.

Let's not forget that many QB's look great for a single year and then go back to mediocrity.  See Flacco, Joe.  And nothing I saw in their two playoff games this year made me think Josh Allen is anything special.  He did barely enough to win the second game, and the first was a sure loss if Reich could manage a game properly.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

But anyway, my understanding of the situation is that it's not about social justice. The owner told Watson he'd be consulted during the hiring of the GM and coach going forward and then failed to do so, hired a GM without consulting with Watson, and did not even ask for an interview for the coach that Watson recommended. That's broken promises or lies on the part of the organization, and Watson feels betrayed.

The wisdom of the Texans making that promise in the first place is definitely worth debating, but after having agreed to it, it's absolutely understandable why Watson would be upset. 

BTW, I notice you still have a 'Fire Bowles' avatar... and not a 'fire Gase' avatar...

And that's even leaving out the part where Cal McNair promised everyone that the fate of human parasite, and culture destroyer Jack Easterby would be up to the new GM/coach, and that Easterby wouldn't be anymore near the hiring process, and that a consortium of respected football minds -- plus Korn and Ferry (lulz) -- would lead the process, only to renege on his word and immediately hire Easterby's good friend, without any input from the consortium, and affirm Easterby's standing in the organization to the shock and dismay of everyone.

• Upvote 1