DeShaun Watson's Texans departure seems inevitable

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont typically watch the silly sports talk shows but I'm tuning in this morning strictly because of this story and like, ummmmm, this is happening.  Watson is done with Texans.  Or at least, it sure seems that way.  Like unanimously across the board all the dudes are like, Watson is never playing for the Texans again.

whoa whoa whoa

Dont blow this JD, dont blow this...

I just wonder if this goes down what’s the timeline of this happening? I would assume before the draft.

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ah, I understand. Bill O'Brien must be Titans fan.

It's insane. This is a dream QB, and they've turned him off after giving him a $39MM/year contract in a state with no income tax lol. 

I mean, even if they don't like Bieniemy - even if they believe he'd be a lousy HC and even if they're right - he or anyone they hire is going to have a crap 2021 season because that team is a mess. There's then another year in 2022 after refueling a lot, and if they still look terrible the writing can be on the wall entering y3 -- if the team still greatly disappoints with a lot of questionable HCing, then he's dumped in Jan 2024. By then your roster should be mostly well retooled, all the current dead cap is long gone, and Watson is entering just his age 28 season.

That's all assuming EB's a terrible HC. Even my #1 issue with him was he's unproven on his own, not proven bad on his own. He may be an excellent HC, making the downside of the above is all just limited to a crap 2021 season that's happening no matter what.

Trading Watson would be madness no matter what the return. They're not going to find another one like him for 20 years, if even by then. Trading him is a net loss on already hurting cap room for 2021, and good luck attracting FAs who have options elsewhere when your reputation is for being the team that infuriated then threw away a 25 year-old Deshaun Watson.

It'll only make it worse that the optics of an upcoming train wreck season will be while Watson is scoring 30-40 TDs for someone else. I can't figure out how they think they're coming out of this smelling any better than a full septic tank. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's insane. This is a dream QB, and they've turned him off after giving him a $39MM/year contract in a state with no income tax lol. 

I mean, even if they don't like Bieniemy - even if they believe he'd be a lousy HC and even if they're right - he or anyone they hire is going to have a crap 2021 season because that team is a mess. There's then another year in 2022 after refueling a lot, and if they still look terrible the writing can be on the wall entering y3 -- if the team still greatly disappoints with a lot of questionable HCing, then he's dumped in Jan 2024. By then your roster should be mostly well retooled, all the current dead cap is long gone, and Watson is entering just his age 28 season.

That's all assuming EB's a terrible HC. Even my #1 issue with him was he's unproven on his own, not proven bad on his own. He may be an excellent HC, making the downside of the above is all just limited to a crap 2021 season that's happening no matter what.

Trading Watson would be madness no matter what the return. They're not going to find another one like him for 20 years, if even by then. Trading him is a net loss on already hurting cap room for 2021, and good luck attracting FAs who have options elsewhere when your reputation is for being the team that infuriated then threw away a 25 year-old Deshaun Watson.

It'll only make it worse that the optics of an upcoming train wreck season will be while Watson is scoring 30-40 TDs for someone else. I can't figure out how they think they're coming out of this smelling any better than a full septic tank. 

If Jets finally find a FQB and lose him at 25 y.o., that will truly make me question continued investment (time, emotions, money, etc) in this team. And I've been a Jets fan for longer than the Texans have existed. This is a PR nightmare of epic proportions.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Worked wonders for the Mets in 1977.? Maybe they can do a seance with M.Donald Grant and Dick Young.

2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Hmm, how do the Texans have a say?

They can play hardball and tell Watson he stays unless he agrees to whichever team comes with the best offer. Will they? Don't know. If they don't want him in the division, for example, they could also refuse to field offers from those teams. Don't think they have an obligation to listen to all comers. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

They can play hardball and tell Watson he stays unless he agrees to whichever team comes with the best offer. Will they? Don't know. If they don't want him in the division, for example, they could also refuse to field offers from those teams. Don't think they have an obligation to listen to all comers. 

Thanks.  So their leverage is:

Tell Watson to agree to the Texans preferred trade or report to work. 

Crap.  This is like the NBA.  He's not coming to the Knicks.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Thanks.  So their leverage is:

Tell Watson to agree to the Texans preferred trade, or report to work. 

Crap.  This is like the NBA.  He's not coming to the Knicks.

Basically dare Watson to hold out/not get paid rather than go somewhere he doesn't want to go. In this scenario, Texans don't get picks and don't get their QB. Mutually-assured destruction.

To those thinking the price is too high.

This is for a QB not a RB.  Dude can play for another 15 years. 

Immediately,  this year's free agents listen to our offers.

Two years from now, we'll have more first round picks with a legit FQB on the roster.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Good listen for what Schefter says, basically, Watson picks his landing spot:

Jesus Christ Schefter, lay off the scotch and get some sleep... baseball fit face worse than my engineer father during the middle of a shut down. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

They have an obligation to listen to every team that calls but the no trade clause is a good thing for the Jets IM)

1.  The top of our organization is appealing. Look at the way our HC search just went.  The fact is JD is very well-respected in the league and just hired a HC who is equally well-respected.  Both Saleh and JD are signed for the next 5 years. 

2.  If Watson goes to a team without extra picks, he knows that the trade will likely strip the club of the opportunity to add cheap young talent.  We can make this deal while possibly still picking twice in the top 35 in 2021 and having first and second round picks in 2022.

3. With our cap space, even after we would add in his contract, we have enough room for Watson and his agent to recruit players to come with him.  It is very likely that if he is going to orchestrate his way out of Houston, he will also make a call to someone like Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin and try to get them to come with him. We have the cap space to let him do that.

4. While a bit unproven, Lafluer will be running a "QB friendly system".

Id love to give Saleh and JD the opportunity to recruit Watson here.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

They have an obligation to listen to every team that calls but the no trade clause is a good thing for the Jets IM)

1.  The top of our organization is appealing. Look at the way our HC search just went.  The fact is JD is very well-respected in the league and just hired a HC who is equally well-respected.  Both Saleh and JD are signed for the next 5 years. 

2.  If Watson goes to a team without extra picks, he knows that the trade will likely strip the club of the opportunity to add cheap young talent.  We can make this deal while possibly still picking twice in the top 35 in 2021 and having first and second round picks in 2022.

3. With our cap space, even after we would add in his contract, we have enough room for Watson and his agent to recruit players to come with him.  It is very likely that if he is going to orchestrate his way out of Houston, he will also make a call to someone like Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin and try to get them to come with him. We have the cap space to let him do that.

4. While a bit unproven, Lafluer will be running a "QB friendly system".

Id love to give Saleh and JD the opportunity to recruit Watson here.

You make some good points. MIA does have the no income tax thing, which is a plus, But I guess when you're making $40M/year, at some point being in a good situation is worth more than the incremental value of more money. He's also from the South and has played/lived his whole life in warm weather -- not sure if this is a big deal to him, or not.

In the end, his decision -- to stay, to go, and to where -- will likely come down to weighing many factors. It sure makes it easier if he wants the Jets -- or at least doesn't have us on the "no fly" list. Can't imagine a universe where the Jets don't make an offer.

I still believe the most likely resolution is that HOU blinks first, makes nice, and patches things up.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Was way behind last night so catching up this morning. 10 pages in someone finally posted it.

Watson is $29.4MM/year for the next 5 years, not $40MM/year.

+ his salary would coincide with cap increases. You get a franchise QB & you can always figure out ways to stretch things a bit! He’s 25 years old, he could be here 10 years or more. Rogers is 37. 

• Upvote 1