Jump to content

DeShaun Watson's Texans departure seems inevitable


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont typically watch the silly sports talk shows but I'm tuning in this morning strictly because of this story and like, ummmmm, this is happening.  Watson is done with Texans.  Or at least, it sure seems that way.  Like unanimously across the board all the dudes are like, Watson is never playing for the Texans again.

whoa whoa whoa

Dont blow this JD, dont blow this...

I just wonder if this goes down what’s the timeline of this happening? I would assume before the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yikes

I watched and this is not true and the splits back me up.  He threw for more yards in the 1st half of games then he did in the 2nd, he had 15 TDs in the first half vs 21 in the 2nd.  He had 700 more y

Posted Images

This trade also creates an opportunity.

Santonio Holmes is only 36.  We would have to bring him back for at least one game.  The universe demands it.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I just wonder if this goes down what’s the timeline of this happening? I would assume before the draft.

I would assume in the next week otherwise never

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ah, I understand. Bill O'Brien must be Titans fan.

It's insane. This is a dream QB, and they've turned him off after giving him a $39MM/year contract in a state with no income tax lol. 

I mean, even if they don't like Bieniemy - even if they believe he'd be a lousy HC and even if they're right - he or anyone they hire is going to have a crap 2021 season because that team is a mess. There's then another year in 2022 after refueling a lot, and if they still look terrible the writing can be on the wall entering y3 -- if the team still greatly disappoints with a lot of questionable HCing, then he's dumped in Jan 2024. By then your roster should be mostly well retooled, all the current dead cap is long gone, and Watson is entering just his age 28 season.

That's all assuming EB's a terrible HC. Even my #1 issue with him was he's unproven on his own, not proven bad on his own. He may be an excellent HC, making the downside of the above is all just limited to a crap 2021 season that's happening no matter what.

Trading Watson would be madness no matter what the return. They're not going to find another one like him for 20 years, if even by then. Trading him is a net loss on already hurting cap room for 2021, and good luck attracting FAs who have options elsewhere when your reputation is for being the team that infuriated then threw away a 25 year-old Deshaun Watson.

It'll only make it worse that the optics of an upcoming train wreck season will be while Watson is scoring 30-40 TDs for someone else. I can't figure out how they think they're coming out of this smelling any better than a full septic tank. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's insane. This is a dream QB, and they've turned him off after giving him a $39MM/year contract in a state with no income tax lol. 

I mean, even if they don't like Bieniemy - even if they believe he'd be a lousy HC and even if they're right - he or anyone they hire is going to have a crap 2021 season because that team is a mess. There's then another year in 2022 after refueling a lot, and if they still look terrible the writing can be on the wall entering y3 -- if the team still greatly disappoints with a lot of questionable HCing, then he's dumped in Jan 2024. By then your roster should be mostly well retooled, all the current dead cap is long gone, and Watson is entering just his age 28 season.

That's all assuming EB's a terrible HC. Even my #1 issue with him was he's unproven on his own, not proven bad on his own. He may be an excellent HC, making the downside of the above is all just limited to a crap 2021 season that's happening no matter what.

Trading Watson would be madness no matter what the return. They're not going to find another one like him for 20 years, if even by then. Trading him is a net loss on already hurting cap room for 2021, and good luck attracting FAs who have options elsewhere when your reputation is for being the team that infuriated then threw away a 25 year-old Deshaun Watson.

It'll only make it worse that the optics of an upcoming train wreck season will be while Watson is scoring 30-40 TDs for someone else. I can't figure out how they think they're coming out of this smelling any better than a full septic tank. 

If Jets finally find a FQB and lose him at 25 y.o., that will truly make me question continued investment (time, emotions, money, etc) in this team. And I've been a Jets fan for longer than the Texans have existed. This is a PR nightmare of epic proportions.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's insane. This is a dream QB, and they've turned him off after giving him a $39MM/year contract in a state with no income tax lol. 

I mean, even if they don't like Bieniemy - even if they believe he'd be a lousy HC and even if they're right - he or anyone they hire is going to have a crap 2021 season because that team is a mess. There's then another year in 2022 after refueling a lot, and if they still look terrible the writing can be on the wall entering y3 -- if the team still greatly disappoints with a lot of questionable HCing, then he's dumped in Jan 2024. By then your roster should be mostly well retooled, all the current dead cap is long gone, and Watson is entering just his age 28 season.

That's all assuming EB's a terrible HC. Even my #1 issue with him was he's unproven on his own, not proven bad on his own. He may be an excellent HC, making the downside of the above is all just limited to a crap 2021 season that's happening no matter what.

Trading Watson would be madness no matter what the return. They're not going to find another one like him for 20 years, if even by then. Trading him is a net loss on already hurting cap room for 2021, and good luck attracting FAs who have options elsewhere when your reputation is for being the team that infuriated then threw away a 25 year-old Deshaun Watson.

It'll only make it worse that the optics of an upcoming train wreck season will be while Watson is scoring 30-40 TDs for someone else. I can't figure out how they think they're coming out of this smelling any better than a full septic tank. 

Worked wonders for the Mets in 1977.😎 Maybe they can do a seance with M.Donald Grant and Dick Young.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read that Watson prefers Miami.  I hope that is fake news.

I posted this before, we need to make a mega offer.  Get Watson if he agrees to play for us or at least drive up the price for Miami to 4 ones.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dcJet said:

If Watson picks his spot, He's going to Miami from what I've read.  

That's where'd I go if I were him. But even with a no-trade clause, Texans still have a say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No trade clause.  Crap.

I read 10 pages here yesterday and never picked up on that through all the flying jizz.

This changes everything.  I don't think we get him.  I mean, I wouldn't come here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dcJet said:

No trade clause.  Crap.

I read 10 pages here yesterday and never picked up on that through all the flying jizz.

This changes everything.  I don't think we get him.  I mean, I wouldn't come here.

image.png.222d9535608212cad9a970f5604d3440.png

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Hmm, how do the Texans have a say?

 

They can play hardball and tell Watson he stays unless he agrees to whichever team comes with the best offer. Will they? Don't know. If they don't want him in the division, for example, they could also refuse to field offers from those teams. Don't think they have an obligation to listen to all comers. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A reminder that Watson is fantastic, worth multiple high picks, and would be the best offensive player we've ever had.

If you disagree your opinion is wrong, objectively.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jgb said:

They can play hardball and tell Watson he stays unless he agrees to whichever team comes with the best offer. Will they? Don't know. If they don't want him in the division, for example, they could also refuse to field offers from those teams. Don't think they have an obligation to listen to all comers. 

Thanks.  So their leverage is:

Tell Watson to agree to the Texans preferred trade or report to work. 

Crap.  This is like the NBA.  He's not coming to the Knicks.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Thanks.  So their leverage is:

Tell Watson to agree to the Texans preferred trade, or report to work. 

Crap.  This is like the NBA.  He's not coming to the Knicks.

Basically dare Watson to hold out/not get paid rather than go somewhere he doesn't want to go. In this scenario, Texans don't get picks and don't get their QB. Mutually-assured destruction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To those thinking the price is too high.

This is for a QB not a RB.  Dude can play for another 15 years. 

Immediately,  this year's free agents listen to our offers.

Two years from now, we'll have more first round picks with a legit FQB on the roster.

 

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Basically dare Watson to hold out/not get paid rather than go somewhere he doesn't want to go. In this scenario, Texans don't get picks and don't get their QB. Mutually-assured destruction.

image.png.ea6df519c5855942c585f3343c5c63e4.png

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dcJet said:

image.png.ea6df519c5855942c585f3343c5c63e4.png

Lol yes a chance. But, in the case of a trade value tie-breaker or its close, Texans will likely opt for a team where Watson wants to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

Good listen for what Schefter says, basically, Watson picks his landing spot:
 

 

 

Jesus Christ Schefter, lay off the scotch and get some sleep... baseball fit face worse than my engineer father during the middle of a shut down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

They can play hardball and tell Watson he stays unless he agrees to whichever team comes with the best offer. Will they? Don't know. If they don't want him in the division, for example, they could also refuse to field offers from those teams. Don't think they have an obligation to listen to all comers. 

They have an obligation to listen to every team that calls but the no trade clause is a good thing for the Jets IM)

1.  The top of our organization is appealing. Look at the way our HC search just went.  The fact is JD is very well-respected in the league and just hired a HC who is equally well-respected.  Both Saleh and JD are signed for the next 5 years. 

2.  If Watson goes to a team without extra picks, he knows that the trade will likely strip the club of the opportunity to add cheap young talent.  We can make this deal while possibly still picking twice in the top 35 in 2021 and having first and second round picks in 2022.

3. With our cap space, even after we would add in his contract, we have enough room for Watson and his agent to recruit players to come with him.  It is very likely that if he is going to orchestrate his way out of Houston, he will also make a call to someone like Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin and try to get them to come with him. We have the cap space to let him do that.

4. While a bit unproven, Lafluer will be running a "QB friendly system".

Id love to give Saleh and JD the opportunity to recruit Watson here.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

They have an obligation to listen to every team that calls but the no trade clause is a good thing for the Jets IM)

1.  The top of our organization is appealing. Look at the way our HC search just went.  The fact is JD is very well-respected in the league and just hired a HC who is equally well-respected.  Both Saleh and JD are signed for the next 5 years. 

2.  If Watson goes to a team without extra picks, he knows that the trade will likely strip the club of the opportunity to add cheap young talent.  We can make this deal while possibly still picking twice in the top 35 in 2021 and having first and second round picks in 2022.

3. With our cap space, even after we would add in his contract, we have enough room for Watson and his agent to recruit players to come with him.  It is very likely that if he is going to orchestrate his way out of Houston, he will also make a call to someone like Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin and try to get them to come with him. We have the cap space to let him do that.

4. While a bit unproven, Lafluer will be running a "QB friendly system".

Id love to give Saleh and JD the opportunity to recruit Watson here.

You make some good points. MIA does have the no income tax thing, which is a plus, But I guess when you're making $40M/year, at some point being in a good situation is worth more than the incremental value of more money. He's also from the South and has played/lived his whole life in warm weather -- not sure if this is a big deal to him, or not.

In the end, his decision -- to stay, to go, and to where -- will likely come down to weighing many factors. It sure makes it easier if he wants the Jets -- or at least doesn't have us on the "no fly" list. Can't imagine a universe where the Jets don't make an offer.

I still believe the most likely resolution is that HOU blinks first, makes nice, and patches things up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Was way behind last night so catching up this morning. 10 pages in someone finally posted it.

Watson is $29.4MM/year for the next 5 years, not $40MM/year.

+ his salary would coincide with cap increases. You get a franchise QB & you can always figure out ways to stretch things a bit! He’s 25 years old, he could be here 10 years or more. Rogers is 37. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...