DeShaun Watson's Texans departure seems inevitable

3 hours ago, jgb said:

If Jets finally find a FQB and lose him at 25 y.o., that will truly make me question continued investment (time, emotions, money, etc) in this team. And I've been a Jets fan for longer than the Texans have existed. This is a PR nightmare of epic proportions.

They don’t have much of a great fan base anyway. 

IF Watson ever comes available, and that's a big if, I don't see it happening myself But.............

It will be interesting to see how much the Fish are interested.  They have announced that Tua will be their starting QB in 2021.  Of course that could change quickly.  

They have the draft capital to compete with the Jets, but they only have $32M in cap space.  They would have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing with contracts.  If Miami declines getting in a bidding war with the Jets, Watson's trade value could drop somewhat. 

Like I said,  I really doubt The Texans let him go, he hasn't asked for a trade yet, and I think things will get resolved, but if for some reason they don't, I'm not 100% sure the Fish will be going after him.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

IF Watson ever comes available, and that's a big if, I don't see it happening myself But.............

It will be interesting to see how much the Fish are interested.  They have announced that Tua will be their starting QB in 2021.  Of course that could change quickly.  

They have the draft capital to compete with the Jets, but they only have $32M in cap space.  They would have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing with contracts.  If Miami declines getting in a bidding war with the Jets, Watson's trade value could drop somewhat. 

Like I said,  I really doubt The Texans let him go, he hasn't asked for a trade yet, and I think things will get resolved, but if for some reason they don't, I'm not 100% sure the Fish will be going after him.

Haven't seen a lot of speculation about this but I can imagine some 3-way trades that could make sense. I know those are rare but that may be a way to handle a deal like this that would be one of the biggest in NFL history.

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

+ his salary would coincide with cap increases. You get a franchise QB & you can always figure out ways to stretch things a bit! He’s 25 years old, he could be here 10 years or more. Rogers is 37. 

Yep, but when I was just making that point it was when I was contrasting it to "what if Darnold instead, and he turns into a probowler with Sewell & Becton at tackle?" and they're the same cost cap-wise. There are the draft picks on top of that, and that's not insignificant, but since when has Watson required two top 10-ish tackles to perform? Makes the #2 pick's value lessened (if JD was actually to use it on Sewell). 

In terms of the cap it's not an issue. Never mind if Darnold whiffs again -- how many draft picks & seasons, paying a lot more than that to however-many other players, while the team goes through the next process of swinging & missing on the 2022 QB prospect, then giving him the usual Jets mulligan for sucking as a rookie, then another mulligan for injuries to him and/or others in year 2...

Seen that movie so many times before. Wasn't even good the first time. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I know Deshaun is young and in his prime, but I've seen him take some huge hits. He's fearless and holds the ball a lot, and even though he's young, he has tread on his tires from the massive hits he's taken.

OMG this could be said about any football player college or pro. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep, but when I was just making that point it was when I was contrasting it to "what if Darnold instead, and he turns into a probowler with Sewell & Becton at tackle?" and they're the same cost cap-wise. There are the draft picks on top of that, and that's not insignificant, but since when has Watson required two top 10-ish tackles to perform? Makes the #2 pick's value lessened (if JD was actually to use it on Sewell). 

In terms of the cap it's not an issue. Never mind if Darnold whiffs again -- how many draft picks & seasons, paying a lot more than that to however-many other players, while the team goes through the next process of swinging & missing on the 2022 QB prospect, then giving him the usual Jets mulligan for sucking as a rookie, then another mulligan for injuries to him and/or others in year 2...

Seen that movie so many times before. Wasn't even good the first time. 

PFF has Texans OL rated #22 on the year. Texans run game was #32. One of the best WRs in the NFL was sold for peanuts.  The entire organization was collapsing in real time. Watson: still elite production.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

PFF has Texans OL rated #22 on the year. Texans run game was #32. One of the best WRs in the NFL was sold for peanuts.  The entire organization was collapsing in real time. Watson: still elite production.

If they were anticipating $27MM/year for Hopkins AND $39MM/year for Watson, after already forking over a 1st round pick and $22MM/year for Tunsil, honestly they had to let Hopkins go. It’s not sustainable to have 3 players counting $90MM/year

The inconvenient truth for Watson is if they’d kept Hopkins they still wouldn’t have been a playoff team anyway - Miami didn’t get a WC slot at 10-6 - nor even a .500 team. Hopkins doesn’t transform them from a 4-win team to a 10-11 win team. Great as Hopkins is, the passing game wasn’t the problem down there without him. And if anything, it raised his stature in everyone’s eyes since no one can credibly claim Hopkins is making him look better than he really is.

I’m thrilled with the idea that Watson might be available to us, whatever the reason, but some of Watson’s complaints are meh assuming he was also happy about the deal that brought in (and then extended) Tunsil before losing Hopkins. I don’t recall any complaints when that happened. Yeah I agree I’d be pissed if ownership went back  on their promise to me a few months earlier - that honestly they never should have made in the first place - but I guarantee Watson can friggin’ add and subtract. A team can’t have 3 players on offense counting $90MM and further dock the team a cheap 1st round pick that’d help offset it a little. They’d have to be savants at drafting early-bloomers in the mid/late rounds to make that work, and if they were they wouldn’t have needed to trade for Tunsil & others.

The Texans showed firsthand how there is such a thing as over-investment in one group, or even one entire side of the ball. The Jets can make this fit specifically because Becton is so cheap for 3 more seasons (and very affordable for 1 more) and they have no Tunsils & Watts. That’s 4 more drafts to draft enough players to pipeline them in so they aren’t in the mess the Texans found themselves in this time last year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If they were anticipating $27MM/year for Hopkins AND $39MM/year for Watson, after already forking over a 1st round pick and $22MM/year for Tunsil, honestly they had to let Hopkins go. It’s not sustainable to have 3 players counting $90MM/year

The inconvenient truth for Watson is if they’d kept Hopkins they still wouldn’t have been a playoff team anyway - Miami didn’t get a WC slot at 10-6 - nor even a .500 team. Hopkins doesn’t transform them from a 4-win team to a 10-11 win team. Great as Hopkins is, the passing game wasn’t the problem down there without him. And if anything, it raised his stature in everyone’s eyes since no one can credibly claim Hopkins is making him look better than he really is.

I’m thrilled with the idea that Watson might be available to us, whatever the reason, but some of Watson’s complaints are meh assuming he was also happy about the deal that brought in (and then extended) Tunsil before losing Hopkins. I don’t recall any complaints when that happened. Yeah I agree I’d be pissed if ownership went back  on their promise to me a few months earlier - that honestly they never should have made in the first place - but I guarantee Watson can friggin’ add and subtract. A team can’t have 3 players on offense counting $90MM and further dock the team a cheap 1st round pick that’d help offset it a little. They’d have to be savants at drafting early-bloomers in the mid/late rounds to make that work, and if they were they wouldn’t have needed to trade for Tunsil & others.

The Texans showed firsthand how there is such a thing as over-investment in one group, or even one entire side of the ball. The Jets can make this fit specifically because Becton is so cheap for 3 more seasons (and very affordable for 1 more) and they have no Tunsils & Watts. That’s 4 more drafts to draft enough players to pipeline them in so they aren’t in the mess the Texans found themselves in this time last year.

As I’ve mentioned: unloading Hopkins wasn’t the sin. Failing to get back value was.

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

As I’ve mentioned: unloading Hopkins wasn’t the sin. Failing to get back value was.

That may very well have been the top offer, seeing how sky-high his demands were. I couldn’t believe the figure when it was released. Only way that works is if your QB is locked up on an under-market contract, like if JG was playing like a $35MM QB and was counting only $25MM. It’s all fungible anyway so which player counts which amount is all in one’s head. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That may very well have been the top offer, seeing how sky-high his demands were. I couldn’t believe the figure when it was released. Only way that works is if your QB is locked up on an under-market contract, like if JG was playing like a $35MM QB and was counting only $25MM. It’s all fungible anyway so which player counts which amount is all in one’s head. 

He was under contract with Texans through 2022. If that was the highest offer I take my chances with hardball and dare him to sit out for 3 years. BOB bungled it and it’s reported the friction was because Bill was very vocally outspoken against Hopkins having kids without being married.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

He was under contract with Texans through 2022. If that was the highest offer I take my chances with hardball and dare him to sit out for 3 years. BOB bungled it and it’s reported the friction was because Bill was very vocally outspoken against Hopkins having kids without being married.

OK I couldn’t remember the situation and was too lazy to look it up (would take valuable time away from typing words). That’s nutty, but I don’t care about the whole story. The Tunsil trade/extension killed any chance of keeping Hopkins, particularly if he was pining for a pay bump (and presumably he was or what was SF’s rush to extend him; it’s not like they got any kind of discount for getting in early). 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OK I couldn’t remember the situation and was too lazy to look it up (would take valuable time away from typing words). That’s nutty, but I don’t care about the whole story. The Tunsil trade/extension killed any chance of keeping Hopkins, particularly if he was pining for a pay bump (and presumably he was or what was SF’s rush to extend him; it’s not like they got any kind of discount for getting in early). 

I’m usually very pro-player but if hardball isn’t justified when a player tries to renegotiate an extension 18 months after signing it, then it’s never justified.

But I also wouldn’t have slut-shamed Nuk which is where this is really coming from. If he had a good relationship with BOB, he wouldn’t have tried to shoot his way out at that time. BOB screwed the pooch at every level and devalued the very asset he ran out of town. The compensation he received was a joke and everyone in the league knows it. A situation BOB created himself and with what went down this year, impossible for me to see it any other way.

If (BIG IF) Watson is on the trading block, does he have a say where he goes?  If money is a big part of it, which it usually is, and he has a say where he wants to go, it will be the Dolphins in my opinion...NO STATE INCOME TAX.  NFL should put that BS on the table because these states have a clear advantage.

2 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

If (BIG IF) Watson is on the trading block, does he have a say where he goes?  If money is a big part of it, which it usually is, and he has a say where he wants to go, it will be the Dolphins in my opinion...NO STATE INCOME TAX.  NFL should put that BS on the table because these states have a clear advantage.

I think the tax free states need every advantage they can get. Ny to a 25 year old with all the money in the world??? Paradise. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

OMG this could be said about any football player college or pro. 

Or High School , just ask my son.

After his last game, he walked up into the stands and asked "Dad, would it upset you if I never put on a Football Helmet again?" I teared up, hugged him, and told him that would make me the happiest father on earth.

Football is a brutal sport. I have the upmost respect for these athletes, especially the ones that are the best of the best. Tremendous Human Beings.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

With Bieniemy looking more and more like the next Texans coach, expect Watson and McNair to kiss and make up

The real question here is ‘would Biennemy and Cisserio prefer a new start with draft capital, additional cap space and a young cheap QB’?

If so.... they may want to move forward cause if things don’t get better next year, this sh*t with DW could start all over again!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Wit said:

I think the tax free states need every advantage they can get. Ny to a 25 year old with all the money in the world??? Paradise. 

I thought players get taxed based on where they play, meaning watson would have no income tax for his home games, but his away games would be taxed per the state hes playing in.

Nervous but I have to trust JD here.

I really don't want the Jets to overpay here.  My comfort comes from thinking that JD is a much better custodian of both Draft picks and Cap $$ than his predecessors were.  He only pulled the trigger on a Jamal Adams trade once the compensation was at least fair value for the Jets, probably better than that.  He cuts losses with guys like Le'Veon Bell.  He was a tightwad (and I criticized him for this) at the WR position last offseason in FA.  He seems very, very careful when spending resources.

This all makes me think we won't overpay and he won't do anything to hamstring the team in terms of draft picks.  I don't want to see more than TWO 1st round picks included in a deal for Watson if one of them is the #2 overall.   Maybe the #2 this year, the #34 (2nd) this year, and a 1st next year.  For me at least, it's hard to do a whole lot more than that for a Jets team that is rebuilding.  Maybe throw in another 3rd or something, but the Jets really need draft picks to help this team.  We can't trade out of a ton of early picks the next two years or we'll be forced to do exactly what we hated Macc for doing, throwing money at free agents to build a team because we have no picks.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

WFAN’s Craig Carton just said there’s news breaking that the Houston Texans have begun to have internal discussions with NFL teams for trade packages “that makes sense”. It’s happening folks.

71+WI6Qh-+L._AC_UX679_.jpg

Houston Texans trade packages.

SAR I

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The real question here is ‘would Biennemy and Cisserio prefer a new start with draft capital, additional cap space and a young cheap QB’?

If so.... they may want to move forward cause if things don’t get better next year, this sh*t with DW could start all over again!

Well, we should know more soon as Houston has announced they completed their interview with Bienemy. They can't hire him until after KC's season ends, right? I'd still expect there would be some leaks if that's the resolution ...

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Nervous but I have to trust JD here.

I really don't want the Jets to overpay here.  My comfort comes from thinking that JD is a much better custodian of both Draft picks and Cap $$ than his predecessors were.  He only pulled the trigger on a Jamal Adams trade once the compensation was at least fair value for the Jets, probably better than that.  He cuts losses with guys like Le'Veon Bell.  He was a tightwad (and I criticized him for this) at the WR position last offseason.

This all makes me think we won't overpay and he won't do anything to hamstring the team in terms of draft picks.  I don't want to see more than TWO 1st round picks included in a deal for Watson if one of them is the #2 overall.   Maybe the #2 this year, the #34 (2nd) this year, and a 1st next year.  For me at least, it's hard to do a whole lot more than that for a Jets team that is rebuilding.  Maybe throw in another 3rd or something, but the Jets really need draft picks to help this team.  We can't trade out of a ton of early picks the next two years or we'll be forced to do exactly what hated Macc for doing, throwing money and free agents to build a team because we have no picks.

GM's love that 1st or 2nd pick on day 2.  That might get it done.

More incentive for JD.  If he gets this done for only two firsts, 80 is going to kiss him full on the mouth.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

GM's love that 1st or 2nd pick on day 2.  That might get it done.

More incentive for JD.  If he gets this done for two firsts, 80 is going to kiss him full in the mouth.

Good point.  You're right.  GMs (and everyone) love having that 1st round end and then having a night to sit on the top (or one of the top) picks that start Day 2 of the Draft.  I remember last year being so excited about how many WRs dropped to Round 2 and then watching them all get taken to start the next day.

If the #2 this year, the #34 this year (second pick in Round 2) and a 1st next year can get it done then I'd make that move.

My concern would be that Miami can offer the #3 and the #18 this year.  But I'd have to hope the Texans just wouldn't want the embarrassment of trading to get their own picks back.

• Upvote 2