DeShaun Watson's Texans departure seems inevitable

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

We all know where he's going unfortunately.

The #3 + Tua is much better than the #2 + Darnold.  Sure, the Jets could throw in the #23 or 34, but Miami can throw in the #18 or do some pick swaps.

will smith miami GIF by Romy

The only wildcard is that Miami already screwed them in a deal that put them in this situation. 

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

I'd be SHOCKED if this plays out.  This is not how JD rolls.  Putting Watson on this team as currently constructed is like paying for premium unleaded to run your lawnmower....

How do we know how "JD rolls"?  He's had one offseason here.  No one has any real clue what Douglas is going to end up doing at QB this offseason.  Not even @Mogglez or @football guy, who have great information but can only make educated guesses at this.  There's a ton of time between now and late April.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Just checking, smart would be agreeing with you, and disagreeing with vast majority of everyone else?

As a reminder, unlike "the vast majority of everyone" here, I wanted to draft Watson out of college, and I was 100% correct about him and his pro potential. 

So no need to be a dick about it, eh.  

Smart would be evaluating the potential gain vs. potential the loss.

Smart would be looking at a cost of 3-4 first round picks of talent, vs. a QB who may or may not be what he was in Texas once he is here.

We're a team with a very low level of talent. Put Watson on this team as it is, great, we're still a 4-5 win team.  Just like Watson was this year.

It certainly could be the right move, Watson has to-date shown himself to be a Franchise QB.

But a Franchise QB on a talent-deficient team is still a loser. 

I'd love to have Watson, just like I wanted Watson back then.  But I want Watson on a team with talent, not on this team, and trading away all our top-end draft capital will hurt this team materially in the long term in terms of talent.

Sorry things aren't always as simple as "I've heard of him, so it must be a great move, get it done JD!". 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Watson chews up a lot of cap room.  For a dude that rolled the dice twice and traded DOWN into Mims, Watson doesn't seem like a JD move.  More like a Tannebaum move IMO...

And we have more cap space than anyone other than the Jaguars (and we have a much stronger idea of what they're about to do at QB).  So what's your point?

This is all very unlikely but it's not impossible and it certainly isn't predicated on what Douglas did last offseason.  Last season was about clearing out bad contracts and adding a lot of draft picks.  This offseason he has the tools at his disposal to be very aggressive at improving the roster.

I am amazed at this thread. 

Did we not learn anything from Levon Bell and JA?

Why would we want to do all this again?  Definition of insanity. Repeat your mistakes but expect a different outcome.

Athletic ability is only one part of the equation. It’s why they have interviews. 

Don’t shortcut the process. JD and RS need to a build a core of players who will set the culture. Then you can add riskier personality types. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This wouldnundo basically all the improvements we have made as a team. Done are the days thank God for wasting draft capitol at the expense of the team

Yes, adding an elite, 25-year old QB would most certainly unravel all of Douglas' plans for this team.  The horror.

Every GM out there craves finding the next Mahomes.  Barring that, they crave finding the next Watson.  A potential shortcut to that is something a competent GM has to explore.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, addage said:

Why would we want to do all this again?  Definition of insanity. Repeat your mistakes but expect a different outcome.

Athletic ability is only one part of the equation. It’s why they have interviews. 

Don’t shortcut the process. JD and RS need to a build a core of players who will set the culture. Then you can add riskier personality types. 

billy madison idiot GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Exactly who is the risky personality type?

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

When have the Jets traded a bunch of picks for a pro bowl QB in his prime?

It would be unprecedented in NFL history.  The Chargers and Drew Brees would at first glance be an example.  Except they didn't trade Brees, they allowed him to walk in free agency.  And I don't see a Phillip Rivers waiting on Houston's roster....

People keep trying to make comparisons to the Jets' past or Douglas' past on this one, and it's nonsensical.  It's never happened in NFL history so there's no reason to try to make a historical connection of any kind.

• Upvote 2

The odds of Watson "being who he has been" is much higher than Bell "took a year off with a million miles on his tires" Bell, in fairness.

The problem I see is who is playing with Watson if we trade 3-4 1st round picks (or more) to acquire him?

Who is our #1 WR, something Watson desperately needs?  Who is our elite RB?  Who are are great O-linemen?

/shrug, maybe the Homers are right.  Maybe we WILL "just sign Robinson, Thuney, etc." and get Watson, and we'll be great.

I suppose it could happen.  The cycic that I am lols at that, but it could.

Or Watson could come here, be as unsupported as every other QB has been here, and see a major drop off in his production (and he's already shown himself a bit of a primadonna with all this drama so far about wanting out, a la a certain Safety we all know).

I don't know.  I really liked Watson.  We could have had him for a single 1st round pick.  It pains me we might have spent a 1 and 3x 2nd's to get Darnold instead, then spend 3-4x 1st round picks to get Watson now.  But no, that's not Jetsy at all.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As a reminder, unlike "the vast majority of everyone" here, I wanted to draft Watson out of college, and I was 100% correct about him and his pro potential. 

So no need to be a dick about it, eh.  

Smart would be evaluating the potential gain vs. potential the loss.

Smart would be looking at a cost of 3-4 first round picks of talent, vs. a QB who may or may not be what he was in Texas once he is here.

We're a team with a very low level of talent. Put Watson on this team as it is, great, we're still a 4-5 win team.  Just like Watson was this year.

It certainly could be the right move, Watson has to-date shown himself to be a Franchise QB.

But a Franchise QB on a talent-deficient team is still a loser. 

I'd love to have Watson, just like I wanted Watson back then.  But I want Watson on a team with talent, not on this team, and trading away all our top-end draft capital will hurt this team materially in the long term in terms of talent.

Sorry things aren't always as simple as "I've heard of him, so it must be a great move, get it done JD!". 

Say we did something like Daniel Jeremiah proposed in his tweet. 
We’d be giving them 3 first rounders. But still have one this year and next year. Plenty of draft capital moving forward to build this team out. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The success the jets have had in the rex era was due to a great team not mark sanchez.

Even more of a reason to invest at QB.  Teams just don't win titles with C or D grade QB's.  Get the QB and all of a sudden it becomes a lot easier to build a contender.  The 2009-10 Jets were a unicorn type of roster.  You don't find teams with an elite OL AND elite defense anymore.  They don't exist.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Say we did something like Daniel Jeremiah proposed in his tweet. 
We’d be giving them 3 first rounders. But still have one this year and next year. Plenty of draft capital moving forward to build this team out. 

I'm sorry, I'm not on Twitter and didn't see it posted in this thread.  Can you repost it?

14 minutes ago, addage said:

Are Bell & Adams franchise QB’s who threw nearly 5,000 yards 33 TD’s & 7 INT’s with no team?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Take it with a grain of salt but I’ve heard from my own little source that JD has already made a phone call to the Texans about Watson. Does anything materialize? Idk but it would make sense that he called if the Texans have already started thinking about partners & compensation.

This would be fantastic news if true.  Just the mere idea that Douglas is being proactive on this would give me a lot of hope.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why can't we have both?  It's not an either/or proposition.  

Because it is much tougher to build a team with no high picks.

Watson comes where just swap the jets with houston, the team we are laughing at for being lousy and having no picks.

Like every single move, it all depends on the price asked.

In any case, i doubt very much if he i going anywhere.