DeShaun Watson's Texans departure seems inevitable

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, and how many Super Bowls did that give us?

I want a QB.

Watson has two 1 and dones in the playoffs and is coming off a 4 win season.  If the Texans will take Seattle's pick and Darnold then do it.

If they want the 2nd, 23rd, and Darnold they can F off.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because it is much tougher to build a team with no high picks.

Watson comes where just swap the jets with houston, the team we are laughing at for being lousy and having no picks.

Like every single move, it all depends on the price asked.

In any case, i doubt very much if he i going anywhere.

We have two firsts and two 3rds in this draft and two firsts in the next draft.  Plus if we add Watson we'd likely trade Darnold for more pick(s), unless of course he'd be included in the trade to Houston.  There's plenty of capital available to build around Watson, regardless of the package of picks we give up to get him.

And as I mentioned in a previous post, it becomes a lot easier to attract free agent WR's if you have a real QB.  Guys like Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin would be much more likely to come to a Jets roster with Watson on it.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Cmon old man! 
I gotchu..

Thanks.  It's not that I don't know Tech, I just loathe social media.  But it can be useful to read it when other repost it, lol.

So that deal, maybe.  Still guts the rebuild for a number of years.

But honestly, I don't think the Texans accept it.  If I'm them, trading the league leader in passing, my starting point is "both 2021 #1's, both 2022 #1 and your 2023 #1".  We could negotiate that down of course, but I don't see any way we walk away with a #1 in 2021 or our higher pick in 2022 by the end of such a deal.

I like Watson.  Would love to have him.  But I love having an O-line and WR's and RB's too.  Dear lord if we trade the farm for Watson, and in November 2021 someone on JN is posting "Watson just needs time, and weapons".....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Thanks.  It's not that I don't know Tech, I just loathe social media.  But it can be useful to read it when other repost it, lol.

So that deal, maybe.  Still guts the rebuild for a number of years.

But honestly, I don't think the Texans accept it.  If I'm then, trading the league leader in passing, my starting point is "both 2021 #1's, both 2022 #1 and your 2023 #1".  We could negotiate that down of course, but I don't see any way we walk away with a #1 in 2021 or our higher pick in 2022 by the end of such a deal.

Well yes, then you don’t do it. Not for 5 1’s lol. 
I don’t think it would take that though. If Watson wants out and leaving them no choice, then they have to take the best offer. 

But for something close to Jeremiahs proposal, I’m all for. It doesn’t gut the rebuild at all. You have plenty of picks left. to make things happen. Plus free agency to fill out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

With matt ryan atlanta won 4 games

with deshaun watson houston won 4 games

with herbert the chargers won 7 games

Cousins and stafford both decent QBs losing records.

If watson came to the jets and we had to give up rebuilding draft picks the jets would win.....4 games

Atlanta fired their coach.

Texans fired their coach.

Chargers fired their coach. 

Lions fired their coach. 

The problem with those teams wasn't the QB, it was coaching. If Watson comes to the Jets under Saleh/LaFleur, we will win a lot more than 4 games. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, morny said:

This thread is just building me full of hope, so that when he gets traded elsewhere (Dolphins probably) it will be *extra* painful.

He has veto over the trade partner. Maybe Saleh helps the possibility of him coming here but he wants to go to Miami 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

Watson has two 1 and dones in the playoffs and is coming off a 4 win season.  If the Texans will take Seattle's pick and Darnold then do it.

With nothing else attached? I'm doing this in a second.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Is Watson really that good? Without Hopkins?

4,823 passing yards, 70.2 completion percentage, 33 TD's, 7 INT's, without Hopkins in 2020.

Yes, he is that good, admittedly.  He is a legitimate franchise QB.

He's instantly the best QB we've had in a very long time.

The issue isn't Watson, it's the cost, and how we build a team around Watson with what we have left.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Warfish said:

4,823 passing yards, 70.2 completion percentage, 33 TD's, 7 INT's, without Hopkins in 2020.

Yes, he is that good, admittedly.  He is a legitimate franchise QB.

He'd easily be the best QB, and arguably the best offensive player to ever don green and white.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

With matt ryan atlanta won 4 games

with deshaun watson houston won 4 games

with herbert the chargers won 7 games

Cousins and stafford both decent QBs losing records.

If watson came to the jets and we had to give up rebuilding draft picks the jets would win.....4 games

With no cap room or near future high picks.

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, adding an elite, 25-year old QB would most certainly unravel all of Douglas' plans for this team.  The horror.

Every GM out there craves finding the next Mahomes.  Barring that, they crave finding the next Watson.  A potential shortcut to that is something a competent GM has to explore.

Sure they want to find him in the draft. I think you kissed the point. You don't spend all the picks we attained to build the team correctly, then spend them to get a FA. That would be silly. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

Vintage Pac

Has undying love and patience for failed QBs like Sanchez, Geno, and Darnold, relentlessly defends Jamal Adams with his All-pro status, but scoffs at the idea of giving up 2 1st round picks and one aforementioned failed QB for a 3x Pro-Bowl QB coming off a season in which he set career high numbers in yards (~4800) TDs (33), both which would be Jets franchise records, while throwing only 7 INTs and doing so on an imploding 4-12 team.

You gotta at least respect the consistency.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  People are treating it like we're going after Matthew Stafford.  Now THAT would be a questionable "win now" move.

Watson is a win now AND win later move.

He's a 25 year old with a career 104 QB rating. Anything other than multiple first round picks for him would find JD in prison for grand theft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Lol of course you think Watson is overrated. 

If Watson played for the Jets, I promise you Pac would be making arguments about GOAT.   He’s not credible.  He decided to hate him when people complained on passing on him for Jamal.  He’s so jaded, he doesn’t even remember Watson making one of the greatest plays in the history of the playoffs to beat the Bills just last year.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Vintage Pac

Has undying love and patience for failed QBs like Sanchez, Geno, and Darnold, relentlessly defends Jamal Adams with his All-pro status, but scoffs at the idea of giving up 2 1st round picks and one aforementioned failed QB for a 3x Pro-Bowl QB coming off a season in which he set career high numbers in yards (~4800) TDs (33), both which would be Jets franchise records, while throwing only 7 INTs and doing so on an imploding 4-12 team.

You gotta at least respect the consistency.

Watson put up one of the best statistical seasons in history with a corpse of a team around him, and Romeo Crennel. If you can get him, get him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1