Chargers Hiring Rams DC Staley as head coach: MERGED

Mogglez

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Sounds like Daboll is staying with Buffalo.

So, despite inexplicable fan and media infatuation, apparently the guys running NFL teams aren't quite convinced of 4 months of success negating a 20+ year career before that?  Go figure.

Pretty funny to have that kind of quote about next year coming from someone close to Daboll though, as opposed to any teams... doesn't really mean a whole lot.  If he's able to put together a similar season in a more normal NFL year, that will likely hold true, but if it settles back to anything like the rest of his career, he won't be getting many calls.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The unfortunate thing about Bieniemy is that every team would want to hire him.... if he was a good HC candidate.  It's becoming painful to hear all these analysts ask over and over why he isn't getting serious opportunities.  The sad realization is that he's just not ready or not quite HC material at this point.  The guy has been getting interviews for years.  They're apparently not going well enough.

Trust me, there is no grand conspiracy against Eric Bieniemy.  The NFL is a results business.  No team is saying that they'd rather win 6 games with Brandon Staley instead of 9 games with Eric Bieniemy.  Owners want to make money, GMs want to keep their job.  The way they do that is by winning.  If they thought Bieniemy gave them a better chance to win than these other candidates he'd get a job.

There appears to be two issues with Bieniemy. There have been stories that he doesn't interview well.  The other, and the more important one, is that he is not the OC in KC. Reid is. Reid calls the plays.  If Bieniemy doesn't call the plays or draw up game plans, why is he qualified to be a HC?  

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I feel like we're missing something here.

A couple of guesses...  With the Bills winning perhaps the Chargers were getting a little nervous about waiting and getting caught empty-handed if everyone hired coaches and they banked on Daboll, then he declined for some reason.

It's also very possible that Staley simply blew them away, that he has a good plan for his staff and for how to continue Herbert's development.  Some teams believe it's better to hire a guy a year too early and feel a little pain as he grows into being a head coach than to wait and miss out on him as he becomes the hot candidate the following year.

The other interesting thing is some of these tweets talking about Daboll being the hot guy "next year" makes it sound like he wants nothing to do with Detroit, Houston, Philly right now which isn't a great way to position yourself if those teams are interested in you and you're already signaling you don't want a HC job in those places.  I might be off base here but only elite guys get to really pick where they want to go.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There appears to be two issues with Bieniemy. There have been stories that he doesn't interview well.  The other, and the more important one, is that he is not the OC in KC. Reid is. Reid calls the plays.  If Bieniemy doesn't call the plays or draw up game plans, why is he qualified to be a HC?  

There are also some lesser off the field issues in his past that aren't horrible but form a pattern that could concern owners and GMs.  If he were an elite candidate I think teams would accept that small risk, but taking a chance on a guy from a qualification standpoint AND taking a chance that he may goof up or embarrass the organization at some point is probably too much to stomach for billion dollar organizations.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with someone on here so indicated that Bieniemy maybe needed to go to a college team for a few years as the head guy.

I think the biggest hold off on him is #1 his record (law not Football), and #2 playcalling experience.

He just needs to show he can be competent when the whole offense rests on him, and depending on what he shows he could get hired very quickly.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Looks like he already has a few names in minds.  Saleh is very close to the LaFleurs.  That would be a McDaniels/Colts like move from a professional standpoint and a Scar/Mufasa type of backstab to Saleh.

And this is not the face of man you want to backstab:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/K2rfoejhy1Ouo_hqq5oxaKQW6S4Jqqq7_UM0DqBphQbh4LpcoJxTNYQX1DfoMdUDsMVrfeSMefQyvhljhQUN3NYJeTqUT5mMztiW2SCEMZrhoA34WaCn9z7k1l0

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

A couple of guesses...  With the Bills winning perhaps the Chargers were getting a little nervous about waiting and getting caught empty-handed if everyone hired coaches and they banked on Daboll, then he declined for some reason.

It's also very possible that Staley simply blew them away, that he has a good plan for his staff and for how to continue Herbert's development.  Some teams believe it's better to hire a guy a year too early and feel a little pain as he grows into being a head coach than to wait and miss out on him as he becomes the hot candidate the following year.

The other interesting thing is some of these tweets talking about Daboll being the hot guy "next year" makes it sound like he wants nothing to do with Detroit, Houston, Philly right now which isn't a great way to position yourself if those teams are interested in you and you're already signaling you don't want a HC job in those places.  I might be off base here but only elite guys get to really pick where they want to go.

I think you're right on both counts.  By all accounts, Staley has been very impressive in his interviews, and he was able to cement the job by being available for a second interview to land it, which Daboll obviously wasn't.  The Chargers went with the bird in the hand.  If the Rams had won yesterday and the Bills had lost, the announcement today would have likely been that Daboll was the new Chargers HC.

I'm not surprised that the tweet implied that Daboll was blindsided.  Despite Staley praising the Chargers' owners in his statement (of course he would), I lived in the San Diego area for 4 years until recently, and the Spanos family was universally hated there - even before they moved the team up to LA.  It probably would not be beyond them to string someone along and then change directions suddenly if they felt it benefitted them.

The statement from the "source close to Daboll" is obviously to save face.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles are interested in him, since their #1 priority seems to be to rehabilitate Wentz and Daboll was able to help turn a raw prospect like Josh Allen into an MVP candidate fairly quickly.  But if there's not mutual (or any) interest from both sides, this quick statement is now out there to preserve Daboll's future prospects.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Looks like he already has a few names in minds.  Saleh is very close to the LaFleurs.  That would be a McDaniels/Colts like move from a professional standpoint and a Scar/Mufasa type of backstab to Saleh.

Interesting note on Kevin O'Connell.  If he's the current Rams OC, wouldn't the Chargers' OC job be a lateral move?  So, wouldn't the Rams need to sign off, or would adding an "/ Assistant Head Coach" label to his title be enough to prevent the Rams from blocking the move?

2 hours ago, Wit said:

Wow that is impressive. Who will this kid being as his OC? Maybe pederson wants a year to have a little fun. 

Where will Bienemy and Daboll end up?? Looks like success is actually biting them in the ass. 

on the sidelines holding Andy Reid's clipboard... 

7 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Interesting note on Kevin O'Connell.  If he's the current Rams OC, wouldn't the Chargers' OC job be a lateral move?  So, wouldn't the Rams need to sign off, or would adding an "/ Assistant Head Coach" label to his title be enough to prevent the Rams from blocking the move?

I could be totally wrong on this, but O’Connell doesn’t actually call the plays so he could take a job willing to give him those duties without the Rams blocking the move.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I could be totally wrong on this, but O’Connell doesn’t actually call the plays so he could take a job willing to give him those duties without the Rams blocking the move.

Yup. If the Chargers job comes with playcalling, which he doesn't currently have, then it's classed as a promotion and O'connell can move.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There are entire regional chapters of The Proud Boys that have more ethnic diversity than the NFL coaching fraternity. 

Funny, true, sad and perhaps a result of the new NFL policy which would have resulted in the Chargers gifting extra draft picks to their rival. the Chiefs, if they had hired Bienemy.....

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

It's really telling that we got most people's first pick for HC even though media members and fans treated the Jet position like the red-headed step child. That combined with a high profile GM prospect coming over to us in Douglas makes me feel like the "JETE LOL" narrative by people is just a narrative.

The Texans are taking the mantle from the Jets!

• Haha 1