Chargers Hiring Rams DC Staley as head coach: MERGED

Mogglez

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Funny, true, sad and perhaps a result of the new NFL policy which would have resulted in the Chargers gifting extra draft picks to their rival. the Chiefs, if they had hired Bienemy.....

That's the usual result when those "in the know" attempt to manipulate the law of supply and demand.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I get it but it is a BIG gamble. He is making 1.2 million this year. Maybe the Bills reward him with a new contract and he makes 2 million next year. 

But what does a head coach make on the low side, 5 million per year? And that is all guaranteed. I think Gase had a 4 year \ 20 million dollar deal. Half of which he sits at home and collects.  Hard to pass that up which is why I think so many coaches take less than desirable jobs.

Agree Max.  There are 31 jobs beside the one that's interested in you coaching for that team.  In the entire world.  Turn it down and you may have passed on your one and only shot.  Ever.  

I always remember Shotty Jr.  Miami was hot to hire him, he turned down the interview, rumor for a better job.  In his mind situation it made sense at the time.  HSince that request he's never even been called for an interview.  Its been 10 years, I bet he wishes he had taken that interview..

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

Great hire. Staley was not going to turn down a job interview for experience purposes, but wasn't going to take a job just to take it. This was his #1 job because he didn't want to uproot his family so quickly. 

Eagles have a pretty interesting list of guys they want to interview, by the way.

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Great hire. Staley was not going to turn down a job interview for experience purposes, but wasn't going to take a job just to take it. This was his #1 job because he didn't want to uproot his family so quickly. 

I thought Staley was a young but exceptional candidate this year.  Smart guy.  Gets both sides of the ball very well.  He's a better candidate than Daboll, who has had a mediocre career until this run of the Bills.  I really don't think there was serious contention for Bienemy among the teams.  

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

If the owner leaves Staley alone the Chargers are going to be a big time football power for a long time.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MykePM said:

Interesting note on Kevin O'Connell.  If he's the current Rams OC, wouldn't the Chargers' OC job be a lateral move?  So, wouldn't the Rams need to sign off, or would adding an "/ Assistant Head Coach" label to his title be enough to prevent the Rams from blocking the move?

I have a question, can the team block someone, promote him on their own to block a move?  His coach, the one he worked under was fired, so could he be blocked without knowing if the new regime was even keeping him?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I have a question, can the team block someone, promote him on their own to block a move?  His coach, the one he worked under was fired, so could he be blocked without knowing if the new regime was even keeping him?

I’m guessing that your question was open to everyone, but since you asked it off of my post, I’ll give it a shot and let anyone who knows more jump in.

I think that, in your scenario, the team that fired the head coach can hold onto and still enforce the contracts of his staff.  Those contracts are with the team, not the former head coach.  However, I think that teams will often allow the assistant coaches to interview for other opportunities, if they have them.  I can’t offer any proof, or even concrete examples.  But, I remember reading at some point over the years that a team that fired their head coach was holding onto the assistants for an extraordinary amount of time during a long search for the new head coach, and they weren’t happy about it.  It may have even been the Jets, but my old man brain can’t recall.

Given that, the usual rules for whether a coach can interview with another team would apply.  The team could theoretically say “we don’t want to let you interview with Team X, but we’d like to promote you”.  In theory, the coach could refuse the promotion, but it would still be left to the team to decide to keep him in his current role or release him, based on that.  They could theoretically also block him from leaving and then release him when the new coach was hired, but I’m sure that it would be viewed as an extreme dick move that would hurt their reputation for future coaching hires.

2 minutes ago, MykePM said:

I’m guessing that your question was open to everyone, but since you asked it off of my post, I’ll give it a shot and let anyone who knows more jump in.

I think that, in your scenario, the team that fired the head coach can hold onto and still enforce the contracts of his staff.  Those contracts are with the team, not the former head coach.  However, I think that teams will often allow the assistant coaches to interview for other opportunities, if they have them.  I can’t offer any proof, or even concrete examples.  But, I remember reading at some point over the years that a team that fired their head coach was holding onto the assistants for an extraordinary amount of time during a long search for the new head coach, and they weren’t happy about it.  It may have even been the Jets, but my old man brain can’t recall.

Given that, the usual rules for whether a coach can interview with another team would apply.  The team could theoretically say “we don’t want to let you interview with Team X, but we’d like to promote you”.  In theory, the coach could refuse the promotion, but it would still be left to the team to decide to keep him in his current role or release him, based on that.  They could theoretically also block him from leaving and then release him when the new coach was hired, but I’m sure that it would be viewed as an extreme dick move that would hurt their reputation for future coaching hires.

I agree with you, their contracts are still in place and they can be retained.  And most teams allow their assistants to interview, especially they dont know the incoming HC wants that assistant or if he has someone else in mind to fit the position .  I jdont know how a GM can promote a staff member of a non existent HC, I just dont know and was asking aloud

14 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You'd be hard pressed to convince me the Jets didn't win this coaching search off-season, which I did not anticipate.

Some might say Urban and the Jags, but I have long been against Urb and the NFL.

Totally agree. Urban was the "splash" hire but Saleh seemed like the most desired NFL guy and we got him... I thought the Jets job was the third most appealing but most seemed to think it was less so. You never know how these things play out but it's encouraging to hear people saying good things about the Jets for once.

• Upvote 1