Non-disclosure agreements

neweypie

Being new to the ways of the NFL, I am surprised that sacked GM's and coaches go away so quietly. For example, given all of the things thrown at our previous GM I am surprised he hasn't given his version of events and explained why he did certain things. Are they all given extra money to stay quiet and if so, is it for a certain amount of time?

NDAs vary depending on relationship, industry, and standards of said industry.  Some may last indefinitely but more than likely what you are seeing in play is the clause that kicks in at the expiration of the NDA. The person is almost always gagged by obligations that extended beyond any specified end date. What someone is exposed to and privy to when working in any capacity can be construed as Intellectual Property which means they cannot discuss it.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, neweypie said:

Being new to the ways of the NFL, I am surprised that sacked GM's and coaches go away so quietly. For example, given all of the things thrown at our previous GM I am surprised he hasn't given his version of events and explained why he did certain things. Are they all given extra money to stay quiet and if so, is it for a certain amount of time?

They have strict NDA’s with clawbacks.  And it’s an old boys club.  Burn 1 owner, you burn all 32. 

SAR I

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, neweypie said:

This has always been an intriguing topic and I think it has to do with reputation and contract shenanigans, but I wouldn't see Mac doing it. I think his rep and decisions are pretty clear cut and dry.

I mean what is he going to do? Admit the coffee cups were staged?

I have never seen any reference to NDAs in discussions of NFL contracts but since the average life span of a coaching or front office staff is 4-6 years and these guys are all nomads going from team to team over their careers it may just be understood that if you shoot your mouth off about the people at your last job there isn't going to be a next job.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

I have never seen any reference to NDAs in discussions of NFL contracts but since the average life span of a coaching or front office staff is 4-6 years and these guys are all nomads going from team to team over their careers it may just be understood that if you shoot your mouth off about the people at your last job there isn't going to be a next job.

1 minute ago, neweypie said:

Yes, the fear burning of bridges makes sense. It just doesn't make sense to me when someone has nothing to lose but maybe these guys never think they are totally out of contention for another gig.

Guys like Maccagnan are done. People like Manish would love to hear what he has to say. Realistically, again.. the reason they don't sing is because the Intellectual Property Law that has them being quiet to avoid being SOL. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Guys like Maccagnan are done. People like Manish would love to hear what he has to say. Realistically, again.. the reason they don't sing is because the Intellectual Property Law that has them being quiet to avoid being SOL. 

Huh? Trashing your old boss is copyrighted????