Adam Schefter: 1 Team In Best Position For Deshaun Watson Trade

NYJets8

More and more, it looks like the Houston Texans are going to be left with no other recourse than to trade quarterback Deshaun Watson.

On Sunday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that there is “a growing sense” that Watson has played his game for the Texans. The star passer is reportedly unhappy about the general direction of the franchise and the way organizational brass has conducted football business of late.

If Watson is available via trade, almost every team in the NFL should want to acquire him. However, not every team has the requisite draft capital to pull off such a blockbuster.

The New York Jets are one team that does, and Schefter thinks they are the best positioned to put together a package for Watson.

New Jets head coach Robert Saleh is said to be high on incumbent quarterback Sam Darnold, the team’s 2018 first-round pick. That may be the case, but if the Jets have a real shot at getting Watson, they have to jump on it.

Darnold may have the potential to be better than what he’s shown through three NFL seasons, but Watson is already a top-5 quarterback in the league. He’s also only 25 years old and seemingly entering his prime.

Acquiring a building block like Watson would be an instant franchise-changer for the Jets, or any other interested team.

There’s no team out there better positioned than the New York Jets to put together a compelling trade package for Deshaun Watson.

veogk2Ap_normal.jpg

Daniel Jeremiah

@MoveTheSticks
If Watson became available via trade, the Jets should call. You could trade 2nd pick this year (they still have 23rd pick), 1st in 2022 (They have 2) & 1st in 2023. That’s 3 first round picks. They could pickup extra pick/picks if they traded Sam. (My gift to sports radio)

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

All depends on their ask.

Right now he is their problem so if they have to deal him the compensation must be reasonable if not a slight discount.

I'm all for exploring the cost and I'd love to have him as our QB but not if we are left with him and a few 3rd and 4th rounders for the next few years.

Three firsts woud be pretty fair. 2020, 2021, 2022 and we still would have legitimate draft capital to improve the receiving core and O-Line.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Eh, it depends on how much the Texans like Tua because 2 beats 3.

...And they would most likely prefer their guaranteed pick of Fields/Wilson to be their guy over castaway Tua. I know it's popular to mock us or Miami trading our castaway QB to them but I think they would prefer to just take their guy and not absorb a large salary.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont think the texans will want tua.  They will want picks.

And miami is a 10 win team.  If watson wants to win, then miami is a far better spot then the jets.  Its not close.

Ahh ok, you mean from Watson’s perspective - as in where would he accept  a trade to. 

I’d imagine he’d prefer Miami, but I could see him accepting a trade to the Jets. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ahh ok, you mean from Watson’s perspective - as in where would he accept  a trade to. 

I’d imagine he’d prefer Miami, but I could see him accepting a trade to the Jets. 

He made tweets in the past that show a liking towards us, and his agent was liking things that suggested we pursue him.

I think he'd come here.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

All depends on their ask.

Right now he is their problem so if they have to deal him the compensation must be reasonable if not a slight discount.

I'm all for exploring the cost and I'd love to have him as our QB but not if we are left with him and a few 3rd and 4th rounders for the next few years.

Don't see JD giving away more than 2 1st, Darnold and a 3rd rounder.  JD is NOT Macc.  And that's a lot for a guy who's forcing himself out.  There are only so many teams that could justifiably trade for Watson and give the Texans fair value.  Fields is there for the taking and has the same acumen as Watson when he came out.  And would cost you just the 2nd pick.  You take Fields, keep the picks, build the team around him.  JD has a better feel for talent than Macc.  This is no quick fix and will take a few years and JD must hit on the majority of his prime picks.  This team is far far far away from competing for a championship. The Texans. with Watson, didn't fare much better than we did this last year.  It wouldn't be much different this coming year for us with Watson or for a number of years. Our roster is crap and young and inexperienced.  Do people on here remember we just nearly went 0-16?  This is a REBUILD.  We'd probably get to 6-10 if lucky and linger around a .500 record for quite awhile. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

If the Texans trade Watson more people need to get fired.

This isn't 1989 anymore. Players that demand to get traded, get traded. Just look at the NBA or even look at the Jets with Jamal Adams. 

The Texans are in a horrible cap situation this coming year and have zero first round picks and have a pretty crappy roster. If they really like Fields or Wilson, it's not a horrible move for them to trade Watson and rebuild with another young QB. 

Meanwhile, for the Jets a trade also makes sense because, while they are also rebuilding, they have cap space to bring in players that seemingly want to play for Saleh and would most definitely want to play with Watson. The Jets can also afford to trade away 2 1st round picks (including #2 overall) AND still have a 1st round pick this year and next while most teams can't offer that. 

We should also realize that if we don't land Watson, there is a very real chance the Fish would and dealing with Watson and Allen the next 10 years would be rather annoying to say the least. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This isn't 1989 anymore. Players that demand to get traded, get traded. Just look at the NBA or even look at the Jets with Jamal Adams. 

The Texans are in a horrible cap situation this coming year and have zero first round picks and have a pretty crappy roster. If they really like Fields or Wilson, it's not a horrible move for them to trade Watson and rebuild with another young QB. 

This is still the NFL not the NBA and a Safety isn't in the same universe as a Franchise QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Dolphins are in a much better position then the jets to get watson.

i dont think so. we have 4 #1s in the next 2 years. Mia has 3. plus ours is higher.

if they do it with Mia and they get the 3 pick and we decide to draft a QB at 2 we could screw them if we take someone they want. 

and if we do it we still have a worst roster and no high draft picks to help. the FA money will take a serious hit with Watsons contract. there is a good chance Mia will be better than us and therefore the 2022 picks will be higher if they trade with us.

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Meanwhile, for the Jets a trade also makes sense because, while they are also rebuilding, they have cap space to bring in players that seemingly want to play for Saleh and would most definitely want to play with Watson. The Jets can also afford to trade away 2 1st round picks (including #2 overall) AND still have a 1st round pick this year and next while most teams can't offer that. 

We should also realize that if we don't land Watson, there is a very real chance the Fish would and dealing with Watson and Allen the next 10 years would be rather annoying to say the least. 

Watsons contract is big. we will has alot less money for FA.

and there is no way we keep any of our 1st rd picks the next 2 years. hell maybe even 3 yrs Watson  is 25  and great. we will give up a kings ransom for him

you need to look at his numbers again.

70% comp 4823 yds 33 TD 7 INT on a 4 win team.

this trade if it happens will be bigger than the Hershel Walker trade. 

26 minutes ago, doitny said:

Watsons contract is big. we will has alot less money for FA.

and there is no way we keep any of our 1st rd picks the next 2 years. hell maybe even 3 yrs Watson  is 25  and great. we will give up a kings ransom for him

you need to look at his numbers again.

70% comp 4823 yds 33 TD 7 INT on a 4 win team.

this trade if it happens will be bigger than the Hershel Walker trade. 

It's not like there is anyone else on the team that needs to be paid a second contract. Marcus Maye might get paid but the other building blocks on the team are on their rookie contracts. Adding Watson to the team immediately makes the Jets attractive to other free agents. I have consistently said that Robinson won't sign with the Jets because he wants to go to a contender after spending his career on struggling teams. Adding Watson to the team means that the Jets could offer Robinson the best quarterback he has ever played with, while Watson gets to throw to a wide receiver who would be the second best wide receiver he has thrown to, behind Nuk.

We fleeced the Seahawks for Adams and we have the ammunition to add a bona fide franchise quarterback instead of rolling the dice on the lightbulb switching on for Darnold or a rookie quarterback not named Trevor Lawrence.

If Watson has a no trade clause, then he can veto a trade to a team that might offer Texans more than Douglas' best offer which tilts the playing field in favour of the Jets.

Look, it does strip the Jets of a few first round picks but the Jets have four first round picks for the next two years. Adding Watson, other free agents and some well chosen rookies catapults this team into contention in the East and means that we don't have to deal with Allen and Watson for the next 10 years.

Douglas should be kicking the tyres in a trade, especially as he just hired a head coach that Watson was keen to see get an interview in Houston

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1