Adam Schefter: 1 Team In Best Position For Deshaun Watson Trade

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jamal Adams and more (in the form of our own 2021 1st and 2022 1st, not Seattle's lower picks) + 2018 1st and 3x 2nd Round Picks and three seasons of poor play (Darnold sunk cost) + 3 years of not having Watson play QB for us + our 2023 1st.

All for a QB some of us knew we should have just drafted instead of Jamal Adams in the first place.

Yeah, I get it, today, ignoring the past, the deal may look ok.

But knowing the past, it's painful.  Sorry, but it is.  This is a guy that should have cost us one 1st round pick, #6 in 2017.

Now we might get him, four seasons later, for three #1 picks, including pick #2 in 2021.

Again, I get it, Watson is a top 5 QB, a legit franchise QB.  But man, could we ever just draft the right guy when it comes to QB's?

The odds of any team drafting the right guy at QB are much less than just aqcuiring a proven elite QB who is 25.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All depends on their ask. Right now he is their problem so if they have to deal him the compensation must be reasonable if not a slight discount. I'm all for exploring the cost and I'd love

They are not.

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Exactly.  Douglas wants to draft his team and build long term success, not mccagnan it and limit his window and cap flexibility.  If mccagnan were still the gm I’d be worried, but then again he would have signed adams to a mega deal and they wouldn’t have the extra picks to even consider such a deal. 

We have 100 million in cap. We have been built for long term success, even with Watson you still have plenty of money to upgrade the roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Ruby2 said:

KRL your the man but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with most of this. Tannenbaum traded away resources and picks when he didn't really have any excess amounts of them, to then be further up against the cap and have to play crazy games.

We have the picks, we have the cap. Its a very different situation. Douglas's has already played the long term game, trading Adams, moving back in the draft last year, freeing up more cap. Now its time to cash those chips in.

And, lets also not get to revisionist in the Texans history. Sure they sucked this year, but they have been a perennial contender and playoff team since Watson has arrived. Hell, if it wasn't for that weird chinned fat slob they've had as coach and overall maniacal gm, they could have advanced even further.

Y'all are really overthinking this. We don't want to over pay but we shouldn't have to, Texans have little leverage herr. Sam, this years 2, next years one, and you can even throw in another 2ndor 3rd rounder. Thats fair all things considered. 

Jets fans are so battered and abused, just let this happen, its good.

It makes way too much sense for the Jets, BUT it’s not up to the Jets, it’s up to Deshaun. 

• Upvote 2
37 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Using DJ mock trade for example. How are your draft picks gone you still would have 1st every single year but one? Jets have 2 1st in next 2 drafts that absolutely can get creative with a deal.

Cap space wouldnt be gone where on verge of having a 100 million with nobody to pay as usual. His 40 million will leave you with more than decent amount cap left . Not to mention the trade would force Houston to pay most if not all his bonus money. 

The idea that acquiring Watson wouldn't allow you to build a team is ridiculous. 

This needs to be stickied on the homepage lol

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Deshaun is not waiving his no trade clause to come to the Jets, never going to happen.  Please don’t get your hopes up, you’ll only be disappointed.   

Where do you think he wants to go?

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Deshaun is not waiving his no trade clause to come to the Jets, never going to happen.  Please don’t get your hopes up, you’ll only be disappointed.   

Large TV market, rabid fan base,  Saleh & Lefleur. Large advertising possibilities, jersey sales & 2 coaches that he may be good with

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s more likely: 

A. Sam Darnold or Justin Fields or Pasty BYU Gimp become comparable QBs to Deshaun Watson

-or-

B. Watson is good enough that the net return on the deal favors the Jets, with Watson being better than Darnold/Fields/Paste, the #23, and next year’s 15th(?) overall. 

If I’m Douglas and Saleh and LaFleur, I know which bet I’m taking. 

Not arguing the logic, was just responding to the point that for once, why can't we pick the right guy?

We do eventually need some talent.  We have none.

We'll go from the best draft resources and cap space in the NFL...to one of the worst on both fronts.

We will have our QB - but with this roster it's still a 6 win team with good QB play.

If they can get him for the 2 and maybe Seattles pick next year...then you can do it..but anything more than that would be tough to be competitive.  

• Like 1

Where do you think he wants to go?

He wants Miami or San Francisco.  San Francisco probably does t have the resources to get it done.   Ultimately I think the Texans hire Bienemy and all this trade stuff goes away.  

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He wants Miami or San Francisco.  San Francisco probably does t have the resources to get it done.   Ultimately I think the Texans hire Bienemy and all this trade stuff goes away.  

Interesting, thanks for the insight. Sadly you are always right when it comes to Clemson related activities 😕

But just to play devils advocate, the reported Watson quote of McNair firing himself seemed to be pretty damning. Maybe Biennamy could smooth that over, but seems like it would take quite a reconciliation process. 

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Same here.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s more likely: 

A. Sam Darnold or Justin Fields or Pasty BYU Gimp become comparable QBs to Deshaun Watson

-or-

B. Watson is good enough that the net return on the deal favors the Jets, with Watson being better than Darnold/Fields/Paste, the #23, and next year’s 15th(?) overall. 

If I’m Douglas and Saleh and LaFleur, I know which bet I’m taking. 

Agree. The proven player is always superior to the draft pick until proven otherwise, & when you have a 25 year old talent who had proven already that he can win divisions, play at a high level in big playoff games and is actually attainable, it’s like your looking at shares of Amazon in the face 10 years ago.  Seemed expensive. Knew it was a winner. You hold your nose and you buy. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Large TV market, rabid fan base,  Saleh & Lefleur. Large advertising possibilities, jersey sales & 2 coaches that he may be good with

Players don’t care about large TV markets, or the fan base.  They want to get paid and win games.  Also, the fallacy of advertising opportunities and the such has been debunked years ago.  He’ll have his Gatorade deal if he played football on the moon.  A free Toyota from Joe’s Toyota World in East Rutherford isn’t an incentive.  

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, tfine said:

Watson has a no trade clause. He can’t be traded unless he picks the team he’s traded to. It won’t be the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't believe that. These guys in the know would not have been bringing up the likelihood that we could be in contention. And Saleh was one of his preferred coaches. 

3 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Interesting, thanks for the insight. Sadly you are always right when it comes to Clemson related activities 😕

But just to play devils advocate, the reported Watson quote of McNair firing himself seemed to be pretty damning. Maybe Biennamy could smooth that over, but seems like it would take quite a reconciliation process. 

Things could go off the rails even more in the coming weeks.  If they don’t hire Bienemy then I think he’ll force his way out.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Things could go off the rails even more in the coming weeks.  If they don’t hire Bienemy then I think he’ll force his way out.  

Daboll seems like a guy who would appreciate Texas Barbecque. God please make it happen,

12 minutes ago, tfine said:

Watson has a no trade clause. He can’t be traded unless he picks the team he’s traded to. It won’t be the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It works hand in hand cause the texans still have to be happy with the compensation thx to new cba the holdout threat doesn't hold water anymore watson would just lose millions. Agents know this which is probably why the jets are being pushed out there cause there one of few teams that can make legit 3 1st rd pick offer . Rap added the panthers to mix as well this morning. 

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This. The Jags also could offer more than the Jets. 

If the Jaguars like Watson, then this is so ridiculously easy:   Jags give the #1 to Houston for Watson + maybe another pick/player.  Done.  Houston drafts Trevor. 

I’m sorry but no way in hell would I trade 3 1st round picks with one of these picks being the #2 pick this year. The Texans are trying to get a do over for a situation not working out with a great player and shift that giant contract to another team. The Jets can guarantee they get a new top rated rookie QB at 2 and take the contract off their hands.

The #2 pick alone should be enough when you factor in that Watson is already being paid like a top QB. The Texans do not have as much leverage as people think with this and the #2 pick would be a great trade for all parties. The Jets should trade the #2 for salary efficiency as well. The rookie contract for a #2 pick is significant and not having to pay that would help absorb the impact of Watson’s contract. 

44 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Using DJ mock trade for example. How are your draft picks gone you still would have 1st every single year but one? Jets have 2 1st in next 2 drafts that absolutely can get creative with a deal.

Cap space wouldnt be gone where on verge of having a 100 million with nobody to pay as usual. His 40 million will leave you with more than decent amount cap left . Not to mention the trade would force Houston to pay most if not all his bonus money. 

The idea that acquiring Watson wouldn't allow you to build a team is ridiculous. 

No no no...but because it’s NOT THE RIGHT WAY!!! Cause there’s ONLY one way to build a winning franchise.

NE, KC, PHI, SF, LAR, ATL, DEN, CAR...

The last 6 years Super Bowl participants ALL DID IT THE SAME WAY!

They all had QBs on their rookie contract and built thru the draft!

• Haha 1

Daboll seems like a guy who would appreciate Texas Barbecque. God please make it happen,

I’m not sure how Deshaun would feel about Daboll, I thought Daboll would go to the Chargers but looks like they didn’t want to wait any longer.   Only the Eagles and Texans jobs are still open.  Daboll to Philly and Bienemy to Houston?  Maybe 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m not sure how Deshaun would feel about Daboll, I thought Daboll would go to the Chargers but looks like they didn’t want to wait any longer.   Only the Eagles and Texans jobs are still open.  Daboll to Philly and Bienemy to Houston?  Maybe 

Yeah seemed like everyone was saying chargers for him. IDK, people seem to think no way he doesn't take a job considering how your moment can come and go so quickly, but I am getting the feeling Daboll could end up just staying at Buffalo. Houston and whatever the hell is happening in Philly just seem like toxic places right now.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If the Jaguars like Watson, then this is so ridiculously easy:   Jags give the #1 to Houston for Watson + maybe another pick/player.  Done.  Houston drafts Trevor. 

And Urban Meyer quits.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Have you seen the list of people they want to speak with? Some interesting guys.

i don't get all the enthusiasm for trading to get watson.  watson is a good qb but the jets are a team with quite a few key needs so using draft capital to land this guy just isn't worth it.  plus if you consider all of the picks that were given up for darnold plus the ones that would be needed to land watson and you see way too much invested in the qb position.  and while the picks for darnold are water under the bridge it just shows how they could have fielded a pretty respectable team if they retained those picks and used them for other positions (or even the qb position. remember had they retained the 5 pick in 2016 they had the choice of allen or jackson).

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wait till it gets out that we passed because Texans wanted Morgan instead of Sam.😎

If the rumors were true that Pats were looking to take him last year Cisserio may want him included. I’ll drive Morgan to the airport 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TnT said:

No no no...but because it’s NOT THE RIGHT WAY!!! Cause there’s ONLY one way to build a winning franchise.

NE, KC, PHI, SF, LAR, ATL, DEN, CAR...

The last 6 years Super Bowl participants ALL DID IT THE SAME WAY!

They all had QBs on their rookie contract and built thru the draft!

NE - not a rookie deal qb

KC - ok, thats one

Phi - Kinda? WEntz was hurt

SF - Nope

LAR - 2.5

Den - wth no lmao ( maybe you meant seattle?) either way, not part of last 6

Car - Not part of last 6

• Haha 2