Jump to content

This should be it with the #2 pick: Watson, Sewell or trading down


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade Down .. take wilson at 4-5 Watson and his mega contract can go elsewhere thank you. Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

We are not a Deshaun Watson away from having an elite team... Enough said.

Let's just simplify things people. We know that Justin Fields (doesn't fit the profile) and Zach Wilson (fits the WCO but with health and size issues) are question marks. Darnold's tenure has being fi

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Trade Down .. take wilson at 4-5

Watson and his mega contract can go elsewhere thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Any elite QB demands that type of money. This is the most important position on the team. Unless you want to continue yelling at the TV on Sundays, we better address the QB position with the most reliable person, Watson

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL teams have draft picks and money to acquire players.   
Trades that require both almost never work out.   Seattle overpaid for Adams, but he was was still on some rookie contract. Paying multiple 1s for Watson and his contract makes no sense.  We can sign Prescott and keep the draft picks. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Any elite QB demands that type of money. This is the most important position on the team. Unless you want to continue yelling at the TV on Sundays, we better address the QB position with the most reliable person, Watson
 
I'm not willing to cripple the roster for one guy that has been less than stellar in the playoffs.

https://fansided.com/2020/01/04/deshaun-watson-playoff-performances-stats/

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very much depends on the Jets evals on the QBs available in draft and JD’s thoughts on how the draft will play out. If he doesn’t believe in Fields/Wilson/whomever of course he shouldn’t take a QB just to take one. One thing he must do in any scenario is have a QB plan. It cannot be Sam Darnold as unquestioned starter with no legitimate competition/backup plan. We can’t waste another year of Mims/other pass catcher development if Sam remains the same guy he has been. Even his most ardent defenders have to admit there is a chance (we can certainly debate the likelihood) that despite new coaches/support cast he does not make a significant leap. He has now been bad over 3 OCs and 2 HCs and was outplayed by Flaccostein, who everyone agrees is no great shakes at this stage of his career.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, this is getting to be too much. Do you honestly believe Watson is going to be traded? Yes, there have been trades of talented QB's in the past but that was when the other team was presented with another option at the position.  Can someone tell me what option the Texans have other than keeping Watson? So Watson is angry, Shefter thinks he has taken his last snap. He is angry about the Hopkins trade which btw did not exactly put Arizona over the top and he is angry about that he was not consulted on the GM hiring. He is a 25 year diva QB. This is what we want? We want him to bring that act here along with his 150 million contract as well as possibly  all of our high draft picks for the next year or so? Any negotiation  starts with the #2 pick and goes up from there. I honestly would rather take Fields if we have to use the second pick on a QB but I do not believe the Texans are going to trade Watson just because he is pissed off. He has been paid very well to play QB on that team. If I was the owner, I would be thinking the same thing. Take your money and stay in your lane. 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

We are not a Deshaun Watson away from having an elite team... Enough said.

We would still have draft picks and can sign free agents to build around him.  We need a QB and he is already one of the best so it's a no brainer to try and get him 

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

We are not a Deshaun Watson away from having an elite team... Enough said.

Not this year no, but if JD builds around him we can in a few years. We could theoretically have Deshaun for 15 more years if things works out and he stays healthy 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Very much depends on the Jets evals on the QBs available in draft and JD’s thoughts on how the draft will play out. If he doesn’t believe in Fields/Wilson/whomever of course he shouldn’t take a QB just to take one. One thing he must do in any scenario is have a QB plan. It cannot be Sam Darnold as unquestioned starter with no legitimate competition/backup plan. We can’t waste another year of Mims/other pass catcher development if Sam remains the same guy he has been. Even his most ardent defenders have to admit there is a chance (we can certainly debate the likelihood) that despite new coaches/support cast he does not make a significant leap. He has now been bad over 3 OCs and 2 HCs and was outplayed by Flaccostein, who everyone agrees is no great shakes at this stage of his career.

It cracks me up when people say things like hebhas been bad 3 OC's and 2 HC's. Like Bowels and Gase really helped him. Gase actually made Bowels look good. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I honestly would rather take Fields

He is not fit for the WCO (spread zone and play action). Wilson is a better fit, but I'm concerned about his durability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jbt said:

We would still have draft picks and can sign free agents to build around him.  We need a QB and he is already one of the best so it's a no brainer to try and get him 

Houston will want more than our #2, and for that reason alone it's a no brainer to walk away...

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

If you anything about Deshaun, this dude is a class act and hasn't ever caused any issues, and nobody has ever had a bad thing to say about the guy. Hes got respect from all his teammates and opponents alike. This is more of a Texans problem, theyre clearly an inept organization and have hit a nerve with Deshaun. Even Andre Johnson who I didnt even know was capable of speech, came out and slammed the Texans. Dont start labeling Deshaun as a malcontent now, hes not going to come to the Jets and cause issues, get serious

Sorry, you need to call them as you see them. A QB does not make trade decisions  and does not make decisions  on GM hiring. Do you want your QB signing off on trades? You can't  say this guy doesn't  feel entitled.  It isn't  like they traded Hopkins and replaced him with Chris Hogan. They replaced him with Cooks. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He is not fit for the WCO (spread zone and play action). Wilson is a better fit, but I'm concerned about his durability.

Let me ask you this. If the Jets were drafting TL and we hired a guy that was going to install an O that wasn't  a perfect fit for Lawrence,  do you not draft Lawrence or do you install an O he can play in? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me ask you this. If the Jets were drafting TL and we hired a guy that was going to install an O that wasn't  a perfect fit for Lawrence,  do you not draft Lawrence or do you install an O he can play in? 

I just don't see Wilson being an elite QB. On the other hand, Watson is an elite QB.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Taking Sewell is laughable and will never happen 

Really? Dallas Cowboys are a prime example. Their OL was premier in the league during Tony Romo's tenure. It slowly decimate to a sorry line and we know the results. If we could anchor this line it would immediately impact our game. Sewell is one of the highest rated OL in years. I would be ecstatic if he was drafted at #2. Not a sexy pic, but one that would rip benefits for years to come.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bronx said:

Really? Dallas Cowboys are a prime example. Their OL was premier in the leage during Tony Romo's tenure. It slowly decimate to a sorry line and we know the results. If we could anchor this line it would immediately impact our game. Sewell is one of the highest rated OL in years. I would be ecstatic if he was drafted at #2. Not a sexy pic, but one that would rip benefits for years to come.

 

We already have an elite potential LT

we can trade down, acquire at least an extra 2nd this year and 1st next year. You can draft 3 O line with those picks which will have a much bigger impact than Sewell. Or you can take Smith/Chase/Pitts and two Oline with the picks, also much bigger impact. Taking Sewell at 2 is throwing this teams future away 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

If you know anything about Deshaun, this dude is a class act and hasn't ever caused any issues, and nobody has ever had a bad thing to say about the guy. Hes got respect from all his teammates and opponents alike. This is more of a Texans problem, theyre clearly an inept organization and have hit a nerve with Deshaun. Even Andre Johnson who I didnt even know was capable of speech, came out and slammed the Texans. Dont start labeling Deshaun as a malcontent now, hes not going to come to the Jets and cause issues, get serious

Two things can be true here. 

The Texans can be poorly run AND Watson could have become a malcontent. Saying he isnt going to cause issues if he comes here is wishful thinking at best, he is literally as we speak, causing issues on his current team because something didnt go his way (justified or not justified, this is reality). 

While I would love to have Watson the player on the field for us, I dont want Watson the personality as it seems to be evolving into borderline entitlement. While the motivations are different, what he is doing is a perfect 1 to 1 of what Jamal Adams JUST put us through last year. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Joe Douglas can get Deshaun Watson, JD will get Deshaun Watson! 

Jamal Adams + ? for Deshaun Watson! 

Start molding JDs bronze statue for Florham Park Jets facility.

Can you imagine an off season hiring Robert Saleh & trading for Deshaun Watson? Then signing Allen Robinson as his binkie? 

Oh, and still having our #23 and a 1st next year? 

This trade is a NO BRAINER if possible. And when you really think about it, if Watson relationship is broken, it's best for Houston to go immediately inoto rebuild mode with picks they acquire that they don't have and the cap relief to rebuild with a new GM? What's the worst that can happen? They go 4-12? 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bronx said:

How did that work out for them?

Cooks had some big games and some others where he wasn't  targeted. Near the end of the season Cooks was getting more consistent  looks. I woukd say that Watson not going his way more than Cooks not working out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

We are not a Deshaun Watson away from having an elite team... Enough said.

Does that mean we shouldn't try?  We're not any one play or 10 players from an elite team.

The single most important piece to becoming a "elite team" is and elite QB.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It cracks me up when people say things like hebhas been bad 3 OC's and 2 HC's. Like Bowels and Gase really helped him. Gase actually made Bowels look good. 

I don't understand your point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Larz said:

No way is Watson worth the #2 pick. 
 

im not sold on Wilson there at all either 

for these 3 options I vote trade down and get a WR

So Sam can have another playmaker he wont throw too. Sounds like a great plan. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Two things can be true here. 

The Texans can be poorly run AND Watson could have become a malcontent. Saying he isnt going to cause issues if he comes here is wishful thinking at best, he is literally as we speak, causing issues on his current team because something didnt go his way (justified or not justified, this is reality). 

While I would love to have Watson the player on the field for us, I dont want Watson the personality as it seems to be evolving into borderline entitlement. While the motivations are different, what he is doing is a perfect 1 to 1 of what Jamal Adams JUST put us through last year. 

This, absolutely has to be taken into consideration.  We really don't know what went on there and who's wrong or right...

But things are certain to go wrong on any team and there will be plenty of times when our QB will not agree with what the front office and ownership do.  That is just a fact.

is this a unique situation or is this what we'll have to expect from him? 

Will all decisions have to be approved by our 25 year old QB? Which ones will he determine he needs to be a part of?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...