This should be it with the #2 pick: Watson, Sewell or trading down

Bronx

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hogan was cut as soon as Crowder came back. The only reason he was on an NFL roster was because of injury.. Barrios went from #2 to 4 where he belongs. These are not supposed to be the #1 and 2 options on an NFL team. 

No they are not, but teams especially during the salary cap era often need to play guys who normally are 4th/5th or 6th receivers normally. Again prime example is Chad Hansen with the Texans 

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

With so many unknowns, the only two players I would spend the #2 pick are on Watson or Sewell. We either get an elite QB or anchor the line and support for Darnold. 

There should not really be another plan with the #2 besides trading down. Trading down could fill many holes.

Here's my pipe dream:

the jets trade down from #2 and get two first-round picks or one 1st-round and one early second-round pick. With that, we take:

• a RT (with the first pick)
  • an Edge (with that pick we got for Jamal)
  • a DE (there's good value here)

Trading the #2 and the Seattle picks for Watson is as big of a no-brainer as selecting Lawrence at #1. We would all be hoping & praying that Lawrence turns into Watson at the pro level, why not get the real thing. The cap implications are a wash when you consider that Darnold is due a 25M 5th year option and potential extension, and considering his lack of production--its absurd. Obviously it will hurt to hand over the draft capital when the team has several needs but the value of a true Franchise QB cannot be overstated. It turns mediocre teams into good teams in a hurry

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

No they are not, but teams especially during the salary cap era often need to play guys who normally are 4th/5th or 6th receivers normally. Again prime example is Chad Hansen with the Texans 

Right, Chad filled a spot but he wasn't  the primary  option. Both of these players were. 

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Here's my pipe dream:

the jets trade down from #2 and get two first-round picks or one 1st-round and one early second-round pick. With that, we take:

• a RT (with the first pick)
  • an Edge (with that pick we got for Jamal)
  • a DE (there's good value here)

So someone is going to cough up two first rounders for Justin Fields but we shouldn't trade two first rounders for Watson.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This team is in desperate need of playmakers.

If the Jets are actually going to stick with Sam Darnold they need to trade out of pick 2, get more draft capital, and ideally target someone like Ja'Marr Chase or Devonta Smith.

He needs to fix this ASAP!

darnold-int-vs-ne-bad-feet.gif

darnold-int-jags-wk-8-arm-throw.gif

11 hours ago, Cp561 said:

Draft one....? We did that in 2017 how has that worked out. Watson is already a proven commodity at 25, a few years older than Wilson/Fields

I for one have no issue with trading for Watson....but some of the supposed 'asks' or proposals of multiple firsts, seconds etc are ridiculous in light of his present contract...which if I was trading for him would significantly lessen what I was willing to offer.

few trades 'work' when you're giving up both significant DP's as well as significant cap space...for one guy (no matter how great he may be).

If someone else wants to give up multiple first/seconds and take on his contract, let them have him.

3 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

few trades 'work' when you're giving up both significant DP's as well as significant cap space...for one guy (no matter how great he may be).

If someone else wants to give up multiple first/seconds and take on his contract, let them have him.

I do not understand this sentiment.  We give up 2 or 3 firsts, still have 1st rounders from Jamal, and we have an elite QB.  Still have cap room for extra spending.  Worst thing that happens is Watson is playing on a bad team ~ no worse than Houston, but we have a competent offense.  But we still have draft picks to improve roster.

Otherwise we (potentially) do what we've done the past 50 years.  Draft a rookie qb too high and watch him most likely struggle.  Or draft down, HOPEFULLY draft multiple starters to fill holes, and proceed with bad qb play.  How can you possibly not be tired of this cycle?  There's probably a 5% chance of it happening, but if it does Watson immediately becomes the greatest qb in Jets history.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I do not understand this sentiment.  We give up 2 or 3 firsts, still have 1st rounders from Jamal, and we have an elite QB.  Still have cap room for extra spending.  Worst thing that happens is Watson is playing on a bad team ~ no worse than Houston, but we have a competent offense.  But we still have draft picks to improve roster.

Otherwise we (potentially) do what we've done the past 50 years.  Draft a rookie qb too high and watch him most likely struggle.  Or draft down, HOPEFULLY draft multiple starters to fill holes, and proceed with bad qb play.  How can you possibly not be tired of this cycle?  There's probably a 5% chance of it happening, but if it does Watson immediately becomes the greatest qb in Jets history.

I know this is not your regular account forehead, but good post.

14 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me ask you this. If the Jets were drafting TL and we hired a guy that was going to install an O that wasn't  a perfect fit for Lawrence,  do you not draft Lawrence or do you install an O he can play in? 

You tailor an offense for the QB. Gase had an offense and didnt tailor it to Darnold. Put Lamar in Gase's offense and he will suck even more.

i love these guys who think 2 or 3 first rd picks will do it. what about the 2nd rd picks that we have to include.

Watson is young and great at the most important position in the NFL. he will demand a Herschel Walker type trade. 

there is going to be like 20 teams calling to trade for Watson. there is going to be a bidding war.

the Walker trade was 

3- 1st rd picks

3- 2nd rd picks

and 4 decent players. its going to take this and more for Watson. stop kidding yourselfs. 

oh thats right, Watson is going to demand to be traded here. yeah cause we are such a well run franchise. we have a stocked roster and Watson brings us to the SB next yr. trust me there will be better teams than us with better rosters that will be making trade offers for him. and he has a no-trade clause so he has to approve any trade. 

doesnt matter anyway. Houston just interviewed EB. they hire either him or Leslie Frazer. yeah i think Watson pushing for a black HC. if not EB its Frazer. 

1 hour ago, funaz said:

What do you think qbs are supposed to be paid? You hope the qb you draft is going to be paid 40 mil a year

Exactly.  If Darnold had been the goods, we'd all be fine with paying him $35M+ per year right now.  

Yet people want to scoff at the idea of acquiring a top 5 QB at age 25 just because he already has his well-earned contract.  Makes absolutely no sense.  The Jets have more than enough cap space to absorb this, AND hand him a WR1 in free agency.  A WR1 who would be far more willing to come here with Watson on the roster than he would otherwise....

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, varjet said:

NFL teams have draft picks and money to acquire players.   
Trades that require both almost never work out.   Seattle overpaid for Adams, but he was was still on some rookie contract. Paying multiple 1s for Watson and his contract makes no sense.  We can sign Prescott and keep the draft picks. 

Prescott is coming off a major injury and isn’t as good as Watson 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, funaz said:

What do you think qbs are supposed to be paid? You hope the qb you draft is going to be paid 40 mil a year

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

THe problem is you cannot pay the QB while your building the freaking roster .. its team buildign 101. You draft a talented young QB to grow while you build the roster. Otherwise you end up in Free Agency hell. Watson's mega deal is a complete farce given his playoff results. I guess the question is whether you believe he will excell with our team the way its contructed now.

Edited by Dunnie

THe problem is you cannot pay the QB while your building the freaking roster .. its team buildign 101. You draft a talented young QB to grow while you build the roster. Otherwise you end up in Free Agency hell. Watson's mega deal is a complete farce given his playoff results. I guess the question is whether you believe he will excell with our team the way its contructed now.

Sure you can. Several teams have proven you can. Packers with Rodgers and the Seahawks with Wilson, to name 2.

And it’s simply the reality of the NFL as it’s constructed that you simultaneously must have a QB to compete for titles and also have to pay them astronomically a few years after finding one in the draft. If it’s not Watson we acquire, the Jets will eventually need to find a QB worth paying like Watson is.

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

So by your logic, had Sam panned out into a superstar QB despite the lack of talent around him, we would now want to trade him away to avoid giving him a huge contract because we have a poor roster.  That's Bill O'Brien levels of genius.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Icer said:

Trading the #2 and the Seattle picks for Watson is as big of a no-brainer as selecting Lawrence at #1. We would all be hoping & praying that Lawrence turns into Watson at the pro level, why not get the real thing. The cap implications are a wash when you consider that Darnold is due a 25M 5th year option and potential extension, and considering his lack of production--its absurd. Obviously it will hurt to hand over the draft capital when the team has several needs but the value of a true Franchise QB cannot be overstated. It turns mediocre teams into good teams in a hurry

How do you explain Houstons record.

And the Chargers

And the Lions

And the Falcons

Even Minnesota

Look at a team like the Bills, Allen took a big step and is in that category but the Bills have added a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

You need to look into Watson for sure, I agree with your assessment that he is proven vs a maybe.  But if you do not build the team as well you are not going to be successful.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And the Chargers

And the Lions

And the Falcons

Even Minnesota

Look at a team like the Bills, Allen took a big step and is in that category but the Bills have added a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

You need to look into Watson for sure, I agree with your assessment that he is proven vs a maybe.  But if you do not build the team as well you are not going to be successful.

Even after trading for Watson and his contract, Jets would have roughly a normal draft slate — some of which would be need to be expended anyway on a QB either this draft, or next — and the #5 or #6 most cap space in the league. This is not an either/or proposition.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And the Chargers

And the Lions

And the Falcons

Even Minnesota

Houston is a year removed from 12-4 before they imploded. How many games did the Chargers lose by one score? The other teams don't have an elite FQB anymore (or ever for MIN). Look at how many seasons Aaron Rodgers put the team on his back and took the Packers to the playoffs with Jets-like rosters around him. 

The opposite example is true as well, look at teams who lost their FQB like the Cowboys this year. The Bucs couldn't sniff the playoffs with Jameis and now they are in the NFC title game. The value of a real FQB can't be overstated, it is everything

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You're seriously still beating this drum when its been explained to you numerous times?  The 2020 Texans scored MORE POINTS than the 2019 Texans, who won the division and had DeAndre Hopkins on the roster. 

If you want an explanation for the Texans going 4-12, the answer is it had absolutely nothing to do with Deshaun Watson, and everything to do with the team allowing an average of 29 points per game.  Watson was the only good thing on the team this past season.  

Now please ensure this will be your last post about the Texans' W-L record, lest you embarrass yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're seriously still beating this drum when its been explained to you numerous times?  The 2020 Texans scored MORE POINTS than the 2019 Texans, who won the division and had DeAndre Hopkins on the roster. 

If you want an explanation for the Texans going 4-12, the answer is it had absolutely nothing to do with Deshaun Watson, and everything to do with the team allowing an average of 29 points per game.  Watson was the only good thing on the team this past season.  

Now please ensure this will be your last post about the Texans' W-L record, lest you embarrass yourself.

I'm beating the drum to "Getting watson makes you and instant contender!' mantra when CLEARLY that is not the case.

Also, do the Jets have Hopkins?  Will the Jets be able to get a hopkins with no high draft picks?

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm beating the drum to "Getting watson makes you and instant contender!' mantra when CLEARLY that is not the case.

Also, do the Jets have Hopkins?  Will the Jets be able to get a hopkins with no high draft picks?

Clearly it IS the case, because a terrible org like the Texans won back to back division titles with Watson under center.

No, we don't have Hopkins, and neither did the 2020 Texans.  Watson still did great.  The difference was the defense.  Our defense is better than Houston's, and we just hired an excellent coach whose defenses in San Francisco were terrific.

Know who we WILL get at WR?  One of these free agent WR's who will be clamoring to play here.  Watson + the 2nd most cap space is a great sell for a guy like Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin or Kenny Golladay.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Clearly it IS the case, because a terrible org like the Texans won back to back division titles with Watson under center.

No, we don't have Hopkins, and neither did the 2020 Texans.  Watson still did great.  The difference was the defense.  Our defense is better than Houston's, and we just hired an excellent coach whose defenses in San Francisco were terrific.

Know who we WILL get at WR?  One of these free agent WR's who will be clamoring to play here.  Watson + the 2nd most cap space is a great sell for a guy like Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin or Kenny Golladay.

It is ludacris to think otherwise.