Vacchiano details the Saleh hiring process

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Don't  we see this same talk with e ery new HC who is hired? We were even hearing how so many players on Miami thought Gase was a solid choice ?

No no. Nobody spoke about the Gase hire as a “good hire”. 

Bowles was looked at as a good choice. So yeah, it’s always a great outlook when they haven’t played any games yet. 

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So what WAS the right move on January 17th, 2021, as you see it?

We don’t know.  If we need to get into the minutia here, I like the hire, I suppose.  I’m glad they got their 1st choice.  You know my take already - if we improve the roster, he’ll succeed.  If not, he won’t.

But the need to call it a success today, before a single thing has happened, is silly and unnecessary.  As you see in Wocka’s response to me, Rex, Bowles, and Gase all had this article written about them.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

We don’t know.  If we need to get into the minutia here, I like the hire, I suppose.  I’m glad they got their 1st choice.  You know my take already - if we improve the roster, he’ll succeed.  If not, he won’t.

But the need to call it a success today, before a single thing has happened, is silly and unnecessary.  As you see in Wocka’s response to me, Rex, Bowles, and Gase all had this article written about them.

Rex was life though.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

@bitonti said the same thing.  "He didn't just go out for a smoke, you know".  

LOL  Some people are just so impulsive in their terribly wrong interpretation of events.  

If one carefully examines my posts there's not a single prediction I make that I wouldn't be happy to be wrong about 

I'm happy to eat crow on this 

There was a blurb the next day that said covid interview process was different. Live and learn. 

Saleh was a premium name on the list. I thought they'd hire Marvin Lewis 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Bowles was looked at as a good choice. So yeah, it’s always a great outlook when they haven’t played any games yet. 

After the Rex Ryan Three Ring Circus, most were looking for them to hire a grownup.

Bowles checked a lot of boxes. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

We don’t know.  If we need to get into the minutia here, I like the hire, I suppose. 

We only have today to judge. We all know we won’t know for sure till we start seeing results on the field. But we can still evaluate the decision using known facts to-date.

Thats the only point I was trying to make. And I’m glad you do like the hire. For better or worse we’ll find out, but he was seemingly the hottest guy on the market and is very well respected and regarded around the league. Outside a proven veteran SB winning coach, I think it’s the best we could hope for.

I woulda liked an offensive guy myself but such is life lol.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

After the Rex Ryan Three Ring Circus, most were looking for them to hire a grownup.

Bowles checked a lot of boxes. 

Bowles is NOT a bad coach!

However, he is a poor HC when he has the terrible level of assistant coaches he had on his staff as he did with the Jets

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Bowles is NOT a bad coach!

However, he is a poor HC when he has the terrible level of assistant coaches he had on his staff as he did with the Jets

Bowles was a terrible HC.

In-game - some of the worst decisions I've seen an HC make. Complete lack of awareness of situations. Slow to adjust (not Gase slow, but still bad)

Holding players accountable was something you thought you were getting with him, but he had several games where the team just quit on him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I was excited as hell about the Rex hire. Was meh on Bowles and suicidal on Gase. Feeling good about Saleh, tempered excitement, but I'm at the point now where I need to see actual results. Optimism here has been completely unfounded since 2011. 

Exactly the same.

I had a Rex signature before we even interviewed him. He was my guy. Definitely his appointment and opening PC were some of the best moments as a fan.

I’m not quite there with Salah but definitely rhe closest I’ve been since. I hated Bowles from the start and new that his lifeless demeanour would soon get tiresome. But everyone wanted the anti-Rex, and what a job he did.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We only have today to judge. We all know we won’t know for sure till we start seeing results on the field. But we can still evaluate the decision using known facts to-date.

The known facts to date are the same as they always are and the evaluation is the same as it always is. He's a defensive coordinator who's friends with the players and yells on the sidelines and has been passed over for a number of jobs. Outlook sunny and stupid.

3 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The known facts to date are the same as they always are and the evaluation is the same as it always is. He's a defensive coordinator who's friends with the players and yells on the sidelines and has been passed over for a number of jobs. 

Do you have a link for this? I remember it from last year in particular but can't find anything.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Do you have a link for this? I remember it from last year in particular but can't find anything.

Havent seen that, but Mccafee shutting down Dan "everyone is a hall of famer" Orlovsky 40 seconds in here on the Saleh hire was pretty funny.

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is just nice to see that cronyism didn't rule the day. Someone that is not afraid to be a little uncomfortable. 

I'm not sure it's oncomfortable to hire the best guy you interview. Particularly if there is chemistry. 

What it does show maybe is high standards, ie, he wasnt very immpressed with most of the guys he's worked with. How many people that you've worked with would you promote to run your entire operation if you owned a busines? I don't have any

5 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The known facts to date are the same as they always are and the evaluation is the same as it always is. He's a defensive coordinator who's friends with the players and yells on the sidelines and has been passed over for a number of jobs. Outlook sunny and stupid.

u saying we just hired skinny rex ? ?

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm not sure it's oncomfortable to hire the best guy you interview. Particularly if there is chemistry. 

What it does show maybe is high standards, ie, he wasnt very immpressed with most of the guys he's worked with. How many people that you've worked with would you promote to run your entire operation if you owned a busines? I don't have any

I absolutely agree and you are right,

Cronyism is rampant in the NFL, and it is refreshing to see someone break outside of his roots. It was why I was so afraid that Person may come to the Jets.

5 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

This seems like a pretty scientific approach.

Arians was interviewed last week on Sirius NFL and was asked about Bowles being a future HC.  He basically said that Bowles would be better with a better GM.  So that is where the blame is being laid.  

Bowles is a good man who I am sure learned alot.  Mac gave him terrible players that did not even fit his system.  A combination of Bowles and the Johnsons hired him a very week staff-when he had Chan and Mac hit on some FAs, the Jets won 10 games.  Bowles will likely be a HC again and do better.  Head to head, I would rather have Saleh.  

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

If one carefully examines my posts there's not a single prediction I make that I wouldn't be happy to be wrong about 

I'm happy to eat crow on this 

There was a blurb the next day that said covid interview process was different. Live and learn. 

Saleh was a premium name on the list. I thought they'd hire Marvin Lewis 

Nuance is lost on the Internet. Few predictions are made with 100% conviction. You assess the odds and then predict the most likely outcome. Sometimes it’s 51%, sometimes it’s 80%. Doesn’t mean you’re “wrong” if a less likely outcome occurs. Sometimes when you flip a coin you get three heads in a row.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, we as fans, really know nothing about Saleh other than to quote others. We formulate our opinions based on the level of trust you have for our GM. I trust Douglas. I think we finally hired a competent GM. So I have a positive opinion of the Saleh hire. Objectively speaking, we'll get a better idea of how good a HC Saleh is once the regular season begins....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thats the only point I was trying to make. And I’m glad you do like the hire. For better or worse we’ll find out, but he was seemingly the hottest guy on the market and is very well respected and regarded around the league. Outside a proven veteran SB winning coach, I think it’s the best we could hope for.

I woulda liked an offensive guy myself but such is life lol.

I completely understand what you're saying, but lets be realistic, most people aren't taking the measured approach of, "we only have today to judge."  The cart is miles away while the horse remains in the stable.  I guess I'm just a big believer in the idea that you don't actually have to have a take on everything.  I hope it works out too, and am very happy that they didn't get turned down by their top choices, and then try to sell us on Tier B.  I remember 2+ years ago, posting something along the lines of "This entire prolonged coaching search feels like a way to pacify the fans before hiring the guy that the Dolphins just fired."  Not a week later.......

• Upvote 1