Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s

jgb

Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I remember assuming he was popular among our fans when I signed up. I loved the guy.

It was a rude awakening.

@Barton vs @ECURB was serious craic. 

hahaha I remember that battle.

Looking back, I have to give Chad more credit. You can win a SB with a guy like that. Just needs better coaching and playmakers around him. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

The thing with Chad is that he was so promising that first year...

Going into that Raider game probably the most hyped I can remember being about the future of the team. 

And then the Snoopy bowl injury...

The Snoopy Bowl injury was to his hand/wrist. He came back fine from that.  The injury that changed Pennington's career came in 2004 when he hurt his shoulder on a run vs the Bills.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Snoopy Bowl injury was to his hand/wrist. He came back fine from that.  The injury that changed Pennington's career came in 2004 when he hurt his shoulder on a run vs the Bills.  

Yep. But it was just the loss of momentum. I remember being so pumped watching that run against the Bills too and thinking 'what a leader' and then...oh no. That was dumb.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Anyone who says it wasn't Pennington wasn't on the internet at that time. There was no Twitter, there was no Facebook, the Pennington forum debates were like NOTHING that has happened since. Not Rex Ryan, not Brett Favre of Mark Sanchez, No Idzik or Macc.

In 2002 Tom Brady threw 28 TDs and 14 INTs.  Chad Pennington threw 22 TDs and 6 INTs with a higher rating.

The ceiling in many peoples minds for pre-injury Chad was that he was going to be a Hall of Famer.

How heated did it get over Chad Pennington?  His sister signed up here with her real work email address so she could private message people for blasting Chad.  I messaged her privately suggesting she hide her identity but let's just say she was pissed at the criticism Chad received here.

There is no 2nd place in this category.

The pre social media point is a good one. We just accept a world now where every chucklehead has a loud and obnoxious opinion about everything and everyone. In early-2000’s I can understand how athletes were like “who is this JetsRock894 and why does he believe that I am a pansy-assed suck turd?”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

The pre social media point is a good one. We just accept a world now where every chucklehead has a loud and obnoxious opinion about everything and everyone. In early-2000’s I can understand how athletes were like “who is this JetsRock894 and why does he believed thet I am a pansy-assed suck turd?”

We are coming up on 16 years here, it is easy to forget that we started to be an uncensored voice for Jets fans.  The other site was deleting posts if you were knocking Coles because he was using the board to get dates.  Different world back then and a huge reason why we avoid scoops and player contact. We don't owe anybody anything.

Another nameless board once did a fundraiser to get a plaque made for Chad when he got hurt. Think about that, he guys give me money so I can hand Chad a plaque saying get well soon. He will hang it right next to his Marshall Varsity letter I am sure.  That fundraiser really happened.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, jgb said:

Which Jets QB debate produced the strongest emotions/debate on both sides?

Which debate?

Pennington v Testaverde

Pennington v Clemmens

Pennington v Favre 

Of the three I think him taking over for Vinny was the one that divided the fanbase the most.

• Upvote 1

IMO, the issue with chaddy is he was the ultimate tease. When healthy, he was great but he was just about never healthy.  The thing too is chaddy made the team around him better.  The Sanchez teams won in spite of him. (Oh I know many will point to the playoff wins but those were also complete teams). As for the other guys, the book on fitzy was well known and he turned out to be more of a horses as.  Geno came in being a horses as.