Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s

21 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Which debate?

Pennington v Testaverde

Pennington v Clemmens

Pennington v Favre 

Of the three I think him taking over for Vinny was the one that divided the fanbase the most.

The only controversy about taking over for Vinny was the amount of time it took to happen.  When he took over the team was really struggling early in 2002 so there weren't any issues with him taking over.

Chad's issue was health, when healthy he was really good but he was rarely healthy.  

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The only controversy about taking over for Vinny was the amount of time it took to happen.  When he took over the team was really struggling early in 2002 so there weren't any issues with him taking over.

Chad's issue was health, when healthy he was really good but he was rarely healthy.  

That's not accurate. Fan base loyalty to Vinny was strong. It only became less of an issue when they started winning. 

5 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

That's not accurate. Fan base loyalty to Vinny was strong. It only became less of an issue when they started winning. 

I disagree with you.  '98 Vinny never returned and fans wanted to move on. The big controversy was why was it taking Chad so long? Most fans didn't think Chad was good because of that and again when Chad took over the Jets were playing awful football(wasn't all on QB, they had a million injuries).  They were 1-3 when Chad started his first game and were outscored 102-13 in the 3 straight losses before his first start.  People were not upset he was starting at that moment.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Bad poll.

Geno and Fitz are the same argument. Not two separate arguments.

Lol there’s merit to that I was mostly thinking about his hardball negotiating and Macc caving to bring him back for another year

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Which debate?

Pennington v Testaverde

Pennington v Clemmens

Pennington v Favre 

Of the three I think him taking over for Vinny was the one that divided the fanbase the most.

Pennington vs his throwing arm. That was the only debate.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Him not being able to beat a decent defense wasn't only due to his arm strength, Max.  

Time to fire up the debate again!

Well now that the weekend/holiday is over, I'm suddenly finding far more motivation to engage in the same tirelessly endless "debate" over the wide variety of ways that the noodle was terrible, between the hours of 9 and 5.  What a weird coincidence, huh?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetswin said:

wut?

I have no recollection of that if you mean JI lol, had to be on the QT if so

Yep, tons of missing posts there. Not sure if it's simply a financial thing (paying to host a dead site with archives) or because they wanted to clean some of it up - but lots of posts missing.

ACM vs. Penningtologists was easily the most bloody war in Jets history. I distinctly remember the exact moment where I finally stopped apologizing for that duck throwing douche and switched over full blast to the ACM: the 05 Divisional round. Made the trek back home during my freshman year of undergrad to watch the game with my dad, uncle and younger brother. After Tongue picked off Big Ben for a pick-6 to put the Jets up, the steelers drive down the field and once again the Jets force a turnover. It was the beginning of Q4. The D was rolling and it was Big Ben's 1st or 2nd year in the league so he was still young. All Penny Boy Wonder needed to do was bleed the clock and pick up a few first downs to really put a stake in their hearts...maybe even get in FG range. Instead, he goes 3 and out. THat was it. That was the moment. I had never ever been as angry at a sports figure in my entire life. I ******* despised him after that 3 and out. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I disagree with you.  '98 Vinny never returned and fans wanted to move on. The big controversy was why was it taking Chad so long? Most fans didn't think Chad was good because of that and again when Chad took over the Jets were playing awful football(wasn't all on QB, they had a million injuries).  They were 1-3 when Chad started his first game and were outscored 102-13 in the 3 straight losses before his first start.  People were not upset he was starting at that moment.

This is my recollection, as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetswin said:

wut?

I have no recollection of that if you mean JI lol, had to be on the QT if so

It did happen, I don't think it was systematic. But Coles was close to the powers that be. So he did get some preferential treatment for a short time at least.  :)

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it amazing how the smart people on the board always end up being proven right in these QB debates?  The anti-Chads, Sanchez's, and Geno's all ended up right in the end.  And they'll end up right about Darnold being terrible, too.

The anti Chads and Sanchez's were proven wrong

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it amazing how the smart people on the board always end up being proven right in these QB debates?  The anti-Chads, Sanchez's, and Geno's all ended up right in the end.  And they'll end up right about Darnold being terrible, too.

Extremely likely, yes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was anti-chad starting in '05 and anti sanchez and geno from before the draft, but wtf does that have to do with being smart? Congrats on all the wisdom I guess.

I wish I were wrong about any and all of them. 

11 hours ago, nyjunc said:

My first post on a Jets site was a farewell Vinny post. SAR immediately responded, informing me with evidence that Vinny was, in essence, overrated and that my admiration was due only to the low expectations for Jets QBs throughout the 90’s.

A great early memory. SAR present at the beginning.