Texans’ Timetable Options Moving Forward

32EBoozer

If Texans/Watson issue doesn’t de-escalate when does team move on?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What is best time for Texans to move on from Watson

• Now and get boatload of picks to placate fans?
    • Draft day to try and up the offers?
    • Hold onto him and hope things get better by hiring Biennemy?

This wasn't an option but I think it's before the Draft but not today or even this month.  The Texans need to let things cool down and quietly tell DeShaun they could work to move him.  But right now there's blood in the water.

I also wouldn't wait longer than the start of FA.  Teams will start to make serious roster construction and Cap-impacting decisions when they sign free agents in March.  Watson needs to be dealt by then so that teams can plan around it, absorb the Cap ramifications, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

This wasn't an option but I think it's before the Draft but not today or even this month.  The Texans need to let things cool down and quietly tell DeShaun they could work to move him.  But right now there's blood in the water.

I also wouldn't wait longer than the start of FA.  Teams will start to make serious roster construction and Cap-impacting decisions when they sign free agents in March.  Watson needs to be dealt by then so that teams can plan around it, absorb the Cap ramifications, etc.

This is why a draft day trade is unlikely. 

• Upvote 2

I take my chances that this will eventually blow over or than I can make Watson happy. The only trade for draft picks that I would even entertain as possible would be a trade with the jags that gives me the number one pick. No one else even needs to call me to propose a trade unless they have the number one pick for 2021 in their pocket.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Texans aren’t going to trade Watson to a place where they’d have to face him 2x per year.

And this thing isn’t blowing over.

Agreed. Watson sees what’s ahead of him. Limited draft capital (Tunsil trade)

Overbloated cap (JJ and others) $17 m over the cap for top 51  

If Watson is a post June 1 trade the cap savings are double the dead money  

Sorry about the table  but I’m on my phone  See Texans OTC for chart

Contracted Players (55 total)

Player Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number

Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Regular Per Game
J.J. Watt $17,500,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0   $0   $17,500,000  
$0
$17,500,000
Laremy Tunsil $16,150,000 $3,250,000 $0 $0 $0 $0   $16,150,000   $19,400,000  
$3,250,000
$16,150,000
Whitney Mercilus $10,500,000 $1,500,000 $0 $0 $0 $0   $10,500,000   $12,000,000  
$1,500,000
$10,500,000
David Johnson $7,950,000 $0 $300,000 $750,000 $0 $0   $2,100,000   $8,812,500  
$0
$8,812,500
Deshaun Watson $10,540,000 $5,400,000 $0 $0 $0 $0   $10,540,000   $15,940,000  
$5,400,000
$10,540,000
  • Sympathy 3

36 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Watson hasn't asked for a trade yet.   hire Bieniemy and this probalby goes away.

I'd say possibly,  not probably.  Depends on how bad the relationship is.

One question though - Will the Texans even be able to hire a HC who doesn't know if Watson will be there or not?

And, imagine the Texans hire Bieniemy to appease Watson and Watson still wants out. lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This is just going to fester. I'm starting to think that Watson thinks he works for a racist organization. Keep in mind, Watson sees the writing on the wall here, the Texans have no high draft picks the next 2 years, they have no money either. 

The Texans are currently 31 million over the new salary cap ceiling. They went 4-12 & JJ Watt will be gone (17,500,000 cap hit- 0 dead money). Will Fuller is a free agent. 

So they have no money, no draft picks, no way of improving the team unless they hit on every pick outside of the 2nd round. 

This team is in a world of hurt & needs to hit the rest button badly. Jets will still have the usual number of draft picks, and money, a young Mims, Crowder under contract, a young QW (and a good young Dline) 2 Tackles & a Center, CJ Mosely likely back. A very good coaching staff, and some very young talent to work with in Hall, Bless, Davis, I'm sure we'll resign Maye, plus enough cap room to nab a top flight WR & Edge rusher. 

This situation is like Night & Day compared to where Houston is right now. Their window isn't shut, it's SLAMMED SHUT & Gorilla glued. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, docdhc said:

The GM just got there.  It will take some time for him to figure this out. Agree that he has to do it by March when free agency starts.  Players will want to know who the QB is before signing.

Who they signing in free agency? They're 31 million over the current cap. They have to cut JJ Watt & will still be 14 million over & Will Fuller is a free agent. 

The Texans are the 2012 NY Jets. Literally stuck in neutral with a steering wheel (Watson) and no engine & no tires. 

I think you'll at least see him stay through a good part of the off season.  May be interesting to see the timeline of JJ Watt's situation as well.  It is very possible they could both could leave.  Douglas' approach to a trade like that will be interesting to watch.  If he values a player up to a certain point or goes full in if he feels the player is worth it.  Which Watson most certainly in from a value standpoint.

• Upvote 1

I think the main thing that is missing is communication. Keep the qb in the process. that's what's missing, good-faith communication from both sides.

Probably, Watson mostly cares about winning. and maybe he feels like ownership is too stupid to win. So, why waste time with Houston? Invent some made-up issue, like "hire the coach I want" and if they don't, which they won't, Watson has his ticket out of town, no egg on his face.

• Upvote 1

Part of the issue with a Watson trade is the he has a no-trade clause, which gives him some leverage into where he goes.  If Miami is interested, and If he prefers the Phins, who have similar draft capital to us and are closer to winning, he can refuse to waive his no trade to go to the Jets and try to force a trade to Miami.  

• Upvote 1

It's not up to the Texans.  It's up to Watson.  And if he makes it clear there is no saving him, they need to strike immediately as their ability to recruit a strong head coach depends upon knowing what the QB situation is.  If Watson plays it coy, Texans have to move forward with a compromise candidate willing to settle for a job with an unknown at QB.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Watson hasn't asked for a trade yet.   hire Bieniemy and this probalby goes away.

Agreed. I’d be shocked if Watson is moved. This buzz just seems like off-season catnip for bored fans and reporters. QBs this good are just not traded. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

Agreed. I’d be shocked if Watson is moved. This buzz just seems like off-season catnip for bored fans and reporters. QBs this good are just not traded. 

Reporters know that they can post any little tidbit and the fanbases of every team that doesn't have a top 5 QB will go nuts. Sh*t, the seahawks fans are advocating to trade Wilson for Watson. 

All you have to do is write a couple paragraph of utter garbage and then slap "Jets could trade #2 overall for Watson". No substance or content. All it needs is knowing the Jets have the #2 pick and it will generate a ton of hits and it will be posted and plastered everywhere by desperate fans. 

13 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Another rare sane post in the silly season..:beer:

That’s what NBA fans said before players started forcing their way out of town. Now I understand the NBA Players Union is strong while the NFL is relatively week.... but players are becoming more aware of their leverage; especially these young socially aware players

Edited by 32EBoozer