Texans’ Timetable Options Moving Forward

If Texans/Watson issue doesn’t de-escalate when does team move on?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What is best time for Texans to move on from Watson

• Now and get boatload of picks to placate fans?
    • Draft day to try and up the offers?
    • Hold onto him and hope things get better by hiring Biennemy?

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Big NBA fans around here I see.  Bunch a sheep.

They literally interviewed him today. As soon as they were able after this blew up in the news. 

Would certainly seem that Watson's concerns are impacting their process.

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Man, first the Astros get gutted for cheating.

Then Harden shoots his way out of town.

Now Watson.

It is not a good time to be a sports fan in Houston.

Fock the Astros!

• Post of the Week 1
10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets will not trade for watson until at the draft if at all.

What happens if Jax does not pick Lawrence?

The Jets can't worry about the 0.0001% chance that the Jags pass on Lawrence. 

They have to operate under the assumption that Lawrence is unavailable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There is no reason to make a deal before you know.  That is mccagnan like, trading 3 second rounders for any of of 3 QBs.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There is no reason to make a deal before you know.  That is mccagnan like, trading 3 second rounders for any of of 3 QBs.

Well, if Watson is really getting traded, it's happening well before draft day. Well before. 

The Jets would almost certainly have to make the Watson trade without "knowing" that the Jags are taking Lawrence (but we all know the Jags are taking Lawrence)

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, if Watson is really getting traded, it's happening well before draft day. Well before. 

It has to happen now so they can attract a top head coaching candidate and calm their fans down.  Fields + Daboll goes a long way towards that.  

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets would almost certainly have to make the Watson trade without "knowing" that the Jags are taking Lawrence

The owners are all buddies and in cahoots. Jags owner, Jets owner, they’ve spoken.  

With Saleh and  LaFleur unsigned it’s unclear if Douglas is even thinking of Watson.  

SAR I

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The only way JAX doesn’t take Lawrence is if they trade for Watson. Lawrence is perfect for that team.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets would almost certainly have to make the Watson trade without "knowing" that the Jags are taking Lawrence (but we all know the Jags are taking Lawrence)

If Watson traded it’s before draft for sure. HOU will need 2021 picks for damage control purposes. Still believe they cave and hire Bieniemy and Watson stays.

• Upvote 1

Any trade won’t be official until the league year begins in mid March.  So the Texans have plenty of time to find the highest bidder, and the Jets can see if it’s better to offer #2, or flip #2 for more picks and offer those instead.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

If Watson traded it’s before draft for sure. HOU will need 2021 picks for damage control purposes. Still believe they cave and hire Bieniemy and Watson stays.

Same

I feel like it's too little too late for Houston to hire Bieniemy in order to convince Watson to stay. I think Watson's mind is made up and he is all but gone and all signs point to NY.
  • Upvote 1

If I’m the Texans I of course try to mend the fence...it’s in their best interest to make sure their 25 year old franchise QB is happy....at least give the appearance of getting his input on the coaching search because that’s what he was promised when he re-signed....they’re limited in how they can build the team next season but I would at least show a clear plan of how they can move forward for the years to come as Watson is under contract 

However the higher ups in Houston are bat-sh!t crazy and erratic so there’s a significant chance of a bridge being burned here....in that case I do move him in the early offseason....right around FA when most of these megatrades happen. I wouldn’t let this linger past the draft into Training Camp without a full commitment from Watson moving forward. I wouldn’t want to put my new GM and HC in that situation 

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Jetster said:

I'm starting to think that Watson thinks he works for a racist organization.

This is ultimately why I believe the bridge is burned already and we’ve already reached the point of no return. I have no clue who Cal McNair is as a person and what his views are so I can’t call it either way but perception is everything in society 

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

This is ultimately why I believe the bridge is burned already and we’ve already reached the point of no return. I have no clue who Cal McNair is as a person and what his views are so I can’t call it either way but perception is everything in society 

Well his Dad, the owner until his death in 2018, said this 3 years ago, if that means anything:

The most eye-raising quote in the article came from Houston Texans owner Bob McNair, who reportedly derailed a discussion when he told other NFL owners that they “can't have the inmates running the prison.”

• Upvote 2

A lot of this is media hubbub. The reality is Watson has no power with exception to his no-trade clause, which gives him some say where he goes if the Texans elect to take offers. 

As far as Watson's reasoning for a trade: I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think these rumors about the coaching search and his dissatisfaction with the organization's stance on social justice are excuses to get the hell out of dodge. If he felt that way, he wouldn't have signed his extension in the first place. However, I don't think his representation made it clear how big of a dumpster fire this was going to be, and the timing of all of this (given that it's been depicted as clearly the worst situation in the NFL and top candidates actively sought to avoid it) left him in this position. 

He and his representatives made a big no-no; this team is in trouble for the next 2 years, big trouble, and it should've been clear when Billy O traded away all those draft picks. It should've been a major contention before putting ink to paper, and they should've made more demands prior to agreeing to the new deal. Fact is, they only won 4 games in 2020 despite a heroic season by Deshaun and having a bunch of veterans on the roster. It's not going to get better in the short-term, and I don't think Deshaun wants to be apart of a rebuild (but he won't say that). Instead, blaming ownership/social justice/search allows him to save face. 

This isn't the Jay Cutler situation; he was traded because the coach wanted him traded. If the organization wants to trade Watson to start fresh and begin the rebuild, they will trade him. If they don't want to trade him then they don't have to. If Watson takes the stance that he's going to sit out absent a trade, the Texans can (and will) fine him every day until they recuperate the money they lost by signing him, then they'll trade him and get the same amount of picks just at a later date... 

I just think we're all moving too quickly on this. They'll hire a coach first, then they'll hope that coach can mend the fences. If it gets to a point where Watson officially requests a trade and the Texans entertain it, then it becomes real. 

• Upvote 3
13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well his Dad, the owner until his death in 2018, said this 3 years ago, if that means anything:

The most eye-raising quote in the article came from Houston Texans owner Bob McNair, who reportedly derailed a discussion when he told other NFL owners that they “can't have the inmates running the prison.”

True, but Watson signed his contract on September 5th, 2020... that was well after Bob McNair's comments, well after the DeAndre Hopkins trade, well after the social justice movement swept across the league...

I get it, it's hard to turn down $177.5 million, but he had all his leverage right then and there. If he wanted something different or wanted the organization to make changes, that was his time to ask for them. He knew going into that negotiation that Caserio was going to be Bill O'Brien's target for GM, he knew Easterby was going to be with the organization... however, I think Deshaun/his representation did not expect Bill O'Brien to get fired. I think Deshaun/his representation did not expect to go 4-12. I think Deshaun/his representation did not expect coaches to view this situation so poorly. I think Deshaun/his representation do not want to be apart of a rebuild... this whole thing just reeks of his agents being opportunistic. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, football guy said:

True, but Watson signed his contract on September 5th, 2020... that was well after Bob McNair's comments, well after the DeAndre Hopkins trade, well after the social justice movement swept across the league...

I get it, it's hard to turn down $177.5 million, but he had all his leverage right then and there. If he wanted something different or wanted the organization to make changes, that was his time to ask for them. He knew going into that negotiation that Caserio was going to be Bill O'Brien's target for GM, he knew Easterby was going to be with the organization... however, I think Deshaun/his representation did not expect Bill O'Brien to get fired. I think Deshaun/his representation did not expect to go 4-12. I think Deshaun/his representation did not expect coaches to view this situation so poorly. I think Deshaun/his representation do not want to be apart of a rebuild... this whole thing just reeks of his agents being opportunistic. 

Are you saying they were WOKE before they signed on for 177 million? I would agree. 

i tend to think the texans would have to move on ths sooner rather than later if they are going to move watson.  they have him under contract and i don't think he's banked enough to allow him to sit out the season.  plus this rally in houston to keep watson should do something to smooth his feathers.

as for watson himself, i think he's putting himself in a pariah's position by not accepting who the texans hire.  i get the part about him wanting a person of color as his coach but at the same time that person has to be a good coach and be right for the team.  the jets selected a guy that seems to be both.  and that's good.

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets will not trade for watson until at the draft if at all.

What happens if Jax does not pick Lawrence?

Stranger things have happened.

Watson > Lawrence right now. You probably can get better players to come in FA if you make the move for Watson now. The Jets are not a well regarded destination for players at the moment. Watson could change all of that.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, football guy said:

Yea I agree with this....although it can spark a debate if whether this situation is the proverbial “straw that broke the camel’s back” or if He and his team are indeed being opportunistic and trying to weasel out of a less then ideal situation. 

A large part of me says “either way can you blame him?” But then at the time I did wonder why he did sign the contract....but like you said turning down 177.5 mil is a hard sell

Houston ownership won’t be changing. The face of the franchise has basically called them racists. You don’t repair that, especially when losing is on the schedule for the next 3-5 years. 

You get together with his agent and work out a deal to move forward without burning the organization to the ground. Watson and team act graciously and part ways. Texans rebuild with another young stud (I’d recommend Fields over Wilson considering the accusations) and get the ownership out of day-to-day operations and let the healing begin. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Watson > Lawrence right now. You probably can get better players to come in FA if you make the move for Watson now. The Jets are not a well regarded destination for players at the moment. Watson could change all of that.

It was a mere week or so ago when the board said that about HC's..:eek:

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Are you saying they were WOKE before they signed on for 177 million? I would agree. 

It's strictly business. I think that Deshaun/his reps are reading the terrain and know this is the best way they can reshape public opinion in Deshaun's favor... In reality, if he was so done with ownership, why did he sign the contract? Why was he so committed to Houston just 4 months ago? He opened a restaurant, bought a new house... how did Deshaun's relationship become so toxic overnight? Why all of a sudden do his reps feel the need to spin things to make him out to be the victim? 

It's pretty clear to me what's going on. His reps are feeding storylines to the media with an eye on getting Deshaun out of town while saving face. No one anticipated this downfall (that's on his reps) and they're trying to do what they can to get Deshaun in a better situation, given they have very limited power. 

At the same time, I'm not convinced Houston wants to move forward with him, as stupid as that sounds. These Patriot guys have a weird way of looking at the game. I hate to put Caserio in that box, but whose to say he doesn't want to trade Watson for an abundance of draft picks and start fresh? Only time will tell. 

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It was a mere week or so ago when the board said that about HC's..:eek:

I still think it’s a harder sell than what people think. Coaches are a bit different from a hiring perspective. It seems like the reputation and publicly toxic culture showed on TV holds less weight with a guy looking for his first HC opportunity. It seems like coaches go into job hires with the sole intent of turning the team anyway, so the current state of the team doesn’t matter as much. elite players may not be as willing to jump on a team known for being completely unstable. Coaches look to put the wheels back on & players look to buy the best deal on the lot.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:04 PM, PS17 said:

Agreed. I’d be shocked if Watson is moved. This buzz just seems like off-season catnip for bored fans and reporters. QBs this good are just not traded. 

this

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I still think it’s a harder sell than what people think. Coaches are a bit different from a hiring perspective. It seems like the reputation and publicly toxic culture showed on TV holds less weight with a guy looking for his first HC opportunity. It seems like coaches go into job hires with the sole intent of turning the team anyway, so the current state of the team doesn’t matter as much. elite players may not be as willing to jump on a team known for being completely unstable. Coaches look to put the wheels back on & players look to buy the best deal on the lot.

PK Watson has a gun to the owner’s head “hire Biennemy “ Texans do not have the talent, draft capital and Cap space to have next season be more than a 6-8 win team. Will Watson be any happier then? 

Tear it down and rebuild gives the coach 4 years vs. 2 years to build a winner. Hire the coach you want (McDaniels?) and build with Fields and a plethora of picks moving forward. 

53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

PK Watson has a gun to the owner’s head “hire Biennemy “ Texans do not have the talent, draft capital and Cap space to have next season be more than a 6-8 win team. Will Watson be any happier then? 

Tear it down and rebuild gives the coach 4 years vs. 2 years to build a winner. Hire the coach you want (McDaniels?) and build with Fields and a plethora of picks moving forward. 

I agree. I would like Watson in NY. We have a better chance of fielding a decent offense being that we have the cap space we have. All I meant was Watson in NY attracts better offensive FA pieces to us than if we didn’t have him at all so it would be nice to strike a deal before FA

• Like 1