Watson may have just indicated legit interest in the Jets

12 hours ago, doitny said:

everybody has the ammunition. 

does 2 #1s from the Jets cause they would be higher in the draft worth more than 4 #1s from the Pats? 

and you have to assume the 2022 picks the Jets give up wont be that high cause Watson will make us better. Minnesota didnt give Dallas multiple 1s in the same year cause they didnt have it. so they gave them 1 each of the next 3 years. plus 3 #2s. 

you have to give up more or get outbid. 

and my bet is the asking price is too high for JD. 

Bold 1: But we can give out 3 number 1s that pay off sooner than the Pats 4 number 1s. And don't underestimate the value of our 2OA pick.

Bold 2: That can be said for any team that acquires Deshaun Watson.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

What do you think would be the best option at QB? If Miami trades for Watson what would be your answer to that to keep your team competitive in the division? If the Fins went 10-6 with Fitz and the Bills on a impressive playoff run where would stand as far as QB? Please tell me a viable alternative.

We need to build the best team, not try and pre-emptively trade for a player because a divisional opponent might get him. BTW, I do not see Miami trading for Watson they will give Tua at least another year.

In terms of best option at QB? Well that is a multi-tiered decision:

1. Do we feel that Wilson or Fields are high probability FQBs?

2. How do we rate Watson? (Probably super high, but remember Houston runs a "Watson" offense, Saleh might not want to do that, though he does seem like a build the system around the players guy)

3. What is the draft compensation for Watson

4. What is the #2 pick worth in actual compensation

So, here would be part of the thought tree:

1. Say we believe Wilson is a FQB prospect but sill a prospect. Watson is a fairly sure thing. We value the #2 pick at 2 #1s and a second. Probably conservative- if someone wants Fields or Wilson and they are say 6 or lower compensation is likely much more than that. 

Now let's suppose that Watson costs 3 #1 picks including #2. Well the #2 pick is worth 2 1s and a second so in essence we are trading, 4 #1 picks and a second for Watson. More than RGIII. Pass

On the other hand say we can get Watson for both of Seattles 1st rounders and say a second. Well then the value we trade is roughly the value of the #2 pick itself. But then we need to also ask a couple questions: Do we think the team will be better with Watson on his contract, or Wilson on a rookie contract? What abour the salary cap implications in terms of depth? If it's Watson, you make the trade, if Wilson you just make the pick. You would have to be super high on Wilson though not to do the trade in this scenario

2. We do NOT think Wilson or Fields is a franchise guy.  Same basic analysis at the top. 3#1s including #2 pass,, pull the trigger on both of Seattles and then trade down.  However this is another scenario you need to look at in this case. Do you think Trask or Mac Jones on a rookie contract is better than Watson considering all the additional high value players you can surround him, with.

The big point is this: We have the #2 pick in the NFL draft. That has tangible and very real value, especially in a draft where most think both Wilson and Fields are FQB prospects.

#2 is incredibly valuable. So say Denver offers 3 #1s for Watson. That does not justify trading 3 Jets #1s because our #2 is close to the value of all three of Denvers picks.

You have to pay appropriate value for Watson. And the value of Watson and the value of the #2 pick are independent of each other. You just do not throw value out the window just because you want Watson. That has long term negative implications for the team.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I try to be respectful of differing opinions on this sight as much as I possibly can.  No reason not to be.  However this post of yours absolutely rubs me the wrong way.

It's one thing to just not want Watson or whatever,  but to go at it like this makes is just ridiculous.  

Then you start talking about opportunity cost etc to back your stance.  The real opportunity cost risk in this scenario is not trading for Watson, it's keeping the picks, drafting a QB who then flops.  Watson is the proven commodity, so everything is measured against him in this scenario.  

Well people wanting to just throw picks at Houston to get Watson without considering value rubs me the wrong way. The #2 pick is incredibly valuable. In fact close to the same value as 3 #1s from other teams. As I explained in my longer post, trading 3#1s including #2 is like trading 4#1s and a #2 minimum.  More draft value than the RGIII trade.

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

More draft value than the RGIII trade.

Actual Production

Is greater than 

Projected Production 

Hense the larger distribution of assets to acquire said production. 

I have a feeling however that if JD decides to go all in on Watson, he will make a good trade. Especially if Watson is helping to push the lesser deal through. My only worry is Miami

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Bold 1: But we can give out 3 number 1s that pay off sooner than the Pats 4 number 1s. And don't underestimate the value of our 2OA pick.

The Pats don't pay QB's look at Brady and the 1 million they gave Newton..

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We need to build the best team, not try and pre-emptively trade for a player because a divisional opponent might get him. BTW, I do not see Miami trading for Watson they will give Tua at least another year.

In terms of best option at QB? Well that is a multi-tiered decision:

1. Do we feel that Wilson or Fields are high probability FQBs?

2. How do we rate Watson? (Probably super high, but remember Houston runs a "Watson" offense, Saleh might not want to do that, though he does seem like a build the system around the players guy)

3. What is the draft compensation for Watson

4. What is the #2 pick worth in actual compensation

So, here would be part of the thought tree:

1. Say we believe Wilson is a FQB prospect but sill a prospect. Watson is a fairly sure thing. We value the #2 pick at 2 #1s and a second. Probably conservative- if someone wants Fields or Wilson and they are say 6 or lower compensation is likely much more than that. 

Now let's suppose that Watson costs 3 #1 picks including #2. Well the #2 pick is worth 2 1s and a second so in essence we are trading, 4 #1 picks and a second for Watson. More than RGIII. Pass

On the other hand say we can get Watson for both of Seattles 1st rounders and say a second. Well then the value we trade is roughly the value of the #2 pick itself. But then we need to also ask a couple questions: Do we think the team will be better with Watson on his contract, or Wilson on a rookie contract? What abour the salary cap implications in terms of depth? If it's Watson, you make the trade, if Wilson you just make the pick. You would have to be super high on Wilson though not to do the trade in this scenario

2. We do NOT think Wilson or Fields is a franchise guy.  Same basic analysis at the top. 3#1s including #2 pass,, pull the trigger on both of Seattles and then trade down.  However this is another scenario you need to look at in this case. Do you think Trask or Mac Jones on a rookie contract is better than Watson considering all the additional high value players you can surround him, with.

The big point is this: We have the #2 pick in the NFL draft. That has tangible and very real value, especially in a draft where most think both Wilson and Fields are FQB prospects.

#2 is incredibly valuable. So say Denver offers 3 #1s for Watson. That does not justify trading 3 Jets #1s because our #2 is close to the value of all three of Denvers picks.

You have to pay appropriate value for Watson. And the value of Watson and the value of the #2 pick are independent of each other. You just do not throw value out the window just because you want Watson. That has long term negative implications for the team.

First of all great response and breakdown of possible trade scenarios. It will come down to what Houston actually wants. My main concern is QB, I just don’t have faith in the Jets picking a QB. I feel more comfortable this year, but it’s still the Jets. 
I have a limit like others what we should give up for Watson if that was the case just no confidence in Sam or draft picks. I am in the I will believe it when I see it camp with this team. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Some don't realize our number 2 is the same as 2 number 1's since it can be traded. So our 2 number ones can be looked at as the same as 3 number 1's plus the addition of Darnold in the trade. Not to mention the choice of a QB if that's the route they choose to go. Miami's pick is no where near as valuable and might be hard to trade out of. 

I would offer our number 23, next years First, and a first in 2023 plus Darnold .... If they insisted on our 2nd over all I would remove one of the other first round picks . No way in hell would I ever give 4 firsts and I'm sure Douglas would feel the same way

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Some don't realize our number 2 is the same as 2 number 1's since it can be traded. So our 2 number ones can be looked at as the same as 3 number 1's plus the addition of Darnold in the trade. Not to mention the choice of a QB if that's the route they choose to go. Miami's pick is no where near as valuable and might be hard to trade out of. 

I would offer our number 23, next years First, and a first in 2023 plus Darnold .... If they insisted on our 2nd over all I would remove one of the other first round picks . No way in hell would I ever give 4 firsts and I'm sure Douglas would feel the same way

I'd give up our 2OA, plus both our 1sts in 2022 and 2023, in a heartbeat, plus Darnold if they want him (but I don't imagine why they would). I expect us to use that 2OA on a QB, anyway, and we'd still have 2 1sts in the next 3 years.

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'd give up our 2OA, plus both our 1sts in 2022 and 2023, in a heartbeat, plus Darnold if they want him (but I don't imagine why they would). I expect us to use that 2OA on a QB, anyway, and we'd still have 2 1sts in the next 3 

—————————————————-

People forget that Houston does not pick until 3rd round ( #67) JD could also ask for other lesser draft capital from Houston if we are giving up three #1 picks. Maybe we get an additional 3rd or 4th here and there to balance the equity? Even w/o a 1st or 2nd rd. pick, Houston has 8 selections in this draft. 

Edited by 32EBoozer

3 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

Allen Robinson may have just indicated legit interest in the Jets signing Watson. 

faint fainting GIF

Exactly what I mean. Having a coach that players speak highly of, a franchise QB, a future pro bowler in Becton, the upside of Mims. It’s ridiculous to me. This is only the beginning, too. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

People forget that Houston does not pick until 3rd round ( #67) JD could also ask for other lesser draft capital from Houston if we are giving up three #1 picks. Maybe we get an additional 3rd or 4th here and there to balance the equity? Even w/o a 1st or 2nd rd. pick, Houston has 8 selections in this draft. 

Any picks that JD can swindle back to us would be sweet.

4 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I can't wait for when Houston hires some curveball at HC and Watson just demands out immediately. 

How does the rule work. They Interviewed bienemy. Are they allowed to announce his hiring now if they decided on him or do they have to wait until kc is out or wins it all

If I’m JD they can have number two and we whatever we can get for Darnold  or 2 Seattle picks and whatever we get for darnold. 

jets will suck next year anyways. This will speed up their recovery, but at this point I can be patient. It’s been ten years and last year was miserable. 

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Imo it seems like some things are being worked out behind the scenes, would you agree?

I wouldn’t say that just yet...I do, however, believe that Watson has preferences on where he would like to go should he, ultimately, choose to leave (it’s trending that way) and all indications are that we would be up there on his list.

It’s gonna be a lonnnnnnng couple of weeks lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I wouldn’t say that just yet...I do, however, believe that Watson has preferences on where he would like to go should he, ultimately, choose to leave (it’s trending that way) and all indications are that we would be up there on his list.

It’s gonna be a lonnnnnnng couple of weeks lol.

Agreed ?

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Video ended up being from 1/19/21.

I refuse to believe that there is even a sliver of opportunity here lmao.

Was just coming here to post this. His agent is from Brooklyn. This makes some sense. You have Kevin Durant, Kyrie & Harden teaming up in a major market that has sucked for a while now to turn it around, you could see a similar thing happen with the Jets. Watson and Allen Robinson may team up here. You never know. I also like that his agent is a NYJ fan(or so it seems) and he’s in Watson’s ear about potentially coming here. If an opportunity is there, JD can’t sit on his hands.