Watson may have just indicated legit interest in the Jets

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Not really true. He has control of the emergency brake, not the steering wheel.

It is true. He can just not play or get traded to a team that he has the say over due to his no trade clause. If he doesn't play the Texans get nothing for him and he doesn't get paid. That would never happen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Watson had a field trip to NYC once in the 6th grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

y'all are smoking something

gonna come down to dollars and cents aka draft capital aka trade value aka Joey D is going to do it if it makes sense.

there are going to be 10+ other teams vying for his services

Only a couple teams have the ammunition - really just us and Miami. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

If 3 firsts in 3 years is a "lifetime of picks" than 2 first in 3 years (which is what we'd still have) is still quite a fulfilling life's amount.

One of those 3 firsts is likely going to end up being a QB anyway, so that just leaves us down 2 players. What are the chances we hit home runs on those two players? Deshaun Watson is a grand fricking slam!

This league is QB QB QB... and that's Deshaun Watson.

Deshaun Watson is also young, at 25.

I think it just takes away two first round picks that they can passionately call busts for the first couple of years.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, David Harris said:

So we keep saying top-five but where does Watson actually rank as a 2021 projection. With Drew Brees retiring and Ben Roethlisberger broken down, I think Watson is top 5-7

Rodgers

Mahomes

Wilson

Allen

Herbert

Watson 

Brady

No way Herbert belongs in that group yet. He had a great rookie season but there it's too early for such high praise.

Since he has the ability to approve of where he's traded to, wouldn't it make sense for him to tell the team he wants not to offer too much.

Say he does actually want to come to the Jets.  Couldn't he get a message to Douglas saying don't worry about matching Miami.  Just offer 2 #1s and that'll be the best offer Houston will receive from a team he'd approve of.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RSJ said:

There is one other thing we could offer that other teams cant. We can take on some of their bad contracts. Houston has cap issues and we can get them out of it pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Good point.  And Miami can't do this as easily as the Jets can.  

Jets projected cap space:  $74M

Dolphins projected cap space:  $26M

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  It doesnt matter how good a QB is if your team is full of holes you aren’t winning.  Look at Mahomes.  Yes as great as he his team is absolutely loaded with talent and he had Andy Reid.  The Bills are loaded with Talent which protects Josh Allen.  If anything the Jets need as many draft picks as they can.  Giving away 3 first round picks won’t help.  I’d rather just draft a QB if we are going in a new direction because at least we can surround him with more talent and he will be on a rookie deal 

Even if we give up 3 #1s in 3 years, we will still have 2 #1s, a bunch of #2s and #3s and a ton of cap space. It's a no brainer. You're not going to hit on all of your first rounders to the extent you would with an all world QB on your team. I don't understand why you would hold on to draft capital instead of getting a potential Hall of Fame QB in his prime. That's how you win. 2 or 3 of the 5 players could end up being average starters and the other two could be good/very good players. That's best case scenario. I swear, some people would rather hold on to the unknown than get a Peyton Manning at 25. And we'd have plenty of picks and cash to give him the playmakers and lineman next season.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

26 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Since he has the ability to approve of where he's traded to, wouldn't it make sense for him to tell the team he wants not to offer too much.

Say he does actually want to come to the Jets.  Couldn't he get a message to Douglas saying don't worry about matching Miami.  Just offer 2 #1s and that'll be the best offer Houston will receive from a team he'd approve of.

No, that's goes against league rules. I'm pretty sure the Jets can't speak with Watson before they speak with the Texans. 

Imagine a coach taking the Texans job knowing that Watson will be traded.

Or imagine a coach who won’t take the Texans job unless Watson is traded.

Those are the two scenarios that would be present for any coach taking the Texans job, if the Watson trade rumors have any merit. The conclusion that would have to be made is that the new coach replacing Bill O’Brien is already worse than Gase.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Even if we give up 3 #1s in 3 years, we will still have 2 #1s, a bunch of #2s and #3s and a ton of cap space. It's a no brainer. You're not going to hit on all of your first rounders to the extent you would with an all world QB on your team. I don't understand why you would hold on to draft capital instead of getting a potential Hall of Fame QB in his prime. That's how you win. 2 or 3 of the 5 players could end up being average starters and the other two could be good/very good players. That's best case scenario. I swear, some people would rather hold on to the unknown than get a Peyton Manning at 25. And we'd have plenty of picks and cash to give him the playmakers and lineman next season.

W T F ?

Here is some reality ...

Playoffs Passing

Year Age Tm Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
Career     3 3 1-2 80 126 63.5 870 4 3.2 1 0.8 44 54 6.9 7.2 10.9 290.0 91.0 14 72 5.70 5.95 10.0 1 1
2018* 23 HOU QB 1 1 0-1 29 49 59.2 235 1 2.0 1 2.0 13 20 4.8 4.3 8.1 235.0 69.7 3 18 4.17 3.69 5.8    
2019* 24 HOU QB 2 2 1-1 51 77 66.2 635 3 3.9 0 0.0 31 54 8.2 9.0 12.5 317.5 104.6 11 54 6.60 7.28 12.5 1 1
Edited by Dunnie
  • Thumb Down 1

I have never seen a team handle things this bad and it does look like he may request a trade this team is imploding and needs to just start over. Our leverage is getting stronger by the day.

So 

We offer This years first and a second and next years first so that's a 1,1,2 and Sam Darnold for Deshaun and I do it as soon as Deshaun tells Houston he's done. With them also shopping JJ Watt its the only way for them to accumulate picks to rebuild the team. 

The Key to this deal is our number 1 pick this year because they can trade that pick to accumulate more picks or they can draft a QB to compete with Sam Darnold

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Only a couple teams have the ammunition - really just us and Miami. 

everybody has the ammunition. 

does 2 #1s from the Jets cause they would be higher in the draft worth more than 4 #1s from the Pats? 

and you have to assume the 2022 picks the Jets give up wont be that high cause Watson will make us better. Minnesota didnt give Dallas multiple 1s in the same year cause they didnt have it. so they gave them 1 each of the next 3 years. plus 3 #2s. 

you have to give up more or get outbid. 

and my bet is the asking price is too high for JD. 

4 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Can someone tell me why they like Darnold?  Not as a person, but as a football player only.  You need to separate the two.  I’m serious; tell me why?

Sunken cost to acquire him and Internet pride because they don’t want to be wrong about him.

• Upvote 1

The Houston Texans' relationship with their franchise quarterback, Deshaun Watson, is fractured. 

Watson recently tweeted that his level of anger with the team has reached a "10" .

"He is one unhappy camper and has no plans to be with the Houston Texans anytime soon -- if ever," Schefter reported.

"Sources close to Watson say this is bigger than firing Jack Easterby, the front office executive whom McNair says he won't fire," Mortensen said. "He says -- this source says -- that unless Cal McNair can fire himself, Deshaun Watson is not about to change his mind that he does not want anything to do with the Texans going forward."

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

does 2 #1s from the Jets cause they would be higher in the draft worth more than 4 #1s from the Pats?

Yes.  

Because if they give us Watson we give them Fields.  If they don’t give us Watson we have to take Fields and they get a scrap-heap guy like Darnold.  

It’s not about number of picks.  It’s about Fields. Texans fans can accept Fields.  We are the key to saving the Texans.  

SAR I

21 minutes ago, doitny said:

and you have to assume the 2022 picks the Jets give up wont be that high cause Watson will make us better. Minnesota didnt give Dallas multiple 1s in the same year cause they didnt have it. so they gave them 1 each of the next 3 years. plus 3 #2s. 

Its not just draft picks, it's cap space.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Icer said:

Pretty funny seeing the usual suspects against the trade and those who want to run it back again

Explain to me how it’s possible to feel good about Darnold but think Watson isn’t elite because his team only won 4 games? Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, doitny said:

2 things you refuse to see here. 

1. The Jets have the most desirable pick at #2 where Houston can trade that pick and obtain more picks or use it to out right pick a replacement for Watson . Miami's pick is not as desirable because the team with the #2 has the option between Fields, Wilson or Trade. Miami at #3 has what's left from the choice number 2 makes. Houston trading a guy like Watson will want that decision to be there's unless they keep up the stupidity. Any team wanting to trade up for a QB (meaning fields or Wilson) would be complete Idiots to deal with the Dolphins and not the Jets/Houston if they make the trade.

2. Stop comparing this to the Heschel walker deal .... That deal was the dumbest football deal ever made and is 100 times different than Watson asking for a trade. No body cares what that deal netted because to even bring up that deal in any type of negotiation would get you laughed out of the room not only due to the stupidity of the deal but because it was about a RB NOT a QB .

If Watson asks to be traded the Texans will probably call the Jets first (or Jets call them IF they are interested) because of the desirable picks we currently have and a 23 year old QB that can compete for a job there. Houston, as I have said is losing leverage by the day. The Key to this whole situation is that Deshaun is wanting out which puts pressure on Houston's management. Its not like they are trying to trade a player that wants to stay there which would have given them time and the leverage to ask for a kings ransom. 

There are variables in this situation that makes the deal progressively worse for Houston and the main thing they have to focus on is replacing their QB and starting over.

Bottom line JD may not even want to do this he may want to trade out of 2 and get a boat load of picks himself and build our team the way he sees fit. and if we trade #2 we are going to have Numerous number 1's 2's and 3's this year and next before its all over. We have the option of keeping Darnold gaining a boat load of picks and drafting a guy like Mac Jones to compete with Darnold and Morgan ...So JD may not want to give up a stupid amount of picks to get Watson like some may think. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  

Because if they give us Watson we give them Fields.  If they don’t give us Watson we have to take Fields and they get a scrap-heap guy like Darnold.  

It’s not about number of picks.  It’s about Fields. Texans fans can accept Fields.  We are the key to saving the Texans.  

SAR I

or they can take a kings ransom from another team and then trade with us for that pick. if they get 4 1s from another team they could give us 2 maybe for that pic and still have 2 more 1s for themselves. 

there not going to let the jets low ball them cause they want to draft fields. 

there going to take the most picks and then they could trade with us and still have a good amount of picks left.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets have the most desirable pick at #2 where Houston can trade that pick and obtain more picks or use it to out right pick a replacement for Watson . Miami's pick is not as desirable because the team with the #2 has the option between Fields, Wilson or Trade. Miami at #3 has what's left from the choice number 2 makes. Houston trading a guy like Watson will want that decision to be there's unless they keep up the stupidity. Any team wanting to trade up for a QB (meaning fields or Wilson) would be complete Idiots to deal with the Dolphins and not the Jets/Houston if they make the trade.

If they're trading Watson to Miami, they're getting Tua in return. So the rest of that is a moot point because they won't be drafting a QB

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Holy sh*t - After reading this total dysfunction in Houston I now think Watson most likely will be traded:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

Yeah that pretty much seals it.  Someone close to him said "he just wants out."  I'd say 80-90% he's being traded.  Only question is where.

2 minutes ago, King P said:

If they're trading Watson to Miami, they're getting Tua in return. So the rest of that is a moot point because they won't be drafting a QB

Tua and Darnold were purposely ignored when I made that statement I was talking about the leverage of the pick not the 2 QB's . Also if they do get TUA or Darnold they will not be handing those guys the key to the franchise they will be there to compete for the QB job. So if Houston gets Tua and Miami's pick that pick does not have any where near the trade value the Jets Number 2 pick does. The Jets number 2 puts a team in the drivers seat for the remaining QB's which in turn raises the trade value of the pick or Houston Just Drafts Fields or Wilson to compete with Darnold. You can't do that with the Number 3.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Tua and Darnold were purposely ignored when I made that statement I was talking about the leverage of the pick not the 2 QB's . Also if they do get TUA or Darnold they will not be handing those guys the key to the franchise they will be there to compete for the QB job. So if Houston gets Tua and Miami's pick that pick does not have any where near the trade value the Jets Number 2 pick does. The Jets number 2 puts a team in the drivers seat for the remaining QB's which in turn raises the trade value of the pick or Houston Just Drafts Fields or Wilson to compete with Darnold. You can't do that with the Number 3.

Well it's been said the GM loves Tua, and plus they probably will build around Tua because Tua is on a rookie contract. He's essentially acting as a 1st round pick because that's what he is.

The 3rd pick will have value to the team that wants whoever is left from Fields or Wilson, so there will still be value. Plus the Dolphins will probably be giving up their pick at 18 as well as the 3rd pick, so they'll have 2 first round picks to work with