WR DeVonta Smith, Alabama is 2 inch and 20 lbs smaller than Robbie

I was just randomly looking at potential picks for us next year and i heard dude was small, but damn. 20 Lbs lighter than Robbie? How does the dude make it one game when he gets hit by an NFL safety or CB. How does he make it past 5 yards in the route without being jammed up. 

Im not a college guy but is there any WR that is similar profile that has been able to compete at the next level with his hieght and weight?

Seem to me in the NFL he would get crushed. Its one thing for a guy like Metcalf to make it and get unfairly knocked for being too big, but this dude is small man.

37 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I was just randomly looking at potential picks for us next year and i heard dude was small, but damn. 20 Lbs lighter than Robbie? How does the dude make it one game when he gets hit by an NFL safety or CB. How does he make it past 5 yards in the route without being jammed up. 

Im not a college guy but is there any WR that is similar profile that has been able to compete at the next level with his hieght and weight?

Seem to me in the NFL he would get crushed. Its one thing for a guy like Metcalf to make it and get unfairly knocked for being too big, but this dude is small man.

People were saying the same thing about Robbie not too long ago. 

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Nickname is "The Slim Reaper"

hahah I hope that is true.

So is it fair to say that he will be fine in the NFL? I mean you can't predict injury they are random all factors being the same, BUT not sure it is all factors being the same.. 20 lbs under an already really small guys seems like it would be significant. 

31 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Question: did some pundits rate John Ross over Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin and Kenny Galloday?

Answer: Who is John Ross

John Ross is of the two WR’s as light as Smith to gone in the top ten over the last ten plus drafts.

The other - Tavon Austin - hasn’t been much less disappointing.

There’s no precedent for a guy like Smith going as high as he will, and that doesn’t mean he won’t work out, but he’s a really unusual prospect.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, derp said:

John Ross is of the two WR’s as light as Smith to gone in the top ten over the last ten plus drafts.

The other - Tavon Austin - hasn’t been much less disappointing.

There’s no precedent for a guy like Smith going as high as he will, and that doesn’t mean he won’t work out, but he’s a really unusual prospect.

EDIT -  JOHN ROSS AND TAVON AUSTIN are busts and I have scarlet letters to write Derp now

13 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

A good comparison I think is Isaac Bruce.  Marvin Harrison was also similar although seemed  little bigger. 

But even Bruce had 14 pounds on Smith, and an inch shorter (he's listed at 6'0" 188 lbs. compared to Smiths' 6'1" 174 lbs.).

BTW, in normal human terms, 6'1" 174 is thin but not sickly.  But in NFL terms, it is pretty much unprecedented.  I couldn't find a comparable WR with nearly as low a lbs./inch ratio.  I'm not saying Smith won't be amazing in the pros, but teams are always a bit risk-averse and Smith is uncharted waters.  

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You're leaving out that he's much better than Robby

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I could care less about a few inches and pounds.  Wayne Gretzky was never going to last in the nhl.

You get hurt or you don;t a few inches and pounds don;t make a difference and robbie who is a stick does not get hurt much.

This. You’d think Pennington was an indestructible tank at 6’3”/230 just by his measurements alone. Eli was 10 lbs lighter at a couple inches taller and in 15 years and I don’t even remember the last time he appeared on an injury report, let alone miss even one game to injury in his career.

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

As much as I like both Chase and DeVonta, I’m starting to doubt either one being worth the #2.

On a trade down, I’m in. 

If we’re stuck at 2... Penei Sewell seems like the best choice.

There will be WR’s @ 23 and 34. And maybe we just don’t trade down considering that reality? 

They are not worth the #2 selection, both are very talented but if the Jets stay at 2 i would hope they take Sewell.

It's been proven over and over that the 1st receiver off the board has a good chance of not even being the best WR taken in the 1st round. Sammy Watkins, than after OBJ, Mike Evans, Cooks...

Last year is another prime example. Everyone was losing their mind over Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, and the guy replacing Diggs in Minnesota ends up having the best year and looks like a probowler already.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

They are not worth the #2 selection, both are very talented but if the Jets stay at 2 i would hope they take Sewell.

It's been proven over and over that the 1st receiver off the board has a good chance of not even being the best WR taken in the 1st round. Sammy Watkins, than after OBJ, Mike Evans, Cooks...

Last year is another prime example. Everyone was losing their mind over Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, and the guy replacing Diggs in Minnesota ends up having the best year and looks like a probowler already.

While watching the playoff games, my brother and I were looking up the top 10-15 receivers in fantasy this past year and remembering/guessing the rounds they were taken.

The overwhelming majority of them were taken in round 2. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

While watching the playoff games, my brother and I were looking up the top 10-15 receivers in fantasy this past year and remembering/guessing the rounds they were taken.

The overwhelming majority of them were taken in round 2. 

Diggs 5th rounder, Davante Adams 2nd rounder, Michael Thomas 2nd rounder, Tyreem Hill later round, Calvin Ridley 2nd rounder. List goes on and on. Jets dont need to be looking at WRs in round 1. At least not at 2 overall, depending on whos there at 23 that could be a good spot for WR.

Crowder, Mims with more experience, sign a WR like Kendrick Bourne, or Corey Davis, and draft a WR. That's a decent receiving group, get an actual TE and we are cooking.