Predict the outcome of a hypothetical trade for Deshaun Watson

Predict the outcome of a hypothetical trade for Deshaun Watson  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is the state of the New York Jets in 3-5 years?

• Perennial contender. Douglas, Saleh, and Watson steer the New York Jets into one of the top teams in the NFL. Division titles and one or more Superbowls are a legitimate possibility.
    • Mediocrity. Saleh and Watson turn the New York Jets into an average team. Douglas does not do enough with the team's remaining resources to put the team over the top. They compete for playoff spots, but they are never a serious contender.
    • Failed rebuild. The trade for Watson has depleted the team's resources and ability to build a competitive team. An outlying playoff appearance is possible, but most people agree the Douglas, Saleh, and Watson experiment has failed. It's time to fire people and rebuild again.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Guys wouldn’t you be sad if the Jets traded for an elite quarterback entering his prime, but then the Texans drafted a really good guard and a #2 receiver with a couple of the picks we sent them? Really makes u think

It's so simple, one wonders why the Texans can't see it as clearly as you do.

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Watson trade would have to start with 2, 23, and 34 plus a 1st next season IMO, equivalent of 2 1sts and 2 2nds.  I mean yeah that’s a lot of bodies and possibly high end talent.

Key word there.

There is no "possibly" with Deshaun Watson. He is high end talent.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Who could possibly actually odds say he will suffer another major injury.

Since his rookie season Deshaun Watson has only missed one game.

Just about anyone playing in the NFL is at risk for a sudden major injury.

Methinks you just want to invent reasons not to like him.

• Upvote 2

Are the fans that are against this advocating for Darnold + Weaponzzz plan or the Drafting a QB @2 one?

I don't get it. The guy could have 10+ years playing at an extremely high level left and would instantly become the best QB we've had here maybe ever. How are either of the other 2 choices superior?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Hypothetical trade for Deshaun Watson:

#2 overall in 2021
Jets 1st round pick in 2022
1st round pick in 2023

Watson's salary cap numbers:

2021 - $15.94m
2022 - $40.40m
2023 - $42.40m
2024 - $34.70m
2025 - $32.00m

No

• Upvote 1

It’s tough to answer this.  Watson is a great player and top 5 QB.  I would trade the compensation we got for Adams and even include Darnold.  

To give up 3 first rounders with one of them being the second pick in this years draft seems steep.  This team has a LOT of holes to fill.  

Watson went 4-12 this past season because the Texans have a depleted roster.  The Jets also have a depleted roster.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you guys like the idea of being a perennial contender, this would be a great shortcut to getting there.  Watson led that horrid Texans' organization to a pair of division titles and a great postseason comeback win.

They even scored MORE points on offense in 2020 than they did in 2019, without DeAndre Hopkins.  That's pretty incredible, and proof he doesn't need a perfect roster around him to produce.

Would we stumble a bit in the first Watson season?  Maybe.  I think we could win 8-9 games that first year.  Luckily, Watson is only 25.  Many, many fun seasons would be ahead in this hypothetical.

I feel like “Annie” is that tomorrow is always a season away. I’d like to enjoy football again.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Guys wouldn’t you be sad if the Jets traded for an elite quarterback entering his prime, but then the Texans drafted a really good guard and a #2 receiver with a couple of the picks we sent them? Really makes u think

Imagine if they draft a really bad QB who is a really nice polite young man who you’d be happy for your daughter to date? #Regrets

3 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Jets’ fans obsession with draft picks reminds me of when Peter griffin chose the mystery box over a boat, hoping that the contents of said mystery box, could actually be a boat. 

This is a brilliant analogy. Thank you.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Are the fans that are against this advocating for Darnold + Weaponzzz plan or the Drafting a QB @2 one?

I don't get it. The guy could have 10+ years playing at an extremely high level left and would instantly become the best QB we've had here maybe ever. How are either of the other 2 choices superior?

Many fans would take a 1% chance at perfect over a 100% chance of “damn good.” In this case, an elite stud QB on a rookie deal is better than paying an elite stud QB market rate. Thus, keep chasing the dragon. Like Han Solo, Jets fans are all “never tell me the odds.”

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol. Why? Is that 1st round pick way down the road in 2023 gonna save us?

If JD can’t rebuild this team with a normal amount of picks, more aren’t going to save us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Are you supposed to be talking ? I included you in the trade ... I will cite you for tampering

We will have a legitimate offense for the first time since half a Favre. Sadly, Watson can’t fix the D although he can get them more time to rest and force the opposing offense to try to keep pace, which can help a little. We get Watson and the D becomes the team’s bigger problem. I predict more shootouts next year with Watson than in the last ten years of Jets football combined.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

We will have a legitimate offense for the first time since half a Favre. Sadly, Watson can’t fix the D although he can get them more time to rest and force the opposing offense to try to keep pace, which can help a little. We get Watson and the D becomes the team’s bigger problem. I predict more shootouts next year with Watson than in the last ten years of Jets football combined.

Favre wasn't good here, he puked up a lot of garbage time stats to make him and the O look better than they were.  

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

He def fell off the cliff after getting injured 

He wasn't very good before the supposed injury(which occurred in October by the way and he had his only good stretch of games after the injury).  He doesn't get a pass, he made his career playing through pain. He was good enough to play but he's didn't make necessary adjustments.  He never wanted to be here and played like it

• Upvote 1