Predict the outcome of a hypothetical trade for Deshaun Watson

Predict the outcome of a hypothetical trade for Deshaun Watson  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is the state of the New York Jets in 3-5 years?

• Perennial contender. Douglas, Saleh, and Watson steer the New York Jets into one of the top teams in the NFL. Division titles and one or more Superbowls are a legitimate possibility.
    • Mediocrity. Saleh and Watson turn the New York Jets into an average team. Douglas does not do enough with the team's remaining resources to put the team over the top. They compete for playoff spots, but they are never a serious contender.
    • Failed rebuild. The trade for Watson has depleted the team's resources and ability to build a competitive team. An outlying playoff appearance is possible, but most people agree the Douglas, Saleh, and Watson experiment has failed. It's time to fire people and rebuild again.

10 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Hypothetical trade for Deshaun Watson:

#2 overall in 2021
Jets 1st round pick in 2022
1st round pick in 2023

Watson's salary cap numbers:

2021 - $15.94m
2022 - $40.40m
2023 - $42.40m
2024 - $34.70m
2025 - $32.00m

It's actually:

2021 - $11m

2022 - $35m

2023 - $37m

2024 - $32m

2025 - $32m

There is a $5m signing bonus that is attributed to each year of the contract that does not transfer when a player is traded because the money has ready been paid out.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Why gamble with uncertainty when there is a pattern of consistency and greatness? Watson is a great player, anything else can be put to the side. The Texans have created this problem and can't blame an emotional and most important player for speaking his true sentiments.

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

The only question I have for Douglas is whether he thinks Watson will win us a Superbowl. If the answer is yes, do everything you can to get him and build around him. If not, live to fight another day. 

He's one of the best QB's in the league. If Douglas doesn't think he can win us a Super Bowl, I don't know who he would believe could. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Watson trade would have to start with 2, 23, and 34 plus a 1st next season IMO, equivalent of 2 1sts and 2 2nds.  I mean yeah that’s a lot of bodies and possibly high end talent.

I wouldnt pay that much and I dont think they will either

How many other teams have the draft capital and cap space to pay that much for him, then pay Watson?