How about Watson for Darnold?

16 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Not sure about our leverage, but he only costs 10.5 million on the cap next year. That's unreal and gives us huge cap flexibility to sign the best free agent WRs and Olineman.

It would be great, no doubt, but only if it doesn't kill the rebuild.  Detroit and Atlanta have very good quarterbacks who rarely make the playoffs.  Don't want to be one of those teams.

I don't think it's going to happen either way.  Saleh and LaFleur come from a program where Jimmy Garoppolo got them to the Super Bowl.  Do we even need a Watson type if the Shanahan system is based on zone blocking, tons of rushing yards, and play action?  If we can get 80% of the production out of Fields at 10% of Watson's price, isn't that the smarter move?  Garoppolo 2.0?

SAR I

4 hours ago, prime21 said:

Three number ones is a great deal for Watson especially when you have multiple picks.
If Jamal is worth 2 then Watson is worth???!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It’s amazing how many people think Watson is just going to be given away.

Your post is on point. In the box safety netted two first rounders. 25 year old franchise QBs might cost a little bit more than that....just a little

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Plus a first to Houston in 22? Somebody was mentioning 3 first round picks for Watson. I like Watson but 3 ones is too much. I would rather sit at 2 and draft Wilson or Fields. But Houston might be interested in Darnold as a sweetener for their loss. They may think Darnold has some upside still and could develop with a better cast around him.

Personally, considering Darnold's potential away from Adam Gase, I'd offer then Sam Darnold and a 3rd for Watson and their 2nd round pick.

• Haha 2

Plus a first to Houston in 22? Somebody was mentioning 3 first round picks for Watson. I like Watson but 3 ones is too much. I would rather sit at 2 and draft Wilson or Fields. But Houston might be interested in Darnold as a sweetener for their loss. They may think Darnold has some upside still and could develop with a better cast around him.

Throw in Ross Travis and you have a deal.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

The deal is Watson for Fields. That’s all it needs to be.  They need Fields more than we need Watson. We have the leverage here. 

We get their troubled, expensive, injury-plagued veteran, they get the top available collegiate prospect. They get to recruit Daboll, they get to sell season tickets and sell a valid reset to their fanbase. 

SAR I

Yes, that would be the deal.  Why fans want to mortgage the future with multiple 1st round draft picks, when in fact that deal would solve so many of Houston's problems is baffling to me.  Get a young stud QB on a rookie deal, and not doling out $30M per year for multiple years and saving cap space for building up the team is payment enough.  Perhaps too much, but I would have to make that deal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, QB1 said:

It’s actually the opposite 

the only people convinced that the jets are replacing Darnold are jets fans 

That’s because Darnold and the Jets are so unwatchable any fans outside the Jets local TV area haven’t seen him play.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Darnold is done, if you go check the temperature of other fan bases the consensus is the jets are either going Watson or QB at 2. Really nobody believes the “Jets May build around darnold” narrative, the only people that legitimately believe this are Darnold fans. 

If you remove biases from this situation and analyze all factors, it’s kinda obvious how this thing plays out imo 

Imagine using the "temperature of other fan bases" as a basis for your info. 

I chuckled. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Now just imagine a Texans fan reading this...

You should see what some of them are saying.  Just as bad the other way.

The reason I like the Jets 4 1st RD picks is that gives the Texans 5 1st RD picks in 2 years. 

I want Jets (2) 1st RD picks in 2021 and (2) 1st RD picks in 2022 and whatever else we can get.

Or my absolute favorite:

Nope. I am interested in negotiating only with the top three teams. Would pretty much rule out Jags As they should be set with Trevor Lawrence.

Jets: 1.2 + 1.23 + LT Mekhi Becton + DE Quennin Williams + 3.66 and 3.87

2022 rounds 1 and 2

Which is exactly how some posters here would be in the same situation.  If there's a trade...any trade...there are going to be some mighty unhappy fans on both sides.

• Haha 2

Darnold is done, if you go check the temperature of other fan bases the consensus is the jets are either going Watson or QB at 2. Really nobody believes the “Jets May build around darnold” narrative, the only people that legitimately believe this are Darnold fans. 

If you remove biases from this situation and analyze all factors, it’s kinda obvious how this thing plays out imo 

I used to think that.  I'm not so sure anymore.

No way we deal that much for Watson, that's crazy. If you can't get him for Morgan and a 6, is it really worth it?

Let's trade Nathan Shepard and a first to the Rams for Aaron Donald.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

Imagine using the "temperature of other fan bases" as a basis for your info. 

I chuckled. 

Imagine using “sources” as the basis for your respect on a forum. Imagine gaining credibility by stating the obvious and everyone upholds you as a true “insider” 

when you come around post as if you are more informed than anyone on this site, I also chuckled.

Now is this the part when you cry because I challenged your credibility and tag the mods on me? 

you should really find some business ?

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

OMG... wait for it... I'm actually going to agree with you...  This debate is on and on and on, but never thought about it this way. They are essentially getting Fields as well with our #2. So I might spice it up a bit with another pick, but that's it.

And for those who are saying if Adams was worth 2 1st's and a 3rd, what is Watson worth... Well sometimes you get over on a GM, and sometimes you don't. I'm not going to sit here and say Sneider is stupid, but that was a stupid deal, and he's the only one that made it. I'm sure JD had other deals he wasn't willing to do, and then walla, along came that deal. So no Watson is not worth 3 1st's...  I'd rather take Fields and keep our picks.

Doesn’t work that way you double dipping sonuvagun

• Haha 1

The only opinion that matters is the Jets front office and what they deem best for the club.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

The deal is Watson for Fields. That’s all it needs to be.  They need Fields more than we need Watson. We have the leverage here. 

We get their troubled, expensive, injury-plagued veteran, they get the top available collegiate prospect. They get to recruit Daboll, they get to sell season tickets and sell a valid reset to their fanbase. 

SAR I

They could also swap with Miami and get Tua and two 1st rd. picks (21 & 22)

Better than the Darnold fantasy I’m hearing from others. 

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Fixed.

The fans are not going to want anything but keeping their franchise QB. Period. Stop.

Certainly.  But let's discuss what the next-best scenario is, and that is a trade with the New York Jets to get Justin Fields which also comes with the leverage to get someone like Daboll to be excited about the Texans opening instead of staying in Buffalo.  It's not Watson for Fields straight up.  It's Watson for Fields + Daboll.  That's a very fair trade indeed.

And don't forget, unlike the Texans, the Jets aren't desperate.  We can stay with Fields, build around him, trade Darnold, and use our existing glut of picks to fix everything else on the team right-quick.  Hell, that sounds like the better option to me, why mess with it?  If the Texans weren't a-holes, we wouldn't be talking about Watson and giving away a ton of draft capital at all.  

If the Texans want Fields + Daboll, they need to meet our terms, not the other way around.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

They could also swap with Miami and get Tua and two 1st rd. picks (21 & 22)

Better than the Darnold fantasy I’m hearing from others. 

Tua is damaged goods, he had a season-long tryout and his own teammates were begging for Fitzpatrick of all people.  He's not a prototypical quarterback package and he doesn't do anything special.  It's why the Dolphins want out.

Tell me, if the Dolphins wanted to trade Tua to the Jets for the #2 pick in the draft, would you do it?  Hells no.  That's why the Texans can't do it either.  Tua isn't going to get Texans fans excited enough to re-up for season tickets after a pandemic.  These are Astros fans, remember?  They know a thing or two about high-caliber play from their professional sports teams.  The promise of Fields + Daboll is their best outcome.  And only the Jets can provide it.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

Fans are setting themselves up to be let down with the Deshaun Watson hysteria. Would it be great? Yes. Deshaun is an elite, franchise QB. Do I think it happens? No. I think there's a greater chance he remains in Houston, is traded to Miami, or traded to Carolina. 

I think Watson would approve a trade to New York, but I don't see the Jets matching the type of offer Carolina or Miami would make because Joe Douglas's stance that the roster needs a lot of work to build a sustainable winner; he's not going to give up 3 1st round picks+ for any player. Even if all 3 were to make offers and they were somewhat similar, Deshaun would have power where he goes via the no-trade clause (and given the status of the Dolphins/Panthers rosters its hard to see him pass up those opportunities for the Jets) and the Texans would likely prefer to send him out of the AFC. 

If he gets traded, I think he'll end up in Carolina. They have a roster stacked with talent, a bold owner who will work to get the deal done, a window to become the top team in the division (Brees retiring, Brady 1-2 more years), a stabilized culture, and a new GM who made a name for himself for his involvement in brokering blockbuster trades. Keep in mind, since Pete Carroll arrived in 2010 the team has traded away 6 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks... if there was a team out there who would consider sending 4 1st round picks, I think it would be the Panthers. 

It would be gross to see Watson playing in Miami for the next 15 years knowing we had a shot to get him

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

It won’t be that simple, we’d probably have to give them Fields (2021 #2 pick) + Darnold (2018 #3 pick, at a cost of a #1 and 3x #2's) + One 1st (2021 #23 Pick), but none of this ‘three first round picks’ nonsense. 

SAR I

FYP.

And no, the Texans won't do that deal, because if they want Fields, they don't need Darnold.

It will 3x #1's as the starting point minimum for the Texans, or the deal won't happen.

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

What would you guys rather build around:

1) Rookie QB + 2021 1st Rounder + 2022 1st Rounder + 2022 1st Rounder
2) Sam Darnold + 2021 1st Rounder + 2021 1st Rounder + 2022 1st Rounder + 2022 1st Rounder
3) Deshaun Watson + 2021 1st Rounder + 2022 1st Rounder

Someone educate me on the Shanahan / LaFleur offense and I can answer this question.

I might be wrong, but isn't it about zone blocking turning no-name running backs into all-pro's and a game-manager quarterback making smart reads and making quick, short throws?  If Garoppolo could get Salah and LaFleur to the Super Bowl, can't Fields or (gulp) Darnold?  Do we need a Watson if we are playing small ball and aren't running a home run offense?

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Someone educate me on the Shanahan / LaFleur offense and I can answer this question.

I might be wrong, but isn't it about zone blocking turning no-name running backs into all-pro's and a game-manager quarterback making smart reads and making quick, short throws?  If Garoppolo could get Salah and LaFleur to the Super Bowl, can't Fields or (gulp) Darnold?

SAR I

So imagine with Watson!

1 hour ago, vic said:

Please, no Watson! Douglas will build a strong team with all the draft picks he accumulated, giving them all away for one man, no matter how good, doesn’t make sense. If he thinks Darnold can be fixed and thrive in a new system, trade down and acquire even more picks, if not ,Wilson looks like a great option. In that case trade Darnold for a second, forget about Watson, let another team mortgage their future.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Giving them all away? Who said anything about giving them all away? 

Would it be better to give the #2 pick "away" for an unproven college player that could be a bust? That's what you are doing when you take Wilson at 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

FYP.

And no, the Texans won't do that deal, because if they want Fields, they don't need Darnold.

It will 3x #1's as the starting point minimum for the Texans, or the deal won't happen.

If the Texans want Fields and, by extension, an elite head coaching prospect like Daboll, the trade will be on our terms, not theirs.

The Jets can stay put and do just fine.  We were all excited about Saleh, LaFleur, and Fields/Wilson just a few days ago.  Nothing has changed other than we may have the option to upgrade at quarterback *if* it doesn't cripple the rebuild necessary on D, OL, etc.

The only thing putting me in the Watson camp at all is the threat of the Dolphins getting him, maybe the Patriots.  In that context, if he's there we must get him so we don't have to watch him help our AFCE competitors take our playoff spot.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

Fans are setting themselves up to be let down with the Deshaun Watson hysteria. Would it be great? Yes. Deshaun is an elite, franchise QB. Do I think it happens? No. I think there's a greater chance he remains in Houston, is traded to Miami, or traded to Carolina. 

I think Watson would approve a trade to New York, but I don't see the Jets matching the type of offer Carolina or Miami would make because Joe Douglas's stance that the roster needs a lot of work to build a sustainable winner; he's not going to give up 3 1st round picks+ for any player. Even if all 3 were to make offers and they were somewhat similar, Deshaun would have power where he goes via the no-trade clause (and given the status of the Dolphins/Panthers rosters its hard to see him pass up those opportunities for the Jets) and the Texans would likely prefer to send him out of the AFC. 

If he gets traded, I think he'll end up in Carolina. They have a roster stacked with talent, a bold owner who will work to get the deal done, a window to become the top team in the division (Brees retiring, Brady 1-2 more years), a stabilized culture, and a new GM who made a name for himself for his involvement in brokering blockbuster trades. Keep in mind, since Pete Carroll arrived in 2010 the team has traded away 6 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks... if there was a team out there who would consider sending 4 1st round picks, I think it would be the Panthers. 

This. If the Jets don't get him, the next best thing is him getting traded to the NFC. Miami getting him would be a nightmare lol. 

I wonder if the Jets could work around something like giving up the #2 pick this year, one of the 1st round picks next year, 2023 1st round pick, and Darnold for Watson? That's 3 1st round picks total (including the #2 this year) and Darnold. I wonder if that could work for both sides. Jets would still own a 1st round pick this year and next. 

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

My sources have very little to do with my football intellect. I can't control how others perceive me; whether it's with respect or detest, I can only share what I know and could care less what others think. You challenging my credibility means very little to me, but for the sake of entertainment, I'll welcome you into the lions den. 

First and foremost, congratulations. I've never seen someone commit so many logical fallacies (9) using so little words (138). 

As far as actually contributing something of substance, I can walk circles around you on any topic RE: football without the use of a single source. I think you're uninformed not because you lack a source/I have them, but because of the incredibly stupid things you post. I don't think you understand what you are watching, and I think your rationale is incredibly fallacious and quite frankly, dumb. Taking the "temperature of other fan bases" as a basis to determine what you think will happen is the most brain-dead thing I've ever read.

Anyway, I own my own business in addition to being a lawyer. I think I'm doing just fine. 

detest isn't a noun

• Sympathy 1