Robby Anderson reveals miserable experience with Jets

Bronx

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Who knows if he didn't want to throw anyone under the bus right away. Maybe he held his discontentment all this time. Both Crapal Adams and him voiced the same sentiments. 

The bottom line is that we needed him. He could have provided a lot of help to Sam and things could have been different. 

JD has a vision of high character individuals, but a 52-men roster full of saints can only be found in the Vatican. JD blew it and it cost the team heavily.

Needed him for what exactly?  To win 3 games instead of 2?  Robbie Anderson was going to be the difference between a successful season and the horrible season the Jets just had? He's a middle of the road WR 2.    In the end, the 2 win season provided a much needed reset and rebuild with a new culture and a new coaching staff.  I would rather be where the Jets are today than coming off a 6-7 win season with Adams, Anderson, Bell ..... and Gase.  Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to change things. The most important play in Giants history may have been the worst - the Joe Pisarcik fumble vs the Eagles in 1978. It led to a house cleaning and brought in George Young, who brought in Parcells and now the Giants - who have the same ownership and who were garbage  and an NFL joke in the 70s - have 4 SBs and are considered NFL royalty.  Let's hope with Douglas and Saleh the Jets are on a similar path.  I'd rather have Douglas and Saleh and a WR to be named later than Gase and Anderson. End of story.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Needed him for what exactly?  To win 3 games instead of 2?  Robbie Anderson was going to be the difference between a successful season and the horrible season the Jets just had? He's a middle of the road WR 2.    In the end, the 2 win season provided a much needed reset and rebuild with a new culture and a new coaching staff.  I would rather be where the Jets are today than coming off a 6-7 win season with Adams, Anderson, Bell ..... and Gase.  Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to change things. The most important play in Giants history may have been the worst - the Joe Pisarcik fumble vs the Eagles in 1978. It led to a house cleaning and brought in George Young, who brought in Parcells and now the Giants - who have the same ownership and who were garbage  and an NFL joke in the 70s - have 4 SBs and are considered NFL royalty.  Let's hope with Douglas and Saleh the Jets are on a similar path.  I'd rather have Douglas and Saleh and a WR to be named later than Gase and Anderson. End of story.

.. "...I'd rather have Douglas and Saleh and a WR to be named later than Gase and Anderson. End of story. "

agreed !   ?

28 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How many of.our WRs reached the 1k mark? Crowder, Mims and Anderson would have been a nicer combo.

The NFL is toxic to players.  All you have to do is look at the model of how the owners are treated and how the players are treated.  The owners don't compete, there is no survival of the fittest.  The players are in a hyper competitive environment where careers are short and it's next man up if your performance falls off or you're injured.  It's an extremely high stress job where the reality of a short career bumps up against contracts.  It's a job that depends on 3 hours of controlled violence and adrenaline followed by meetings, workouts, diet and very little time to really blow off steam.  Most players wash out in a few years, physically and mentally damaged for the rest of their lives.  

FYI head trauma often causes depression and lots of NFL players have lots of head trauma going back to high school football.  

We fans view it as a privilege to make millions to play a kids game.  Most of us, even those in great shape who were top end athletes wouldn't last a week.  

Robbie made it to the big time, I suspect it's a high pressure filled environment full of lots of pain management.  Pretty toxic.  You either have the mental makeup to deal or you don't.  That's not a knock on Robbie or Jamal who on a very human level showed cracks in their mental armor.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The NFL is toxic to players.  All you have to do is look at the model of how the owners are treated and how the players are treated.  The owners don't compete, there is no survival of the fittest.  The players are in a hyper competitive environment where careers are short and it's next man up if your performance falls off or you're injured.  It's an extremely high stress job where the reality of a short career bumps up against contracts.  It's a job that depends on 3 hours of controlled violence and adrenaline followed by meetings, workouts, diet and very little time to really blow off steam.  Most players wash out in a few years, physically and mentally damaged for the rest of their lives.  

FYI head trauma often causes depression and lots of NFL players have lots of head trauma going back to high school football.  

We fans view it as a privilege to make millions to play a kids game.  Most of us, even those in great shape who were top end athletes wouldn't last a week.  

Robbie made it to the big time, I suspect it's a high pressure filled environment full of lots of pain management.  Pretty toxic.  You either have the mental makeup to deal or you don't.  That's not a knock on Robbie or Jamal who on a very human level showed cracks in their mental armor.  

Since you bring this up, this is a great book that references your concerns. 

Screenshot_20210119-130832.png

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’m with Robby on this one. The Jets are depressing as ****.

Yeah I don't get all the posters slamming Robbie and supporting the Jets organization.  Every player who gets out has a story of turmoil and misery.  Ladanian Tomlinson, Robbie, Jamal, Bell, Avery Williamson...a ton of others, they were all happier when they left the building for good.  Some teams still have a semblance or pride and fan appreciation, a culture attached to region in which the team plays and practices.  Green Bay, Pittsburg, Seattle,  Atlanta, Chicago...but the Jets?  Business.  Business model, business structure, completely corporate mentality.  Priced out the fans, didn't care.  Hire and fire on a regular two-to-three year cycle.  Cheap out on the ugly stadium, share the bill and still charge exorbitant PSL's.  Fail, fire, rinse repeat.  I can't blame the players for running for the hills.  Hopefully Saleh and company change things up here.  But I fear its a culture built from the top, and only when the Johnson's change their philosophies or sell the team will the jets be a real franchise.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Yeah I don't get all the posters slamming Robbie and supporting the Jets organization.  Every player who gets out has a story of turmoil and misery.  Ladanian Tomlinson, Robbie, Jamal, Bell, Avery Williamson...a ton of others, they were all happier when they left the building for good.  Some teams still have a semblance or pride and fan appreciation, a culture attached to region in which the team plays and practices.  Green Bay, Pittsburg, Seattle,  Atlanta, Chicago...but the Jets?  Business.  Business model, business structure, completely corporate mentality.  Priced out the fans, didn't care.  Hire and fire on a regular two-to-three year cycle.  Cheap out on the ugly stadium, share the bill and still charge exorbitant PSL's.  Fail, fire, rinse repeat.  I can't blame the players for running for the hills.  Hopefully Saleh and company change things up here.  But I fear its a culture built from the top, and only when the Johnson's change their philosophies or sell the team will the jets be a real franchise.

At least they brought cheerleaders.

23 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

those people are all wrong, What do they know? 

they don't know the Johnsons like I do 

they are gonna spend that 100 million, change the uniforms to something not terrible, create a GM-HC reporting structure, not sell out the fans every chance he gets 

Woody is a spry 73 he's totally going to change his ways 

i'm sure of it 

at least that's the way it plays out in my Madden simulations

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's the result, not the plan.

The plan was to get a good look at Darnold to get a better evaluation of him than he'd had in his first year with Gase. That's why he did an overhaul of the OL; he didn't know Mosley was sitting out the season back in the spring; it's why he didn't dump Adams before the draft and instead waited until Seattle impossibly came forward with their ridiculous offer, why he didn't cut Williamson as soon as he was medically cleared, etc.

If he was tanking he could have - and would have - signed 2 fewer linemen and told Gase to throw Edoga out there. Certainly wouldn't have given Fant $9MM when Beachum could have been retained at 90% less than that.

In terms of results in hindsight, sure there are advantages to have a 98% collapse than a 93% collapse. Leads to a cleaning house with the coaches, and yes there's a better draft pick (which may be a dealmaker if we can somehow land Watson), etc.

But it's never good to see the GM exhibit what he feels is excellent judgment and it turns out otherwise:

• Perriman over Anderson was lousy judgment (particularly when he had a great opportunity to extend him before his late-season stats surge, when he was tweeting how he wanted to stay here & was posting excited reactions to not getting traded at the 2019 deadline). 
  • Also not extending AND not trading Anderson was stupid judgment. If you're not going to extend him then take the free 4th round pick ffs. Make him an extension offer and if Anderson turns it down then trade him and get something in return.
  • Fant over Conklin was lousy judgment
  • Drafting a QB in round 4, who'd be given no chance to grow into a starter, and drafting him to presumably just to block NE from getting him, was lousy judgment
  • The mess with Osemele was lousy judgment (IR'ing him would have sufficed); you only fight these labor agreement battles if you're 100% certain you'll win

I'm still very hopeful for him as a GM (and I'd let him pick a HC a million times out of a million over the Johnson bros), but not re-signing (and not trading) Anderson was not an example of smart planning even if it indirectly leads to good eventual results -- more like pulling a Homer: to succeed despite idiocy.

homerdefined.jpg?w=290&h=231

Guys like Robby Anderson and Jamal Adams are going to miss out IMO.  They were here during the dark days.

The timing of their departures from the Jets was like abandoning a stock at a low price because you just couldn't stand watching it continue to go down, but just before it makes its turnaround and charges higher.  Those guys left just as the Jets were hitting rock bottom but before the turnaround starts.

Guys getting in now just as Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh get to work will be the real winners.  The leaders here are going to build something sustainable, I can feel it.

Onward and upward, Jets fans!

Sledding Lets Go GIF by INTO ACTION

I am happy for Robby, he was pretty immature when he got here. He has grown a lot, and proven that he can hold up and produce. I didn't think he would hold up physically. Dude can fly and catches everything in sight. If he was here last year the Jets might have won another game or two so it kind of worked out for both sides. But I don't wish him ill just because he isn't here anymore. The kid that was throwing his helmet on the field matured and he deserved to get paid. Good for him.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think growing up a bit & doing self reflection was what he did say.

Not being happy all the time could just be an ineloquent/clumsy way of saying he was unhappy a lot. It doesn't mean he expected every minute of his life to be filled with nothing but constant joy, nor that he is happy every minute of every day now. 

It was just bad phrasing imo.

Sure, and I'm looking at it through ex jets shaded glasses.

• Haha 1