Jump to content

It’s Watson or Wilson


Recommended Posts

Given all the speculation regarding Watson, I just don’t see how Douglas can come back with Darnold starting next year.  The fan base is all jazzed up for a new QB and there would be significant blowback if Darnold was the starter.  If we don’t trade for Watson, I’m guessing Wilson will be the pick but only after Douglas and his people put out a lot of good stuff about him.  They will talk him up a great deal.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go.

With the No. 2 overall pick 66.6% chance it's Justin Fields 33.3% chance it's Deshaun Watson  0.01% chance it's Zach Wilson   

Two issues with that plan: either you believe Jets will be in a position to take one of the top QBs next year which means you already know Sam will suck so why waste another year, or we’d need to trad

Posted Images

This response isn't directed at OP, but I sure wish there was a Ven Diagram available to show the overlay of poster opinions on the 4 various QB options.  There has got to be some crazy preference combinations based on what I've read on this board. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Given all the speculation regarding Watson, I just don’t see how Douglas can come back with Darnold starting next year.  The fan base is all jazzed up for a new QB and there would be significant blowback if Darnold was the starter.  If we don’t trade for Watson, I’m guessing Wilson will be the pick but only after Douglas and his people put out a lot of good stuff about him.  They will talk him up a great deal.

If Watson isn't traded, or if he goes for an insane package like 3 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds, then I don't think Douglas can be fairly second-guessed on not making that deal.  Only if he goes for a Hopkins-like deal to someone else should the media and fan-base go nuts, and rightly so.

Barring that, the only question then becomes Fields, Wilson or Darnold.  I am still leaning Fields as the better prospect than Wilson and by a fair margin.  I think looking back two years is important, and while Burrow is a glaring exception, I think I trust 2020 stats overall far less than I do 2019 and previous years.  Just based on that, I don't trust Wilson enough to take him at #2.  But that's really a debate for another thread.

Although many will be disappointed (understatement alert!) if we don't make a big splash at QB, I am content to see what the new regime has in mind.  And no matter what I think now, I will be 100% excited to see that first snap on offense with at least some shiny new tools in the box.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line is if Watson get traded and it’s not to the Jets (and it’s not because Watson said no to NY... which he won’t), it’s an F minus minus for Douglas. Like eject this kid from school right now type of fail

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Sam is done but I don’t think it will be Wilson, my guess is Fields or Watson. 
 

I think Miami will get Watson though  because of the reports they were willing to give Cincinnati three 1st round picks for Joe Burrow. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Bottom line is if Watson get traded and it’s not to the Jets (and it’s not because Watson said no to NY... which he won’t), it’s an F minus minus for Douglas. Like eject this kid from school right now type of fail

Houston will want both 1st round picks + some.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I say it’s either Darnold and a trade down or Watson.

No one can even agree on who the #2 QB is in this draft.

If Watson is okay with coming here and you can obtain him without giving up all 4 1st round picks over the next two years, then you make it happen.

If not, then I think the Jets stick with Darnold, trade down with a team that is in love with Sewell or one of the other QB’s, and we further add to the slew of picks we have over the next two years and take someone like Kwity Paye or one of the top wideouts in the 5-10 range.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Houston will want both 1st round picks + some.

IMO they can have them. Watson had Chad Hansen putting up solid numbers, imagine what he’d do with Perriman, Mims, and Crowder. He’s the type of QB that raises the level of play of everybody around him, so things that look like wild needs right now will be less of a need with a guy like him playing QB, but we’d still have money in free agency to upgrade on the OL and WR 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

With the No. 2 overall pick

66.6% chance it's Justin Fields

33.3% chance it's Deshaun Watson 

0.01% chance it's Zach Wilson 

 

50/50 Wilson or Watson.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

IMO they can have them. Watson had Chad Hansen putting up solid numbers, imagine what he’d do with Perriman, Mims, and Crowder. He’s the type of QB that raises the level of play of everybody around him, so things that look like wild needs right now will be less of a need with a guy like him playing QB, but we’d still have money in free agency to upgrade on the OL and WR 

Watson also brings instant credibility to the franchise for free agency recruiting. 

Jets need an upgrade at WR - should be at least one shake loose in FA. Right now they can sell the Shanahan offense #1 role, Saleh, and...question marks at QB. You switch the question marks to Watson and that’s a really, really strong pitch for Robinson, Golladay, Godwin - whoever ends up on the open market.

And that’s one example. But it really changes a lot for the franchise, IMO. Just building on the positive momentum from Douglas and Saleh. Watson brings it home.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jgb said:

Two issues with that plan: either you believe Jets will be in a position to take one of the top QBs next year which means you already know Sam will suck so why waste another year, or we’d need to trade up to get the guy we want, which means someone needs to be willing to trade down and we need to be able to stomach the price. If you’re sure about Wilson/Fields/someone else in this draft, why delay?

Maybe the whole Jets team will suck in 2021?  Take a look at the roster and think about all the holes that need to be filled - do you really think Watson/Fields/another Qb makes this team any better than 6-8 wins?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

If they love one of the QBs, they should take him at #2. If they don't, they shouldn't. 

I think Jet fans need to get ready for the return of Darnold, though. Sure, it could be a ploy to maintain his trade value, but I think we're getting all these leaks and reports about the new staff's love of Darnold because Joe Douglas and the organization understand that starting him another year will result in some serious backlash - and they're trying to head it off. 

If the Jets trade down to #12, for example, that would probably net a first and second this year, as well as firsts in 2022 & 2023, giving them three firsts next year and two the following year. That's a lot of ammo should they decide they want/need to trade up for a QB next year. If Sam sucks as much as you and many fans believe he does/will, they won't need to trade up far. 

Watson is an interesting option, but I just don't see Joe Douglas trading three first round picks for the right to pay him $35M/year. That's taking a huge chunk of his team building assets and using them to acquire just a single player. The man seems all about value to me, so I just don't see that. 

Now, if he can pull off a DeAndre Hopkins type deal from the Texans... ? I'd expect him to pounce. 

Makes for interesting discussion. 

No problem passing on a QB as long as the reason isn’t “we want to give Darnold another chance.”

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peebag said:

Maybe the whole Jets team will suck in 2021?  Take a look at the roster and think about all the holes that need to be filled - do you really think Watson/Fields/another Qb makes this team any better than 6-8 wins?

 

When you start piling up maybes, you stray further and further from likely. Besides, this team picks top 2 again next year and JD is outta here. If he likes one of the QBs, you take him when you’re in a position to and you need one. What is certain is we have the #2 and will have our pick minus Lawrence. If he doesn’t like them, he ain’t betting his career on Darnold and will at least acquire a strong hedge. Jets are in the QB market this off season one way or another. I’d prefer to get the guy you want now rather then stopgap it and then look for that guy again next year. Seems like paying twice to address the same problem.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

With the No. 2 overall pick

66.6% chance it's Justin Fields

33.3% chance it's Deshaun Watson 

0.01% chance it's Zach Wilson 

 

i like making up numbers as well 

the number 2 overall pick is going to be Penei Sewell 

100%

the only question is will the Jets take that player or will they trade the pick to someone else who wants him

 

 

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derp said:

Watson also brings instant credibility to the franchise for free agency recruiting. 

Jets need an upgrade at WR - should be at least one shake loose in FA. Right now they can sell the Shanahan offense #1 role, Saleh, and...question marks at QB. You switch the question marks to Watson and that’s a really, really strong pitch for Robinson, Golladay, Godwin - whoever ends up on the open market.

And that’s one example. But it really changes a lot for the franchise, IMO. Just building on the positive momentum from Douglas and Saleh. Watson brings it home.

Watson may bring instant credibility to the franchise, but the franchise has no instant credibility to give back.

If you watched Russel Wilson sink in the playoffs because the Hawks can't afford an OL, then imagine what will happen with the Jets.  Hawks roster is a hell of a lot stronger than the Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Given all the speculation regarding Watson, I just don’t see how Douglas can come back with Darnold starting next year.  The fan base is all jazzed up for a new QB and there would be significant blowback if Darnold was the starter.  If we don’t trade for Watson, I’m guessing Wilson will be the pick but only after Douglas and his people put out a lot of good stuff about him.  They will talk him up a great deal.

This is a frightening thought.  Our GM is supposed to take a poll of the fan base before he decides his trading or drafting decisions?  Is this the road that other successful NFL teams have followed?

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Given all the speculation regarding Watson, I just don’t see how Douglas can come back with Darnold starting next year.  The fan base is all jazzed up for a new QB and there would be significant blowback if Darnold was the starter.  If we don’t trade for Watson, I’m guessing Wilson will be the pick but only after Douglas and his people put out a lot of good stuff about him.  They will talk him up a great deal.

Good GMs dont make trades or draft picks because of what gets the fanbase, on the internet, jazzed up.  

He does what he thinks is best for the team 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, addage said:

Watson may bring instant credibility to the franchise, but the franchise has no instant credibility to give back.

If you watched Russel Wilson sink in the playoffs because the Hawks can't afford an OL, then imagine what will happen with the Jets.  Hawks roster is a hell of a lot stronger than the Jets.

You just said Seattle's offensive line is terrible. Their defense is also terrible. The run game works because Wilson puts pressure on defenses downfield. They've got two good receivers, to be sure. But their roster isn't that great. It's aging defensively and built around Wilson, Lockett, and Metcalf on offense.

Also, the Jets have a ton of cap space to improve the team in an offseason that a lot of teams will be in cap trouble. Ideally having a legitimate quarterback guys want to play with would reduce the need to overpay.

There are certainly benefits to building through the draft as well. Cost is certainly a factor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, addage said:

Watson may bring instant credibility to the franchise, but the franchise has no instant credibility to give back.

If you watched Russel Wilson sink in the playoffs because the Hawks can't afford an OL, then imagine what will happen with the Jets.  Hawks roster is a hell of a lot stronger than the Jets.

Watson is a 4-5 WAR type player. His talent alone on offense will allow FA upgrades to the OL and a #1 WR (FA players will want to come). FA studs like Thuney and Robinson don’t want to be in a rebuild or play with Darnold. 
 

Defense will be better with Mosley, QW and a #1 CB (FA). A stud at all 3 levels and an aggressive new coach. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It’s Watson or Wilson

I think it's Watson or trade down actually.

If the Jets want to change the QB then I think it will be for a sure thing like Watson.  It could be that in the minds of guys like Douglas and Saleh they may think someone like Wilson is as much of a lottery ticket as a guy like Darnold.  If that's the case they roll with Darnold and build the roster through the Draft.

Saleh has watched the Shanahan system succeed with guys like Garrapolo, Mullens and CJ Beathard when the surrounding parts have been good and the running game is strong.  I think he feels like Darnold is better than he's shown the past two years under Gase.  And if not, then Saleh has also seen that trading a 2nd round pick can get you a guy like Garrapolo who can get you to a Super Bowl.  With two 1st round picks in 2022, I think the Jets wouldn't mind seeing how Darnold does in 2021 in a new system with better personnel.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the number 2 overall pick is going to be Penei Sewell 

100%

I know you're big on Penei, but drafting him #2 overall IS NOT happening. The opportunity cost is too great for Joe to pass on a quarterback with his first draft pick in 2021, and there are no guarantees we're in the position to select one in the future without having to cough up more picks to move up to get one like they did in 2018 for Darnold. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I know you're big on Penei, but drafting him #2 overall IS NOT happening. The opportunity cost is too great for Joe to pass on a quarterback in 2021, and there are no guarantees we're in the position to select one in the future without having to cough up more picks to move up to get one like they did in 2018  to get Darnold. 

i see the exact opposite

the downside risk of JD busting on a Fields or Wilson at 2 means Joe Douglas has to pull his kids out of school and put his home on the market

the Jets are only going to give him one swing at QB1, we all know it 

Sewell is not going to bust there is no "firing" downside and they are ready for the next QB swing, which yes he eventually will have to take 

he's just not that desperate to tie his fate to that player just yet 

side note Aaron Rodgers went 24, Tom Brady went rd 6 (free agency), Josh Allen went 5 overall and Mahomes went 10 

none of those teams used 2 overall on QB or felt they had to use 1 or 2 to get a QB or that was that 

your opportunity cost is also a bit of a mirage because it assumes the only place to get QBs is in the top 2 picks of the draft

when the anecdotal evidence points the other way teams find guys once they build a program not the opposite draft a guy and expect that 21 year old rookie to build his own plane while the thing is flying through the air 

that's pretty much what happened to Sam Darnold, just now. the Jets drafted this guy and expected the QB1 to make everything better just by showing up 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Joe and Robert want to build this roster b4 adding the qb, i have no problem signing beathered and letting him and morgan battle it out in camp.

 

Trade darnold for a 2nd.  Then make sure u pick up a 1 next year in a trade down.  This gives is 3 ones in the 2022 nfl draft to go get a wb.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...