It’s Watson or Wilson

BettyBoop

6 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Why is Wilson ahead of Fields in your percentages?... Because the Jets are more likely to make the wrong decision?

Because Wilson fits the Shanahan WCO better?

Because thats the reason Wilson is supposedly high on SFs wish list?

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I say it’s either Darnold and a trade down or Watson.

No one can even agree on who the #2 QB is in this draft.

If Watson is okay with coming here and you can obtain him without giving up all 4 1st round picks over the next two years, then you make it happen.

If not, then I think the Jets stick with Darnold, trade down with a team that is in love with Sewell or one of the other QB’s, and we further add to the slew of picks we have over the next two years and take someone like Kwity Paye or one of the top wideouts in the 5-10 range.

I think I agree.  Hearing the reports before the Watson drama that the organization/coaching staff was high seemed to come from strong sources.  I dont know what it means when it comes to trading for a player like Watson but I think the most likely scenario is we trade down and give Sam another run, as much as I hate to say it.  That said, if we can get Watson for a 1st every for the next 3 and keep the Seattle picks, do it. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Two things:

1. I agree Fields has the much better resume in my humble opinion and I would not puke if we took him.... Wilson on the other hand might cause some reflux.

2. You love stirring the pot ... You know what I'm talking about .... Didn't this cause a flurry of misinterpretation last time.... If your intent is to stir the s*** pot and cause a s***storm I like your style and salute you.

george c scott salute GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

girl smile GIF

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

I seriously doubt that they would have hired a guy like Knapp unless 1) keeping Sam or2) drafting a guy at#2.  Also, continue to think that the organization is way higher on James Morgan than most people here are.

another point is the type of offense being projected by lafleur is one that takes advantage of darnolds strengths and even watsons should they try to go that route.  i also think douglas has a higher opinion of morgan than some may think.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Given all the speculation regarding Watson, I just don’t see how Douglas can come back with Darnold starting next year.  The fan base is all jazzed up for a new QB and there would be significant blowback if Darnold was the starter.  If we don’t trade for Watson, I’m guessing Wilson will be the pick but only after Douglas and his people put out a lot of good stuff about him.  They will talk him up a great deal.

Why not Fields? Still don't understand why people are disregarding Fields based off a couple of bad games when he looked like a complete stud his whole career. 

Watson is obviously the safest choice. However, with Watson you have to give up, what, 3-4 first round picks probably. Thats a ton of draft capital. And so you have a 5 year window after which Watson will be 30 and a FA in which you will have lost out on all that draft capitol and are paying your QB a ton of money. Can the Jets not only rebuild but rebuild and WIN in that window? Thats a tough task. 

5 hours ago, peebag said:

How about loading up with draft picks and FA's, running with Sam or James Morgan and if that doesn't pan out, try picking up one in 2022?

Not so easy. What makes you think the Jets will be in a position to draft a top QB in 2022? Have they shown they can find and develop QB talent late in Rd. 1? Definitely not. So I wouldn't bet on it. They may not find themselves in a position like this (drafting #2 overall) where they can get a legit Franchise QB for another 5 years when JD and Saleh are out the door and the Jets are forced to completely start over again.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think it's Watson or trade down actually.

If the Jets want to change the QB then I think it will be for a sure thing like Watson.  It could be that in the minds of guys like Douglas and Saleh they may think someone like Wilson is as much of a lottery ticket as a guy like Darnold.  If that's the case they roll with Darnold and build the roster through the Draft.

Saleh has watched the Shanahan system succeed with guys like Garrapolo, Mullens and CJ Beathard when the surrounding parts have been good and the running game is strong.  I think he feels like Darnold is better than he's shown the past two years under Gase.  And if not, then Saleh has also seen that trading a 2nd round pick can get you a guy like Garrapolo who can get you to a Super Bowl.  With two 1st round picks in 2022, I think the Jets wouldn't mind seeing how Darnold does in 2021 in a new system with better personnel.

So you exercise the $25 mil 5th year option in May or whenever it is? That’s a big gamble. To bring that to its logical conclusion, you are stuck with Darnold in 2022. If you don’t exercise then you need to draft or sign another QB in ‘22. Maybe Garrapolo signs or some other middling Qb. You could always move up in ‘22 draft to try again for a young Qb. 

Or..... sign a stud in Watson and never have to worry about Qb for the next 4 years! Just fill in the pieces around Watson. I like this option best

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

With the No. 2 overall pick

66.6% chance it's Justin Fields

33.3% chance it's Deshaun Watson 

0.01% chance it's Zach Wilson 

So the guy that is tailor made for the new offense is least likely to be picked? I think Fields is on the outside looking in now based on the offense they will run. Wilson is best fit of the three.

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Side question... Why don't you like Fields?

I can admit I have only seen a handful of his games  in parts when flipping through college games but I did not see much to not like.

The only games I watched beginning to end were Clemson and Alabama. But I saw moxie and good ball placement. After taking the hit against Clemson he was forced to operate out of the pocket and did it well. When they were down big against Alabama he threw a dime of a TD trying to come back.

I see a lot to like with fields.

A couple of reasons..

First, I do think he's pretty accurate and like his arm strength.

What I don't like..

His elongated throwing motion - it's not the end of the world, but not good for the NFL..and more importantly,

I just find his decision making to be very slow.  He just doesn't seem fluid to me in moving through his reads.  That is the priority in the NFL and I just don't love it in him for #2 overall.  This isn't to say he's not a good prospect but he scares me...

Where as Wilson has a stronger arm, release is super quick, he's just as accurate, good on the run and very creative.  Passing on Wilson because he played for BYU, had shoulder surgery in high school or is 6'3" 210 instead of 220 really doesn't make sense (and those three things seem to be the knocks on him - not his skill-set)

He's the better prospect

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, rangerous said:

another point is the type of offense being projected by lafleur is one that takes advantage of darnolds strengths and even watsons should they try to go that route.  i also think douglas has a higher opinion of morgan than some may think.

I bet Wilson would be better in this offense than Sam - goes through his progressions faster and is more accurate.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

A couple of reasons..

First, I do think he's pretty accurate and like his arm strength.

What I don't like..

His elongated throwing motion - it's not the end of the world, but not good for the NFL..and more importantly,

I just find his decision making to be very slow.  He just doesn't seem fluid to me in moving through his reads.  That is the priority in the NFL and I just don't love it in him for #2 overall.  This isn't to say he's not a good prospect but he scares me...

Where as Wilson has a stronger arm, release is super quick, he's just as accurate, good on the run and very creative.  Passing on Wilson because he played for BYU, had shoulder surgery in high school or is 6'3" 210 instead of 220 really doesn't make sense (and those three things seem to be the knocks on him - not his skill-set)

He's the better prospect

Alright quality answer I'm willing to let the process play out. (As if I had a choice)

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

So you exercise the $25 mil 5th year option in May or whenever it is? That’s a big gamble. To bring that to its logical conclusion, you are stuck with Darnold in 2022. If you don’t exercise then you need to draft or sign another QB in ‘22. Maybe Garrapolo signs or some other middling Qb. You could always move up in ‘22 draft to try again for a young Qb. 

Or..... sign a stud in Watson and never have to worry about Qb for the next 4 years! Just fill in the pieces around Watson. I like this option best

How about not exercising the option?

How about letting him prove himself in 2021, and if he does then using the Franchise Tag?  Sure, it will be a few million more expensive but with the Jets cap room that's not a bad option/hedge.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How about not exercising the option?

How about letting him prove himself in 2021, and if he does then using the Franchise Tag?  Sure, it will be a few million more expensive but with the Jets cap room that's not a bad option/hedge.

Hmmmmmm?! Ok, for argument sake, no 5th year and he’s modestly better under new coaching staff. What do we do for Qb in ‘22? Jets finish 6-10 and draft  8-10 range.... drafting QB or signing Garrapolo or Bridgewater type player. We continue to draft to build roster depth but still lack a FQb.

Finish 8-8 in ‘23 and picking 12-14 range..... Qb now?

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hmmmmmm?! Ok, for argument sake, no 5th year and he’s modestly better under new coaching staff. What do we do for Qb in ‘22? Jets finish 6-10 and draft  8-10 range.... drafting QB or signing Garrapolo or Bridgewater type player. We continue to draft to build roster depth but still lack a FQb.

Finish 8-8 in ‘23 and picking 12-14 range..... Qb now?

Sure.  Take one in the 12-14 range like where Deshaun Watson was taken.  Or, how about using the TWO 1st round picks in 2022 to move up if we think that would be necessary?

Also, are you more excited to watch the AFC Championship game where Josh Allen (taken #7) faces Mahomes (taken #10) or the NFC Championship Game where Tom Brady (taken #199) faces Aaron Rodgers (taken #32)?  Notice, not a single QB taken higher than #7 is left playing.

We might also be interested in the perspectives of a current player like Russell Wilson (taken #75) or a soon to be retired guy like Drew Brees (taken #32) on this question too.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Sure.  Take one in the 12-14 range like where Deshaun Watson was taken.  Or, how about using the TWO 1st round picks in 2022 to move up if we think that would be necessary?

Also, are you more excited to watch the AFC Championship game where Josh Allen (taken #7) faces Mahomes (taken #10) or the NFC Championship Game where Tom Brady (taken #199) face Aaron Rodgers (taken #32)?  Notice, not a single QB taken higher than #7 is left playing.

We might also be interested in the perspectives of a current player like Russell Wilson (taken #75) or a soon to be retired guy like Drew Brees (taken #32) on this question too.

Very good points. Other teams have always been better at evaluating talent than the Jets.

I am afraid we are the team selecting the Rosen, Darnold, Haskins, Lock, Trubitsky, Lynch, Winston, Hackenburg’s of the world. Can you guarantee a FQb in the next 2 years? I can because he already is one. Think of this as a larger DrewBrees trade.

Year No. Round Pick Player Name Team College
2020 1 1 1 1 Joe Burrow Bengals Louisiana State
  2 1 5 5 Tua Tagovailoa Dolphins Alabama
  3 1 6 6 Justin Herbert Chargers Oregon
  4 1 26 26 Jordan Love Packers Utah State
  5 2 21 53 Jalen Hurts Eagles Oklahoma
  6 4 16 122 Jacob Eason Colts Washington
  7 4 19 125 James Morgan Jets Florida International
  8 5 21 167 Jake Fromm Bills Georgia
  9 6 10 189 Jake Luton Jaguars Oregon State
  10 7 10 224 Cole McDonald Titans Hawaii
  11 7 17 231 Ben DiNucci Cowboys James Madison
  12 7 26 240 Tommy Stevens Saints Mississippi State
  13 7 30 244 Nate Stanley Vikings Iowa
2019 1 1 1 1 Kyler Murray Cardinals Oklahoma
  2 1 6 6 Daniel Jones Giants Duke
  3 1 15 15 Dwayne Haskins Redskins Ohio State
  4 2 10 42 Drew Lock Broncos Missouri
  5 3 36 100 Will Grier Panthers West Virginia
  6 4 2 104 Ryan Finley Bengals North Carolina State
  7 4 31 133 Jarrett Stidham Patriots Auburn
  8 5 28 166 Easton Stick Chargers North Dakota State
  9 5 29 167 Clayton Thorson Eagles Northwestern
  10 6 5 178 Gardner Minshew Jaguars Washington State
  11 6 24 197 Trace McSorley Ravens Penn State
2018 1 1 1 1 Baker Mayfield Browns Oklahoma
  2 1 3 3 Sam Darnold Jets USC
  3 1 7 7 Josh Allen Bills Wyoming
  4 1 10 10 Josh Rosen Cardinals UCLA
  5 1 32 32 Lamar Jackson Ravens Louisville
  6 3 12 76 Mason Rudolph Steelers Oklahoma State
  7 4 8 108 Kyle Lauletta Giants Richmond
  8 5 34 171 Mike White Cowboys Western Kentucky
  9 6 25 199 Luke Falk Titans Washington State
  10 6 29 203 Tanner Lee Jaguars Nebraska
  11 7 1 219 Danny Etling Patriots Louisiana State
  12 7 2 220 Alex McGough Seahawks Florida International
  13 7 31 249 Logan Woodside Bengals Toledo
2017 1 1 2 2 Mitchell Trubisky Bears North Carolina
  2 1 10 10 Patrick Mahomes Chiefs Texas Tech
  3 1 12 12 Deshaun Watson Texans Clemson
  4 2 20 52 DeShone Kizer Browns Notre Dame
  5 3 23 87 Davis Webb Giants California
  6 3 40 104 C.J. Beathard 49ers Iowa
  7 4 29 135 Joshua Dobbs Steelers Tennessee
  8 5 28 171 Nathan Peterman Bills Pittsburgh
  9 6 32 215 Brad Kaaya Lions Miami (FL)
  10 7 35 253 Chad Kelly Broncos Mississippi
2016 1 1 1 1 Jared Goff Rams California
  2 1 2 2 Carson Wentz Eagles North Dakota State
  3 1 26 26 Paxton Lynch Broncos Memphis
  4 2 20 51 Christian Hackenberg Jets Penn State
  5 3 29 91 Jacoby Brissett Patriots North Carolina State
  6 3 31 93 Cody Kessler Browns USC
  7 4 2 100 Connor Cook Raiders Michigan State
  8 4 37 135 Dak Prescott Cowboys Mississippi State
  9 4 41 139 Cardale Jones Bills Ohio State
  10 5 25 162 Kevin Hogan Chiefs Stanford
  11 6 12 187 Nate Sudfeld Redskins Indiana
  12 6 16 191 Jake Rudock Lions Michigan
  13 6 26 201 Brandon Allen Jaguars Arkansas
  14 6 32 207 Jeff Driskel 49ers Louisiana Tech
  15 7 2 223 Brandon Doughty Dolphins Western Kentucky
2015 1 1 1 1 Jameis Winston Buccaneers Florida State
  2 1 2 2 Marcus Mariota Titans Oregon
  3 3 11 75 Garrett Grayson Saints Colorado State
  4 3 25 89 Sean Mannion Rams Oregon State
  5 4 4 103 Bryce Petty Jets Baylor
  6 5 11 147 Brett Hundley Packers UCLA
  7 7 33 250 Trevor Siemian Broncos Northwestern
              tate

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, peebag said:

Maybe the whole Jets team will suck in 2021?  Take a look at the roster and think about all the holes that need to be filled - do you really think Watson/Fields/another Qb makes this team any better than 6-8 wins?

Someone already posted that Watson could have won at least 2-4 games, maybe more, on this team last year.  There were several games, just some decent play at the position would have been the difference.  And that is with Gase and team depleted with injuries for a good part of the year.   Watson would be coming to a very different team.  We have an upcoming draft plus free agency.  Our young players will have a year under their belt, an actual  training camp, and real coaching staff determined to create a new culture.  Yeah, I could see Watson helping make this team 6 to 8 wins better; he would not be doing it by himself.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, addage said:

Watson may bring instant credibility to the franchise, but the franchise has no instant credibility to give back.

If you watched Russel Wilson sink in the playoffs because the Hawks can't afford an OL, then imagine what will happen with the Jets.  Hawks roster is a hell of a lot stronger than the Jets.

Maybe not instant but even with trade we should still have a good number of picks over the next two years plus a good deal of cap space, a Watson would help attract an Allen Robinson or a Joe Thuney.   Jets are not in the same situation as the Seahawks.  Right now if JD handles this right, this team could get good sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Maybe not instant but even with trade we should still have a good number of picks over the next two years plus a good deal of cap space, a Watson would help attract an Allen Robinson or a Joe Thuney.   Jets are not in the same situation as the Seahawks.  Right now if JD handles this right, this team could get good sooner rather than later. 

Welcome aboard the Watson train.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

IMO they can have them. Watson had Chad Hansen putting up solid numbers, imagine what he’d do with Perriman, Mims, and Crowder. He’s the type of QB that raises the level of play of everybody around him, so things that look like wild needs right now will be less of a need with a guy like him playing QB, but we’d still have money in free agency to upgrade on the OL and WR 

The least likely thing to happen in 2021, if the Jets somehow land Watson in a trade, is to make Perriman their only FA signing among all the available WRs.

They're going to ante up for a serious WR. Perriman over Anderson was one of the only moves Douglas specifically listed as one he really regretted. 

There's a 0.0% chance the 2021 starting WR trio returns as Perriman-Mims-Crowder, let alone after investing so heavily in Deshaun Watson.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I bet Wilson would be better in this offense than Sam - goes through his progressions faster and is more accurate.

That’s possible. He also has more nfl experience and with a coach who did know how to put his offense together.  Darnold did play better in bates’ wco system.

8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Bottom line is if Watson get traded and it’s not to the Jets (and it’s not because Watson said no to NY... which he won’t), it’s an F minus minus for Douglas. Like eject this kid from school right now type of fail

Issue is how much better is the Jets roster than the Texans where Watson went 4-12?. If anything the Texans are better talent wise and then we take on Watson and we cannot build the team over the next few years anywhere near as well in the draft since we will have to give the Texans how many high picks for him. Plus we will have the QB already making top $ against the cap that will prevent from building the team in FA. So, if Jets are limited to degraded building of the team via FA and the draft what are we going to do with Watson, go 4-12, 5-11, etc. over the next few years?. That would give JD an F quicker by over spending for Watson. Watson in the way I described for this team likely will be more of a risk than drafting Fields at #2 and with the rest of the draft picks and $ we have for FA build around the kid that this staff can coach up. Lets take that risk instead which we should all be more adept to live or die with.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Very good points. Other teams have always been better at evaluating talent than the Jets.

I am afraid we are the team selecting the Rosen, Darnold, Haskins, Lock, Trubitsky, Lynch, Winston, Hackenburg’s of the world. Can you guarantee a FQb in the next 2 years? I can because he already is one. Think of this as a larger DrewBrees trade.

tate

I don’t know that I’d be grouping hack with those other QBs.  Hack didn’t work out in any system.  With the exception of lynch, the other guys did win some game and in the case of trubitsky and even Winston and darnold deserved a starting shot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know that I’d be grouping hack with those other QBs.  Hack didn’t work out in any system.  With the exception of lynch, the other guys did win some game and in the case of trubitsky and even Winston and darnold deserved a starting shot.

Was mostly trying to say that we have sucked at identifying talent.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Was mostly trying to say that we have sucked at identifying talent.

A lot of truth in that observation. If they choose to go with darnold I hope he works out.  Hack was such an extreme case. Mac tried to force him into the game when the coaches were telling him not to.  And hack probably was the reason why Mac passed on mahommes or Watson.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

tate

The most important thing going forward in my humble opinion will not be where we pick, it will be who is doing the picking.

I agree 100% that Watson is already a sure thing with no bust risk.  There are maybe 4-5 other QBs in the NFL right now that you'd consider taking over him.  He's elite.

The only thing I'm pushing back on is that IF the Jets do not trade for Watson AND do not pick a QB at #2, we shouldn't think all hope is lost.  I would trust JD to find a QB for this team either through the Draft, via trade or via Free Agency post-Darnold.  Decent QBs do move from team to team occasionally.  Brees is a great example and as I mentioned before Robert Saleh has firsthand experience seeing a QB like Garropolo (traded for a 2nd round pick) take his team to the Super Bowl and damn near almost win it.  As we see this year, Watson may be available and who knows about Dak Prescott, he could hit the street as a FA in 2 months.

My bottom line is this - I'd love to get Watson, but I don't want to overpay and mortgage the future.  For me that means not much more than the #2 this year, a 1st next year and then maybe some other 2nd round pick or two.  I'm not trading three 1st round picks, let alone 4.  And, if we don't get him I'm not throwing in the towel that the Jets still can't find a FQB in the next year or two.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The most important thing going forward in my humble opinion will not be where we pick, it will be who is doing the picking.

I agree 100% that Watson is already a sure thing with no bust risk.  There are maybe 4-5 other QBs in the NFL right now that you'd consider taking over him.  He's elite.

The only thing I'm pushing back on is that IF the Jets do not trade for Watson AND do not pick a QB at #2, we shouldn't think all hope is lost.  I would trust JD to find a QB for this team either through the Draft, via trade or via Free Agency post-Darnold.  Decent QBs do move from team to team occasionally.  Brees is a great example and as I mentioned before Robert Saleh has firsthand experience seeing a QB like Garropolo (traded for a 2nd round pick) take his team to the Super Bowl and damn near almost win it.  As we see this year, Watson may be available and who knows about Dak Prescott, he could hit the street as a FA in 2 months.

My bottom line is this - I'd love to get Watson, but I don't want to overpay and mortgage the future.  For me that means not much more than the #2 this year, a 1st next year and then maybe some other 2nd round pick or two.  I'm not trading three 1st round picks, let alone 4.  And, if we don't get him I'm not throwing in the towel that the Jets still can't find a FQB in the next year or two.

I agree, Nick Foles, McMahon, Flacco et al are able successfully win a Championship with strong teams built around them. I would love Prescott as a FA while others inflate his injury. 

I would love to finally have the QB who can March our team down the field in 0:01:53 remaining in the 4th quarter to win in Buffalo in January. Watson is that type of player. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

For sure.  But there's a new sheriff in town.  Let's give him a chance.

usatsi_12877358.jpg.925984a01f091351f2795cdda9feb660.jpg

We have had several new sheriffs in the last decade. The jury is still out on JD. The top 4 OL have all played well this season (Thomas finished strong). 

Mims has shown promising but unspectacular numbers. That’s about it in year 1. Hall could be a player. JD will be building a team this year around  Darnold or a rookie. Here’s hoping he has a plan. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've said the same thing -- I can live with passing on a QB with the 2nd pick as long as we aren't doing so to "build around Darnold."

We should be looking at upgrading the QB position in a variety of ways.

No way JD bets his career on Darnold. If Darnold is a Jet next year, JD must and will acquire another QB that can legitimately challenge for the job. 

• Upvote 1