Cimini Wants Watson, But Can't Afford Him

addage

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Watson hasn’t gone all scorched earth yet, and I dont think he will.   I still think Bienemy comes in and the two talk it out and he’ll declare his allegiance to the Texans and live happily ever after.  

As Spock would say, "that's completely logical."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

I don’t think the Watson - Adams trade comparison really works out. Not all first round picks are created equal. The Jets have the #2 pick this year, that’s a huge trade chip.

Seattle is rolling the dice making the trade, obviously, but they almost always pick in the 20’s - playoffs 8 of the 10 years prior to making that trade and no worse than 7-9. The 23rd pick the Jets got is pretty good relative to where Seattle expects to draft. 

The #2 overall pick alone is worth almost three times the #23 pick. Plus the 2022 first gets discounted for being a year out. Pretty sure that pick by itself is worth more as a trade chip than everything Seattle gave up. 

Plus Seattle overpaid, Houston has a chance to be much more publicly backed into a corner, Adams didn’t have the power of a no trade clause to force his destination, etc.

Obviously Watson will return more than Adams but I think this is lazy from Cimini.

exactly correct on the #2 pick.  so if we traded it for 2 first rounders for example - we could give them 3 first round picks and not break the bank. 

the reconstructed legs is a point i didn't think abuot.

2 hours ago, addage said:

Cimini--often annoying but always interesting--discusses the Watson to Jets idea.  Whole article is longer and worth reading.  I think I got the most important bits.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30736654/jets-all-texans-deshaun-watson-reality-stand-way

Will the Jets make an aggressive run at him? Call me skeptical, but the hunch is general manager Joe Douglas won't open his treasure chest of draft picks and trade them for one player.

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

Conventional thinking suggests pursuing Watson wouldn't be a wise move for the Jets, who fall into the "more than one player away" category. A fair concern, to be sure. Watson was brilliant this season -- 4,823 yards and 33 touchdown passes -- and the Texans went 4-12. So, yes, it takes more than a superstar quarterback.

If the Jets trade three first-rounders for Watson, they'd be mortgaging a significant part of their future and would have to rely heavily on NFL free agency to bring in talent -- not the optimal way to build a roster. Douglas created a rebuilding blueprint that hinges largely on that draft capital.

But you know what? Sometimes the best-laid plans need to be junked and remastered. Conventional thinking doesn't win championships.

I am also in the skeptical group.  How will the Jets rebuild if the trade away all those picks.  And why would Watson want to come here if we don't have the picks to build the roster.  I know this isn't popular but it just doesn't make sense to trade now even assuming the other side--including Watson who can veto any trade--agrees.

Ughhh. How many picks does one team need? We have 5 first round picks the next 3 years. If we trade Sam this year we'll have a #1, two 2s most likely, 2 3s, and that's just the first two days. A LOT more than we have had in the past and more than most teams. Add a huge amount of cap space and the fact that Watson will only cost 10.5m on this year's cap it's a no brainer. It's so lazy to play the too expensive route. It's simply not true if it's 3 first round picks - one each year.

54 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's the same logic of not wanting a QB at 2

the team is too far away for 1 player to step in and make it work just by being that QB guy  

the Texans offense is better than the Jets offense at every position except Becton/Tunsil and even that's an argument.  (Tunsil has made 2 Pro Bowls, Becton was snubbed as a rookie) 

there's no Will Fuller on the roster or even a David Johnson 

why would Watson want to come to NY to rebuild this team? because of Robert Saleh? it's a stretch and Watson will likely be blitzed into the ground within a month 

just like Trevor or Justin Fields would have or how Sam has been pinata'ed since his debut 

this team isn't equipped for the QB1, that's how severe of a gut job JD did to get rid of Gase 

I don't see the Jets staying pat with the existing roster minus Maye, let alone not signing a serious WR after the egg on JD's face with Anderson/Perriman. 

Robinson (or JuJu or Godwin or Golladay) + Crowder + Mims is a superior trio than Watson had in Houston. And though I expect them to draft and/or bring in another TE, even if they somehow just brought back Herndon/Griffin (unlikely as that is) it's silly to think their numbers will be the same with Watson vs. Darnold/Flacco. Anyway it's more than enough for an elite QB to work with even if all they do is sign 1 serious WR.

I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this from you. Typically you're the opposite of "Don't try to get one of the 3 most valuable players in the NFL because we're not ready this year," and this is the best example you'd have ever had. Never mind being so bad and, as a result, having the #2 pick, is one of the major reasons we're in Pole Position in terms of possible destinations. A HC he likes, who's got a clean slate with the bloom still very much on the rose, is another.

You don't get to tell the Texans to hang onto him for another season for us until we've methodically built a bit more of a core to go around him. He's available when he's available (if he's even really available). 

Trade for Watson, sign Robinson (or JuJu or Godwin or Golladay), sign a guard, draft a RB (or even pick up Johnson after he's a cap casualty). Even if you stopped there, that's already a better situation than he was in, and it's not like they're going to stop other attempts at building the team or are getting Gase & co. back to coach. A year later, at the latest, and there's no reason this shouldn't be at least a 10-win team. 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The basic issue that is splitting fans right now is simply whether Darnold IS a quality QB.  Seems about 40/60 to me.  60% are all in on Watson and/or Fields/Wilson.  Maybe 40% are in on giving Sam another year with a different system, better coaching and better talent around him...

I mean Sam was the worst starting QB in the NFL in 2020. He sucks.

The offense was noticeably more dynamic with Joe Flacco, an aging backup quality player in there.

Do the "weaponz" need to be upgraded? Sure. But Darnold and Gase were the two worst components of the offense last year.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

every unit on the offense sucks. the WR suck, the RBs are atrocious, the line is terrible etc.  

this is the worst offense in the league by far and it's not just because of coaching 

Yeah, I think think you're flat out wrong about this. A competent HC/OC and QB completely changes the dynamic of the offense. Are we below average at various positions? Sure. We have a long way to go to be true contenders. But you're totally overstating the talent gap between where we are and where we'd need to be to go, say, 10-6 next year.

• Upvote 3

If you can get Watson for the Jeremiah package (2021,2022,2023 1st) and keep the Seattle 1s, we can be very competitive in a year or 2. This team stinks, but coaching and QB play change a lot. We have been getting 32nd in NFL rated QB play and the worst coaching. This can be turned around faster than people think 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't see the Jets staying pat with the existing roster minus Maye, let alone not signing a serious WR after the egg on JD's face with Anderson/Perriman. 

Robinson (or JuJu or Godwin or Golladay) + Crowder + Mims is a superior trio than Watson had in Houston. And though I expect them to draft and/or bring in another TE, even if they somehow just brought back Herndon/Griffin (unlikely as that is) it's silly to think their numbers will be the same with Watson vs. Darnold/Flacco. Anyway it's more than enough for an elite QB to work with even if all they do is sign 1 serious WR.

I'm actually pretty surprised to hear this from you. Typically you're the opposite of "Don't try to get one of the 3 most valuable players in the NFL because we're not ready this year," and this is the best example you'd have ever had. Never mind being so bad and, as a result, having the #2 pick, is one of the major reasons we're in Pole Position in terms of possible destinations. A HC he likes, who's got a clean slate with the bloom still very much on the rose, is another.

You don't get to tell the Texans to hang onto him for another season for us until we've methodically built a bit more of a core to go around him. He's available when he's available (if he's even really available). 

Trade for Watson, sign Robinson (or JuJu or Godwin or Golladay), sign a guard, draft a RB (or even pick up Johnson after he's a cap casualty). Even if you stopped there, that's already a better situation than he was in, and it's not like they're going to stop other attempts at building the team or are getting Gase & co. back to coach. A year later, at the latest, and there's no reason this shouldn't be at least a 10-win team. 

That's a recipe for 9-7 as a ceiling 

To quote coach Saleh 

There are no shortcuts 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yikes

Sperm you're the "when has this ever happened before" dude

when have the jets paid any single player 30 million dollars a year?

Im not sure the Jets have ever paid anyone 20 mil a year.  

30 mil is a spicy meatball for a team that charges it's fans 50 dollars to park 

When have they had anyone who was worth paying that much? It's only very recently that the $30MM threshold was broken, and only for QBs at that -- were they supposed to pay Fitzpatrick or McCown $30MM? 

There are like a handful of non-QBs in the league $20MM/year and the Jets never had any of them to extend in the first place.

Honestly, there's no major history of the Jets always letting their probowl (or borderline probowl) players hit FA. The only ones they traded were Richardson - and they already had a logjam at the position anyway to the point Bowles was even lining him up at MLB ffs - and an injured Revis. Actually there was also Abraham but that was over 15 years ago. 

They re-signed/extended Revis, Mo, Harris, Ferguson, Mangold, and hell they even extended that stiff Sanchez. They made Chad Pennington the 2nd-highest paid QB in history after Peyton Manning.

Point being they don't let more players go than other teams. The bigger problem has been the lousy drafting in the first place, especially the past dozen years or so.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When have they had anyone who was worth paying that much? It's only very recently that the $30MM threshold was broken, and only for QBs at that -- were they supposed to pay Fitzpatrick or McCown $30MM? 

There are like a handful of non-QBs in the league $20MM/year and the Jets never had any of them to extend in the first place.

Honestly, there's no major history of the Jets always letting their probowl (or borderline probowl) players hit FA. The only ones they traded were Richardson - and they already had a logjam at the position anyway to the point Bowles was even lining him up at MLB ffs - and an injured Revis. Actually there was also Abraham but that was over 15 years ago. 

They re-signed/extended Revis, Mo, Harris, Ferguson, Mangold, and hell they even extended that stiff Sanchez. They made Chad Pennington the 2nd-highest paid QB in history after Peyton Manning.

Point being they don't let more players go than other teams. The bigger problem has been the lousy drafting in the first place, especially the past dozen years or so.

It's chicken and egg stuff.  They don't have any one worth paying because the team is run a certain way. Jamal Adams missing from the pro bowl traded pile. These names you are listing like mo and Chadwick may as well be from the crusades. It's ancient history. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's a recipe for 9-7 as a ceiling 

To quote coach Saleh 

There are no shortcuts 

I don't agree at all, and don't see where you come up with any win total ceiling from any team ever, let alone for the next 5 years with an elite QB.

I don't see it as a shortcut. Just not taking the longest possible route to get there by waiting for another draft or two to pan out and see what they become.

Usually that's the drum you're beating. Really I'm surprised.

Sign a bunch of players now, at various positions, and draft (like anyone would expect). By the time those mid-round 2021-2022 draftees are ready to start full time the guaranteed portions of the 2020-2021 contracts will be up anyway.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's chicken and egg stuff.  They don't have any one worth paying because the team is run a certain way. Jamal Adams missing from the pro bowl traded pile. 

And is the best transaction they've made in years, plus is the only reason they're in the discussion with regards to Watson. If they can turn Adams plus a 1st rounder into Watson I'm not seeing the downside. 

I could just as easily say "Don't throw away cheap 1st round building blocks to keep - let alone extend - Jamal Adams because the team isn't ready to compete yet."

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, addage said:

Cimini--often annoying but always interesting--discusses the Watson to Jets idea.  Whole article is longer and worth reading.  I think I got the most important bits.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30736654/jets-all-texans-deshaun-watson-reality-stand-way

Will the Jets make an aggressive run at him? Call me skeptical, but the hunch is general manager Joe Douglas won't open his treasure chest of draft picks and trade them for one player.

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

Conventional thinking suggests pursuing Watson wouldn't be a wise move for the Jets, who fall into the "more than one player away" category. A fair concern, to be sure. Watson was brilliant this season -- 4,823 yards and 33 touchdown passes -- and the Texans went 4-12. So, yes, it takes more than a superstar quarterback.

If the Jets trade three first-rounders for Watson, they'd be mortgaging a significant part of their future and would have to rely heavily on NFL free agency to bring in talent -- not the optimal way to build a roster. Douglas created a rebuilding blueprint that hinges largely on that draft capital.

But you know what? Sometimes the best-laid plans need to be junked and remastered. Conventional thinking doesn't win championships.

I am also in the skeptical group.  How will the Jets rebuild if the trade away all those picks.  And why would Watson want to come here if we don't have the picks to build the roster.  I know this isn't popular but it just doesn't make sense to trade now even assuming the other side--including Watson who can veto any trade--agrees.

Say the idea Daniel Jeramiah suggested, our 1st for the next 3 years.  You still have the Seahawks 1st rounder.  So you're really not "mortgaging the future".  If they didnt have the extra 1st rounders, I would agree but in this example.  They still have a 1st round pick the next 2 years and #34 overall this year.  With plenty of cap room, you can 100% build around Watson.  A hypothetical offseason could look like this; 1.23 RB - Harris, 2.34 WR - Toney, 3rd C - Humphrey, 4th - T - Carman.  FA Robinson/Smith-Shuster/Godwin and Thuney.

You basically just rebuilt your offense and you have a 1st rounder and more to take D next season.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

All that said — it’s all hot air. 

any coach thinking about taking that job is gonna want Watson to stick around. I addition to that if talks really started, some team ready to compete will wind up being the Cinderella to land him. Gruden in Vegas or Smith in ATL, or even Ron in DC - teams with some semblance of momentum - will be the landing spot. 

not the worst team in the NFL

None of those teams have the ammo to get Watson.  It's not going to be entirely up to him where he ends up.  No team is better positioned to give Houston what they want in a trade, and to be able to afford Watson's contract, like the Jets can.  Other than perhaps the Jaguars, and we all know there's no chance in hell Houston trades Watson within the division.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't agree at all, and don't see where you come up with any win total ceiling from any team ever, let alone for the next 5 years with an elite QB.

I don't see it as a shortcut. Just not taking the longest possible route to get there by waiting for another draft or two to pan out and see what they become.

Usually that's the drum you're beating. Really I'm surprised.

Sign a bunch of players now, at various positions, and draft (like anyone would expect). By the time those mid-round 2021-2022 draftees are ready to start full time the guaranteed portions of the 2020-2021 contracts will be up anyway.

There's nothing in Joe Douglas history or woody Johnson recent history to suggest that a free agent binge is happening. Or a trade for expensive qb pro bowl type. Let alone both in the same year 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I could just as easily say "Don't throw away cheap 1st round building blocks to keep - let alone extend - Jamal Adams because the team isn't ready to compete yet."

Players like Adams and Sewell are the building blocks. Teams need leaders and those players do not usually arrive in the mail. 

Other teams let go guys like Robinson and Watson because they are not building blocks 

There are no shortcuts 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None of those teams have the ammo to get Watson.  It's not going to be entirely up to him where he ends up.  No team is better positioned to give Houston what they want in a trade, and to be able to afford Watson's contract, like the Jets can.  Other than perhaps the Jaguars, and we all know there's no chance in hell Houston trades Watson within the division.

I get it but if (for example) WSH wants to make it happen, Watson likes it and HOU is open to dealing him out of conference - history suggests they often find a way to make it happen. Players, pics and promises etc.

Personally I think out of conference is a major part of it. Makes a team like CAR more likely. 

I hate that this stuff drives a wedge between my Jet brothers. I desperately hope that the Saleh era is one that unites us all regularly - over the incompetent regimes that have left us all divided and feeling like we all could do a better job. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Put the league-leader in passing, with a 70% comp rate and 3 to 1 TD to INT Ratio at QB, in a reasonably decent offense system (i.e. not Gase), and give that QB a legit #1 WR in (in this example Robinson), combined with a moderately decent draft helping the O-line and CB and the return of LB Mosely, and I believe we are a competitive team in 2021.

Final post on the topic;

your assessment only plays out that way if humans suddenly stop aging and contracts are frozen in time. It’s Tanny approach. Current oline players under contract are about to be JAGs, Mosley will be trash and our secondary is a couple injuries away from giving up 50 pts a game. 

hou couldn’t do it with a better roster and Watson. We won’t fair better

• Upvote 2

Those that have pointed out that Joe Douglas is seemingly from the 'I value patience and draft capital' school of thought as opposed to the Mike Tannenbaum 'I will Indecent Proposal my wife to make the playoffs this year', have a legitimate point.

It has, and will always, be about price.

Douglas would surprise all of us he moves three firsts for anyone.

1 hour ago, addage said:

If Watson was a patient guy, this thread wouldn't exist.  He wants to leave Houston because they are not winning and have no real likelihood of changing that.

So your theory is he comes here and loses for 3 more years.  Years in which we have very few elite level picks available.  And he's going to be a loyal happy Jet through all of that?

I think Watson would veto a trade to the Jets.  We are once again being put forward as a possible location in order to drive up the price from other teams that would be a more likely landing sport for Watson.  Miami is certainly a possibility.

If you are Watson, where do you want to play next year?

This team will be ready to compete much, much quicker than most here are suggesting.  Watson seems to like our new HC.  The roster isn't as terrible as has been stated, and Watson will make everyone on it better.  He'll also be able to recruit free agents, and the Jets will have the cap space to shape the roster around him a bit to his liking.

I have no idea who Watson wants to play for.  But it isn't entirely up to him.  The Texans have to send him to a non-divisional team that can both give them a package of picks they deem worthy AND can afford his contract.  That limits his options.  He can't just go anywhere he wants.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is really the only relevant part of this.  Nothing like this has ever happened before.  There's no comparison to be made.  Throw the playbook out of the window.  If a top 5 QB at age 25 is available, you go after him aggressively.  Period.

The more I think about it the more I don't see how we don't pursue the sh!t out of this. JD should be able to, in a scenario where say we did trade for Watson, to adjust his off field plans and his draft board. and Watson only costs 10 mil next year... front load some FA contract money and enjoy a damn good qb for a change. 

• Upvote 1

As a prudent GM vs a non prudent one like a Bill O'Brien you have to look at these assets by pick position not lump 1st rounders together.

The 2nd overall pick in a draft hold tons of value, if we traded down depending on how far we would be looking for two first and probably two seconds or something along those lines.  So that is your 1st part of the trade.

Then we want to give up 1st rounders the next two years as well.  Whether it is our pick or the seattle pick where will it be, if you are big optimist you think with watson we make the playoffs and our pick so 20 something.  Less of an optimist and the pick could be 10 or so, something goes wrong we could have a top 5 pick next year as well.

The Seattle picks can also be all over the place.

The good thing we can all agree on is that watson is good enough to at least looking into a trade.  But you have to be very careful with your projection of what the picks are you are giving up.

In any case I am totally with the people saying with the right coach hire houston will kiss and make up to some extent and I do not think watson will be available in any case.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Final post on the topic;

your assessment only plays out that way if humans suddenly stop aging and contracts are frozen in time. It’s Tanny approach. Current oline players under contract are about to be JAGs, Mosley will be trash and our secondary is a couple injuries away from giving up 50 pts a game. 

hou couldn’t do it with a better roster and Watson. We won’t fair better

OK, agree to disagree then.  I think at your level of extreme pessimism, there is no real world plan which would work to bring us back to competitiveness. 

If Watson were 38, I'd see your point and agree. 

He's 25.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

This team will be ready to compete much, much quicker than most here are suggesting.  Watson seems to like our new HC.  The roster isn't as terrible as has been stated, and Watson will make everyone on it better. 

I have no idea who Watson wants to play for.  But it isn't entirely up to him.  The Texans have to send him to a non-divisional team that can both give them a package of picks they deem worthy AND can afford his contract.  That limits his options.  He can't just go anywhere he wants.

Also people seem to forget that Gase is and was a horrible HC. yes we were bad with Gase but its addition by subtraction. I think our team today no change is better on the field just because the players are probably more happy and our coach isn't a total tool that has no clue how to coach.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I dont care what it costs.

It makes us an immediate contender. 

Stop being cheap

GET A QB!!!

I still do not get this at all in he least.  Houston won FOUR games last year with him playing at a high level!

Will the jets be a lot better at QB?  for sure!  Will they be contenders?  Live in a dream world some more.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Put the league-leader in passing, with a 70% comp rate and 3 to 1 TD to INT Ratio at QB, in a reasonably decent offense system (i.e. not Gase), and give that QB a legit #1 WR in (in this example Robinson), combined with a moderately decent draft helping the O-line and CB and the return of LB Mosely, and I believe we are a competitive team in 2021. 

Super Bowl ready?  Probably not.  Capable of beating Buffalo, Miami and New England, absolutely.

Our two biggest problems were a worst-in-NFL Offensive Head Coach, he's gone, and a worst-in NFL QB, who would be gone.  I think you're being overly pessimistic, honestly.  Sure, Super Bowls might not be till 2023, but Watson doesn't become a Pumpkin in 2023 after all.

Seriously, you get a 25 y.o. Watson when he's available - if he is, somehow - you don't get to tell Houston to hang onto him for another season or so until the rest of the team is championship caliber, and then trade him to us, lol.

• Upvote 2