2021 Salary Cap rumor

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's PFT which I generally dismiss as worthless, but Jason from OTC chimed in saying he's heard similar things so that makes it worth tossing up here.

If true, this is a good thing for the Jets (and JAX and IND),  And somehow the Pats have snuck up into the 4th most cap room next year.  And of course they will be getting their annual tribute of a 3rd and 4th round comp pick from the NFL.  They may draft like crap but they do manage the roster economics pretty well otherwise.

The lack of cap crunch hurts the Jets more than helps in my opinion and has for a while.

1) No QB to extend

2) crappy drafting has led to a low amount of extensions

3) Jets left with overpaying mediocre FAs since teams are able to franchise tag or extend their own talent.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Except for two:  Lattimore and Ramczyk.   

Assuming these players would want to go to NY/NJ

All Pro RT Ryan Ramczyk will command today, what Sewell would get in 5 years

Sewell is younger, more athletic and had a better PFF CFB grade than Ramczyk, who is 3rd all time in their grades behind QNelson at 2 and Sewell at 1 

If the Jets line is so terrible that they are going to spend 19 mil a year on Ramczyk or just draft the younger better player I don't see why that's a hard decision 

game theory they draft the premium OL spend the 19 mil elsewhere like edge where there is no high upside guy at 2 

• Upvote 4
43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Other teams tagging FAs costs more than extending, and I don't see how that hurts us more in that regard than if the cap was $25-35MM higher. I'm not making that connection.

Regardless, I can't see how that outweighs the extra players that will get released because there'll be tens of millions less than teams expected when they signed high-end players to big deals 2-4 years prior, plus how much less competition there'll be even for those who are ok as they are but can't really spend much more.

The team sucks. Plenty of opportunity to improve it, and this probably helps the Jets more than it hurts by lowering the number of teams competing for FAs we'd covet. Even further, we're in a position to trade for FAs we can better afford than they can.

Overpaying for mediocre FAs happens either way if you're not exercising good judgment. Only difference is they'd be overpaying even more if the cap ceiling was 15% higher.

I wasn’t saying the cap going down was a bad thing. The tweet said it was good news 180 million rather than 175. My point was the lower the better, but it’s still an overall good thing for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

One interesting development we may see this off-season is who will be let loose.  There are some awful salary cap implications for a lot of teams.  Atlanta and Obviosuly New Orleans, etc.

• Upvote 2

A lower cap works to the Jets advantage.  Other teams will have to cut veterans they don't want to cut, and the market for veterans will be wide open with few buyers.  Jets can be one of the those buyers.  They can get good veteran leadership for cheap.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The lack of cap crunch hurts the Jets more than helps in my opinion and has for a while.

1) No QB to extend

3) Jets left with overpaying mediocre FAs since teams are able to franchise tag or extend their own talent.

The tweet is suggesting that there will still be a crunch. The "good news" is that it'll only be down 20 mil as opposed to 25 mil. This is still very good news for the Jets and other teams with tons of cap space.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Assuming these players would want to go to NY/NJ

All Pro RT Ryan Ramczyk will command today, what Sewell would get in 5 years

Sewell is younger, more athletic and had a better PFF CFB grade than Ramczyk, who is 3rd all time in their grades behind QNelson at 2 and Sewell at 1 

If the Jets line is so terrible that they are going to spend 19 mil a year on Ramczyk or just draft the younger better player I don't see why that's a hard decision 

game theory they draft the premium OL spend the 19 mil elsewhere like edge where there is no high upside guy at 2 

The lower cap ceiling will prevent an OL for asking for 19 mil per.  

Its also going to lower the number of teams that are going to be shoppers as opposed to buyers.  

• Thumb Down 1
45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The lower cap ceiling will prevent an OL for asking for 19 mil per.  

Its also going to lower the number of teams that are going to be shoppers as opposed to buyers.  

Bull crap 

If Trent brown is worth 18, Ryan is worth 19 or 20. That's the way it works 

• Thumb Down 1
3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Bull crap 

If Trent brown is worth 18, Ryan is worth 19 or 20. That's the way it works 

Bull Shlt, its supply and demand.  If the cap is lowered and teams cant spend as much the players wont be able to get as much.  Trent Brown probably wounldnt have gotten 18 mil this off season 

Look at the baseball contracts this offseason

You're both a bit right and wrong.  Contracts signed this year will likely incorporate a lower hit in 2021 and push some of that money to the out years.  I think most will assume the cap will return to it's normal trajectory by next year and that 2020 was just an aberration.  So the average annual salary on 4+ year contracts shouldn't be terribly impacted, but there may be some slight attenuation in contract values overall.  It *is* supply and demand.  

Take Prescott, for example.  He thinks he's worth $35M/year or more.  But the teams that can afford that may not be interested in him (JAX, NYJ).  The teams that are interested may be in cap trouble and limited to offering him less.  I can't say if he'll sign a deal, but I can say he won't be getting $35M/year if no team is willing/able to offer it to him.  WFT may be his only real shot if DAL doesn't step up and that assumes they wouldn't rather just draft a guy.  It's not a great year to be a FA QB probably.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Bull Shlt, its supply and demand.  If the cap is lowered and teams cant spend as much the players wont be able to get as much.  Trent Brown probably wounldnt have gotten 18 mil this off season 

Look at the baseball contracts this offseason

The numbers never go down. They only have go up. Even this year. Premium players demand premium prices. They are not going to give discounts, certainly not for the NYJ 

Baseball is different 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The numbers never go down. They only have go up. Even this year. Premium players demand premium prices. They are not going to give discounts, certainly not for the NYJ 

Baseball is different 

The salary cap has never gone down either.  You are making a leap in logic that doesn't really have legs.  We really don't know what the impact of a lower cap on new contracts is going to be.  We only have opinions.

• Upvote 1

I suspect the cap to be 190+ and I suspect there will be a lot of restructures. I also would be surprised if there's not some sort of deal to push off some cap drop to later years. If the player union doesn't push hard for some sort of deal to stop a cap drop on that level, @joewilly12 and @Spoot-Face will rent a flat and film an odd couple TV show.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Baseball is different 

No, baseball isnt different any more than the rule of supply and demand is different

The salary cap has never gone down like it will this year.  

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Bit you are 100% on the Sewell train and trying to decapitate any who stands in the way of this train making it to station..... I'm loving the show but you should know better than to get tied to one prospect ...... Heavy chances are the the Jets won't do what you want.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

The biggest story is going to be the Saints.  They are nearly $100M over the cap.  Brees retiring will save them $25M (after June 1) which brings them down to $71M give or take a few dollars.  There are a few things they can do to chop that down more but they are going to hurt.  Most of the guys they can get cap relief from by trading pre-June 1 aren't really the kind of guys teams will want that badly.

Except for two:  Lattimore and Ramczyk.  They cost $10.2M and $11.1M against the cap respectively with no dead money since they are in the last year of their rookie deals.  NO will need draft picks badly to replenish the roster after they cut other guys who they can't trade.  They can try to extend them both and push a lot of money into SB to lower the 2021 cost, but it may not be possible for them to keep both or may just be smarter for them to convert one of them into a premium draft pick.

This is where I expect teams like NYJ, JAX and MIA to step in with offers.

I would consider giving NO our #34 pick for either of those guys.  They will be expensive to re-sign but they are both worth it as they are top players at their positions and young.  And we happen to have great need for both a CB and a RT.  The way CB stacks up in this draft, I think there will be some solid prospects available at the #34 slot.

It's a match made in heaven.  The Saints are absolutely the team to watch over the next 3 months.  

One more name to consider.  PHI is also in cap hell and has very few ways out.  Their most tradable asset from a cap savings perspective is Derek Barnett, who saves them about $10M in a trade pre-June 1.  I don't know a lot about him, but he seems like a solid, if not spectacular, edge defender, which we could use.  Might be worth a look from JD as well.

Been preaching these names for a while, I really hope we have a shot to get them. I think Campbell and Glenn in Detroit are going to poach them since they just coached them. The Jets have made trades with the Saints in the past though, hopefully that connection is still strong!

Barnett makes a ton of sense, I'm hoping this is the direction Douglas goes. I like the idea of getting immediate starters for draft picks!

Go after Marshon Lattimore! We need a #1 CB badly! Look what Gilmore did for the Pats! 

FREE AGENCY- WR, EDGE, GUARD

TRADE- LATTIMORE 

BOOM, SHAKA LAKA

DRAFT- BPA at Oline, TE, Edge, late round LBs & a RB

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I suspect the cap to be 190+ and I suspect there will be a lot of restructures. I also would be surprised if there's not some sort of deal to push off some cap drop to later years. If the player union doesn't push hard for some sort of deal to stop a cap drop on that level, @joewilly12 and @Spoot-Face will rent a flat and film an odd couple TV show.

I think they already agreed to push the cap hits over a few years, that's why the floor was set at $176m. If it ends up being higher like you said then its all gravy and they wouldn't have to really worry.

32 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I call the right side of the bed and remote control privileges.

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, baseball isnt different any more than the rule of supply and demand is different

The salary cap has never gone down like it will this year.  

Baseball depends on the attendance of 82 home games. Football TV ratings are still going up and the next cba will be bigger than the last 

• Confused 1
6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Been preaching these names for a while, I really hope we have a shot to get them. I think Campbell and Glenn in Detroit are going to poach them since they just coached them. The Jets have made trades with the Saints in the past though, hopefully that connection is still strong!

Barnett makes a ton of sense, I'm hoping this is the direction Douglas goes. I like the idea of getting immediate starters for draft picks!

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/

Detroit has some hard decisions to make if they’re going to be able to afford these players. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Baseball depends on the attendance of 82 home games. Football TV ratings are still going up and the next cba will be bigger than the last 

Which in your mind explains the cap going down how exactly?

And teams dumping salary?

4 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

1) No QB to extend

i wouldn't say it hurts.  i think it is more a symptom of a system that caused your list to happen.  in either case it's not necessarily good to have so much cap space.

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which in your mind explains the cap going down how exactly?

And teams dumping salary?

The cap going down for 1 year is not going to lower Ryan ramcyzk asking price assuming he makes it fa at all 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The cap going down for 1 year is not going to lower Ryan ramcyzk asking price assuming he makes it fa at all 

Really?  The logic being that few teams can afford the asking price based on the higher cap.  And of the few that can how many will be bidding on him?

Cant you just say, yeah, fewer teams changes the supply and demand needed this year to sign players and just move on?  

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  The logic being that few teams can afford the asking price based on the higher cap.  And of the few that can how many will be bidding on him?

Cant you just say, yeah, fewer teams changes the supply and demand needed this year to sign players and just move on?  

What you're talking about will affect the low end of the market. All pro types get paid in 5 year spans like Watson. They might have to front load it (like Watson) but if ramcyzk makes it to market, he will get more than Trent brown less than bakthairi. That's how it's going to happen 

What's the alternative he takes Jamal Adams 15 mil because no one else can afford? Believe it when we see it