Jump to content

It's Official: Saleh Signed His Contract; Presser Thurs at 2


Recommended Posts

Definitely happy to see this, although the one thing that couldn't help but catch my eye is that all 3 very clearly stating "partner" in their official statements, which is obviously no accident.  It seems as though Saleh will continue on the tradition of the head coach reporting directly to the Johnsons... so much for that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Saleh’s latest Jets additions include ex-Pro Bowler Miles Austin

New Jets coach Robert Saleh has reportedly added two more coaches to his staff.

The NFL Network reported Saleh will hire Taylor Embree as his running backs coach and Miles Austin as his wide receivers coach. 

The addition of those two brings the total of known assistants coaches to six, all of them on offense

Embree, 32, was the tight ends coach at Colorado last year. He worked with Saleh for three years in San Francisco as the 49ers’ offensive quality control coach. He worked for the Chiefs in 2016 as a defensive assistant. 

Austin, 36, worked with the 49ers in 2019 as an offensive quality control coach. He served as a pro and college scouting intern with the Cowboys before that. 

Saleh also is hiring John Benton as the Jets offensive line coach, according to the report. Benton was the offensive line and running game coordinator for the 49ers.

Greg Knapp, who was the Falcons quarterbacks coach, is expected to join the Jets in the same capacity. And Rob Calabrese, who was an offensive quality control coach for the Broncos, is being hired as a passing game specialist. Calabrese is a Long Island native.

The Jets haven’t announced any of these hires officially.   It’s possible they’re waiting until he travels to New Jersey for his introductory (Zoom call) press conference, which looks like it may take place Thursday.

But the 49ers on Monday announced both the promotion of linebackers coach DeMeco Ryans to replace Saleh as defensive coordinator and run game coordinator Mike McDaniel to offensive coordinator as LaFleur’s replacement.

It’s interesting that the first Saleh hires are all on the offensive side of the ball. His background, of course, is defense. And the Jets are coming off consecutive seasons as the lowest-ranked offense in the NFL.

The 49ers this season, despite injuries at quarterback, were ranked 15th in offense.

As for offensive line play, according to Pro Football Focus, the Jets ranked 31st in pass blocking and 19th in run blocking while the 49ers were 24th and second in those categories.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Robert Saleh’s latest Jets additions include ex-Pro Bowler Miles Austin

New Jets coach Robert Saleh has reportedly added two more coaches to his staff.

The NFL Network reported Saleh will hire Taylor Embree as his running backs coach and Miles Austin as his wide receivers coach. 

The addition of those two brings the total of known assistants coaches to six, all of them on offense

Embree, 32, was the tight ends coach at Colorado last year. He worked with Saleh for three years in San Francisco as the 49ers’ offensive quality control coach. He worked for the Chiefs in 2016 as a defensive assistant. 

Austin, 36, worked with the 49ers in 2019 as an offensive quality control coach. He served as a pro and college scouting intern with the Cowboys before that. 

Saleh also is hiring John Benton as the Jets offensive line coach, according to the report. Benton was the offensive line and running game coordinator for the 49ers.

Greg Knapp, who was the Falcons quarterbacks coach, is expected to join the Jets in the same capacity. And Rob Calabrese, who was an offensive quality control coach for the Broncos, is being hired as a passing game specialist. Calabrese is a Long Island native.

The Jets haven’t announced any of these hires officially.   It’s possible they’re waiting until he travels to New Jersey for his introductory (Zoom call) press conference, which looks like it may take place Thursday.

But the 49ers on Monday announced both the promotion of linebackers coach DeMeco Ryans to replace Saleh as defensive coordinator and run game coordinator Mike McDaniel to offensive coordinator as LaFleur’s replacement.

It’s interesting that the first Saleh hires are all on the offensive side of the ball. His background, of course, is defense. And the Jets are coming off consecutive seasons as the lowest-ranked offense in the NFL.

The 49ers this season, despite injuries at quarterback, were ranked 15th in offense.

As for offensive line play, according to Pro Football Focus, the Jets ranked 31st in pass blocking and 19th in run blocking while the 49ers were 24th and second in those categories.

I have to say, I don't totally get the Austin hire, at least at the position coach level, considering how non-existent his coaching resume is, including no job this past season.  Seems far more like a candidate for a lower-level assistant, like the Jets had Ward in the past 2 years.  With that said, obviously not worth even getting slightly worked up over, as it's more of a question mark than anything, but I guess just seems like a different hire than any of the others.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've never watched or listened to a sports press conference in it's entirety in my life.

I think I will Thursday.

I remember Herm's press conference.  I was pretty jacked!  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Rex had a great presser.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

More pizzaz than production in the long run.

Saleh has certainly done a good job promoting himself and looking the part, but this is another risk for the Jets. The transition from DC to CEO is fairly massive. Can Saleh manage a game? Philosophy on 4th downs/punting? Will he outsource the defense or will he call the plays? Managing the clock? Player competition? etc, etc....questions that wont be asked on Thursday but will certainly find out next season (and where Bowles/Rex failed). I thought the Jets were in dire need if experience, but hopefully Salah is up for the job. It's quite the undertaking.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh has certainly done a good job promoting himself and looking the part, but this is another risk for the Jets. The transition from DC to CEO is fairly massive. Can Saleh manage a game? Philosophy on 4th downs/punting? Will he outsource the defense or will he call the plays? Managing the clock? Player competition etc....questions that wont be asked on Thursday but will certainly find out next season (and where Bowles/Rex failed). I thought the Jets were in dire need if experience, but hopefully Salah is up for the job. It's quite the undertaking.

This was the reason I didn't want to go with a newbie because you just don't know about his in game management. He could be great, he could be awful. Either way, he's certainly going to be learning on the job next year. I'm hopeful, but life has forced me not to give any of these guys the benefit of the doubt. He's bad until proven otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

This was the reason I didn't want to go with a newbie because you just don't know about his in game management. He could be great, he could be awful. Either way, he's certainly going to be learning on the job next year. I'm hopeful, but life has forced me not to give any of these guys the benefit of the doubt. He's bad until proven otherwise.

You hope he's a detail freak and has this ability to walk in and manage everything. You really dont know until the live bullets are flying though. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got this text from my rabid Jets fan friend, Vinnie, this morning:

"I am giddy. It's like Christmas morning as a kid, I find myself holding back tears of joy and wonder. After what we have seen described as leadership and the actual mess that has ensued, it is so good to be just hours away from unity. I lift my glass to someone who can bring the Jets together for the common good, who can bring us actual winning instead of winning last place. Congratulations to Robert Saleh, HC of the New York Jets! Go get 'em, kid!

BTW, Jamal Adams still has as many playoff wins as Marcus Maye."

LMAO at the parting salvo @Jetsfan80 @T0mShane

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 3:36 PM, Bleedin Green said:

Definitely happy to see this, although the one thing that couldn't help but catch my eye is that all 3 very clearly stating "partner" in their official statements, which is obviously no accident.  It seems as though Saleh will continue on the tradition of the head coach reporting directly to the Johnsons... so much for that.

1.  It doesn't matter.

2.  The Jets use 'HC reporting to the owner' as a recruiting tool.  To get the top HC prospect to come to Florham Park, you have to overpay and over-title.

3.  In the end, any fan who thinks that a GM has sole power to fire a HC without owner involvement is extremely naïve.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

I've never watched or listened to a sports press conference in it's entirety in my life.

I think I will Thursday.

Then you missed out.  The Parcells postgame press conferences were often more entertaining than the games themselves.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know the presser will be streaming live on the Jets official website? I'm too lazy to go check, and quite frankly, I expect someone else to do it for me and get back to me. What did that website ever do for me, anyway, except stimulate some kind of a pain response. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Does anyone know the presser will be streaming live on the Jets official website? I'm too lazy to go check, and quite frankly, I expect someone else to do it for me and get back to me. What did that website ever do for me, anyway, except stimulate some kind of a pain response. 

Yes it will.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/tune-in-robert-saleh-introductory-press-conference

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Is the delay on the DC the fact that he might still be with an active playoff team? 

I saw the post where the strong candidate(s) were listed, but can't find it again. 

Who is the front runner?

Hiiiii! Quote myself! (James Brown voice)

 

 

Quote

 

Unofficial

  • DC: Jeff Ulbrich, Atlanta Falcons (could also coach LBs)

 

Notes: 

  • Hiring John Benton is a huge score. One of the best line coaches in the league; Jets were able to lure him by “promoting” to Run Game Coordinator.
  • Not news: Douglas/Saleh/LaFleur are all Sam Darnold fans.  News: Greg Knapp is a huge Sam Darnold fan. He’s coached among the best, and thought Darnold was Andrew Luck-level prospect. More and more it’s looking like this coaching staff will look to develop Darnold as opposed to getting rid of him. Rich Scangarello, who the Jets also considered, signed with the 49ers.
  • Raheem Morris is among the top candidates for the DC position, but it sounds like he’ll choose JAX. It makes sense for him (more power, no state income tax, etc.) 
  • There are a number of defensive coaches being looked at, many who have worked with Saleh before (Todd Walsh, Marquand Manuel, Mike Rutenberg). Another name to keep an eye on is Anthony Weaver; he’s highly respected and Joe Douglas likes him a lot

 

Got my head out of my fourth point of contact and found the football guy quote. 

Any reason for the delay on this hiring though, since all others announced? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Is the delay on the DC the fact that he might still be with an active playoff team? 

I saw the post where the strong candidate(s) were listed, but can't find it again. 

Who is the front runner?

Ditto. 

Anyway, I look at this and I feel a glimmer of hope. 

Robert-Saleh-3.jpg

At least he looks the part. I wear my hair very short but if I fold in my arms, strike the same pose, and put on the same getup I don't think it would work. Let me go see . . . no, it didn't work. I look like an air traffic controller.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...