Jump to content

Breaking down the 7 teams that could contend with Jets in potential Watson sweepstakes A division rival appears to be their biggest threat


Recommended Posts

https://www.sny.tv/articles/7-teams-that-could-contend-with-jets-in-potential-deshaun-watson-sweepstakes

No one knows for sure if Deshaun Watson will actually demand to be traded from the Houston Texans. And if he does, there’s no guarantee the Texans will agree to do it.

But if they do, one thing about this situation is certain: There aren’t many teams better positioned to make a run at the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback than the Jets.

That’s not to say the Jets will do it, of course. But if – IF – they decide to go after Watson, Jets GM Joe Douglas has put them in a great position to make that kind of bold move. With four first-round picks in the next two drafts and perhaps as much as $100 million in salary cap space this offseason, they are one of the few teams in the NFL that can afford Watson’s contract and the cost of the trade.

That’s assuming Watson would be willing to waive his “no trade” clause to come to New York, of course.

If Watson is ever officially put on the trading block, he’ll surely draw interest from half the teams in the league. But the reality is that only a few will be seriously able to pursue it.

Here’s a look at how the chase for Watson theoretically sets up:

JETS

They are not the favorites, but they would definitely be contenders given what they have to offer and the fact that everyone is convinced the price will be three first-round picks, at least. The four first-round picks the Jets have over the next two years gives them flexibility, especially since there’s extra value in having the No. 2 overall pick in 2021. They have two third-round picks this year too. So conceivably they could offer, say, both their first-round picks this year and one next year, plus their now-expendable, 23-year-old quarterback, Sam Darnold. The Texans might not be able to get a better package anywhere else. However, Watson would have to agree to join a 2-14 that just traded most of its first-round picks for the next few years away.

Miami Dolphins

Watson has reportedly put the Dolphins atop his wish list, and why wouldn’t he? They are farther along in their rebuilding than the Jets and have a strong base of young talent that just made a run at the playoffs this year. Also, there’s no state income tax in Florida which is significant for any wealthy person with options. The Dolphins do have two firsts and two seconds in this draft, plus a talented, young, inexpensive quarterback in Tua Tagovailoa. If the Texans like Tagovailoa then the Dolphins have the ammunition to get something done and they could be very hard to beat.

Carolina Panthers

Considered to be one of the sleeper teams in the chase, their selling point would be 28-year-old quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. They don’t have extra picks so it would probably cost them their first-rounders in 2022 and 2023 too. The Texans, if they’re smart, would ask for running back Christian McCaffrey in return. Trading their best player would be a bold move by the Panthers. But if Matt Rhule believes a franchise quarterback is that much more valuable than a franchise running back, it might not be so crazy.

Denver Broncos

Nobody goes through quarterbacks quite like John Elway, so it’s hard to believe that the Broncos’ president won’t be involved in this if Watson is available. He’d have to sell the Texans on quarterback Drew Lock and the No. 9 pick, plus a future first-rounder or two. What if they made Bradley Chubb part of the deal? It might be worth it to have Watson throwing to Courtland Sutton and Jerry Jeudy.

San Francisco 49ers

They’re an intriguing possibility because clearly Watson is better than Jimmy Garoppolo, but the 29-year-old Garoppolo is still good enough to have some value to the Texans. One big problem is Garoppolo reportedly has a no-trade clause for 2021. But his contract also makes it easy for the 49ers to cut him and not take a big cap hit. So they could conceivably do that and then deal for Watson. But would a package of first-round picks without Garoppolo be enough? Maybe, if they were willing to include Nick Bosa. That’s probably crazy, but they did have the NFL’s fifth-ranked defense this year even with Bosa missing most of the season.

Indianapolis Colts

They are a team built to win now and they seem to be ready to move on from quarterback Philip Rivers. They have the cap room to add Watson and would surely be willing to give up their next three first-rounders plus to get a guy who could make them immediate Super Bowl contenders. Their biggest problem? There’s no chance the Texans are dumb enough to trade Watson to another team in their division.

 

Jacksonville Jaguars

Yes, the Jaguars are in the same division too, but they do have something that could make the Texans do the unthinkable: The rights to Trevor Lawrence. If he really is the “generational prospect” so many think, maybe it’s worth it to the Texans to get him, even if they have to face Watson twice a year for the foreseeable future. Plus the Jaguars have two firsts, two seconds and two fourths to deal this year. And does anyone really think Urban Meyer is going to stick around in Jacksonville for a long rebuilding project? This might be his best chance to try and win now.

Chicago Bears

The Bears seem to be on everybody’s list of teams expected to be in the Watson chase. But with what? They don’t have a good quarterback to send back to the Texans. They don’t have the cap space. And they only have their own first-round picks in the next two drafts. They’d have to get very creative to make any kind of a run.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you write this or is it an article? Texans don’t want Tua or Bridgewater or Garrapolo. They want a FQB to reset with. So if Texans are ok with Fields or Wilson then Jets or Dolphins are the teams best positioned. If they are dead set on 1 of those 2 then the Jets are more attractive. 
 

Watson may prefer Miami, but I don’t think he can stick it to the Texans and their fans by not going to the Jets getting them the 2nd best Qb in the draft. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Completely idiotic article. Trading 3 #1s and Darnold for Watson is just not in the realm of reality

Not according to Cimini...

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Philc1 said:

Tua is a glorified Jay Fiedler with serious medical issues

 

Jets have the Seattle picks plus Darnold

 

edge Jets

Darnold > Tua

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Urban Meyer should pull the trigger because the only NFL QB he ever developed was Alex Smith, from his time at Utah. Every other QB who who he had in college and made it to the NFL busted. And he chose Haskins over Burroughs. So, his track record is terrible. If he wants to succeed in the NFL, he should trade for the ready made product of a franchise QB in Watson.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bronx said:

Not according to Cimini...

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

Holy Crap does Cimini lurk here?  I heard this nonsense over the weekend 

 

You cannot evaluate leverage based on JD robbing Seattle.  Let’s do the flip side what did Houston get for Hopkins?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What's not here is he stay in Houston when they hire Bienemy...

I hope the front office is not wasting calories on this distraction.

Will be helpful if the Chiefs lose on Sunday so the Texans can hire Watson's guy and end this drama

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Holy Crap does Cimini lurk here?  I heard this nonsense over the weekend 

 

You cannot evaluate leverage based on JD robbing Seattle.  Let’s do the flip side what did Houston get for Hopkins?

100% on point!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Not according to Cimini...

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

Yes, it will cost more than 3 first.  I mean not sure any other team can offer more than that though.

We can offer both 1's this year and both 1's next yea.  Really wouldn't be the end of the world...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Not according to Cimini...

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

OK once again "3 first round picks" is not a universal amount of draft value. KC's 3 first rounders is less than Clevelands, and on up the list.

The Jets have the #2 pick in the draft in a draft with 3 likely FQB prospects and a super elite OT prospect.

The value of the #2 pick alone is worth at minimum 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder for someone in the 5-8 range, probably more. It is probably worth 3 rounders itself. The value for Watson and a draft pick are independent.

So if the Jets are idiotic enough to do the trade listed here, they would essentially be trading at least the value of 2 high end first round picks 2 mid/late 1st round picks and a high second round pick. That's at least 4 first rounders and a 2nd rounder  I mean we would be giving away more than a first rounder extra over someone elses offer.

That is crazy. It is more value than the RGIII trade.

The #2 pick needs to be completely off the table in a trade.

Also, Houston is completely leveraged. They will not get what this article purports in my opinion.

Also we got 2 first round picks for Jamal but we got that because Seattle's picks are guaranteed almost to be in the high 20s. The 23 we got this year is essentially a best case scenario. Factor in about 30 points for the 3rd/4th swap and maybe a 5th for McDougald and the total value we got is around 1300-1500 points or about a single first in the 7-10 range.

Doing the trade that is suggested would basically be 3 times what Seattle gave up for Adams.

First rounders are not remotely equal in value. And the value is based on the expected success of the pick.

Like I said 3 ones for Watson is idiotic.

 

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Not according to Cimini...

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

The difference is that Adams was traded for 2 first round picks in the 20s.  We would be sending them #2 overall to acquire a QB and 2 other first round picks.  Cimin isnt really making an apples to apples comparison. 

What if Urban loved Watson - would Jacksonville have to trade Trever Lawerence and 3 firsts for Watson?  They could prob do it straight up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Not according to Cimini...

The price would be exorbitant. You're talking about at least three first-round picks. Think about it: If Jamal Adams fetched two first-rounders -- a strong safety -- imagine the cost for a 25-year-old quarterback who has made three Pro Bowls and is signed through 2025.

Cimini is wrong as the two situations are not comparable.

Seattle was desperate for defensive help and are in win-now mode.  So they overpaid.  They didn't set the market for a disgruntled quarterback with a massive salary and an attitude problem.

The Jets can do nothing, get Fields, trade Darnold, and use that horde of picks to fix the D, OL, WR's, and many other areas.  Many would say that is the best course of action.  We're not desperate for Watson.  The Texans are desperate for Fields.  Come to papa.

SAR I

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

My guess is it'll be the Jets, Dolphins, or no one.

The Panthers are definitely in play. 

They have 3 good receivers, a super star RB, Joe Brady, and a location he is familiar with.

Watson is from Georgia and Charlotte is just a couple of hours away from Clemson.

Plus Brees is done, and TB12 probably has one more season in the NFCS.  The Falcons are irrelevant.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, it will cost more than 3 first.  I mean not sure any other team can offer more than that though.

We can offer both 1's this year and both 1's next yea.  Really wouldn't be the end of the world...

The issue with the 4 1s that you refer to is that we would essentially be negotiating against ourselves. 

3 teams have 2 firsts in 2021 - Jets, Jacksonville (not trading) and Miami.

1 team has 2 firsts in 2022 - Jets.

If the texans say ok - we are not moving from 4 firsts, then Deshaun would have to sign off on either a trade to miami or to a team who wont have a first round pick for the next 4 years of his career, thats how he winds up right back where he is now.

OR

He tells the texans "Im done here and will only waive my no-trade clause to go to XYZ Specific team".  At that point, why would he not recruit a WR who we can afford and essentially force the Texans hands to trading for #2 which is more valuable then a regular first and some package of additional picks.  Preferably 2, 2022 first and 2023 first so we can keep building around him with two 2021 picks in the top 35 and a first and second in 2022.  Isnt that the best case for him?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Like I said 3 ones for Watson is idiotic.

You may not agree with it but it is not idiotic for a top 5 QB. It would be idiotic to not even consider..... as you have made abundantly clear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The Panthers are definitely in play. 

They have 3 good receivers, a super star RB, Joe Brady, and a location he is familiar with.

Watson is from Georgia and Charlotte is just a couple of hours away from Clemson.

Plus Brees is done, and TB12 probably has one more season in the NFCS.  The Falcons are irrelevant.

You are looking at this backwards.  It has nothing to do with teams that want Watson.

It has everything to do with teams that have a starting quarterback for Houston, and we have two.  

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You are looking at this backwards.  It has nothing to do with teams that want Watson.

It has everything to do with teams that have a starting quarterback for Houston, and we have two.  

SAR I

 

07C3C272-5281-4903-A7E8-771995701842.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like Saleh is building a staff to coach Darnold. Doing so, gives JD multiple options with what to do with the #2 pick. So the wheels seem already in motion and I don’t think the he and JD are going to do an about face for Watson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The Panthers are definitely in play. 

They have 3 good receivers, a super star RB, Joe Brady, and a location he is familiar with.

Watson is from Georgia and Charlotte is just a couple of hours away from Clemson.

Plus Brees is done, and TB12 probably has one more season in the NFCS.  The Falcons are irrelevant.

I don't think they can offer nearly as much as the Jets or Dolphins can. Watson would have to veto any trade to NY or Miami to open the door for Carolina. They'd also have to shuffle around some cap space, but that may be do-able.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Miami is humid with some of the most malformed humans I have ever encountered. I'd rather pay big taxes to avoid going there. If Watson chooses them over us.. then good. Means he's a legit dummy and I can't stand having another one of those as our QB. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://www.sny.tv/articles/7-teams-that-could-contend-with-jets-in-potential-deshaun-watson-sweepstakes

No one knows for sure if Deshaun Watson will actually demand to be traded from the Houston Texans. And if he does, there’s no guarantee the Texans will agree to do it.

But if they do, one thing about this situation is certain: There aren’t many teams better positioned to make a run at the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback than the Jets.

That’s not to say the Jets will do it, of course. But if – IF – they decide to go after Watson, Jets GM Joe Douglas has put them in a great position to make that kind of bold move. With four first-round picks in the next two drafts and perhaps as much as $100 million in salary cap space this offseason, they are one of the few teams in the NFL that can afford Watson’s contract and the cost of the trade.

That’s assuming Watson would be willing to waive his “no trade” clause to come to New York, of course.

If Watson is ever officially put on the trading block, he’ll surely draw interest from half the teams in the league. But the reality is that only a few will be seriously able to pursue it.

Here’s a look at how the chase for Watson theoretically sets up:

JETS

They are not the favorites, but they would definitely be contenders given what they have to offer and the fact that everyone is convinced the price will be three first-round picks, at least. The four first-round picks the Jets have over the next two years gives them flexibility, especially since there’s extra value in having the No. 2 overall pick in 2021. They have two third-round picks this year too. So conceivably they could offer, say, both their first-round picks this year and one next year, plus their now-expendable, 23-year-old quarterback, Sam Darnold. The Texans might not be able to get a better package anywhere else. However, Watson would have to agree to join a 2-14 that just traded most of its first-round picks for the next few years away.

Miami Dolphins

Watson has reportedly put the Dolphins atop his wish list, and why wouldn’t he? They are farther along in their rebuilding than the Jets and have a strong base of young talent that just made a run at the playoffs this year. Also, there’s no state income tax in Florida which is significant for any wealthy person with options. The Dolphins do have two firsts and two seconds in this draft, plus a talented, young, inexpensive quarterback in Tua Tagovailoa. If the Texans like Tagovailoa then the Dolphins have the ammunition to get something done and they could be very hard to beat.

Carolina Panthers

Considered to be one of the sleeper teams in the chase, their selling point would be 28-year-old quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. They don’t have extra picks so it would probably cost them their first-rounders in 2022 and 2023 too. The Texans, if they’re smart, would ask for running back Christian McCaffrey in return. Trading their best player would be a bold move by the Panthers. But if Matt Rhule believes a franchise quarterback is that much more valuable than a franchise running back, it might not be so crazy.

Denver Broncos

Nobody goes through quarterbacks quite like John Elway, so it’s hard to believe that the Broncos’ president won’t be involved in this if Watson is available. He’d have to sell the Texans on quarterback Drew Lock and the No. 9 pick, plus a future first-rounder or two. What if they made Bradley Chubb part of the deal? It might be worth it to have Watson throwing to Courtland Sutton and Jerry Jeudy.

San Francisco 49ers

They’re an intriguing possibility because clearly Watson is better than Jimmy Garoppolo, but the 29-year-old Garoppolo is still good enough to have some value to the Texans. One big problem is Garoppolo reportedly has a no-trade clause for 2021. But his contract also makes it easy for the 49ers to cut him and not take a big cap hit. So they could conceivably do that and then deal for Watson. But would a package of first-round picks without Garoppolo be enough? Maybe, if they were willing to include Nick Bosa. That’s probably crazy, but they did have the NFL’s fifth-ranked defense this year even with Bosa missing most of the season.

Indianapolis Colts

They are a team built to win now and they seem to be ready to move on from quarterback Philip Rivers. They have the cap room to add Watson and would surely be willing to give up their next three first-rounders plus to get a guy who could make them immediate Super Bowl contenders. Their biggest problem? There’s no chance the Texans are dumb enough to trade Watson to another team in their division.

 

Jacksonville Jaguars

Yes, the Jaguars are in the same division too, but they do have something that could make the Texans do the unthinkable: The rights to Trevor Lawrence. If he really is the “generational prospect” so many think, maybe it’s worth it to the Texans to get him, even if they have to face Watson twice a year for the foreseeable future. Plus the Jaguars have two firsts, two seconds and two fourths to deal this year. And does anyone really think Urban Meyer is going to stick around in Jacksonville for a long rebuilding project? This might be his best chance to try and win now.

Chicago Bears

The Bears seem to be on everybody’s list of teams expected to be in the Watson chase. But with what? They don’t have a good quarterback to send back to the Texans. They don’t have the cap space. And they only have their own first-round picks in the next two drafts. They’d have to get very creative to make any kind of a run.

 

Just a lil bit disappointed that each of these teams/paragraphs wasn't given its own separate thread so that we could discuss in detail the probability of Deshaun Watson playing for them.

Oh well, opportunity lost.

Comedy Central Reaction GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pointman said:

Miami is humid with some of the most malformed humans I have ever encountered. I'd rather pay big taxes to avoid going there. If Watson chooses them over us.. then good. Means he's a legit dummy and I can't stand having another one of those as our QB. 

heres some of those malformed  humans 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH1qlDLR0psOuk2XAonTN

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...