I don't want Watson, I want a better team

Dcronin

Watsons cap hit is very low this year so we could add some quality free agents to run with him. Jets can absolutely afford 2 mega stars not that I see Douglas doing it but the potential is there. I also don’t think Joe D is going to part with both of our 1sts AND our 2nd this year. He’ll keep #34 and will add a 2nd from a later draft if so. Our 3 biggest weaknesses last year were QB IOL and WR. If you trade for Watson, sign Allen Robinson and draft Wyatt Davis/Humphrey/Dickerson/Trey Smith The offense would be greatly improved. We’d still have money for a corner or an edge rusher. We also have two 3rd round picks and enough cap space to trade one for a quality player from a team looking to shed a contract. This team could and probably would win quick with Watson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

We just saw what can happen when Deshaun Watson is on a team lacking talent - he goes 4-12.

We are so much farther away from contending than just a QB. We need all the help we can get, we need all the picks we can get. 

Trade down, sign FAs, do anything to get an influx of talent. But don't give up a ransom for Deshaun.

That's where I'm leaning. Okay, now talk me into how we get Deshaun and still get better.

DC

What is to say he doesn't pout like a baby when things don't go his way again?  Incredibly fun to watch, and highly talented.  Great!  If he throws a tantrum against his team, he is not a team player.  Period.  

I get not being happy with your boss, but there are right ways to handle it and poor ways.  

JMO

• Thumb Down 4
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

2020 Winning Percentage

Deshaun Watson - 25%

Sam Darnold - 17%

We want to give up a bunch of 1st round picks for what again?

Hide Reaction GIF by flor

:hap:

Aaron Rodgers in 2018, 6-9-1. Would have made the same argument against Rodgers? Because that would look really stupid after back to back 13-3 seasons. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is more than one path to success. Anyone that thinks getting Watson is a horrible idea is a fool and conversely anyone that says passing on Watson is a horrible idea is also a fool. 

The benefit of adding Watson are pretty clear.

1- He is 25 and already a franchise QB and arguably the best QB this organization has ever had (Sorry Joe). 

2- We have 4 1st round picks the next 2  years so giving up 2 isn't that devastating to our rebuild

3- We have 9 draft picks this year. Again, Joe did a great job stockpiling picks so we have the chance to improve this roster even if we give up #2 plus

4- This team is not Houston. Houston is an aging relic of a team in cap hell this year. We can afford to bring in Watson and have cap space to bring in some more players to build the team fast. 

5- Most importantly, who cares how bad Houston did last year? They don't WANT to trade him. He is forcing a trade. Some of you are acting as if they are fed up with Watson. 

6- In 2018, the Packers were 6-9-1 with Rodgers. Would you have said "Why get Rodgers when the Packers can't win with him????" The next year, the Packers went  13-3. You know what changed? The coach. You know what's changing in NY? The coach. 

7- Do we really want Allen on the Bills and Watson on the Dolphins? Are we rebuilding for 2031 when those guys may be out of their prime? 

Also, the Jets have cap space and are running a Shanahan offense that peppers the #1 receiver in a year that three big time WR’s have a chance to hit FA.

The Jets can maybe sell one of those guys on money and the role. It’s a way easier sell when you add Watson into the equation.

And Allen Robinson has basically already confirmed this for us.

• Upvote 2

With a real QB other real talent will want to make this a destination. No one wants to come here to protect a lame QB, to run routes and not have a good ball thrown their way, or get their CTE chances up by getting their head smashed to see some QB who is lost in the pocket. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I’ve said it a few times - If Watson was our qb last year, I think we win at least 5 more games.

NE, LV, LAC, DEN, 2nd Bills Game.

and that’s with terrible coaching and mediocre talent.

Change if Watson was our QB last year to if Saleh was our coach and you can make the same argument.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans: No WAY do u trade three firsts for Deshaun Watson!!! !!!

Also Jets fans: Check out my mock offseason where I draft six guard prospects and sign Teddy Bridgewater to a 4 year deal at $18 million per

I agree, no way. And, please, doesn't everyone know "using the Jets as leverage" tactic as much as it used?

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

That's where I'm leaning. Okay, now talk me into how we get Deshaun and still get better.

Because getting Watson gives you a better team. Watson is arguably a top 3 QB at 25 years old on a contract that will look like pennies in a few years. You can realistically still construct a better roster around him than he had last year in Houston with your remaining resources. Striking a deal on Watson before FA gives the Jets much more appeal from the likes of Allen Robinson & so on.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Name two of the Packers starting offensive linemen without Googling it

I understand your point, but GB actually had an elite OL all year until they lost Bakhitari who is an all-pro and Corey Lindsey who is excellent.  Elton Jenkins was also a great 2nd round pick 2 years ago.

I dont know why people arent looking at the big picture when they talk about mortgaging our future.  If we had our regular picks and gave them all up for Watson, we would struggle to build a team around him.  But we have double the allotment of first round picks so trading some of them for an elite QB is simply not mortgaging the future.

• Upvote 1