I don't want Watson, I want a better team

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We just saw what can happen when Deshaun Watson is on a team lacking talent - he goes 4-12. We are so much farther away from contending than just a QB. We need all the help we can get, we need al

I also want the Jets to suck forever

4 first round picks? No. 3? Maybe, depending on the picks 2? Yes Everything is dependent on price

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It didn't work out because Darnold is the worst starting QB in the NFL.  Deshaun Watson is a top 5 QB in the NFL.  

Please don't pull the "Texans only won 4 games!" card here.  I don't want you to get embarrassed.  I like you too much.

Oh, that is not the card I would play.  Darnold is the worst starting QB because he had the worst roster and coach in team history.  Watson wouldn't fair very well either.  I am not saying he isn't good.  But to me, he isn't worth the contract he signed, and isn't worth AT LEAST 3 first round picks.

I will trust JD on this one though.

image.png.96eae9bbaa4b278eefcd6b3a50c7ac32.png

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't imagine the Texans doing this trade without getting the # 2 pick in the deal.  That would have to be a non-starter.  The Texans need to immediately replace Watson with a QB.  Otherwise the end result might be the NFL forcing McNair to sell the team in the aftermath of that disaster.

Hell, a sale of the team might happen regardless of how this plays out.

We have all the leverage.

1. Watson wants to come here

2. Watson has a no-trade clause

3.  Only team that can give a similar package is Miami and we have more assets on the form of the Seattle picks plus Sam Darnold

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Oh, that is not the card I would play.  Darnold is the worst starting QB because he had the worst roster and coach in team history.  Watson wouldn't fair very well either.  I am not saying he isn't good.  But to me, he isn't worth the contract he signed, and isn't worth AT LEAST 3 first round picks.

I will trust JD on this one though.

fail merry go round GIF

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

We have all the leverage.

1. Watson wants to come here

2. Watson has a no-trade clause

3.  Only team that can give a similar package is Miami and we have more assets on the form of the Seattle picks plus Sam Darnold

Exactly my point Philc1.  The Texans are a mess thanks to O'Brien.  They have no picks in the first two rounds, and only two in the top 100 (#67 & # 99).

We have #2, #23, #34, #66, #86, #97, this year, and we have at least 4 more in the top 100 in 2022.

#23, #34, a #1 & #2 from 2022 and perhaps another pick from 2023, and Sam Darnold is good compensation for a team that is over a barrel.  

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Oh, that is not the card I would play.  Darnold is the worst starting QB because he had the worst roster and coach in team history. 

Joe Flacco was more than competent under center in the exact same circumstances.  Meaning Darnold is worse than a 35-year old, disinterested QB who had 1 foot in retirement.  

The only QB Darnold is definitely better than is Luke Falk.  The rest of the league's QB's, its very much up for debate.

Its both true that the Jets roster and coaching were terrible AND Darnold is also terrible.  These aren't mutually exclusive.  The Jets being bad does not make Darnold good.  In fact, it should be quite easy to accept that bad teams draft bad QB's like Darnold.  Just like the Jets drafted bad QB's in Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. 

This isn't hard to figure out.  Darnold isn't secretly awesome.  He's exactly what we've seen on the field for 3 seasons.  A guy who misses open receivers constantly (and has no real ability to "throw them open"), can't make presnap reads, constantly looks confused, throws off his back foot into traffic, and can't stay healthy.  He'll give you 2-3 good games a year, a few "OK ones" and about 8-9 terrible ones.  That's not a starting caliber NFL QB.  

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Flacco was more than competent under center in the exact same circumstances.  Meaning Darnold is worse than a 35-year old, disinterested QB who had 1 foot in retirement.  

The only QB Darnold is definitely better than is Luke Falk.  The rest of the league's QB's, its very much up for debate.

Its both true that the Jets roster and coaching were terrible AND Darnold is also terrible.  These aren't mutually exclusive.  The Jets being bad does not make Darnold good.  In fact, it should be quite easy to accept that bad teams draft bad QB's like Darnold.  Just like the Jets drafted bad QB's in Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.  This isn't hard to figure out.

His total of 10 points in his 1st two games starting with the jets is a testimony to that.

Also if Flacco did so well and Darnold is the problem then why spend all of these resources on Watson?  A moderate upgrade to Qb position and we are good to go.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

His total of 10 points in his 1st two games starting with the jets is a testimony to that.

Also if Flacco did so well and Darnold is the problem then why spend all of these resources on Watson?  A moderate upgrade to Qb position and we are good to go.

Even a marginal improvement or equal performance with Joe Flacco’s ghost disqualifies a QB at the peak of his physical powers as a secret-FQB-in-hiding. No one is arguing Flacco is good. Just that there is no daylight between him and Darnold. That’s pretty damning.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because Flacco sucks, Darnold just sucks worse, and Flacco's play is proof that Darnold's poor performance wasn't completely tied to the roster/coaching.  Darnold should be playing at a much, much higher level than Flacco at this point in their respective careers, but he isn't. 

This isn't rocket science.  Neither are acceptable QB's in the league, and we should be looking for much, much more out of the QB position.  Watson, meanwhile, is elite.  And you can't be a contender in this league without having one of the top QB's.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I refuse to ask what the hell you googled to find that 

.." LAST jets fan standing "   👻 

• Haha 1

Lets put some names to these numbers for this trade:  (If the Jets trade down from #2 overall)

Jamarr Chase (or Devonta smith or Kyle Pitts or Zac Wilson)

Jaycee Horn (or Gregory Rousseau)

Najee Harris

Wyatt Davis

2022 1st round pick

2022 4th round pick

For

Deshaun Watson

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Lets put some names to these numbers for this trade:  (If the Jets trade down from #2 overall)

Jamarr Chase (or Devonta smith or Kyle Pitts or Zac Wilson)

Jaycee Horn (or Gregory Rousseau)

Najee Harris

Wyatt Davis

2022 1st round pick

2022 4th round pick

For

Deshaun Watson

Sold. No takebacks.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Sold. No takebacks.

I'd rather have the possibility of getting:

a #1 WR or TE

a #1 Cb or #1 rush end

a #1 RB

a #1 OG

all in one draft

and have three 1st round picks next year to address the QB position than Watson.

Watson had a great year at Houston, they won 4 games, 4 of the top 8 passing QBs missed the playoffs.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If Miami wants to get raped, sure.  

This team is not good enough to give all that draft capital away and put Watson in to be the saviour.  We did that once with Darnold.  Didn't work so well.  Watson had a team around him the first few years.  I don't think he does that here without talent.  

For what it's worth, and it's worth a whole ******* lot, despite having a weakened team around him, Deshaun Watson had a 70% completion percentage, threw for over 4800 yards, with 33 TDs and 7 INTs.  THIS YEAR.  THIS ******* YEAR.

Both rosters are poor.  But, there's a difference.  Deshaun Watson is a great football player and Sam Darnold ******* sucks.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

a #1 WR or TE

a #1 Cb or #1 rush end

a #1 RB

a #1 OG

all in one draft

and have three 1st round picks next year to address the QB position than Watson.

Watson had a great year at Houston, they won 4 games, 4 of the top 8 passing QBs missed the playoffs.

Hitting 50% in the draft gets a GM into the HOF.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

a #1 WR or TE

a #1 Cb or #1 rush end

a #1 RB

a #1 OG

all in one draft

yes / agreed !   😎

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

53 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't get it.

If the Texans called and said, give us Jamal Adams and the #2 pick, you'd do a ******* jig.

But, now that Jamal Adams is two draft picks, "hold up, we need a better team before we upgrade from the worst QB in the NFL."

it is different, we fleeced the hell out of seattle so it is not jamal and #2 overall

I don't know how the f*ck anyone can watch the modern NFL and not see immediately that a great QB is what is needed to be a consistent team. Look at the 4 QB's left and the seasons they had. Watson was right there with them. Then take a look at what our guy did.

I feel like I'm losing my mind reading some of these takes. We haven't had a franchise QB since Joe f*cking Namath and some people are hesitant to pull the trigger on Watson lest we disrupt our 52 year rebuild. Get the f*ck out of here with this bullsh*t.

If you get Watson you probably have a decade to put a good team around him. If we don't get him then we could very well go another 50 years looking for the same jackpot.

• Upvote 3
15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

it is different, we fleeced the hell out of seattle so it is not jamal and #2 overall

I mean, considering I would have taken a 2nd rounder for Jamal, yeah, we got an amazing return.  But, we could flip that return into an investment into a top QB.  Which sounds like a great use of resources, and we'd still have plenty of FA money, and other picks to go with it.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

I don't know how the f*ck anyone can watch the modern NFL and not see immediately that a great QB is what is needed to be a consistent team. Look at the 4 QB's left and the seasons they had. Watson was right there with them. Then take a look at what our guy did.

I feel like I'm losing my mind reading some of these takes. We haven't had a franchise QB since Joe f*cking Namath and some people are hesitant to pull the trigger on Watson lest we disrupt our 52 year rebuild. Get the f*ck out of here with this bullsh*t.

If you get Watson you probably have a decade to put a good team around him. If we don't get him then we could very well go another 50 years looking for the same jackpot.

Very simple.

The number one fear of a meaningful portion of fans is not missing out on another FQB, it's that Sam Darnold, despite being the worst QB in the league, becomes a FQB elsewhere.

• Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Like I said earlier in the thread - people don't want to admit they were wrong about Darnold. Once you accept that as truth everything else makes sense.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, Nick Blitz said:

Watson has the ability to elevate the mediocre talent we already have and that’s before he attracts some decent FAs. Hell he made Chad Hansen look like a decent receiver.

4-12 baby.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The mantra of people who just don't get it and seemingly never will.  You're smarter than this.  I think.

Why is that comment a problem and why do people not 'get it'?

That comment is made when a comment is stated that the moment we get watson he will transform us into a great team.

He had a great year, and the team won 4 games

4 of the top 8 passers in this league missed the playoffs.

Winning is more about just one Qb and 4-12 proves it.

You may not like people dragging out 4 wins but it is what it is.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That comment is made when a comment is stated that the moment we get watson he will transform us into a great team.

Because its being used to suggest:  1) That Watson isn't a great QB, or 2) That even if he is, he's not worth having for the picks.  

The 1st point is clearly stupid.  The 2nd point is also silly for the multitude of reasons provided already.  Just because one franchise did a poor job of building around an elite QB does not mean they aren't worth acquiring for a high price.  You literally can't win a Super Bowl without a top flight QB in this league anymore.  You have to have one.  So whether the Jets were to trade for a QB or draft one, heavy resources will need to be spent on a QB eventually.  The same people demanding a trade down from 2 this year will be demanding a trade UP the following year for a QB, when it becomes crystal clear Sam Darnold is not the guy.

Also, consider this:  The Texans were not a very good franchise prior to Watson.  From 2002-2016 (15 years), the franchise won just 4 division titles (in a historically bad division, no less) and 3 playoff games.  With Watson, they won 2 division titles and a playoff game in just a 3-year period.  So the Texans themselves are evidence of how much better things are and can be with a young franchise QB.  

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It’s the elephant in the room that Watson dreamers refuse to confront as they fap themselves into a DW4 stupor...it’s relevant, some people just want to pretend it didn’t happen 

Just now, redlichtie said:

It’s the elephant in the room that Watson dreamers refuse to confront as they fap themselves into a DW4 stupor...it’s relevant, some people just want to pretend it didn’t happen 

Do you think going from the worst QB in the league to one of the 5 best QB in the league would have a significant impact on the W/L record of the team? Asking for a friend.

• Upvote 1