Kirk Cousins vs Deshaun Watson

QB1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think this was the exact point QB1 was making.

People hate cousins

People adore watson

Their numbers are very close

You actually have to be so unplugged into the game to think the similar numbers makes them similar players.  

• Upvote 3

Cousins is a pretty good qb.  Yeah, he has weapons, but if Minnesota had a good defense, they would be in the playoffs, and you would not be ranking on Cousins so much. Cousins is very solid and Watson is more dynamic and exciting, and the comparison is actually good - because it's the same decision (regarding Cousins and Watson) - to go for a really good qb, but spend a lot of resources on him, or not to take one, and keep our money and draft picks.  We thought we were so smart not taking Cousins and getting DArnold instead....didn't work out so great after all. Cousins would not have made us a winner, but neither could Watson if we don't have the pieces.

11 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The difference between Watson and Cousins is that Watson elevates his game in crunch time. The kid is clutch, and he has been since day 1. While Cousins has had a few moments, he comes up small in clutch moments more often than delivering, far more often.

So you're saying that outcomes and results are more important than pure stats???

Get out of here with that crazy talk!! Rational thinking is dangerous!!

:D 

11 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

#? picking 

100%

If my QB is going to throw INTs, better they all come together. One bad game = one loss. Several bad games = several losses.

If you take it to the extreme ... do you want a guy who throws 2 picks every game, or one who throws 32 picks in one game and none in the other 15? :-) 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, QB1 said:

Last three year avg 

Kirk 

4055 yards 30 TDs 9 INTs

Deshaun 

4280 yard 28 TDs 9 INTs

Last year both lost their #1 receivers 

Kirk 

4300/35/13

Deshaun 

4800/33/7

I get it, but do we really expect s rookie qb to come in and get anywhere close to any of those numbers?  

39 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I get it, but do we really expect s rookie qb to come in and get anywhere close to any of those numbers?  

Look Deshaun is the man, but when you pose the fact that he went 4-12 with 2 wins vs the jags the response is “yez but he put up Amazing statz!”. Maybe stats don’t win games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, QB1 said:

Look Deshaun is the man, but when you pose the fact that he went 4-12 with 2 wins vs the jags the response is “yez but he put up Amazing statz!”. Maybe stats don’t win games. 

He’s good but people here are calling him top 5.  Maybe when he had Hopkins

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, Beerfish said:

So we can eliminate watsons numbers when he had hopkins

Houston won 4 games minny 7  Both with QBs putting up big numbers.

4 of the top 8 passers missed the playoffs.

It's senseless to argue LOGIC with this board... Let's just pack it in, give Houston what they want, and roll with 4-12 for the next 5-10 years. We should all sign up for trading away our 1st's for the next 10 years to keep getting "generational" talent. Hell I'm sure there are other players in the league that will come available from time to time. Hell when is Arron Donald available, let's give up 2023,24,25 and 26 1st's for him too... What a TEAM we shall have.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

One of the QBs is 7 years older...You Like That?!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That's not really the point.  It's more about the type of QB.  top 5 QB's don't go 4-12. 

The comparison is someone that puts up top 5 numbers but isn't really a winner.  Is it worth giving up 3 to 4 first round picks for numbers but not wins?

It's a legitimate question even if people around here don't want to accept.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

It's senseless to argue LOGIC with this board... Let's just pack it in, give Houston what they want, and roll with 4-12 for the next 5-10 years. We should all sign up for trading away our 1st's for the next 10 years to keep getting "generational" talent. Hell I'm sure there are other players in the league that will come available from time to time. Hell when is Arron Donald available, let's give up 2023,24,25 and 26 1st's for him too... What a TEAM we shall have.

I gotta tell you.  I was all for this trade and willing to give up a lot for him.

I think Im very much starting to see your perspective here.  Are we giving up the future that we had in mind with all of the cap space and draft capital to bring in a guy that puts up big numbers but doesn't win all that much? 

He's 28-26 in the regular season and 1-2 in two playoff appearances.

I'm just not sure...

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I gotta tell you.  I was all for this trade and willing to give up a lot for him.

I think Im very much starting to see your perspective here.  Are we giving up the future that we had in mind with all of the cap space and draft capital to bring in a guy that puts up big numbers but doesn't win all that much? 

He's 28-26 in the regular season and 1-2 in two playoff appearances.

I'm just not sure...

I get it... There's no doubt that Watson is a great QB, but here's my thought process on this. I'm watching debates all over TV for this SB and whether Mahomes is the future GOAT, or if he doesn't beat TB will he ever be considered the GOAT. I find all this amazing because both TB and Mahomes are blessed with great teams... For example, Archie Manning was considered one of the best QB to play the game in his day, however he was unfortunate to have to play for the Saints. Does that make him a bad QB because his TEAMS sucked, or would he also be considered in the likes of Montana, Brady, if he played on TEAMS that won multiple SB's... No matter who we have at QB, they will never be enough unless we have a GREAT TEAM behind them. PERIOD.  Put TB on the JETS for the last 15 years, and he doesn't SNIFF the SB in one year, let alone the 9 he played in and now 10 with this year. Put Marino on NE, and he'd have won just as many as TB, or Marino, on SF, PITT, etc...

I'm not saying a crappy QB will win you SB's but it's more likely to happen then a great QB on lousy TEAMS.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I get it... There's no doubt that Watson is a great QB, but here's my thought process on this. I'm watching debates all over TV for this SB and whether Mahomes is the future GOAT, or if he doesn't beat TB will he ever be considered the GOAT. I find all this amazing because both TB and Mahomes are blessed with great teams... For example, Archie Manning was considered one of the best QB to play the game in his day, however he was unfortunate to have to play for the Saints. Does that make him a bad QB because his TEAMS sucked, or would he also be considered in the likes of Montana, Brady, if he played on TEAMS that won multiple SB's... No matter who we have at QB, they will never be enough unless we have a GREAT TEAM behind them. PERIOD.  Put TB on the JETS for the last 15 years, and he doesn't SNIFF the SB in one year, let alone the 9 he played in and now 10 with this year. Put Marino on NE, and he'd have won just as many as TB, or Marino, on SF, PITT, etc...

I'm not saying a crappy QB will win you SB's but it's more likely to happen then a great QB on lousy TEAMS.

I hear ya, one thing though.

I still want to take a QB at 2 and build around him.  Maybe bring in a vet to start the season, but when you're picking at 2 and don't have a QB you take a QB.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I hear ya, one thing though.

I still want to take a QB at 2 and build around him.  Maybe bring in a vet to start the season, but when you're picking at 2 and don't have a QB you take a QB.

I have no problem taking one at #2, but I also like trading that pick if you believe the one you want can be had a little further down.  Gamble, yes, but worked out for Mims, and I believe JD has the cajones lol...

I'm not sure what Trey Lance can become, but if Lafleur and company deem he can fit their system, then why take him at #2, when we probably can get him before #10... Still get a vet, or I'd be ok with seeing if Darnold can be salvaged... For me though he only has next year, or he's out and I don't pick up his 5th year.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, Beerfish said:

I think this was the exact point QB1 was making.

People hate cousins

People adore watson

Their numbers are very close

I don't hate Cousins.  I hate that Cousins is 32 and adore that Watson is 25.  

Meanwhile, Cousins' cap hit is $31M this year, $45M next year.  Way worse than Watson's $29M per year average if the Jets traded for him.

Also, are we really not factoring rushing into the equation here?

Last season, Watson had 90 carries for 444 yards and 3 TDs.  In his career to date he has 307 carries for 1677 yards and 17 TDs.

Cousins has been in the league twice as long and has 230 carries for 721 yards and 16 TDs.  Last year he ran 32 times for 156 yards and 1 TD.  The year before, it was 31 carries for 63 yards and 1 TD.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

lmfao - this board.

yes, Dalvin Cook, Adam Theilen, Justin Jefferson/Stephon Diggs, Kyle Rudolph - must be so ******* hard to get that job done with such little talent.

Imagine Kirk Cousins with 37 y/o Frank Gore, Breshad Perriman, Jamison Crowder, Chris Herndon XVI, Braxton Berrios and Denzel Mims - and a bottom 3 offensive line. 

We sure know how to setup our quarterbacks for success!

All that said, the complete dysfunction and lack of talent in Houston last year does make what Watson did last year all that more impressive.  

• Upvote 1