Put Your Name to the Watson/Darnold/Draft Qb Dilemna!

Which of the following Qb scenarios are you in favor of.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Qb scenarios are you in favor of

• Roll with Sam (no 5th yr)and keep all our picks sign FA Qb to compete
    • Stay at #2 and select Fields or Wilson and keep picks
    • Try and trade out & get more picks (50/50 chance you get a team to move up)
    • Send #2; ‘22 #1 and ‘23 #1 for Watson and build around him

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So they’ll never hit on a QB because they’re the Jets? LOL ok got it sounds about right 

The Jets are owned and operated by wholly incompetent people until proven otherwise. Feel free to give me data to the contrary.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I vote for , enough of all of this Watson talk. This is what we used to call in the past, fake news.

Me reading all the people who don't want to trade for Watson:

Hello. All those that voted to keep Sam, please step forward to receive your complimentary vasectomy. Thank you.

Posted Images

I didn't vote.
I want Watson, and would trade 3 first for him + Sam.( If they don't want Darnold, trade him to someone else.)
Keep the 2ND pick in this deal, & offer 2-1's next year & Sea #1 this year to get Watson. ( still 3 first round picks)
Trade our #2 to a team for more picks to recoup the picks used in the Watson trade.( Highly doubtful this happens)
If not, let Sam do or die with a new coaching staff and team. Trade out of pick #2 for a boatload of picks.
Hence, the reason I didn't vote. That's where I'm at.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

Watson if the trade is limited to 3 1sts, a fair value considering one of the picks is #2.

If he's not traded or he doesn't want to come here, I'd pivot to taking Fields/Wilson at #2.

All that said, I have no doubt that we are rolling with Darnold next year and not drafting a QB at #2. I hope they trade the pick instead of draft another OT in Sewell if that's the decision.

I've been in the camp of Roll with Darnold, trade down from #2, load up this team with talent and count on Saleh and LaFleur to win.

But I'm voting with the Watson option based on two factors:

1. THREE 1st picks is more than I want to give up, BUT the Jets have two from Seattle for Adams.  The trade described in the 4th option still leaves the Jets with 1st round picks the next two years (Seattle's #23 this year and either the Jets/Seattle's next year).

2. Not having a 1st round pick in 2023 is something I can accept because: a) God-willing the Jets are better by then with Watson and Saleh and it's a late 1st round pick and b) Douglas would have the next two years to maneuver and potentially add picks in 2023 so that it's not too lean of a Draft.

Also, if we're going to stay at #2 and take a lottery ticket like Wilson or Fields I'd rather simply roll with Darnold.  If Wilson/Fields have a 70% chance of being very good NFL players then I think Darnold has about 50% chance under LaFleur with better talent.  The #2 pick is too valuable to use if we'd only be increasing our chances by about 20% (my number) that we'd get a better QB situation.  A Watson trade changes that number to 100%.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been in the camp of Roll with Darnold, trade down from #2, load up this team with talent and count on Saleh and LaFleur to win.

1. THREE 1st picks is more than I want to give up, BUT the Jets have two from Seattle for Adams.  The trade described in the 4th option still leaves the Jets with 1st round picks the next two years (Seattle's #23 this year and either the Jets/Seattle's next year).

2. Not having a 1st round pick in 2023 is something I can accept because: a) God-willing the Jets are better by then with Watson and Salen and it's a late 1st round pick and b) Douglas would have the next two years to maneuver and potentially add picks in 2023 so that it's not too lean of a Draft.

Also, if we're going to stay at #2 and take a lottery ticket like Wilson or Fields I'd rather simply roll with Darnold.  If Wilson/Fields have a 70% chance of being very good NFL players then I think Darnold has about 50% chance under LaFleur with better talent.  The #2 pick is too valuable to use if we'd only be increasing our chances by about 20% (my number) that we'd get a better QB situation.  A Watson trade changes that number to 100%.

Number 1 on your list is why I’d be okay making a trade for 3 - 1’s we still have first round picks from Seattle for 2 years and you never know where that may fall. Probably 20’s but crazy sh*t has happened in past. 

get the QB we haven’t been able to identify and acquire through the draft. Take advantage of his low salary this year by front loading some FA contracts and lest go

i cant vote Watson cause i dont belive he will be traded.

he is now the defacto GM of the Texans. he got his EB interview and will hire him or Leslie Frazier.  yes he want a black coach. simple as that.

but if Watson does become available i believe it will be 4 #1s straight up, OR 3 #1s and 2 or 3 #2s

and even thought hes a great QB. we need way too much talent to go anywhere if we give that up. 

i say keep the #2 and draft either a QB or a WR. NOT the Tackle most of you are in love with. 

Send whatever it takes for Watson. He’s probably the 2nd most valuable player in the sport after Mahomes.

He gives you a 10 year window to compete. And you have all that time to put the pieces around him.

I f*cking laugh at all these guys watching Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes in the playoffs every single year sticking their noses up at an elite QB because we need to draft more weapons, because he might not win us a Superbowl in 2022. It’s actually unbelievable.

• Upvote 3

I’m not interested in them getting Watson and spending a small fortune to keep him. The team has too many needs to handcuff themselves to an overpriced needed QB.

It’s too early to tell what we need to do as far as the draft but I want them to stick with Sam if Lawrence isn’t available at 2 and get the best WR, probably Chase. They should be able to trade down a few spots, get a few extra picks and still get Chase or Smith. Some experts have Waddle ahead of Smith but most don’t. They could also add Oline and a RB like Gainwell who is one of the best receivers in the draft at the RB position with the next few picks. 

Look how much better Allen got with Diggs on the team and a better oline. Diggs and the defense are the reason Buffalo won the last game. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

2. Not having a 1st round pick in 2023 is something I can accept because: a) God-willing the Jets are better by then with Watson and Salen and it's a late 1st round pick and b) Douglas would have the next two years to maneuver and potentially add picks in 2023 so that it's not too lean of a Draft.

I knew you’d come around. 👍

• Haha 1

Personally I don't see Watson ever getting traded. It's the end of a rough season, emotions will calm over time and he'll most likely be back "on board" with Houston. Houston will not trade their franchise QB in a knee-jerk reaction based on some Twitter tirades.

In the VERY unlikely (IMHO) event that he does become available then yes, I want us to pursue him. It's not stated in the poll which '22 #1 pick we give; if it's the Seattle pick I'm more on board that the Jets' own pick, but that's probably splitting hairs at this stage.

So I'll vote Watson - but very much believing it'll never become an option that is open to us.

Arent #1 & #3 the same as it is the same remedy to the QB dilemma?  

Either pick and youre rolling with Darnold, regardless of what you do with the #2 pick.  

I say roll with Sam if you believe hes fixable and can salvage he career here.  If Saleh and JD want a fresh start, dont think much of Sam or want to draft a QB and rested the contract clock, Im fine either way, understand either side. 

• Upvote 1

I did not vote, because not one of the choices we're what I'd really like to see happen.

My choice.... JD and Sahel have discussed their vision for this team, now the real work begins with once the coaching staff has been completed, they all sit down at the table and go balls to the walls to determine which FA's they want to go after. Once those who we have targeted and signed (whichever ones choose to sign hopefully). Then we move on to the draft board. Depending on FA, I do different things in the draft, from either trading for Watson, signing a QB #2, or trading down.  There is no clear cut answer until FA is completed. But based on Saleh's philosophy of no shortcuts, I'm thinking we're building this mostly through the draft.

I know Watson is good, but I haven’t seen him play much...so I’m leaning toward trusting the consensus opinion.

Where does he rank with the game’s QBs?  Top 5?

He’s only 25...so he’s very valuable...in that regard.

9 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The Jets are owned and operated by wholly incompetent people until proven otherwise. Feel free to give me data to the contrary.

Where do Jets rank among Forbes' most valuable teams in the world?

usatsi_10348180-e1537113627820.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
August 2, 2020 8:50 am

Despite 10 years without a playoff appearance, the New York Jets’ value continues to increase.

Forbes recently released its annual list, which highlights the world’s 50 most valuable teams. The Jets find themselves tied with the Chicago Bulls and Cubs for 17th on Forbes’ list, valued at $3.2 billion. That puts New York as the eighth-most valuable franchise in the NFL, which holds 27 spots on the list.

Forbes had the Jets valued at $2.85 billion in 2019. In the span of a year, Gang Green has seen its value increase by over 5 percent.

The Jets are valued higher than the Texans, Eagles, Broncos, Packers, Steelers and Seahawks, among others. These are multiple teams that have had sustained success, many of whom have won Super Bowls recently.

New York’s valuation just goes to show that, even without results, New York is one of the most profitable markets in the entire world

• Confused 1
26 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

I know Watson is good, but I haven’t seen him play much...so I’m leaning toward trusting the consensus opinion.

Where does he rank with the game’s QBs?  Top 5?

He’s only 25...so he’s very valuable...in that regard.

Only 25 and under a palatable deal until age 30.

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Arent #1 & #3 the same as it is the same remedy to the QB dilemma?  

Either pick and youre rolling with Darnold, regardless of what you do with the #2 pick.  

I say roll with Sam if you believe hes fixable and can salvage he career here.  If Saleh and JD want a fresh start, dont think much of Sam or want to draft a QB and rested the contract clock, Im fine either way, understand either side. 

Even if they stick with Darnold — definitely possible — they still need to invest resources (money and possibility also draft picks) into a legitimate backup plan — you can’t roll into 2021 with an ancient Flacco type and an unknown James Morgan as you only fallback in the strong possibility Darnold is who we thought he was. That’s one part of the equation that’s not often talked about.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Even if they stick with Darnold — definitely possible — they still need to invest resources (money and possibility also draft picks) into a legitimate backup plan — you can’t roll into 2021 with an ancient Flacco type and an unknown James Morgan as you only fallback in the strong possibility Darnold is who we thought he was. That’s one part of the equation that’s not often talked about.

Agreed.  And I would assume this has or will be discussed in detail by the staff so they can come to a conclusion to this dilemma.  The bottom line is we dont know what Saleh and LaFleur think about Darnold and what their preference is between the choices available to them.  We really dont know what JD thinks of Darnold given his propensity to playing his cards close to the vest and that he didnt draft him.  

• Like 1

The Watson option still leaves us with a first rounder every year except for 2023, that sounds pretty good to me. That said, it will likely take some additional picks to get a deal done.

Also, this is never going to happen.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, fullblast said:

The Watson option still leaves us with a first rounder every year except for 2023, that sounds pretty good to me. That said, it will likely take some additional picks to get a deal done.

Also, this is never going to happen.

Not only that, one or more of those picks would need to be spent on acquiring a QB-of-the-future anyway in the 95% likelihood (being generous to Sam here) that Sam doesn’t develop into a FQB next year before he needs a new contract.

1 hour ago, Irktusk1957 said:

Where do Jets rank among Forbes' most valuable teams in the world?

usatsi_10348180-e1537113627820.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
August 2, 2020 8:50 am

Despite 10 years without a playoff appearance, the New York Jets’ value continues to increase.

Forbes recently released its annual list, which highlights the world’s 50 most valuable teams. The Jets find themselves tied with the Chicago Bulls and Cubs for 17th on Forbes’ list, valued at $3.2 billion. That puts New York as the eighth-most valuable franchise in the NFL, which holds 27 spots on the list.

Forbes had the Jets valued at $2.85 billion in 2019. In the span of a year, Gang Green has seen its value increase by over 5 percent.

The Jets are valued higher than the Texans, Eagles, Broncos, Packers, Steelers and Seahawks, among others. These are multiple teams that have had sustained success, many of whom have won Super Bowls recently.

New York’s valuation just goes to show that, even without results, New York is one of the most profitable markets in the entire world

Is this supposed to mean something? Even the last sentence in this article tells you the story: owning a sports franchise in NY is a license to print money.

The Knicks are run even worse than the Jets and are #1 in valuation for NBA teams. The on field product is irrelevant - likely the reason these franchise haven't won titles since the 60s and 70s.

Either trade for Watson or trade down.  

I am not a huge watson fanatic, but three number ones for the best qb, by a wide margin, that I have seen play for the jets is probably worth it.  Still have a #1 this year and next?  
For a sure thing?

Otherwise, I trade down for more lottery tickets.  

1 hour ago, section314 said:

We must have missed it...did Rodgers retire? Or Josh Allen?

What's he ever done with Houston? Other than rack up meaningless stats. 

I don't get the love for Watson.

I get it, the Jets are like the desperate schlub at the bar, looking for some girl to go home with at 3 AM before closing time. But let's be honest, Watson isn't worth it. You're taking on a big contract and postponing a much needed rebuild so you can bust a quick nut 

3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

What's he ever done with Houston? Other than rack up meaningless stats. 

I don't get the love for Watson.

I get it, the Jets are like the desperate schlub at the bar, looking for some girl to go home with at 3 AM before closing time. But let's be honest, Watson isn't worth it. You're taking on a big contract and postponing a much needed rebuild so you can bust a quick nut 

He's the 2nd best QB in the NFL under 30 years old. A top 5 QB in the league at age 25.

Players like this are never available.

The fact that we're in a position where we might be able to pull this off is a remarkable, once in a lifetime situation. Like, literally once in a lifetime.