Put Your Name to the Watson/Darnold/Draft Qb Dilemna!

32EBoozer

Which of the following Qb scenarios are you in favor of.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Qb scenarios are you in favor of

• Roll with Sam (no 5th yr)and keep all our picks sign FA Qb to compete
    • Stay at #2 and select Fields or Wilson and keep picks
    • Try and trade out & get more picks (50/50 chance you get a team to move up)
    • Send #2; ‘22 #1 and ‘23 #1 for Watson and build around him

I would support trading down and accumulating picks, but I voted for taking Wilson at #2 because I feel like that is the more likely scenario that comes to fruition.

I am against trading anything more than #2 overall for Watson.  This pick is essentially worth two #1s in and of itself.  If Houston wants multiple first round picks, they can go ahead and take the Seattle picks.  They are not the team that has the leverage in this situation.  Watson is unhappy, and the team is in cap hell.

This team has so many holes.  It needs a large and wide ranging infusion of young, high end talent in the worst way.  Trading three first round picks including #2 overall is going to damn his team to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.  The much sounder strategy for a team in the Jets position is to draft a young quarterback on a rookie contract and use all of their high end assets (premium picks and salary cap space) to build around him.  The Jets have the ammo necessary to build a strong and complete TEAM over the next two years.  Please don't trade most of it away for one player.  We'll be in the same spot in three years wanting everyone fired because the team is trash.

58 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I would support trading down and accumulating picks, but I voted for taking Wilson at #2 because I feel like that is the more likely scenario that comes to fruition.

I am against trading anything more than #2 overall for Watson.  This pick is essentially worth two #1s in and of itself.  If Houston wants multiple first round picks, they can go ahead and take the Seattle picks.  They are not the team that has the leverage in this situation.  Watson is unhappy, and the team is in cap hell.

This team has so many holes.  It needs a large and wide ranging infusion of young, high end talent in the worst way.  Trading three first round picks including #2 overall is going to damn his team to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.  The much sounder strategy for a team in the Jets position is to draft a young quarterback on a rookie contract and use all of their high end assets (premium picks and salary cap space) to build around him.  The Jets have the ammo necessary to build a strong and complete TEAM over the next two years.  Please don't trade most of it away for one player.  We'll be in the same spot in three years wanting everyone fired because the team is trash.

I appreciate your candor. Remember, you’d only be giving up 2 first rd picks because you were going to use #2 on a rookie Qb anyway. You stated #2 is worth two #1’s. In that case you’re telling me Wilson is worth two #1’s. That’s a big risk on a rookie.

So now with the Watson deal you are trading next years #1 which conservatively would be in the 10-12 range (or send the Seattle pick #15-18) and then the ‘22 first (#16-18). Does that scenario seem more palatable? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

They have a valuable asset that half the league will make offers for. “Leverage” is officially the most misused word of the month on JN.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

They have a valuable asset that half the league will make offers for. “Leverage” is officially the most misused word of the month on JN.

And they are in a position where that "valuable asset" is disgruntled and wants out. They are also in a position where they are in the red in terms of salary cap space and said asset's cap number is about to go up substantially.

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I appreciate your candor. Remember, you’d only be giving up 2 first rd picks because you were going to use #2 on a rookie Qb anyway. You stated #2 is worth two #1’s. In that case you’re telling me Wilson is worth two #1’s. That’s a big risk on a rookie.

So now with the Watson deal you are trading next years #1 which conservatively would be in the 10-12 range (or send the Seattle pick #15-18) and then the ‘22 first (#16-18). Does that scenario seem more palatable? 

I'm definitely open to sending two first round picks for Watson if it doesn't involve the #2 overall pick this year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

And they are in a position where that "valuable asset" is disgruntled and wants out. They are also in a position where they are in the red in terms of salary cap space and said asset's cap number is about to go up substantially.

Yeah so what. There’s gonna be a bidding war. That’s auto-leverage.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Most people are underestimating exactly how much #2 overall pick is worth.  It has enormous value.

Yes it does have enormous value.  The 2nd pick is the reason why we are the favorite to land Watson.  Without that 2, we're not even in the running.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

Yes it does have enormous value.  The 2nd pick is the reason why we are the favorite to land Watson.  Without that 2, we're not even in the running.  

Maybe you are right, or maybe you are jumping to conclusions.  I'm still not convinced that Watson is even on the trade block.  I'm also not convinced that "half the league" is going to be in the running and making offers for Watson.

Like I said, if Houston wants #2 overall, go ahead and offer it up.  But that should be all that's offered.  Not #2 plus multiple other first rounders.

Take a look at what other teams have given up to trade up to #2 and #3 overall in recent years.

This board has gone crazy over Watson.  This "at all costs" attitude is going to ruin the Jets.  I am confident Joe Douglas is not going to be this foolish with the resources he has in his hands.  He knows this team has many holes and needs an influx of young talent at multiple spots.  He has preached building through the draft and he's in position to actually do so.