Intriguing Mock Draft

KRL

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Part of me says that's a damn good draft haul. 

Part of me says who's our QB. 

So not only we will be chasing the Bills but also the Dolphins with that draft. 

All that and Dee Ford. Would be amazing and quite frankly I would take my chances with the new staff turning around Darnolds career.

• Sympathy 2

They have us trading down with the 49ers: 

• we get their 1st and 2nd rounders this year, first and third rounders next year and Dee Ford.

I don't know enough about Dee Ford, but generally speaking, we get a nice haul of picks and a vet at a position of need. I'm sure there are others that can speak on him as a player. 

As far as compensation goes, I'm comfortable with that.

I'm also good with Waddle @ 12.

But that's where it starts to get away from me in terms of players:

• Wyatt Davis over Sam Cosmi
  • Najee Harris over Jaelan Phillips 
  • Quincy Roche over Greg Newsome II
  • Tommy Tremble over Michael Carter or Pete Werner (forgive me, i didn't see his name in there, but I think dude could be a day 1 starter on this D and is likely a mid-late day 2 pick)

I'm an amateur, but part of my beef with these moves is, of course, the players I like vs players I don't - but also positional value: Guard over tackle, RB over edge or corner, situational pass rusher over Corner or 4-3 LB (of which we have none), TE over RB or 4-3 LB.

Granted, all of these could be the right moves and all my pandemic mocking probably means f***-all. But I'm fairly certain on a barren roster, JD and Saleh have got to be thinking about upgrading @ tackle, corner & 3-down edge players and 3-down 4-3 linebackers. 

Anyways, this was pretty nit-picky of me. I like the trade. We'd have 3 first rounders and an extra 3rd rounder next year while also having added a boatload of prospects to this team this year; 4 in the top 50 and 6 in the top 100. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I don’t think the 49ers are giving up that much, they’re not a poorly run franchise.  No way is lynch doing this trade.

truth, i think atlanta or Carolina will move up for fields, esp. atlanta.  Moving from 4 to 2 is much more reasonable.  Plus i doubt that douglas wants waddle as his main draft pick.  If he picks a wr in the first round we’re going smith or chase, which also lends itself to trading with atlanta.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

They have us trading down with the 49ers: 

• we get their 1st and 2nd rounders this year, first and third rounders next year and Dee Ford.

I don't know enough about Dee Ford, but generally speaking, we get a nice haul of picks and a vet at a position of need. I'm sure there are others that can speak on him as a player. 

As far as compensation goes, I'm comfortable with that.

I'm also good with Waddle @ 12.

But that's where it starts to get away from me in terms of players:

• Wyatt Davis over Sam Cosmi
  • Najee Harris over Jaelan Phillips 
  • Quincy Roche over Greg Newsome II
  • Tommy Tremble over Michael Carter or Pete Werner (forgive me, i didn't see his name in there, but I think dude could be a day 1 starter on this D and is likely a mid-late day 2 pick)

I'm an amateur, but part of my beef with these moves is, of course, the players I like vs players I don't - but also positional value: Guard over tackle, RB over edge or corner, situational pass rusher over Corner or 4-3 LB (of which we have none), TE over RB or 4-3 LB.

Granted, all of these could be the right moves and all my pandemic mocking probably means f***-all. But I'm fairly certain on a barren roster, JD and Saleh have got to be thinking about upgrading @ tackle, corner and 3-down edge players and linebackers. 

Anyways, this was pretty nit-picky of me. I like the trade. We'd have 3 first rounders and an extra 3rd rounder next year while also having added a boatload of prospects to this team this year; 4 in the top 50 and 6 in the top 100. 

Considering that the Redskins gave up the 6th overall pick in 2012,  2nd rd pick that same year, 2013 first round pick,  2014 first round pick to move up 4 spots that year the offer from SF is not nearly enough. And Dee Ford missed the entire year with an injury, is 29, and still has 3 years left on his deal and has a cap hit of $20 million per year. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, choon328 said:

Considering that the Redskins gave up the 6th overall pick in 2012,  2nd rd pick that same year, 2013 first round pick,  2014 first round pick to move up 4 spots that year the offer from SF is not nearly enough. And Dee Ford missed the entire year with an injury, is 29, and still has 3 years left on his deal and has a cap hit of $20 million per year. 

The Dee Ford stuff, I know nothing about - so I’ll take your word on that. 

But I don’t think the RGIII trade is relevant or a model for any franchise anymore. I think that’s one of the most lopsided trades in the history of human civilization - and that includes the Louisiana Purchase. 

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of the deal.  

One, I think Fields is an elite talent in himself, so this would require a ton of talent to move out. 

For example, when Washington traded for RGIII in a similar draft set up, they gave up the first and second pick in the draft (6 and 39 overall), plus 2 first round picks the following year.  

We'd be falling even further back, and these picks go to a team that we all expect to be good, so the picks next year are going to be in the 20's, most likely.  I'm not going to go into much detail over the mock because it's way too early and things will change.  However, for that drastic of a drop for a QB, I would want more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I would be happy enough with that draft, if we are getting Dee Ford I'd probably go elsewhere than rush end in the top 3 rounds.  I do not know much bout the TE but we need one.  Draft  CB instead of the the roche.

We hang with darnold and sign another QB.  Look for a QB next year if necessary.

When are enough draft picks enough. I can't wrap my head around not taking fields at 2. Seeing this mock reinforces it. Our OC just came from the San fran offense and fields matches their qb criteria but not ours? 

Are the jets drafting high again next year? If so then Darnold was a failure. If he is average he will require a chunk of cap space and hope he contunes to improve. And to project him as a franchise qb at this point is a pipe dream and a stretch at best. 

And we can add fields to the list of Mahomes Allen Jackson and the other qb that we want to to trade a kings ransom for. 

Whatever you think of Douglas, we are drafting at 2 and stil have a bunch if other picks, including another first to build the team. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

If the Jets sign a high end WR like Robinson or JuJu to pair with Mims I don't think they'd go Waddle there in the 1st.  I'd love Slater who was taken with the very next pick.  He'd instantly start at RT and has the ability to play any position on the OLine.  His versatility is unreal which makes him very valuable.  Could play C or OG.  Love Wyatt Davis at #23.

Going WR and OLine in the 1st is a home run IMO.

• Upvote 1

Jets are not getting enough for a team looking for a QB,  There is usually a premium paid when a QB is involved.  I do like the idea of moving back 4-6 spots, then trading back again.  The sweet spot will be drafting between 16-25.  We can accumulate lots of picks and fill lots of holes and have a haul of picks going into 2022.

The mock did not address defense enough especially CB.

• Upvote 1

I think taking Dee Ford is more of a favor to SF than to us.  He's been in the league 7 years and had 2 good seasons in that time.  Also, trading him before Jun 1 will cost them $14M in dead money so I don't think it's even a real option.

Similarly, Kittle is untradeable.  He'd cost them $11M in cap to trade before June 1.  Not going to happen.

As to the trade otherwise?  I don't love the value, but it depends on the draft in any given year.  If we aren't swooning over Fields or Wilson, then trading back makes sense, and honestly, I think the value of picks 3-12 is fairly similar.  Waddle instead of Chase or Smith?  Not a huge drop.  And if not Waddle, then Pitts or Slater could be nice picks.  The real prize is loading up on picks in 2022 to move up to get a QB if we need to.  With so many teams drafting young QBs the last few years, the chances of the top 1-2 teams in the draft not needing a QB are probably higher than ever.  Having three 1st round picks will go a long way to putting us in good position.  Of course if we win enough games to not be in position, then maybe things went right with Sam and that's even better.

SF would not be my first choice of trade partner, but mainly because I don't think they would part with what we consider a fair value for moving up that far.  

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I think getting back an extra 1, 2, 3, and Dee Ford, just for moving down ten spots to #12 would be very generous. 

I might have gone a different direction with the picks (Rashawn Slater at 12, Zaven Collins at 23...but who knows this early). 

The Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks to move up 4 spots in 2018. Ten spots is a huge jump in this draft. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks to move up 4 spots in 2018. Ten spots is a huge jump in this draft. 

And yet Joe Douglas, needing a WR, was willing to drop 11 spots in the 2nd last year  just to recoup a 3rd.  

It depends on who we are targeting and what comparable value is for say the OT at #2 vs. the OL at #12 (plus 4 impact players).  Or the QB/WR at #2 vs. the QB/WR/TE at #12 (plus 4 impact players).

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The Dee Ford stuff, I know nothing about - so I’ll take your word on that. 

But I don’t think the RGIII trade is relevant or a model for any franchise anymore. I think that’s one of the most lopsided trades in the history of human civilization - and that includes the Louisiana Purchase. 

SF 49ers: Getting out from under Dee Ford contract won’t be easy

There’s speculation the SF 49ers will move on from oft-injured EDGE Dee Ford this offseason, but his contract doesn’t make that process simple.

The SF 49ers need to figure out more than a few ways to generate much-needed cap space in 2021, particularly with the salary cap expected to drop as low as $175 million next year.

Already with over $156 million in player liabilities next season, the Niners are likely to engineer some tough cap casualties.

Not surprisingly, one of the names frequently mentioned is EDGE Dee Ford.

Ford has been disappointing since San Francisco acquired him from the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round pick in 2019, then signing him to a five-year, $85 million extension to pair him with rookie pass-rusher Nick Bosa. And while Ford was effective when he was on the field last season, registering 6.5 sacks during the SF 49ers’ Super Bowl run, the problem was he wasn’t on the field nearly enough.

In total, Ford appeared in only 11 regular-season games and saw just 22 percent of all defensive snaps.

So it’s no surprise Over The Cap’s Jason Fitzgerald tabbed Ford’s contract as one of the worst in the NFL, currently:

This is one of those contracts that I thought at the time of signing was a reasonable one. The 49ers didn’t get duped into the $20M a year contract range for a pass rusher and snuck in their usual per game bonuses and advantageous vesting dates but Ford was always an injury risk and he basically never plays football. In two years the 49ers have paid Ford nearly $35M for 12 games, 12 solo tackles and 6 sacks. Nobody forced the 49ers to restructure this contract in 2020 but they converted $12.7M to a bonus to deal with cap issues leaving them with a pretty big number to cut next year but its better than the alternative of paying him to miss football games.

That contract looks even worse with Ford missing all but one game due to a back injury. And it’s not looking likely he’ll return this season.

Ford is only making a maximum of $6.38 million in 2020. It’s next year where things get problematic, as he’s scheduled to earn up to $20.78 million, which will be 11.6 percent of the team’s cap space.

The knee-jerk reaction from most fans would be simple: Cut him or trade him.

It’s nowhere near that simple, though.

Why SF 49ers moving Dee Ford in 2021 will be difficult

For those thinking the Niners can trade Ford this offseason, it’s finding a trade partner that’ll make the prospects for such a move difficult. San Francisco already lucked out with the New Orleans Saints, who ate up the bulk of linebacker Kwon Alexander‘s hefty contract by acquiring him prior to this year’s trade deadline.

But that’s not the true kicker. No, instead it’s the dead-money hit the SF 49ers would have to take for moving Ford either via a trade or cut.

If the Niners can wait until after June 1 to move Ford, they’d free up $16 million in cap space against a hefty-but-absorbable $4.78 million in dead money. A problem here, though, is San Francisco has to be below the salary cap with its top-51 contracts by the start of the league new year in March.

Should the SF 49ers move Ford ahead of that date to free up cash, the cap savings is only $6.43 million against a whopping $14.35 in dead money. It’s going to be getting under the cap with the top-51 contracts that’ll make moving Ford difficult, not what happens later after June 1.

There is a possible way to do it, understanding the Niners have time to sign their rookie NFL Draft class in 2021, and those typically cost around $10 million any given year. Should San Francisco delay those contracts until after June 1, it’s somewhat workable.

But it doesn’t solve everything.

The other issue is Ford is hurt. The SF 49ers can’t simply cut an injured player without an injury settlement, and that figures to be massive when looking at Ford’s contract numbers. And no other team would likely pass Ford through a physical if traded either, meaning that option is likely off the table, too.

So, understandably, Ford getting back healthy would be the first step. And there’s no timetable for that.

While the Niners would like to move on from Ford and save that much-needed cap space, the actual process for doing so is much more complicated than it seems.

I don’t totally hate it but dropping out of the top 10 requires more from SF in my opinion. As others have said Dee Ford is a Bradley McDougald level throwaway that likely doesn’t help much, he’s a better player than McDougald and would immediately be our best edge in years but he’s just as likely to get cut and be available anyway.

We are picking No 2 overall and I’m only dropping to 12 if I am absolutely fleecing them, I want their 1st round picks in 21, 22 AND 23 plus the 21 2nd rounder and 22 3rd rounder..throw in Ford and then maybe then I pull the trigger.

Meanwhile a team desperate for QB help watches as 4 go in the first 7 picks!