2020 PFWA All Rookie Team

Bronx

30 minutes ago, varjet said:

We could have and should have drafted the C and Gs. We may have been able to draft all of them together. 

We have that chance this year.... I'm a big advocate of this, so I'm sure nobody is shocked lol...  I want another 2006. 2 options are to take Sewell at #2 and have Becton and Sewell fight for LT with the other taking RT, and then grabbing Creed with 23., or Trading down for more picks, and taking Slater who some project better than Sewell, and again taking Creed. This is predicated on us getting Thuney and Allen Robinson in FA.

5 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

We have that chance this year.... I'm a big advocate of this, so I'm sure nobody is shocked lol...  I want another 2006. 2 options are to take Sewell at #2 and have Becton and Sewell fight for LT with the other taking RT, and then grabbing Creed with 23., or Trading down for more picks, and taking Slater who some project better than Sewell, and again taking Creed. This is predicated on us getting Thuney and Allen Robinson in FA.

Any idea who’s playing QB?...running the ball?....are we planning on having anyone who can play WR.....just blocking TE’s from now on yes?....how about rushing from the edge?....maybe we might need a CB or 3....a safety perhaps...who’s kicking....or is the plan just to trundle out 300 Ib interior linemen at every position!?

c’mon, I don’t want to sound disrespectful and I av]ctually like the thinking behind Slater or Creed Humphrey,  but this obsession with just drafting offensive lineman and the myth.....and it is an absolute myth...that an OL full of first round picks creates an all-conquering super unit is just crazy.

We just drafted a premium LT...why in the world would we waste the precious No 2 overall on an another LT....and an injury prone one year wonder who hasn’t played in more than a year at that? 

Sewell is becoming colossally overrated here, he’s probably a good prospect but at LT....and we have one of those already....there’s no way I want a guy who missed the whole of 2020 unless we trade back and he drops to 10 or 12.

If we are seriously going to waste the No 2 pick on a guy who didn’t play since 2019 then I’d rather we go Gregory Rousseau, a player at a position we are desperate for, arguably the most premium position in the league behind QB(there’s a reason those elite edge rushers never hit FA)....we haven’t had a threat rushing the passer since Abraham. We need impact players everywhere but especially at QB, Edge and WR .....at OL we need a unit, a unit that can stay healthy and play together as a cohesive group, Great o-line play is about having the right guys for the blocking system and them playing together enough that they gain familiarity and trust. They don’t all have to be drafted in Round 1 or high (over)priced free agents

By all means go after a premium guy in FA and perhaps the 23 or maybe our 2nd rounder on the best available RT but the rest of the OL can and should be found in round 3 to 5....maybe even a UFA. The No 2 pick needs to be a QB or a trade back for the best WR or Edge or CB.

Just my opinion

51 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Any idea who’s playing QB?...running the ball?....are we planning on having anyone who can play WR.....just blocking TE’s from now on yes?....how about rushing from the edge?....maybe we might need a CB or 3....a safety perhaps...who’s kicking....or is the plan just to trundle out 300 Ib interior linemen at every position!?

c’mon, I don’t want to sound disrespectful and I av]ctually like the thinking behind Slater or Creed Humphrey,  but this obsession with just drafting offensive lineman and the myth.....and it is an absolute myth...that an OL full of first round picks creates an all-conquering super unit is just crazy.

We just drafted a premium LT...why in the world would we waste the precious No 2 overall on an another LT....and an injury prone one year wonder who hasn’t played in more than a year at that? 

Sewell is becoming colossally overrated here, he’s probably a good prospect but at LT....and we have one of those already....there’s no way I want a guy who missed the whole of 2020 unless we trade back and he drops to 10 or 12.

If we are seriously going to waste the No 2 pick on a guy who didn’t play since 2019 then I’d rather we go Gregory Rousseau, a player at a position we are desperate for, arguably the most premium position in the league behind QB(there’s a reason those elite edge rushers never hit FA)....we haven’t had a threat rushing the passer since Abraham. We need impact players everywhere but especially at QB, Edge and WR .....at OL we need a unit, a unit that can stay healthy and play together as a cohesive group, Great o-line play is about having the right guys for the blocking system and them playing together enough that they gain familiarity and trust. They don’t all have to be drafted in Round 1 or high (over)priced free agents

By all means go after a premium guy in FA and perhaps the 23 or maybe our 2nd rounder on the best available RT but the rest of the OL can and should be found in round 3 to 5....maybe even a UFA. The No 2 pick needs to be a QB or a trade back for the best WR or Edge or CB.

Just my opinion

You're not wrong about Sewel

You are for sure wrong about your dismissal of the oline and tossing out the 'we can get them from round 4 down and in Fa'

Did you watch the playoff games last week, these QBs had tons of time to throw the ball.

A really good oline makes the QB, RBs and WRs all much better along with the TE's

We need a great oline not a passable or we can get by oline.

We should trade out of #2 and then use 2 picks before the seattle 3rd rounder on he oline.  We need a guard and a center.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I disagree. Becton was better. Wills Jr. was on the better team. The stars of that O-Line in Cleveland were Conklin, Wyatt Teller, and Bitonio. Wills Jr. wasn't that good in his rookie year. 

This seems to be the ongoing myth Jet fans live under.

Our players are really great but the players around them stink - therefor they can't show how great they really are.

Bottom line, Becton was good...Very good in the run game, truly dominant at times.  But, as in college, showed substantial flaws in the passing game.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This seems to be the ongoing myth Jet fans live under.

Our players are really great but the players around them stink - therefor they can't show how great they really are.

Bottom line, Becton was good...Very good in the run game, truly dominant at times.  But, as in college, showed substantial flaws in the passing game.

The ongoing myth Jets fans live under? I'm not basing my opinion on anything that has to do with the players around him.

You did a great job of explaining how Becton played this year. You didn't say anything about Wills Jr. 

Once again, Becton was the better player.

And just so you know, I'm basing my opinion on PFF player grades. Not ongoing myths lol.

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You're not wrong about Sewel

You are for sure wrong about your dismissal of the oline and tossing out the 'we can get them from round 4 down and in Fa'

Did you watch the playoff games last week, these QBs had tons of time to throw the ball.

A really good oline makes the QB, RBs and WRs all much better along with the TE's

We need a great oline not a passable or we can get by oline.

We should trade out of #2 and then use 2 picks before the seattle 3rd rounder on he oline.  We need a guard and a center.

Appreciate the agreement on Sewell,

I have to take issue with the assertion I’m dismissing the O-line altogether, I’m not....

I made it clear I felt taking a RT or C or OG with the No 23 pick or 2nd rounder or one of the 3rd round picks...AND...investing in a premier FA was absolutely a smart move ....using the no 2 overall on Sewell or any other LT was not (largely, but not exclusively, because we already have one who we used the 11th overall pick on only last year) and drafting a C, OG or RT with the 2nd overall pick is right up there in terms of stupidity with taking a box safety at 6.

just to be clear, I absolutely advocate having a very good If not great offensive line, just as I advocate having a good to great DL too.....the trenches remain of critical importance in the NFL.....but  I totally disagree with the notion that to do that we have to sink ALL our premium draft picks into the OL at the expense of every other position., a so-called super unit made up of first rounders is all well and good but not a smart way to build success in my opinion....we tried that with the DL and all those first rounders like Coples, Mo Wilk and Sheldon didn’t greatly help, instead it was guys like Pouha(4th round) Jason Ferguson(7th), Mike Devito(UDFA) & Damon Harrison(UDFA) who were some of our best and most productive players.

It’s the same with the OL, if you find guys like Brick and Mangold in the 1st then it’s shrewd later round picks or UDFA’s like Brandon Moore, Austin Howard or Matt Slauson(who we gave up on way too early and he became a top starter with Chicago)or FA pick ups like Damien Woody, Faneca or Pete Kendall that round out the unit.

so I largely agree with you about the importance of the OL, I just don’t advocate the approach that many seem to feel is the only way to build it, which is to the detriment of every other position on the roster....there has to be a balance 

9 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I was right-

We could have drafted Lewis over Ashtyn Davis

Cushenberry over Zuniga

And foregone any of Morgan, Hall or Clark for Onwenu.

IOL would be set for another 3 years.  Pathetic.  

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I disagree. Becton was better. Wills Jr. was on the better team. The stars of that O-Line in Cleveland were Conklin, Wyatt Teller, and Bitonio. Wills Jr. wasn't that good in his rookie year. 

Becton missed too much time I gather.