Phillip Rivers retires

8 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I always felt bad for Marty on that one.   Everyone said he couldn't win in the playoffs.

Again, there is video of him telling his defense, "If you get the ball, just go down."   He got the blame because one moron just wouldn't listen.

Marty was a great coach that caught a sh*tload of bad breaks. Check his record; his win % is excellent but he's got little to no post-season success. His teams were snakebit. Cleveland, KC and the Chargers, all really good in regular season but perennial losers in the playoffs.  

• Upvote 4

95.2 career QBR in the regular season.  85.3 in 12 playoff games.   Very good but he wasn't able to elevate or maintain he's high regular season production in the playoffs.  

The Giants traded him and picks for Eli.  Rivers regular season stats are much better than Eli's.  Eli had two historic runs and his playoff QBR is actually higher than his regular season QBR and higher than Rivers playoff QBR.  I think they are tied at the hip.  Rivers can't go in until Eli goes in ahead of him.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

95.2 career QBR in the regular season.  85.3 in 12 playoff games.   Very good but he wasn't able to elevate or maintain he's high regular season production in the playoffs.  

The Giants traded him and picks for Eli.  Rivers regular season stats are much better than Eli's.  Eli had two historic runs and his playoff QBR is actually higher than his regular season QBR and higher than Rivers playoff QBR.  I think they are tied at the hip.  Rivers can't go in until Eli goes in ahead of him.  

Neither deserves to go in the HoF. But Rivers has a much stronger case than Eli. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Marty was a great coach that caught a sh*tload of bad breaks. Check his record; his win % is excellent but he's got little to no post-season success. His teams were snakebit. Cleveland, KC and the Chargers, all really good in regular season but perennial losers in the playoffs.  

Look at how he lost games.

The Drive.   Kind of on coaching.

Next year, The Fumble.    100% not the coaches fault.

The Chargers/Pats game.

He did get tight in bigger games, but he also go some horrific luck in there.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Neither deserves to go in the HoF. But Rivers has a much stronger case than Eli. 

I would put Eli in and leave Rivers off.  I agree with you that Rivers had a borderline HOF career and Eli didn't.  I put a lot more emphasis on championships because they are rare.  Eli, to his credit had two historic runs with a wild card team and arguably outplayed both Rodgers in Green Bay and Tom Brady on a neutral field to win SB.  In those 8 games he had 15 TD's and 2 INT's.  He wasn't a game manager, he lifted his game against the best and was great.  Rivers simply never did that. 

It's a good argument on what really makes a HOF player.  I'm on the side of greatness under extreme playoff pressure since the goal is to win a Championship.  Your argument certainly has merit.  I guess after 50 plus years as a Jets fan winning the SB seems like the brass ring.  

I'm also of the opinion that Marino, who never won may be the best QB I ever saw up until Rodgers and now Mahomes.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Going to be an unprecedented year for QB movement. Jets are lucky in that they have Sam Darnold and the 2nd pick. So many teams are in beyond desperate situations that they’ll be forced to overpay for either. I don’t see the Jets trading Sam, but it’s possible they would for a 1st round pick. 

NE, WAS, CHI, IND lack short-term and long-term answers and are drafting 15-20 in the round. NYJ, PHI, CAR, DEN, NYG, SF, MIN, LAR, NO have QB questions at the very least. PIT, TB lack long-term plans. ATL, DET have QBs but could opt to reset. 

I think it’s possible Jalen Hurts gets traded for a haul of picks. I think it’s possible LV will make a decision on Carr/Mariota given the demand for QB. I think some teams will strategically rank. Should be a wild ride. 

so that's really it, we're not drafting a qb at 2 and we're likely trading back and maybe taking a wr or maybe taking a pass rusher?  

17 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I would put Eli in and leave Rivers off.  I agree with you that Rivers had a borderline HOF career and Eli didn't.  I put a lot more emphasis on championships because they are rare.  Eli, to his credit had two historic runs with a wild card team and arguably outplayed both Rodgers in Green Bay and Tom Brady on a neutral field to win SB.  In those 8 games he had 15 TD's and 2 INT's.  He wasn't a game manager, he lifted his game against the best and was great.  Rivers simply never did that. 

It's a good argument on what really makes a HOF player.  I'm on the side of greatness under extreme playoff pressure since the goal is to win a Championship.  Your argument certainly has merit.  I guess after 50 plus years as a Jets fan winning the SB seems like the brass ring.  

I'm also of the opinion that Marino, who never won may be the best QB I ever saw up until Rodgers and now Mahomes.  

If Eli somehow gets in, Rivers is also. Rivers is more worthy of the HOF than Eli. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

The #2 pick increases in value by the day

Exactly. Which is why it needs to be off the table fir a Watson trade. If we send a big package to Houston for Watson we can recover much of it from trading #2. Three Jets #1s is far more valuable than  other teams #1s, Use the Seattle #1s and Darnold and we come out OK and can still build a team around him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Expected.

Brees next.

Haven't heard, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear Big Ben hangs it up as well.

Rumor is he will come back 1 more year, but I think he is the most shot of all of them. Meanwhile freaking Brady still plays like he is 30 and I would not completely shocked if he is around for several more years. How many upper end QBs does his career completely outlast. It is riidiculoulous.

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Rivers primary focus maybe catching up to his former teammate Cromartie.

He has 9 kids as of now and counting 

Here's the full list of nine kids, with ages as of September 2020:

Halle, 18

Caroline, 15

Grace, 14

Gunner, 12

Sarah, 10

Peter, 8

Rebecca, 6

Clare, 4

Anna, 1

7 daughters omg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

But he was also a poor post season coach.  He was the antithesis of what we saw Reid do lat week with the 4th down call to win the game.

He tuned awful conservative when the game was on the line.  The Jets benefited from that in the playoff game where Herms jets beat the chargers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Meanwhile freaking Brady still plays like he is 30 and I would not completely shocked if he is around for several more years. 

Because he takes drugs/hormones. 

He's an obvious juicer, he's just an ultra-high tech, way-ahead of the testing curve kind of juicer.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because he takes drugs/hormones. 

He's an obvious juicer, he's just an ultra-high tech, way-ahead of the testing curve kind of juicer.

I was going to mention that but didn't. It does seem like he is in physical condition at his age that defies being purely natural. But then there are people like Hershel Walker that defy that notion.

Rivers is a bit of a lesson on QB mechanics and the overrating of 'mechanics' they guy threw the ball like a shot put for his whole career and his motion looked beyond ugly but it worked very well.

Then we have a guy like mahommes and kyler murray and such that get the ball were it needs to go no matter how they do it.

Meanwhile every new QB coming into the league is having guys like chris palmer screwing up their natural instincts at the position.

This adds one more team who might be willing to trade up to get the overall #2. Except they have #21 and Douglas if he trades down probably wants to get a higher pick. As for them trading for Darnold it's a possibility but they have Brissett and might consider him equal or better than Sam. 

So big Ben is the last one standing from that class. We hear every other year about a "generational" QB class. Imo Eli/Ben/Rivers is the standard for what I consider a generational class. When 3 QB prospects have careers like these three, between the superbowls and Rivers career yards... THATS generational. Meanwhile people compared the Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen draft. Rosen has barely been in the league and the rest, minus Allen of all of them, have been very Meh. 

Now that the league has caught up to Jackson, I wonder if the Ravens are going to be inclined to give him that top paid, Mahomes like money that he was looking at after his MVP season. He has looked for from an MVP since then. Especially in the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah he'll be a UFA in March, when the 2021 season officially begins.

I could/should have said he will be a UFA. 

nah, we're fans.  we don't need to or care about facts.  i thought he was going to become a free agent i just wasn't sure if it when the season ends or the league year.  thank you for clarifying.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I personally wouldnt put either of them in but I would think Eli is a virtual lock and Rivers prob 50/50

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

oh, ffs, no one is trading for Darnold to be their starter. Darnold is a taking a chance on a miracle guy that you bring into camp.

I dont care if they make him the waterboy, as long as we can get atleast a 3rd rounder for him

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Expected.

Brees next.

Haven't heard, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear Big Ben hangs it up as well.

When Brady and Big Ben finally goes, that's a whole generation of FQBs leaving the league. Hopefully we have a good enough team and a good QB to avoid watching Maholmes dominate the next 10 years. I don't want to just wait it out until he retires like we basically have with these guys.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

But he was also a poor post season coach.  He was the antithesis of what we saw Reid do lat week with the 4th down call to win the game.

He tuned awful conservative when the game was on the line.  The Jets benefited from that in the playoff game where Herms jets beat the chargers.

That's Martyball for you, R2P2 - run, run, pass, punt.

He never figured out you gotta throw caution to the wind sometimes - no risk it, no biscuit as Arians would say.