Will a one-year gamble on Sam Darnold be worth the risk?

1 hour ago, NamathToCaster said:

I just think he is not wired to be an elite QB.  When you really think about it,  he has to have  eveything setup just perfectly inorder for him to succeed.  He does not really manufacture any great plays because his ability to see the entire field and react accordingly is not very good.  That is something that can't be taught.

And if a new coaching staff is going to have to teach a Vet these things why not just start from scratch with a drafted rookie QB who will be learning a new offense along with the rest of the team.  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is a good article but I question how the Jets not solving the QB problem in year 1 of Saleh is some kind of giant failure. The offense is so gutted, so stripped to the bones, there's not many QB'

Think of it this way.  Do you think Sam can lead this team to a 10-6, 11-5 record?  Do you think he can make the playoffs?  I personally don’t.  I feel like he’d leave the team like a 6-10, 7-9 at bes

Will a one-year gamble on Sam Darnold be worth the risk? The NY Jets are not going to pick up Sam Darnold‘s fifth-year option. General manager Joe Douglas has until May to officially make that de

26 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

This is the correct answer. Anything other than this for the next 3 months is a smoke screen. Saleh and Joe D would not be dumb enough to tie their careers to Darnold. It can go only 2 ways IMO after the 3 years we have of tape:

1) He stinks up the 2021 season and we burn a year of the rebuild. And by all accounts I have heard to date, the 2022 QB class is not good.

2) He has a good to OK season (Top 12-18 QB) where we get stuck and have to lock him up at $30 mil/year on a multi-year deal. 

Of the 30 games on tape, I have yet to see a single half or quarter where I have said "would love to see this guy in a 2 minute drill vs Pat Mahomes in an AFC championship." He doesn't have what it takes to be a Top 5 QB and JD and our new coaching staff are not going to roll the dice (with a 5% chance) that he blooms into one in his 4th year. I can guarantee you that 9 of the next 10 SB winning QBs will be pro bowlers. Defenses are not winning championships anymore in the NFL. Last team to do it was Seattle and they have since transformed their offense to adapt.

Exactly.  They might not even be sure about it yet...They may be sincere when they talk about possibly keeping Sam (although I tend to agree it's s smokescreen)

With that said, when push comes to shove this is really the only decision they can make.

(obvious Watson's a different story but that's a super long shot)

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

That is the only position for anyone who hated Adam Gase to take. 

If you thought that the problem was the head coach, to the point where you knew after 4 games and cheered the flying planes, especially on the grounds that he was not an "offensive guru" nor a "quarterback whisperer", then you cannot hold Sam Darnold accountable for his lousy stats and awful play.

If you were anti-Gase, you have to be pro-Darnold right now.  You have to stick to your convictions and believe that a competent new head coach, an innovative new offensive coordinator, and a qualified quarterbacks coach can restore Sam Darnold to the high standard all the experts had for him in late 2017 and during and after the 2018 season.

SAR I

So pretty much everyone?

I like the way you say if you were Ant-Gase, as if there was a single pro-Gase fan other than yourself.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Trubisky >> Darnold.

We'd have fans calling for a shrine to be built for Darnold if he put up Trubisky's numbers.  64/37 TD:INT ratio!  10 career games with 3+ TDs, including a 6-TD game in '18!

No, Trubisky's played better.    

Doubt anyone agrees Trubisky is better, doesnt see Darnold as the more talented player.

I'd bet few if anyone would say what you've posted.

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Exactly.  They might not even be sure about it yet...They may be sincere when they talk about possibly keeping Sam (although I tend to agree it's s smokescreen)

With that said, when push comes to shove this is really the only decision they can make.

(obvious Watson's a different story but that's a super long shot)

I agree that they may be sincere at this point but that Adam Schefter report is coming with Saleh on the job for a few days (if that). They certainly haven't made a decision on his future with 3 months of tape and combine to review. I just do not see them reviewing his tape for the next 3 months and seeing something that justifies tying their careers to him. 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Hm, he just had to add this part, did he?  Oh how I love being reminded.  

"the answer to that ultimate question would be crystal clear if Darnold hadn’t beaten two playoff teams in Los Angeles and Cleveland to end the 2020 season." 

Regardless, and after the flashes I saw in his Rookie year, athletic plays made along with some pretty incredible throws (although not consistently) with a trajectory that seemed to be definitely in the right direction (NFL’s top passer over the final 4 weeks)......I was rock solid in thinking the Jets had finally locked in a Franchise QB.  I was wrong.

Two years of the Fraud known as Adam Gase and his trusted flunky Little King of Queens guy has pretty much destroyed all Darnold’s confidence not to mention more injuries that are ANNUAL problem with him.  Couple that with something I feel is on Darnold all alone, and that is his temperament.  After watching him for three years now you get the feeling that there are many things he’d rather be doing than putting on a Jet jersey on Sunday (I actually can’t totally blame him due to the beatings he has taken his entire tenure much of it due to one of the worst rosters in the NFL (that was another excuse I used for him, and seeing him almost beat Aaron Rodgers and Watson in consecutive weeks that Rookie year made it easier to do).  

At this point and after what he has gone through with Gase I don’t think you can ever see him as being a “leader of men”, and that’s a quality you MUST have if you’re going to get through the playoffs much less make them.

With some sadness I hope that Darnold has played his last down with the Jets and they trade him and he is able to maybe rejuvenate his career somewhere else.

Time to move on.

He never got the help he needed at the pro level...from Day 1...and that’s on ownership and “coaching”.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So pretty much everyone?

I like the way you say if you were Ant-Gase, as if there was a single pro-Gase fan other than yourself.

Sort of my point.  If you thought Gase was ruining Sam, well, Saleh and LaFleur can help him thrive. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sort of my point.  If you thought Gase was ruining Sam, well, Saleh and LaFleur can help him thrive. 

SAR I

Problem is its not a good point.  We have no idea that the damage Gase has done to Darnold can be undone.  More than likely hes been broken, a talent wasted by a hack. 

Gase was a total F up, a disaster who ruined everything he came in contact with.  

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, SAR I said:

That is the only position for anyone who hated Adam Gase to take. 

If you thought that the problem was the head coach, to the point where you knew after 4 games and cheered the flying planes, especially on the grounds that he was not an "offensive guru" nor a "quarterback whisperer", then you cannot hold Sam Darnold accountable for his lousy stats and awful play.

If you were anti-Gase, you have to be pro-Darnold right now.  You have to stick to your convictions and believe that a competent new head coach, an innovative new offensive coordinator, and a qualified quarterbacks coach can restore Sam Darnold to the high standard all the experts had for him in late 2017 and during and after the 2018 season.

SAR I

Darnold's 2nd contract - assuming he gets one somewhere - has shrunk from what it could have been, so i'd say the accountability part is taken care of. Sports, and the NFL in particular, is about as close to a meritocracy as you can get. So it's not for me, as a fan, to hold anyone accountable. 

Having said that, the desire to believe that a competent new head coach, an innovative new offensive coordinator, and a qualified quarterbacks coach can restore Sam Darnold to the high standard all the experts had for him in late 2017 and during and after the 2018 season definitely makes sense to me. I don't think Darnold is a bad QB, i'd lean towards saying he was mismanaged on a terrible team. Let's see if i'm right.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I think the difficult part is can you really know that before you have to pay him a fortune?  He has gotten worse with each year in the league. 

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

Say they go 8-8, very possible with an improved team.  Darnold looks improved but  meh.  (most likely)

Do you give him a $100,000,000 contract (the Sanchez route, but more expensive), go looking for a young QB drafting at 16, or bring in a washed out vet.

I just don't see the point of brinning Darnold back this year.  He's not going to look like a 27 YO Brady.

I don't think he'll get a big contract either way. He's played himself out of a big contract. The Jets hold all the leverage; they can lowball him if he plays well - getting themselves a solid starting QB at a good price - or they can cut him loose if he fails to improve. 

This isn't a big concern. 

BTW, i firmly believe the team drafts Fields at 1.02. All this trade down/trade for Watson nonsense is just off-season water cooler talk. We're all bored, with nothing to else to talk about. Darnold will most likely play the season as a back-up, or he'll be traded cheaply before the season begins. 

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Anyone supporting bringing Sam back has also said to bring another QB in to compete

ok, Watson then.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, Trubisky's played better.    

Doubt anyone agrees Trubisky is better, doesnt see Darnold as the more talented player.

I'd bet few if anyone would say what you've posted.

I believe Trubisky is more talented than Darnold.

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

ok, Watson then.

I believe Trubisky is more talented than Darnold.

I dont, I believe hes been in. a better situation and has better production but Darnold is more talented.  

• Like 1
Just now, Jet Nut said:

I dont, I believe hes been in. a better situation and has better production but Darnold is more talented.  

Agree to disagree