Lets just talk free agents & our cap dollars

Jetster

Lets take Watson out of the equation for now. 

I keep reading threads in which it seems that the only thing that matters is more & more draft picks. It's unusual already to have #2, #23 & #34 + two 3rds #66 & #87. When is the last time we had that many high picks? Parcells? 4 firsts? 

The Jets have the 2nd highest cap dollars available in the entire league & only Marcus Maye would be a guy to resign to a long term contract. 

A team that has always been sucked off by the media every year for their masterful trade backs has been the Patriots. Well, if they were so good at drafting why did they have to sign Gilmore, or the myriad of players they have traded for or signed in free agency? Moss, Welker, Amendola, Chung, Gordon, Shelton, Collins, Van Noy, Burkhead, Jason McCourty, Moncrief, Newton,? 

The 1st year Brady leaves the building they don't even go .500 & miss the playoffs. Point being, this infactuation with having so many draft picks is crazy! there should be a stud at everyone of those draft spots & all JD has to do is make the right choices unlike Macc who constantly missed, over & over again. 

Even if Mims turns out to be very good, it was understandable that he was maneuvering for picks last year BUT look at the WR he bypassed to get the Davis pick? Chase Claypool.

Now, I have no idea how good Denzel Mims will be BUT I already know that Chase Claypool is good enough that the Steelers are waving bye bye to a free agent WR in Juju Smith who is currently better than any WR on this team currently. So be careful what you wish for with these trade backs. You can only integrate so many rookies into your team & my point is that JD is not sitting on 80 million in free agency dollars this year with what is the best free agent market in a long time & not as many buyers. 

• Upvote 1

Well it seems that all points are valid including yours. I think that balance and the most options available is what they're going after.

If you hit on your draft picks and have homegrown talent especially at positions that are more expensive in free agency, it gives you that many more options.

Obviously quarterback, offensive lineman, edge rushers, cornerbacks and wide receivers can get pretty costly in free agency.

We've all seen the teams that wind up in cap hell and we've been there ourselves. So if we can hit on some key positions in the draft and get them on the cheap for the first 4 or 5 years of their rookie contracts, we can then use the free agency money for the guys we need as plugins and to push us over the top. That's how winning is done LOL.

Also let me add to my statement that some fans don't really understand that a football team is made up of much more than the 22 starters. You can't forget about the gunners, special teams, roleplayers, blocking tight ends and practice squad guys. A lot of times I see fans on here thinking that if we just got five great wide receivers we win the Superbowl. Unfortunately that's not how it works. Especially this Jets team that's been decimated with injuries for the last 2 years, you can see how important it is to have depth at every position.

As far as the draft and free agency there obviously has to be a balance and it's team and situation-specific.

• Upvote 1

I’m not so sure why people think JuJu is so great. He’s a pretty good big slot receiver who everyone wants to move outside because he’s 6’1 even though he hasn’t shown he can do that.

Shouldn’t it be concerning that guys on Pittsburgh keep leapfrogging him and the Steelers are fine letting him go? He might to end up needing to sign a one year prove it deal, I don’t think I’d give him any more after his last two seasons.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I keep reading threads in which it seems that the only thing that matters is more & more draft picks. It's unusual already to have #2, #23 & #34 + two 3rds #66 & #87. When is the last time we had that many high picks? Parcells? 4 firsts? 

The Jets have the 2nd highest cap dollars available in the entire league & only Marcus Maye would be a guy to resign to a long term contract. 

A team that has always been sucked off by the media every year for their masterful trade backs has been the Patriots. Well, if they were so good at drafting why did they have to sign Gilmore, or the myriad of players they have traded for or signed in free agency? Moss, Welker, Amendola, Chung, Gordon, Shelton, Collins, Van Noy, Burkhead, Jason McCourty, Moncrief, Newton,? 

The 1st year Brady leaves the building they don't even go .500 & miss the playoffs. Point being, this infactuation with having so many draft picks is crazy! there should be a stud at everyone of those draft spots & all JD has to do is make the right choices unlike Macc who constantly missed, over & over again. 

Even if Mims turns out to be very good, it was understandable that he was maneuvering for picks last year BUT look at the WR he bypassed to get the Davis pick? Chase Claypool.

Now, I have no idea how good Denzel Mims will be BUT I already know that Chase Claypool is good enough that the Steelers are waving bye bye to a free agent WR in Juju Smith who is currently better than any WR on this team currently. So be careful what you wish for with these trade backs. You can only integrate so many rookies into your team & my point is that JD is not sitting on 80 million in free agency dollars this year with what is the best free agent market in a long time & not as many buyers. 

Can't we just be happy with Mims?  Sure, we could have had Claypool.  Would he have done what he did in Pittsburgh here?  No.

He just traded Adams, and had to get another safety.  Davis was HIGHLY regarded in the draft, but didn't play well.  What if Saleh comes in and turns him into another Jamal Adams without the attitude?  Will that help us forget?

This team was so devoid of talent, from a player AND a coaching standpoint, you can't judge anything.  Its amazing the young guys have all played as well as they have the last two years.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Can you imagine a 2-8 trade down before pick 10, to grab another 2 and 3... Now that would be impressive. 2 1's, 2 2's, 3 3's....  I can see with the right draft, us making a good jump in year 1 of this regime...

I'm willing to be patient for the first time to see this team built correctly and this coaching staff having a long career here. Sure we might lost a coordinator or 2, but how would that feel, rather than going through multiple coaches every 2 years.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I agree. I dont want to trade down. Maybe to 5-10 but thats it. 
Even more, i dont want to trade our 23 and 34 for 38, 47 and 61, or whatever the case may be. Quantity over quality is a big issue.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I agree. I dont want to trade down. Maybe to 5-10 but thats it. 
Even more, i dont want to trade our 23 and 34 for 38, 47 and 61, or whatever the case may be. Quantity over quality is a big issue.

That was my point with JD trading back with Seattle when Claypool was staring at him, but I get it, this team needs players & I think he liked Davis & wanted that 3rd round pick. 
Time will tell. Jets had no pass rush so it’s tough to hold judgement on Davis, Hall, Bless.,

If we could get 1 CB (Lattimore) and some edge rush it changes our entire defensive ability. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Very rarely does FA fix issues.  There are usually a total of 3 or 4 really desirable players from all position groups and a huge demand by all teams to get them.  Also the Fa list shrinks as teams find ways to keep their own guys  (I do not think Allen Robinson is going to make it to FA, the Bears will cut or restructure or do what they have to to keep him.)

In ordinary circumstances, you'd be right.  A year where the cap is going DOWN for the first time in history, and a bunch of teams were already in deep cap trouble to begin with, is not ordinary.

I demonstrated in another thread why it would be virtually impossible for the Bears to keep Allen Robinson without losing a bunch of other key players in the process.  You figuratively covered your ears and yelled "la la la la".

Teams will absolutely find ways to keep some of the key players.  Like, say, Kenny Golladay in Detroit.  But those same teams will also have to dump quality talent to make room.  So no matter how you splice it, there will be more quality talent hitting the open market this offseason than we've seen in a very long time.  Maybe ever. 

And the Jets are among a very small group of teams uniquely positioned to take advantage of this.  Some creativity, like sending low-round picks (such as 1-2 of our many 6th rounders) for pricey but talented players, is something you might see out of Douglas even if he doesn't get the FA's he likes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I would trade the #2 pick if it gets two 1st-round picks. That way, I get to pick THREE 1st-round talents. My picks in order: RT, Edge, Best Available...

Tough to get that in the same year, though.  More likely, swap 1sts this year and get a team's 2nd rounder this year and first rounder next year. To get that much, you're probably talking about trading down to the 10th pick or later. If so...

2021: two firsts, two seconds, two thirds. And JD would almost certainly trade down again with one of the seconds and/or thirds for even more picks.

2022: three firsts.... ammo to move up for a QB or to again trade one pick down for more picks.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Tough to get that in the same year, though.  More likely, swap 1sts this year and get a team's 2nd rounder this year and first rounder next year. To get that much, you're probably talking about trading down to the 10th pick or later. If so...

2021: two firsts, two seconds, two thirds. And JD would almost certainly trade down again with one of the seconds and/or thirds for even more picks.

2022: three firsts.... ammo to move up for a QB or to again trade one pick down for more picks.

ok, so with 2021 1st-round picks, I get a RT and an Edge. That's really what I'm after...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

My hope with free agency is kind of the same regardless of whether we get Watson or not.

WR: one of ARob, Corey Davis, Godwin, and Golladay

OL: one of Linsley, Thuney and Scherff

QB: CJ Beatherd as backup QB if no Watson. If Watson, just have Morgan

RB: Get committee guys like Breida

TE: add a guy like Gerald Everett

K: Target a guy like Koo from Atl

Resign our main guys and cut guys like Henry Anderson, Lewis, and van Rotten assuming we get replacements in the draft.

Free Agent is not THE solution but it should be part of the solution to fix this team. Get two upper tier guys and some role players. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I also want a C (move McGovern to RG), though it'd be fine to wait until the 2nd round.

#66 Josh Myers- Center- Ohio State - If we draft Wyatt Davis with our #23? Move McGovern to Guard. Oline is rebuilt.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

My hope with free agency is kind of the same regardless of whether we get Watson or not.

WR: one of ARob, Corey Davis, Godwin, and Golladay

OL: one of Linsley, Thuney and Scherff

QB: CJ Beatherd as backup QB if no Watson. If Watson, just have Morgan

RB: Get committee guys like Breida

TE: add a guy like Gerald Everett

K: Target a guy like Koo from Atl

Resign our main guys and cut guys like Henry Anderson, Lewis, and Rotten assuming we get replacements in the draft.

Free Agent is not THE solution but it should be part of the solution to fix this team. Get two upper tier guys and some role players. 

Lets hope Clark can take Van Rottens place. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I would trade the #2 pick if it gets two 1st-round picks. That way, I get to pick THREE 1st-round talents. My picks in order: RT, Edge, Best Available...

You don't draft positions, you draft players.  If drafting positions was so easy, I would say ignore the Watson trade talks and just draft a QB with the #2 pick.  Go QB, OT, WR.  If the QB, OT and WR don't work out, it was a bad draft.  

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In ordinary circumstances, you'd be right.  A year where the cap is going DOWN for the first time in history, and a bunch of teams were already in deep cap trouble to begin with, is not ordinary.

I demonstrated in another thread why it would be virtually impossible for the Bears to keep Allen Robinson without losing a bunch of other key players in the process.  You figuratively covered your ears and yelled "la la la la".

Teams will absolutely find ways to keep some of the key players.  Like, say, Kenny Golladay in Detroit.  But those same teams will also have to dump quality talent to make room.  So no matter how you splice it, there will be more quality talent hitting the open market this offseason than we've seen in a very long time.  Maybe ever. 

And the Jets are among a very small group of teams uniquely positioned to take advantage of this.  Some creativity, like sending low-round picks (such as 1-2 of our many 6th rounders) for pricey but talented players, is something you might see out of Douglas even if he doesn't get the FA's he likes.

We shall see,  virtually every single year I see this same argument for the jets with gobs of cap space and every other team in  the league is in cap hell.  We never walk away with 2 or 3 premium fa's  Every single year premium guys who are for sure going to be fa's go back to their own team as they find ways to cut, restructure trade whatever.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I think it won't be as crazy of a free agency as some predict. I do think they'll pick up 2 marquee free agents and at least 5-6 new starters/major contributors overall (many on cheap 1-year contracts, for example, Kwon Alexander and Marlon Mack) with quite a few trades, but the plan will be to remain financially flexible going forward. Every few years they'll make big splashes, otherwise, I think they'll look to avoid major free agency spending after this year while prioritizing the draft and the trade market.  

One of Douglas's goal is to maintain financial flexibility deep into the future. By ensuring he can rollover ~$20 million each year, he'll always be able to re-sign the cornerstone players and eliminate as many tough roster decisions as possible. He'll also be able to add aging veterans with 1 year deals at high salaries who are looking to compete every year.

I feel like these two important points/notes need to be taken into account in any FA conversation about the Jets. I don’t see us making any skill player (Like Robinson) the highest paid player at their position... which is what he’ll want more or less. 

The secondary is likely to see some love. The oline could be the biggest beneficiary to our spending. Pass Rush is another that will be emphasized IMO.

In order for some of our young marquee players to shine and develop - they can’t be expected to shoulder the whole load. You need to set up them up for success - by balancing rookies/youth some experience and leadership. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Can you imagine a 2-8 trade down before pick 10, to grab another 2 and 3... Now that would be impressive. 2 1's, 2 2's, 3 3's....  I can see with the right draft, us making a good jump in year 1 of this regime...

I'm willing to be patient for the first time to see this team built correctly and this coaching staff having a long career here. Sure we might lost a coordinator or 2, but how would that feel, rather than going through multiple coaches every 2 years.

Moving from 2-8 would get us much more than a 2 and 3.  Don't forget, it costed us 3 2's just to move up 3 spots to grab Sam.

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

WR - Robinson, Golladay, Godwin, Davis, Samuel

G - Thuney, Scherff, Zeitler (possible cut)

EDGE - Hendrickson, Barrett, Dupree, Judon, Clowney, Curry, Ingram

CB - Sherman, Verrett, Witherspoon, Darby

Wishful thinking. All 3 will want market setting type deals. Not gonna happen here IMO 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wishful thinking. All 3 will want market setting type deals. Not gonna happen here IMO 

Agree.  Should probably add Fuller, Higgins and Lazard as realistic options.  I think the 28 year olds are too close to their peaks to pay them what they want.

• Upvote 2

Just now, rayzor said:

Agree.  Should probably add Fuller, Higgins and Lazard as realistic options.  I think the 28 year olds are too close to their peaks to pay them what they want.

I don’t want Fuller.  his stats last year came from PEDs and garbage time

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's a big hope.  I'm really concerned about all 5 of our 2020 picks from Rounds 3 and 4 right now.  At this point, I'd sign up for just 2 of those 5 guys to become longterm starters.

710731192_ScreenShot2021-01-20at12_39_54PM.thumb.png.2c2e3f2797c9386fd214e9e02f001f93.png

I think you are gonna get 3 long term starters out of them....Davis, Clark and Morgan. Think they are way higher on this guy than they are letting on. Perrine can be a rotational guy. Zunigna, to me, is the wildcard. His measurables are pretty impressive. If Saleh can get to him, he could be a good edge guy.

• Upvote 2