Lets just talk free agents & our cap dollars

Jetster

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think you are gonna get 3 long term starters out of them....Davis, Clark and Morgan. Think they are way higher on this guy than they are letting on. Perrine can be a rotational guy. Zunigna, to me, is the wildcard. His measurables are pretty impressive. If Saleh can get to him, he could be a good edge guy.

I thought Perine ran tough. Got injured, happens to RBs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The day you have a managerial clue is the day Baker mayfield never makes a playoff appearance 

You’re right Paradis the Jets don’t have $62 million in cap space they have over $70 million

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/1/17/22228918/new-york-jets-salary-cap-space-2021-contracts-free-agents-sam-darnold-marcus-maye

A8EBD709-B01F-4DE8-966C-33CB9A48B163.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We shall see,  virtually every single year I see this same argument for the jets with gobs of cap space and every other team in  the league is in cap hell.  We never walk away with 2 or 3 premium fa's  Every single year premium guys who are for sure going to be fa's go back to their own team as they find ways to cut, restructure trade whatever.

And every year is not like this one.  We also have a competent GM who won't overpay the Mosley's or Le'Veon Bell's of the world.  

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wishful thinking. All 3 will want market setting type deals. Not gonna happen here IMO 

OK.  Absolutely nothing wrong with Corey Davis as a consolation prize if that's how it plays out.  Get a real QB here and a trio of Mims-Davis-Crowder is more than acceptable.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You’re right Paradis the Jets don’t have $62 million in cap space they have over $70 million

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/1/17/22228918/new-york-jets-salary-cap-space-2021-contracts-free-agents-sam-darnold-marcus-maye

A8EBD709-B01F-4DE8-966C-33CB9A48B163.jpeg

So? Lol 

I can rattle off a bunch of facts too. Albuquerque is in New Mexico. Gold has been the most stable investment. Should I continue? 

It doesn’t appear to be JD’s motif to make a 28 year skill player the highest paid at their position. this isn’t a “what would Phil do” scenario (thank god) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  Absolutely nothing wrong with Corey Davis as a consolation prize if that's how it plays out.  Get a real QB here and a trio of Mims-Davis-Crowder is more than acceptable.

Love Davis as an option. Was about to put him in my “potential” targets post. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If i had to chase a waterfall I would go after Godwin. Young with the least mileage, and injury history. I would think all GMs have same notion tho, he will likely command the most and the other two will follow. DET needs Golladay and his injury this year will inspire him to stay for a 1 year prove it deal - unless of course there’s real long term concern between him and his agent about his health and career. In which case he’ll take the most guarantee money as possibly in what could be his last contract. hip injuries —> bad. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If i had to chase a waterfall I would go after Godwin. Young with the least mileage, and injury history. I would think all GMs have same notion tho, he will likely command the most and the other two will follow. DET needs Golladay and his injury this year will inspire him to stay for a 1 year prove it deal - unless of course there’s real long term concern between him and his agent about his health and career. In which case he’ll take the most guarantee money as possibly in what could be his last contract. hip injuries —> bad. 

Agreed.  Godwin is my top choice, followed by Robinson/Golladay in basically a dead heat.  But Golladay won't be available, I don't think.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Mycole Pruitt, another one of your favorite small school TEs is a free agent as well.  

Haha how do you remembered that??

I admit to still raising my head my from my phone every time his name was called in a Titans game. That class had a few Paradis crushes. Wes Saxton, the Jaguar before Everett made an appearance in green and white...

but my true blue sweet heart that year was the gator by way of Tennessee Tech — AC Leonard. Disappeared mysteriously from Vikings TC and surfaced in the CFL... was a beast too. Flipped over to the DL after a years. Weird. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If Godwin does not look  VERY good this week I pass.  He has been stink bad the last 3 weeks.  He looks like Mcciarens out there the way he is catching the ball and running patterns.

Golloday I like, Robinson I like but I still say he does not shake loose.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Haha how do you remembered that??

I admit to still raising my head my from my phone every time his name was called in a Titans game. That class had a few Paradis crushes. Wes Saxton, the Jaguar before Everett made an appearance in green and white...

but my true blue sweet heart that year was the gator by way of Tennessee Tech — AC Leonard. Disappeared mysteriously from Vikings TC and surfaced in the CFL... was a beast too. Flipped over to the DL after a years. Weird. 

I remember a lot about those small school kids.  How can you forget that Brandon Bridge to Wes Saxton connection at South Alabama?  Lol..

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Lets take Watson out of the equation for now. 

I keep reading threads in which it seems that the only thing that matters is more & more draft picks. It's unusual already to have #2, #23 & #34 + two 3rds #66 & #87. When is the last time we had that many high picks? Parcells? 4 firsts? 

The Jets have the 2nd highest cap dollars available in the entire league & only Marcus Maye would be a guy to resign to a long term contract. 

A team that has always been sucked off by the media every year for their masterful trade backs has been the Patriots. Well, if they were so good at drafting why did they have to sign Gilmore, or the myriad of players they have traded for or signed in free agency? Moss, Welker, Amendola, Chung, Gordon, Shelton, Collins, Van Noy, Burkhead, Jason McCourty, Moncrief, Newton,? 

The 1st year Brady leaves the building they don't even go .500 & miss the playoffs. Point being, this infactuation with having so many draft picks is crazy! there should be a stud at everyone of those draft spots & all JD has to do is make the right choices unlike Macc who constantly missed, over & over again. 

Even if Mims turns out to be very good, it was understandable that he was maneuvering for picks last year BUT look at the WR he bypassed to get the Davis pick? Chase Claypool.

Now, I have no idea how good Denzel Mims will be BUT I already know that Chase Claypool is good enough that the Steelers are waving bye bye to a free agent WR in Juju Smith who is currently better than any WR on this team currently. So be careful what you wish for with these trade backs. You can only integrate so many rookies into your team & my point is that JD is not sitting on 80 million in free agency dollars this year with what is the best free agent market in a long time & not as many buyers. 

That is why a trade back from #2 should not be just for draft picks but also for one or more players. As I have said before if you want a potential FQB in a trade up you have to pay for it with more than just draft picks that are more unknown than experienced players. 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Very rarely does FA fix issues. 

Really?! Really??!!

• Do you not remember 1998? a guy named Vinny Testaverde fixed a problem. Parcells guys came in and success ensued. 
  • Do you not remember 2009? guys like Bart Scott, Alan Faneca, and a host of others made a big difference.

No, you can't build an entire team with FAs but you can definitely fix specific issues with free agents. It's got to be the right fit. For example, Herschel Walker was NOT the right fit for the Minnesota Vikings. etc...

BTW, i'm kinda NOT liking how players can just load up certain teams. but life is unfair...

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Unless your name is Jamal Freaking Adams.

when I saw that there were no less than 5 threads devoted in some way to Jamal Adams playoff Sunday, it was clear: these guys really hate him.

what is it about him that enrages you so much? You didn't like him when he was here and now you hate him for leaving you? 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I want it all and i want it now

I don't know that I do. It may sound good to fantasize, but how many rookies do you realistically envision them starting at the same time? They're better off spacing it out, if they can, with 2 1sts and 2 2nds for 3-4 straight drafts. Success will be more sustainable that way, as opposed to all their good young 1st rounders hitting FA at the same time. 

If you want success now, where we're serious contenders no later than next year, then the surest way is making a move for Watson if they can.

Last thing I'd want to see is them pass up on him, use 3 1st rounders on non-QBs this year after trading down, and then using 2 1sts (maybe more) to move up for their next FQB who may or may not be the next Darnold, Rosen, Mariota, Winston, Trubisky, Bortles, Manuel, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Bradford, etc. on whom they waste 3+ seasons.

JMO. Doesn't make me right.

14 hours ago, phill1c said:

Really?! Really??!!

• Do you not remember 1998? a guy named Vinny Testaverde fixed a problem. Parcells guys came in and success ensued. 
  • Do you not remember 2009? guys like Bart Scott, Alan Faneca, and a host of others made a big difference.

No, you can't build an entire team with FAs but you can definitely fix specific issues with free agents. It's got to be the right fit. For example, Herschel Walker was NOT the right fit for the Minnesota Vikings. etc...

BTW, i'm kinda NOT liking how players can just load up certain teams. but life is unfair...

So twice in a 22-year period is evidence of this?  And those teams had an established core before adding those FA's.  Both the 1997 Jets and the 2008 Jets went 9-7, after all.

FA's compliment whatever homegrown talent you already have on your roster.  They aren't really a solution for a bad roster.  Adding expensive WR's would be useless in 2021 if our QB is still Sam Darnold.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:00 AM, Jetster said:

Lets take Watson out of the equation for now. 

I keep reading threads in which it seems that the only thing that matters is more & more draft picks. It's unusual already to have #2, #23 & #34 + two 3rds #66 & #87. When is the last time we had that many high picks? Parcells? 4 firsts? 

The Jets have the 2nd highest cap dollars available in the entire league & only Marcus Maye would be a guy to resign to a long term contract. 

A team that has always been sucked off by the media every year for their masterful trade backs has been the Patriots. Well, if they were so good at drafting why did they have to sign Gilmore, or the myriad of players they have traded for or signed in free agency? Moss, Welker, Amendola, Chung, Gordon, Shelton, Collins, Van Noy, Burkhead, Jason McCourty, Moncrief, Newton,? 

The 1st year Brady leaves the building they don't even go .500 & miss the playoffs. Point being, this infactuation with having so many draft picks is crazy! there should be a stud at everyone of those draft spots & all JD has to do is make the right choices unlike Macc who constantly missed, over & over again. 

Even if Mims turns out to be very good, it was understandable that he was maneuvering for picks last year BUT look at the WR he bypassed to get the Davis pick? Chase Claypool.

Now, I have no idea how good Denzel Mims will be BUT I already know that Chase Claypool is good enough that the Steelers are waving bye bye to a free agent WR in Juju Smith who is currently better than any WR on this team currently. So be careful what you wish for with these trade backs. You can only integrate so many rookies into your team & my point is that JD is not sitting on 80 million in free agency dollars this year with what is the best free agent market in a long time & not as many buyers. 

do you think claypool would have the same production if he played on last season's jets?  the patsies may be average in drafting but they good at evaluating other teams's cast offs.  moss was a bit of a troublemaker in minnesota and took plays off with the raiders,  he goes to the patsies and is a model citizen.  i think winning and internal culture has a lot to do with it. it think your point about overvaluing draft picks is valid.  some gms don't want the hassle of evaluating drafts and prefer vets.  that's good and bad considering the contraints these teams have to work under.  good because it's far easier to evaluate how a player will play in the nfl and bad because there are slugs who only play for their contracts and then mail it in.

and, the jets did pretty well when they drafted abraham, ellis, chaddy and becht.  if chaddy wasn't such a china doll it may have been the best draft ever.

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know that I do. It may sound good to fantasize, but how many rookies do you realistically envision them starting at the same time? They're better off spacing it out, if they can, with 2 1sts and 2 2nds for 3-4 straight drafts. Success will be more sustainable that way, as opposed to all their good young 1st rounders hitting FA at the same time. 

If you want success now, where we're serious contenders no later than next year, then the surest way is making a move for Watson if they can.

Last thing I'd want to see is them pass up on him, use 3 1st rounders on non-QBs this year after trading down, and then using 2 1sts (maybe more) to move up for their next FQB who may or may not be the next Darnold, Rosen, Mariota, Winston, Trubisky, Bortles, Manuel, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Bradford, etc. on whom they waste 3+ seasons.

JMO. Doesn't make me right.

JD is in a great postion. He just hired a Head Coach & that hire is making waves throughout the league. All these players are social media (twitter) followers & seeing guys like Sherman pushing the Watson narrative for the New York Jets is freaking awesome! Whether it happens or not. 

I think you'll see just like with Parcells, a bunch of low level free agent signings from guys out of the 49ers organization that would love the familiar with Sahel & comfortable with him. I also see a couple of shockers, maybe a Corey Lindsey (move McGovern over to RG move? Then I see the trade route where JD targets a players like Marshon Lattimore (A guy by the way that would never be available if the Saints didn't have to rebuild & are 71 million over the cap). Maybe a Trey Hendrickson signing? And like others have said, maybe a WR that's not so expensive (Corey Davis?) & they draft one at #23 or #34? (sweet spot for a STUD WR).

I don't see 4/5 BIG BIG free agent buys.

• Upvote 1

With $70M in cap, the Jets are going to have to sign some big names.  I'd venture to guess at least two guys in the $10-15M+ range.  Quite simply, we need to spend money to build a competitive team and JD is not here to save the Johnson's money.  He's here to win football games. 

That doesn't mean he goes hog wild and pays out Trumaine Johnson deals left and right, but a pair of names like Robinson and Thuney, or Golladay and Scherff are completely within reason and we're probably going to have to bring in at least one of them, if not two.  In any case, he's going to need to spend at least $40-50M in salary cap on Free Agents although some of that may include re-signing Maye.  

And while we're talking salary cap, cutting Henry Anderson adds another $8.2M which I think is a highly probably move.  So now we're up closer to $80M in cap to spend.  Bit, I think you are going to be proven oh so wrong in March and April but we'll see.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:37 AM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Edge rusher , edge rusher , edge rusher

Trey Hendrickson - NO - DE - 26 years old  - 2020: 13.5 sacks, 12 TFL, 25 QB Hits, 15 starts  - One year wonder so could be cheaper than the bigger name free agents. Estimated salary range: $9M - $10M

Romeo Okwara - DET - DE - 25 years old - 2020: 10 sacks, 11 TFL, 18 QB Hits, 9 starts - had one other season (2108) with 7.5 sacks.  Not a big name guy that may come cheaper than other free agents.  Estimated salary range: $10M - $12M

Kerry Hyder - SF - DE - 29 years old - 2020: 8.5 sacks, 10 TFL, 18 QB Hits - similar to Okwara, had a great season with only one previous great season in 2016 with 8 sacks.  The advantage with him is his connection with Saleh.  Estimated salary range: $11M.

Carl Lawson - CIN - DE - 25 years old - 2020: 5.5 sacks, 4 TFL, 32 QB Hits - a more consistent player than the rest averaging 5 sacks a year but has not had a season to match his rookie season with 8.5 sacks. Estimated salary range: $9 - 10M.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Trey Hendrickson - NO - DE - 26 years old  - 2020: 13.5 sacks, 12 TFL, 25 QB Hits, 15 starts  - One year wonder so could be cheaper than the bigger name free agents. Estimated salary range: $9M - $10M

Romeo Okwara - DET - DE - 25 years old - 2020: 10 sacks, 11 TFL, 18 QB Hits, 9 starts - had one other season (2108) with 7.5 sacks.  Not a big name guy that may come cheaper than other free agents.  Estimated salary range: $10M - $12M

Kerry Hyder - SF - DE - 29 years old - 2020: 8.5 sacks, 10 TFL, 18 QB Hits - similar to Okwara, had a great season with only one previous great season in 2016 with 8 sacks.  The advantage with him is his connection with Saleh.  Estimated salary range: $11M.

Carl Lawson - CIN - DE - 25 years old - 2020: 5.5 sacks, 4 TFL, 32 QB Hits - a more consistent player than the rest averaging 5 sacks a year but has not had a season to match his rookie season with 8.5 sacks. Estimated salary range: $9 - 10M.

tenor.gif?itemid=13243300