Jump to content

Lets just talk free agents & our cap dollars


Recommended Posts

On 1/20/2021 at 11:00 AM, Jetster said:

The 1st year Brady leaves the building they don't even go .500 & miss the playoffs. Point being, this infactuation with having so many draft picks is crazy! there should be a stud at everyone of those draft spots & all JD has to do is make the right choices unlike Macc who constantly missed, over & over again. 

The only reason that happened is because everyone good player on that team decided to sit out the year for Covid. I'm sure if they were full strength, they would have won more. Would they have taken the division, probably not, but I'm sure they wouldn't have been were they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it won't be as crazy of a free agency as some predict. I do think they'll pick up 2 marquee free agents and at least 5-6 new starters/major contributors overall (many on cheap 1-year contracts

Very rarely does FA fix issues.  There are usually a total of 3 or 4 really desirable players from all position groups and a huge demand by all teams to get them.  Also the Fa list shrinks as teams fi

Is the point here that picks are overvalued because the Patriots suck at drafting? The best way to remain competitive year over year is to draft well and develop talent. That requires a good fron

Posted Images

On 1/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I think some offenses are limited in their use.  Gase certainly seemed to be Crowder or Berrios but not both (unless Crowder was throwing to Berrios).  There are some guys that need to play from the slot to get off the line which is why some oldtimey guys like me become prejudiced thinking that it is for tiny guys.  

If LaFleur is going to be more flexible, maybe there is room to spend on another slot if it is the best value.  One of the reasons I was against getting Smith-Schuster is that I think it is much more effective to use an outside receiver in the slot than a slot receiver outside.  Crowder and Berrrios are not doing much damage outside

I dont think its necessarily a player who can play in the slot, as you can put anyone in the slot. Its more players who cant play on the outside.  I like Crowder, but he simply isnt big or fast enough to make plays down the field from an outside WR position, nor is he big enough to battle for contested balls on the outside - hence he is relegated to the slot. 

Someone like Samuel is fast enough to take advantage of single coverage on the outside, but also is quick enough to run jet sweeps etc.  A guy like that lets LaFluer use motion even more to his advantage and help out the whole offense.  Hes my first choice over Robinson.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You would expect the SF free agent RB's to get some interest from Saleh & Lefleur. I'd be ok with either. Jonnu Smith would be a good under the radar signing as well as Corey Davis & Curtis Samuel. Could be had much cheaper than Davis, Godwin & Robinson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, sec101row23 said:

People keep saying this but, I’m not sure that Robinson is the best fit for this offense.  If you’re going to spend that money it should be on a receiver that operates in space better and has better YAC capability.  I’d give Curtis Samuel a call before I would Robinson.  The Jets have Mims to occupy the X role, but really nothin else for the Z, which is a critical role in the Shanny offense.   You guys need to keep in mind scheme fit when evaluating these FAs, especially when discussing the higher priced ones. 

Spot on regarding scheme fit. The SF offense also requires exceptional blocking from their WRs. Samuel also lines up at RB like Debo Samuel

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I dont think its necessarily a player who can play in the slot, as you can put anyone in the slot. Its more players who cant play on the outside.  I like Crowder, but he simply isnt big or fast enough to make plays down the field from an outside WR position, nor is he big enough to battle for contested balls on the outside - hence he is relegated to the slot. 

Someone like Samuel is fast enough to take advantage of single coverage on the outside, but also is quick enough to run jet sweeps etc.  A guy like that lets LaFluer use motion even more to his advantage and help out the whole offense.  Hes my first choice over Robinson.

I assume you are basing that on perceived value after the contract, and not straight up, right? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 10:16 AM, Butterfield said:

Corey Linsley should be the focus.  I don’t see the Jets signing a bunch of big names. 

agreed !  😎..with our gm i seriously doubt he will be  " signing a bunch of big names "   😉

 

 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 2:39 PM, jetstream23 said:

That's a big hope.  I'm really concerned about all 5 of our 2020 picks from Rounds 3 and 4 right now.  At this point, I'd sign up for just 2 of those 5 guys to become longterm starters.

710731192_ScreenShot2021-01-20at12_39_54PM.thumb.png.2c2e3f2797c9386fd214e9e02f001f93.png

Not gonna lie. I’m hopeful JD picked some winners, but I hated most of these mid-rounders.

Granted I don’t watch NCAA and fo a draft cramming session every year for the JN mock, but I also consistently nail down productive mid-rounders.

I don’t know - fingers crossed that JD ends up better at this than a know-it-all monkey.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Not gonna lie. I’m hopeful JD picked some winners, but I hated most of these mid-rounders.

Granted I don’t watch NCAA and fo a draft cramming session every year for the JN mock, but I also consistently nail down productive mid-rounders.

I don’t know - fingers crossed that JD ends up better at this than a know-it-all monkey.

JD will continue to draft or sign FA competition for these players. Look at players like Edoga and Wesco. They'll be off the roster soon (maybe even this year) if they don't show the ability to contribute. Competition at all positions is JD mantra.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 10:16 AM, Butterfield said:

Corey Linsley should be the focus.  I don’t see the Jets signing a bunch of big names. 

He would be a very solid signing. Rated high among OL in every category. We need a savvy Center.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  Absolutely nothing wrong with Corey Davis as a consolation prize if that's how it plays out.  Get a real QB here and a trio of Mims-Davis-Crowder is more than acceptable.

If you are speaking of AJ Brown..... I'm all in. Guy is a beast. Physical receiver who fits the Shanahan model of sealing the edge and blocking downfield as well as YAC. I'd be surprised if Titans let him walk.

 

Prefer Brown over Davis though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If you are speaking of AJ Brown..... I'm all in. Guy is a beast. Physical receiver who fits the Shanahan model of sealing the edge and blocking downfield as well as YAC. I'd be surprised if Titans let him walk.

 

Prefer Brown over Davis though.

No, I am talking about Corey Davis, who is a free agent this offseason.  AJ Brown is on his rookie deal.  He's not available.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

The only reason that happened is because everyone good player on that team decided to sit out the year for Covid. I'm sure if they were full strength, they would have won more. Would they have taken the division, probably not, but I'm sure they wouldn't have been were they are.

Give me a break! Hightower & Chung & an average Guard. EVERY GOOD PLAYER? GTFOOH!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, kelly said:

agreed !  😎..with our gm i seriously doubt he will be  " signing a bunch of big names "   😉

 

 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

and please.. 

tumblr_mg45ipzGCx1r2n0jso1_500.gif

😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jetster said:

Give me a break! Hightower & Chung & an average Guard. EVERY GOOD PLAYER? GTFOOH!

Marcus Cannon is an average guard?  I thought he was a PFF darling tackle.  They lost 8 players,  I think Lacosse was a starter, Bolden played all their specials.  Lee was a risky low level signing but I hear Jets fans acting like Josh Doctson was a loss. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Marcus Cannon is an average guard?  I thought he was a PFF darling tackle.  They lost 8 players,  I think Lacosse was a starter, Bolden played all their specials.  Lee was a risky low level signing but I hear Jets fans acting like Josh Doctson was a loss. 

So Hightower, Chung, Cannon, Bolden (they still had Sony Michel, Rex Burkhead & White) & Lacosse cost them in the playoffs? Highly doubtful! Mosely is a better player than any of those guys, Plus as least the veteran Doctson could have helped while Mims missed 8 weeks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft picks, specifically drafting well, is much more important than FA dollars. Having young productive players on rookie deals is what gives you that cap flexibility. Also you can't disregard the importance of those later round picks that don't get much attention with regards to depth, which the Jets never seem to have (because of bad drafting) Good teams always have a pipeline of players at key positions. You mentioned one yourself with Juju and Claypool. 

Bottom line is that, if the Jet have proven anything in the past decade its that free agents dollars mean NOTHING if you can't draft. This team has been as bad as its been as a direct result of bad drafting. Christ, we had a GM that elected to keep/use TWELVE draft picks in one year and literally came away with NOTHING. That's actually exceedingly hard to accomplish. You could have followed a draft board tweeted by an 8 year old who based it on his favorite college mascots and do better than 0-for-12

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...