Would You Rather Have DeShaun Watson Or Trevor Lawrence?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why is it that there have been zero complaints about Watson's attitude until this offseason?  All reports have suggested since his Clemson days that he's super likable, a quality citizen in his community, beloved by teammates and coaches, a true leader, and a positive role model.

He had his top, superstar WR traded for peanuts prior to the season.  Ownership changed hands from known racist Bob McNair (who once said "the prisoners can't be running the asylum....both an inappropriate comment and also one that ended up foreshadowing how the org would treat Watson later) to his son, Cal, who appears to be as bad or worse of an owner than his Dad.  There is a nefarious con-man in the organization who tried to suck up to Watson while ignoring the other leader of the team, JJ Watt, to which Watson took issue (rather than accept the adoration).  The coach/GM was deservedly fired but Watson was lied to when he was told he'd have some say in the direction of the franchise.  

I'd be pissed the f**k off and want out if I was Watson, too.  His "attitude" is entirely based on the environment and toxic culture Texans ownership has created, and says nothing negative about Watson himself.

I've heard that phrase since I was a kid and it was never racial till now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  Put yourself in the shoes of the Jaguars then.  Suppose the Texans offered Watson for the # 1 pick.  Do you accept that deal?

I 100 % would if I'm Jacksonville.  I'd also give Houston more picks, if necessary.  

OK you sold me, if we can get Watson for just our #2, then lets do the deal.... Oh wait, that ain't happening lol...

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I've heard that phrase since I was a kid and it was never racial till now.

Notify all who are offended that we're changing the phrase to you can't let the crybabies run the asylum. That includes inmates, kids, students, football teams, third world countries, low-income communities, anybody at the DMV, anybody at the supermarket and so on!

Anytime there's a general statement like this and someone takes offense, they know they're guilty and probably need their ass kicked! Old school fight or flight. Sorry no more handouts.

Man I miss my Mom she couldn't wait to beat everybody's ass for s*** you thought about doing LOL! Damn straight kept us in line. Sometimes there's no reason to change things. Leave them how they are.

BTW that phrase has absolutely zero to do with anything racist, we're all just supposed to walk around on eggshells now afraid to offend anybody. Please explain to me how that's progress?

And please tell me also how these people or organizations who constantly fight for equality and equal rights suddenly want to be applauded and praised that they're different when they finally accomplish something?

Well if you're equal then you don't need Applause  or recognition for doing what you're supposed to do right? For example that making a big stink about the first female referee ever in the Super Bowl? I think you've completely just diminished everything she worked hard and Uphill against. How about she's just a referee that was good enough to be chosen to be on the crew. Pointing out that she's a female, I don't know I find something insulting about that.

The same as when they pointed out the all-black officiating crew. I never would have noticed I was just watching football. But if those guys are qualified then why did you bring it to my attention? I'm not being hostile or political I just wonder if anybody else feels the same way I do? When you make it a point to say that somebody's a female, or the first black whatever, or handicapped were the first gay mayor or whatever, I almost think it diminishes what the person worked through and fought for to get to where they are. We all have it tough somehow. There's no reason to point that people's differences, especially if you're constantly preaching equality. Just my two cents

52 minutes ago, British Jet said:

It's not Watson or Lawrence though is it.

It's Watson or Lawrence and three other first round picks.

Same applies to Lawrence. We’d have to trade up to #1 to get him. 

This question really only applies to the Jags. They’re the only team which is in position to answer it.

• Upvote 3

it's hard to choose without knowing more than just what has been said about both guys.  i kinda think there would be a whole lot of pressure on watson to succeed and maybe this is good for a young team.  but it could also be bad for watson.  lawrence would be able to grow with the team  of course the whole money issue is there.

17 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'd go with Lawrence. I'm not hitching my future to a QB who's trying to shoot his way out of his existing franchise regardless of its valid reasons to do so. 

I kind of agree, but this is really on the Texans. They traded away maybe the best WR in football for next to nothing and he didn't really complain. It wasn't till they flat out lied to him about about taking his input on hires post the Bill O'Brien dumpster fire that he got pissed. It's not whether or not a QB should have input in that decision. It's the fact publically and privately they said he would have input and they went behind his back and ignored him after they gave their word. Anyone with a set of nuts would be pissed off

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

OK you sold me, if we can get Watson for just our #2, then lets do the deal.... Oh wait, that ain't happening lol...

We're talking Lawrence vs Watson in this thread.  Obviously the # 1 pick is significantly more valuable than # 2 at this moment because of Lawrence.  I didn't say anything about the # 2 pick being enough to get him.  And I'd argue # 1 wouldn't be enough either if we had ended up picking 1st.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Same applies to Lawrence. We’d have to trade up to #1 to get him. 

This question really only applies to the Jags. They’re the only team which is in position to answer it.

And there's no friggin way the Texans trade Watson to a place where they have to face him twice a year.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Notify all who are offended that we're changing the phrase to you can't let the crybabies run the asylum. That includes inmates, kids, students, football teams, third world countries, low-income communities, anybody at the DMV, anybody at the supermarket and so on!

Anytime there's a general statement like this and someone takes offense, they know they're guilty and probably need their ass kicked! Old school fight or flight. Sorry no more handouts.

Man I miss my Mom she couldn't wait to beat everybody's ass for s*** you thought about doing LOL! Damn straight kept us in line. Sometimes there's no reason to change things. Leave them how they are.

BTW that phrase has absolutely zero to do with anything racist, we're all just supposed to walk around on eggshells now afraid to offend anybody. Please explain to me how that's progress?

And please tell me also how these people or organizations who constantly fight for equality and equal rights suddenly want to be applauded and praised that they're different when they finally accomplish something?

Well if you're equal then you don't need Applause  or recognition for doing what you're supposed to do right? For example that making a big stink about the first female referee ever in the Super Bowl? I think you've completely just diminished everything she worked hard and Uphill against. How about she's just a referee that was good enough to be chosen to be on the crew. Pointing out that she's a female, I don't know I find something insulting about that.

The same as when they pointed out the all-black officiating crew. I never would have noticed I was just watching football. But if those guys are qualified then why did you bring it to my attention? I'm not being hostile or political I just wonder if anybody else feels the same way I do? When you make it a point to say that somebody's a female, or the first black whatever, or handicapped were the first gay mayor or whatever, I almost think it diminishes what the person worked through and fought for to get to where they are. We all have it tough somehow. There's no reason to point that people's differences, especially if you're constantly preaching equality. Just my two cents

The reason its a problematic statement is that the school-to-prison pipeline in poor, mainly black school systems is a severe problem in society.  And even if McNair was unaware of this, making an analogy that compares players in a league that is mostly black as "inmates" is incredibly inappropriate.  

And I recall the phrase was usually "you can't let the inmates run the ASYLUM", not prison.  

This idea that anyone should be able to say anything they want without any consequences sh*t needs to stop.  There's nothing wrong with suggesting people take some time and care when considering the messages they're trying to convey.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Welcome to the safe space. Thank you for sharing.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

I'd rather have DeShaun.  I know he's really good at the NFL level.

Lawrence very probably will be.

Are you talking either or.

Or, Trevor on a rookie contract with all your other picks vs DeShaun at his contract, minus the TL pick plus 2 other 1st rounders?

18 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

I'd rather have DeShaun.  I know he's really good at the NFL level.

Lawrence very probably will be.

Trevor Lawrence but only if he'd be there at #2. We need that draft ammo to rebuild lots of weak spots.  We wouldn't have to give up a kings ransom to get him like Watson. I really DON'T want a malcontent like Watson on the team. Good Lord we just got rid of one in Jamal. 

• Upvote 1