Would You Rather Have DeShaun Watson Or Trevor Lawrence?

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why is it that there have been zero complaints about Watson's attitude until this offseason?  All reports have suggested since his Clemson days that he's super likable, a quality citizen in his community, beloved by teammates and coaches, a true leader, and a positive role model.

He had his top, superstar WR traded for peanuts prior to the season.  Ownership changed hands from known racist Bob McNair (who once said "the prisoners can't be running the asylum....both an inappropriate comment and also one that ended up foreshadowing how the org would treat Watson later) to his son, Cal, who appears to be as bad or worse of an owner than his Dad.  There is a nefarious con-man in the organization who tried to suck up to Watson while ignoring the other leader of the team, JJ Watt, to which Watson took issue (rather than accept the adoration).  The coach/GM was deservedly fired but Watson was lied to when he was told he'd have some say in the direction of the franchise.  

I'd be pissed the f**k off and want out if I was Watson, too.  His "attitude" is entirely based on the environment and toxic culture Texans ownership has created, and says nothing negative about Watson himself.

his character and attitude have never been questioned... actually praised. 

the Texans have been and are a disaster working with and keeping players happy. You are hearing former texans speak out about how bad it is, Andre Johnson has even commented. I don't remember ever hearing Johnson even trying to be in the medias attention except for the fight with Cortland Finnegan.

The fact that we have 5 first round picks in next 3 years, thank you Jamal.... don't know how we don't spend 3 of them and get the QB that we all know can play and is still very young. Sure we could take Fields or another and hope their Watson's level, odds are more likely than not that they wouldn't be. Odds are we don't "hit" on all of those picks either. I trust JD but its just facts in the draft. 

Get Watson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I kind of agree, but this is really on the Texans. They traded away maybe the best WR in football for next to nothing and he didn't really complain. It wasn't till they flat out lied to him about about taking his input on hires post the Bill O'Brien dumpster fire that he got pissed. It's not whether or not a QB should have input in that decision. It's the fact publically and privately they said he would have input and they went behind his back and ignored him after they gave their word. Anyone with a set of nuts would be pissed off

You could argue its the same scenario as Jamal here , he was promised an extension but not delivered. I'll admit Deshaun has handled it much better but still if this continues at what point does the NFL become the NBA where players dictate where and who they want to play with. 

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Are you talking either or.

Or, Trevor on a rookie contract with all your other picks vs DeShaun at his contract, minus the TL pick plus 2 other 1st rounders?

Can't speak for keltic, but yes, the latter sounds better than the former.  Watson, his contract, and the other pick(s) given up >>>> Trevor Lawrence on a rookie deal.

20 hours ago, PS17 said:

Lawrence on a rookie deal > Watson at $40 mil a year

Watson led the NFL in passing yards, threw 33 TDs to only 7 INTs.  

Lawrence struggled vs Ohio State and never has thrown a NFL pass

Ones a given.  With Lawrence you hope he becomes as good as Watson is right now

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Watson led the NFL in passing yards, threw 33 TDs to only 7 INTs.  

Lawrence struggled vs Ohio State and never has thrown a NFL pass

Ones a given.  With Lawrence you hope he becomes as good as Watson is right now

And using that same logic in 1998 Neil O’Donnel would be more valuable than Peyton Manning

Okay, there's been some discussion about what the circumstances are about this, so I'll clarify.  The question is would you prefer DeShaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence if it takes a somewhat similar amount of picks or players to pry each away from Houston or Jacksonville, respectively.  If you don't believe that one team or the other will actually part with their QB for any price, just accept hypothetically that it might happen, and tell us which QB you would prefer.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

What’s a “Watson like QB?” Go 4-12 just because the owner gave away Hopkins?

Yeah, thats the way people rate QBs.  The teams W/L record is all on the QB.  And really, anyone who watches football knows that the only reason they played like shlt, fired their HC was because they traded Hopkins away.  

You may not want to make a trade and give up draft picks, thats fine.  Dont try and say Watson sucks.  Then it gets kind of goofy

I do wonder if this new offense that will be implemented is a great fit for Deshaun.  One of the things that I feel Deshaun has struggled with is running play action where he has to turn his back to the defense to facilitate the fake.  He’s much better with the read option fakes when he is facing the defense.   I’m sure he could be successful, but if you are drawing up an ideal offense for Deshaun, I’m not sure the Shanny system is ideal.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2021 at 9:55 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Why is it that there have been zero complaints about Watson's attitude until this offseason?  All reports have suggested since his Clemson days that he's super likable, a quality citizen in his community, beloved by teammates and coaches, a true leader, and a positive role model.

He had his top, superstar WR traded for peanuts prior to the season.  Ownership changed hands from known racist Bob McNair (who once said "the inmates can't be running the prison....both an inappropriate comment and also one that ended up foreshadowing how the org would treat Watson later) to his son, Cal, who appears to be as bad or worse of an owner than his Dad.  There is a nefarious con-man in the organization who tried to suck up to Watson while ignoring the other leader of the team, JJ Watt, to which Watson took issue (rather than accept the adoration).  The coach/GM was deservedly fired but Watson was lied to when he was told he'd have some say in the direction of the franchise.  

I'd be pissed the f**k off and want out if I was Watson, too.  His "attitude" is entirely based on the environment and toxic culture Texans ownership has created, and says nothing negative about Watson himself.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, Stark said:

his character and attitude have never been questioned... actually praised. 

the Texans have been and are a disaster working with and keeping players happy. You are hearing former texans speak out about how bad it is, Andre Johnson has even commented. I don't remember ever hearing Johnson even trying to be in the medias attention except for the fight with Cortland Finnegan.

The fact that we have 5 first round picks in next 3 years, thank you Jamal.... don't know how we don't spend 3 of them and get the QB that we all know can play and is still very young. Sure we could take Fields or another and hope their Watson's level, odds are more likely than not that they wouldn't be. Odds are we don't "hit" on all of those picks either. I trust JD but its just facts in the draft. 

Get Watson.

Let’s call this what it is: there is nearly complete overlap between Darnold devotees and those that are bad mouthing Watson. Because Darnold’s performance is indefensible, their only option is to trash all potential alternatives.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Let’s call this what it is: there is nearly complete overlap between Darnold devotees and those that are bad mouthing Watson. Because Darnold’s performance is indefensible, their only option is to trash all potential alternatives.

Some overlap, yes.  But I've seen several staunch anti-Darnold people bashing Watson as well.