Hypothetical; what if they ALL retire....?

Paradis

Absolutely right.... Chain reaction will be set off as these teams scramble. The Mason Rudolh's, Teddy Bridgewater's and Jameis Winton's of the world suddenly are in high demand.

Lance, Jones and Trask shoot up the draft boards. Teams picking 7-14 may find teams looking to move up for a Qb. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

For fun, let's speculate that after Rivers-- 

• Ben retires over trying to work with PIT on the financial chaos that looms ahead of that team
  • Brady goes the SB and hangs them up
  • Brees almost assured to at this point it seems
  • Alex Smith, cause why not?

You're talking about a QB  Vacuum that will leave - PIT, TB, NOS, IND, WSH all without a proven solution... ALL playoff teams too

Fall out would include:

• Overpaid veterans like Winston, Brisset, Fitzpatrick, etc
  • HOU could in theory ask for ALL the picks ever, and some GM's daughters. (mileage may vary) 
  • Appetite for reclamation projects like Darnold, Haskins, Goff even?, Wentz maybe too
  • value of the NYJ and MIA picks at #2 and #3 become more priceless than that bitch Da Vinci painted 

Thoughts on how the jets leverage all that?

DuckTales-Scrooge-McDuck.jpg

Possibly your best work ever. DaVinci line is fantastic.?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

The list of teams with aging/retiring QB's, or disappointing QB's is huge. There will be value in our #2 pick, so hopefully someone gets desperate

Personally I would like to use that pick ourselves or trade it for Watson, but I know it in my bones that Darnold is our QB next year

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well the thing is, whether Brees, Ben, etc all retire or not, there was still going to be a vacuum for QB's.  Those guys were all on the downturn of their careers anyways and several of those teams were going to be in the market for a QB.  

I think the notable difference is those teams were largely competitive and able to make deep runs. Their roster isn’t really geared to be on a holding pattern while they tinker with rookies... or not? Maybe WSH thinks Fields can be the difference maker. 

it would make this off-season insane tho. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Tough crowd. I know it doesn’t say Watson in the title but still a good topic 

Trubisky also a reclamation project?

it could happen(they all retire)....how many years does Rodgers have.....either way it might not be a great time to be ignoring the QB position at 2 

No real interest in this thread since it doesn’t fit with the only 3 topics we’re talking about right now.

Seriously, great stuff. I’m not sure how likely it is but it’s fun to think about and original. Think we’re in for a wild offseason. Only reason I’m responding is the POTW reaction alone felt inadequate.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Trubisky also a reclamation project?

it could happen(they all retire)....how many years does Rodgers have.....either way it might not be a great time to be ignoring the QB position at 2 

Fck. Never thought of it like that but good point. Between this year and next your looking at looking at league turn over at the position of 25+%

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Some of these playoff teams have a QB problem AND cap issues to boot (NO, Pitt). I bet we're going to see a lot more top line players involved in trades this year vs. just draft picks and JAGs... 

Yep. If things fell this way (all retired) I think teams like NOS and PHI will have to decide on Winston/Hill and Wentz/Hurts. The return on investment to trade will be too tempting. 

I mean, the lack of supply should in theory raise Darnold's trade value. If I was a win-now team, I'd rather take a shot at Winston or Fitzpatrick before Darnold, Wentz's contract is gross for his risk-level, so I don't really think he's a trade option for a win-now team who presumably is going to be cap strapped next year.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think the notable difference is those teams were largely competitive and able to make deep runs. Their roster isn’t really geared to be on a holding pattern while they tinker with rookies... or not? Maybe WSH thinks Fields can be the difference maker. 

it would make this off-season insane tho. 

Right but even in that case, Darnold isn't a great answer.  As I said, I think he's going to be viewed as a project.  If they want a "plug n play" guy at QB, why not, say, Winston?  Sure, he mostly sucks, but you can win some games with him and he's exciting.  You don't need to hit the "reset button" and work on his mechanics like you do with Darnold.  

This thread is simply about supply and demand of a precious commodity.

We know demand is high already even without those teams losing their QBs.  The Jets, Falcons, Lions, Broncos, Panthers and more seem to possibly be in the market.

What you're describing is the demand increasing even more.

It puts teams like the Jets with lots of Cap space, high Draft picks and an option on a QB like Darnold in an even better position.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Paradis said:

• Ben retires over trying to work with PIT on the financial chaos that looms ahead of that team
  • Brady goes to the SB and hangs them up

You're talking about a QB Vacuum that will leave - PIT, TB, NOS, IND, WSH all without a proven solution... ALL playoff teams too

Fall out would include:

• Overpaid veterans like Winston, Brisset, Fitzpatrick, Keenum etc
  • HOU could in theory ask for ALL the picks ever, and some GM's daughters. (mileage may vary) 
  • An appetite for reclamation projects like Darnold, Haskins, Trubisky, Goff even, Wentz maybe too
  • value of the NYJ and MIA picks at #2 and #3 become more priceless than that bitch Da Vinci painted 

Most of the teams you refer to don't have the salary cap room or draft capital needed to make a serious offer on Watson.

PIT and NO don't have the cap or the picks.  WFT, IND, and NE have the cap, but not the picks.  TB has the cap, not the picks, but might be able to put some players in a package for an outside shot.  

It really still comes down to NYJ and MIA with CAR as a dark horse and maybe DAL as a very, very dark horse since the comp picks should be kind to them.  HOU can entertain the rest, but unless a team was going to give up three years of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks, it's a small club of buyers.

On the same note, trading down from #2 gets harder the lower a partner is in the draft.  CAR and DAL get more interesting since it would cost less than Watson though, and since it's a rookie deal, ATL can get involved as well.

• Upvote 1

"Mileage may vary" & "that bitch DaVinci painted"  haha

On to business:

• In this scenario, I'd still plan on keeping Darnold for another year, not only because I'm a Darnold-anon dude, but because the increase in value of the #2... 'the price of the brick just went up' - Marlo Stanfield
  • I'd still prioritize staying in the top 10 though; I place a premium on players like Chase, DeVonta, Farley, Sewell, Pitts or your choice of second tackles 
  • Really I'd just be asking for more for that pick, but I still think we need both top-end talent (blue-chippers, high in the draft) and surplus talent (picks everywhere)
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jets trade down twice, from 2 and then trade down again to late teens, end up having 4 1st rounders next year.

We still walk away with a lot of good draftees this year and totally  control the draft next year

Let other teams run after big doubt QB's like fields and Zac wilson.

Run with Darnold for the one year, he either suddenly looks good or doesn't move on from him next year if he does not light it up.

Good QB prospects surface every year and you do not have to traded up too high to get one.

I one million percent agree with this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jets trade down twice, from 2 and then trade down again to late teens, end up having 4 1st rounders next year.

We still walk away with a lot of good draftees this year and totally  control the draft next year

Let other teams run after big doubt QB's like fields and Zac wilson.

Run with Darnold for the one year, he either suddenly looks good or doesn't move on from him next year if he does not light it up.

Good QB prospects surface every year and you do not have to traded up too high to get one.

I agree good post..:beer:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

You're talking about a QB Vacuum that will leave - PIT, TB, NOS, IND, WSH all without a proven solution... ALL playoff teams too

Fall out would include:

• Overpaid veterans like Winston, Brisset, Fitzpatrick, Keenum etc
  • An appetite for reclamation projects like Darnold, Haskins, Trubisky, Goff even, Wentz maybe too

I think this is also an argument to solve for the QB position this season.  With the second pick, we have our choice of any QB in this draft other than Lawrence.  If we like Wilson/Fields, take the guy.  Waiting until next year, when maybe we are picking in the teens, we could have an awful lot of competition to find a QB without the draft capital to move up high enough to get our guy.

I do not want to head into 2022 still looking to solve for the QB.  We have the 2nd pick NOW.  Deshaun Watson mamy be available NOW.  If we don't like any of the QBs at 2, then we need to try to solve for QB in FA or trade.  If we don't get Watson,  at least bring in a guy in his 20s to compete with Sam so maybe one of these guys can prove they are the answer in 2021.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Wow, I would mourn that. it would make me that much older...

I know you’re wondering what I would do....

Because of the reason @Lith and @redlichtie mentioned (may not be able to afford “waiting”) I think you have to take a real extra long look at drafting a QB at 2. In theory Darnold’s value will never higher and thus if want to trade him - nows the time. Maybe we trade out of 23 to a team that has to reach on Mac Jones. 

alternatively, if you want to leverage that need in trading out of #2, you’re gambling on Darnold reinventing himself. Gonna be joining a fray of teams next year tho if it doesn’t work out. The draft haul of trading back twice will be huge. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

"Mileage may vary" & "that bitch DaVinci painted"  haha

On to business:

• In this scenario, I'd still plan on keeping Darnold for another year, not only because I'm a Darnold-anon dude, but because the increase in value of the #2... 'the price of the brick just went up' - Marlo Stanfield
  • I'd still prioritize staying in the top 10 though; I place a premium on players like Chase, DeVonta, Farley, Sewell, Pitts or your choice of second tackles 
  • Really I'd just be asking for more for that pick, but I still think we need both top-end talent (blue-chippers, high in the draft) and surplus talent (picks everywhere)

Oh hoorah! If Darnold stinks we get to pick high again in 2022. Can't wait for the endless "the best QBs in college" threads.